Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 18, 2012
Here is how to make it to work:
Install the driver utility before inserting the USB adapter. Running the CD that came with it first is a good way of doing it. Downloading the latest driver utility from TrendNet web site and running it first is another. Actually this is the best way while you are waiting the adapter to arrive, so all you have to do later is to plug it in. The third way is to let Windows 7 to install it for you automatically (if you are running Windows 7, 32-bit or 64-bit) by directly inserting the adapter, but updating the driver might be a hassle. Seemed to me you have to unplug it and then update the utility. If you inserted the USB adapter first and couldn't get connection (maybe that's why some of the reviews here are bad), don't worry. Unplug the adapter and start over. Don't leave the adapter attached when you try to install/uninstall the utility.

SPEED:
Some reviewers said it would always display 150 mbps regardless of the true connecting speed. I was also curious about this and spent some time to investigate. It turns out this is not true. The adapter max out at 150 mbps when it is running at normal connecting speed (i.e., the communication speed between this adapter and the router). This is an indication that you have a good router signal strength. However, when the signal strength or quality is poor, it WILL show lower speed. I have seen 120 mbps and even 60 mbps at different locations or after running the computer for a long time, in which case I would change my location or just put the computer to rest a bit. Also, 150 mbps is not the speed into the Internet. The maximum speed between the Internet and your modem is determined by your ISP (DSL or cable company), and it varies depending upon the broadband Internet package that you pay for. In actual Internet speed tests it can reach 10-15 mbps anywhere in my two story house except where there is a metal blockage. My wired gigabit connection is getting 24-25 mbps. I have set my router to N only mode since I also bought a TrendNet media bridge (which works great) to help other slower g devices with wire connection option.

PRO:
SIZE: It is pretty small, although not the smallest on the market (refer to this review later). The size matters a lot to me. When you have to carry it around, especially when placed on a bed, you would always wish it was smaller.

CON:
1) I wish it could reach 300 mbps maximum connection speed specs as as claimed. The reality is this is a false or misleading claim.
2) The main problem I had was that if I wake up my HP notebook running Windows 7 64-bit, the web connection is mostly likely lost. I would have to re-connect it manually and this is annoying. I have less problem with PLANEX GW-USNano-G.
3) I wish it were a half smaller.
4) The blue LED light was bright and quite annoying. The PLANEX GW-USNano-G has a yellow light and tiny. AirLink has a smaller blue light. Neither one of them are as bad as this one.
5) I paid $26 for this, and now is only $19.

COMPARISON:
Competitor #1: PLANEX GW-USNano-G Wireless-N 150Mbps USB adapter. GOOD: Price: $17 (vs Trendnet $26), Size 22.5(L)x14.5(W)x7(H)mm (vs Trendnet 34x17x7mm), Speed: 150 mbps (vs Trendnet 150mbps), Band, 2.4GHz (vs Trendnet 2.4GHz). BAD: Max power consumption: ~1.5A (vs Trendnet 0.29/0.32A) This means it gets hot. Range: NA (vs Trendnet 50m/100m), smaller size=smaller antenna=shorter range.

Hands on test: The test was done on an HP Entertainment Notebook running Windows 7 64-bit. When plugged in, PLANEX looks roughly half the size as TrendNet. Signal strength: 5 bars (the same as the TrendNet). Connection speed to the router: 150 mbps. Actual Internet speed: roughly 10 - 15 mbps and very consistent (the same as the TrendNet). Power consumption: I didn't feel any temperature change during the test that lasted half an hour.

Competitor #2: AirLink101 AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter. GOOD: Price: $13 (vs Trendnet $26), Size 14(L)x34(W)x6(H)mm (vs Trendnet 34x17x7mm). It stick out of the side of the computer for only 0.55 inch! which is only half of Trendnet's 1.3 inch. Speed: 150 mbps, Band: 2.4 GHz. BAD: power consumption: NA (but I read the reviews it gets hot, so I think it draws more amps than Trendnet), Range: NA (smaller size=smaller antenna=shorter range).

Hands on test: The test was done on an ACER Netbook running Windows XP 32-bit, SP3. When plugged in, it looks roughly 1/4 the size as TrendNet. Connection speed to the router: 120 mbps. Signal strength: 4 bars (vs TrendNet:5 bars). Actual Internet speed: anywhere from 8 to 24 mbps (from different locations). The little size means the antenna is small and very sensitive to the signal strength. If you have a large house or a weak router, you may experience slower connection speed with it. Power consumption: I didn't feel any temperature change during the test that lasted half an hour.

CONCLUSION:
I would recommend a PLANEX GW-USNano-G adapter. Reason: Same connection speed, same performance, half the size, half the price.
on April 22, 2010
The good:
Received the product quickly and plugged it in and was up and running at N speed in ~10 seconds, not too shabby. Speed was far and above what I ever got with G, and it works all over my house.

The less than good:
Despite the 300mps claim, I'm pretty sure that the theoretical max of this card is locked at 150mps, and unlike every other wireless card I've ever used, the reported speed does not lower automatically based on real time performance statistics, it always says "150mps".

Why oh why do companies insist on putting OUTRAGOUSLY bright blue lights on things? I had to put a piece of electrical tape over the blue light because it was lighting my bedroom...

It also gets pretty darned hot - which so long as it keeps running doesn't bother me, but experience has shown me that devices that run really hot don't tend to last.

Overall a good product, but I can't give it 5 stars.
55 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2010
Very easy set up, great signal strength through a few walls over some decent distance.

Vista 64
on June 14, 2012
The dongle arrived relatively quickly and in good shape...Shipped in original retail box. HOWEVER, the 300Mbps speed as advertised is not quite right...Only after I got the drivers installed (which was not easy on a machine with XP...Took four tries and it's still buggy), I found that the broadcast speed the configuration utility reports is only 150 Mbps. So, I cruised on over to TrendNet.com, and learned that the unit has max transfer speeds of 150 Mbps up and 300 Mbps down. Was a real disappointment, because I waited for the price to drop for a true 300 (i.e. each way) mini dongle and ended-up with only 1/2 of what I wanted. Thought long and hard whether or not to send it back...Decided in the end to keep it - replacing it later when something else comes along. Vendors: Beware of what you post! I'm in sales, and your write-up is deceptive and wrong!!!
on December 13, 2013
Low quality, I have had constant issues with this heating up and then dropping connections regardless of the device it was attached to. Finally they other day it seems to have completely failed. I would recommend a different product.
on January 19, 2010
I know I can't add a lot of technical jargon and specs with my review but I felt the need to tell my short backstory about my purchase to try and give a second opinion. (Literally, since as of right now there's only one other review!)

Recently I upgraded my home network from G/N to just N with a new D-Link Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router, and even a Buffalo Technology Nfiniti Wireless-N Dual Band Ethernet Converter WLI-TX4-AG300N for all of my living room needs.

Well, everything was connecting at the N-level, my girlfriend's desktop, Macbook, even my desktop (just in..case?), with the big exception of my itty-bitty Acer Netbook which was forcing my auto-band router setting to broadcast at G! So I picked up this itty-bitty Wireless N adapter (it really IS teeny) with the sole purpose of being able to switch my router to broadcast N only, as well as to upgrade my Netbook's reception that would drop to 70% signal strength as soon as I left the router's room.

And I really realize--I do--that there's a possibility that my results are solely my own experience here and it's just me, and my configurations, and my underpowered little netbook, but that netbook, running this particular Trendnet adapter has almost no noticeable difference in *actual* speed, with a signal in the 90-percentile which now reports 150mbs when it's trying to obtain an IP address... but speeds as low as 70-90mbs depending on where I am in that living room adjacently next door to the computer room. Now, granted, this is better than the 54mbs I was maxed out at before with G... I guess, but as far as usability goes, there's no discernible speedboost with downloading, uploading, or just LOADING-loading with those extra bits from now being on the level in the world of Wireless-N signals.

I can't say for sure a different adapter would give me better results, mind you, since I needed to do something to upgrade anyway, but this was experience, for what it's all worth.
on October 10, 2014
I have puchased [10-12] of these over the last two years and was truly happy with them until I recently bought the TRENDnet Wireless AC600 Dual Band USB 2.0 Adapter, TEW-804UB. This one (TEW-649UB) performs well but there is NO COMPARISON to the newer model (TEW-804UB)! It's worth the extra money to upgrade to the newer model, the range is probably double and the signal strength for me has been 4-6 times stronger in XP Pro & 2-3 times stronger in Vista Business! The seller ships super fast & I will buy this product again from this seller... Good Luck! RH
on April 5, 2014
I recently acquired use of my resort's free hotspot for my computers so I've really had to work hard on finding good adapters. Of the several I bought, this one was the least efficient, bringing in about 6-10Mbps on average. And this is a faster N type adapter. My other Zonets, Alphas and Netgears (N's and G's) bring in from 50Mbps to 130Mbps with lightning fast response and hold the signal perfectly. (I'm about 60 feet away from the signal antenna). The necessary driver install made no difference in Windows and my 4 Linux OS already have the right drivers pre-installed. So I can't figure a reason for the poor performance I get with this one. The luck of the draw, I guess.
on November 7, 2011
I've used several of these now... Flawless every time. I've installed and tested on Windows 2000 up through Windows 7, Many distros of Linux and even on a Mac.
Even works on and old USB 1.1 port (although a litter slower on USB 1.1), but still works. This is currently my favorite way yo add WiFi without opening up a computer and finding a compatible WiFi card with empty expansion slots. Simply a great device for the money.
on May 7, 2013
I bought this thing two weeks ago and it died yesterday. I didn't buy it from Amazon but I just came across it here and feel it necessary to warn others. It doesn't give you anywhere near the speeds that the manufacturer claims. It was SERIOUSLY slow most of the time, very weak range, and it repeatedly dropped the internet connection. Also annoying is that bright blue LED light that keeps flashing in your peripheral view. It was like strobe lights in a disco. Don't know what they were thinking when they made that. Still, it was cheap and not worth the hassle it would take to return it so I just threw it in the trash. I just hooked up a new D-Link adapter, and WOW! Almost immediately the signal bars were at 100% and my internet was blazing fast again---the way it was when I used to be hardwired with cables. I would think twice before buying another Trendnet product.