Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on September 3, 2012
I used wireless routers for years.

For one thing, wireless range is only "not quite" to the end of my house and the gargage is out of the question. Signals are weaker the farther away you get. With several computers in the house and an xbox to boot,I was always looking for a way to make it better. I have bought 3 routers. The last one was the latest and greatest router. No change.

Wireless can be a nightmare to get to work right, and support is okay for about 90 days and then you are stuck out there on your own with a menu that looks like a space shuttle control panel.

Then, Eureka! I stumbled over the trendnet somehow. All problems solved. I plugged it in, hooked a cable from my router to it and plugged it in the wall. The only catch is that you cannot plug this into a powerstrip. It has to go right into the wall plug. I went downstairs and plugged the other one into the wall plug and connected my Kitchen laptop.

That's it. I have twice the speed of wireless (100mbs) and a solid 100% strength at all times. No dropped signals, no hassle with passwords (unless you want an in-house one). It comes with some software, but I didn't use it. No kidding!

I kicked myself for not getting one sooner and bought another set for my other computers. I even have a spare for when friends and family visit and want to use their laptops. I still have wireless for ipods, etc.

That was a year ago and I am still thrilled that I don't have to deal with complaints from everyone about how slow their wireless internet is.

I can't say enough good about this product.

I hope this review helps you decide. If you have any questions, comment on the review and I will get it in my email and see if I can help.
on December 16, 2012
I got these because I was getting terrible wireless reception in my apartment. After using the WiFi Analyzer android app on my tablet I could see why. There was like 20 wireless routers in my area jumping all over the channels (Auto Sensing). Since I love to play online games I would stretch a 100ft ethernet over to my PC on the nights I gamed. This would annoy my wife and create a tripping hazard for my toddler. These were really the only solution available to me. They worked right out of the box and gave me a 80-100mbps (Red LED)signal which is more than enough to cap out my 22mbps broadband connection. I knew I could get it faster so I looked into it further. If you read the directions you will see it recommends you don't plug it into the same circuit as large appliances. Well 99% of the time you are going to plugging it right beside your PC or home theater which require quite a bit of power. Your average powerstrip will not stop the fluctuations in power your PC and Home theater create. These fluctuations will muddy to signal of your powerline adapter thus giving your less than optimum speeds. So I did the following:

2 x Ferrite beads for my ethernet cables coming out of the adapters. They are cheap and they help eliminate radio frequency interference. A third one is optional, but I also put one on the outside/internet cable running into my router. On a side note, these worked great on getting rid of the white noise on my baby monitors.

Ferrite Core 3/8 Cord Noise Suppressor

1 x Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra for my PC (AT&T was nice enough to give me one for home theater when they installed my service). Yes this powerstrip is more expensive than your standard powerstrip but they are well worth it. They will stop your "large appliances" from muddying up the circuits. These things have been known to take the full brunt from lightening strikes and left the devices plugged in safe and they have a lifetime guarantee. For the record I'm not a salesman for Tripp lite I had to use these facts to justify the price to my significant other.

Tripp Lite ISOBAR6ULTRA Isobar Surge Protector Metal 6 Outlet 6ft Cord 3330 Joules

Once this was done I had Green LED's across the board on the adapter. I am very satisfied with the product. I will be buying more in the future.

Just a couple other things to note while your researching powerline adapters.

* These things run at half-duplex so if you have 100mbps its in essence only a 50mpbs connection. That's how these adapters can claim 200mbps speed. 100mbps one way + 100mbps the other way = 200mbps
* Look at the adapters ethernet plugs specs. There seems to be quite a few out there claiming faster speeds yet only use 10/100 ethernet ports. (That means they fastest they could go is 100mbps each way.)
on December 5, 2012
Bought these because my added on family room is where the PlayStation is set up to stream HD movies to.
Wireless was just not getting the job done, and frequently had to fall back to SD or just give up and go watch on the
computer.
I half expected to have a problem running the signal down the power lines from the original part of the house to the new
addition because the electrical for the addition is all new, but I have to say I plugged these in, reset the Play
Station to a wired connection, and that was the end of the configuration.
No more hassles watching the HD movies and shows I stream off of Amazon Prime.
on January 8, 2013
I have a wireless network, but one of the computers was on the far side of a brick fireplace. A friend recommended this product, and it's working perfectly.

Good points:
1. Setup was simple. It didn't even require installing software. There was only the little bit of rearranging to free up nearby outlets to avoid power strips.
2. It came with two 5' patch cables.
3. The second computer is now as fast as the first. No more fighting for the "fast" connection!

Bad points:
None so far.
on October 15, 2013
I have two of these units as well as two TPL-303E's. They worked fine for months, but then one of the 303E's failed to connect to the network. I then made the mistake of going to the TRENDET website, and downloading the Powerline Utility so I could add it manually, as the user manual instructed. By carefully following the instructions in the user manual, I ended up disabling every single Powerline device and trashing my network.

In desperation, since my kid's Roku and Wii were now offline (!), I paid TRENDNET $40 for a "Premium Support" call. Long story short, here is what I learnt - none of which is documented on the TRENDNET user manuals or website:

1. Unplug all the Powerline devices.
2. Plug one of the devices directly into your PC's Ethernet port and into a wall plug.
3. Go to the "privacy" tab in the Powerline Utility and enter your choice of network name in the "Private Network Name" field.
4. Click the "Set Local Device Only" button under "Place on This Network".
5. Disconnect the Powerline device from your PC's Ethernet port and wall plug.
6. Close the Powerline Utility. This is the important part, which the documentation doesn't tell you. If you don't do this, the new network key (your network name) won't be written to the next adapter.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 for each device.
8. Reassemble your network.

As I said, this procedure is undocumented, and it cost me $40 - more than the cost of two of the Powerline units bought as a bundle - to extract it from TRENDNET. Now I give it to you.
on December 15, 2012
I have Cox Ultimate Cable with 100Mpbs coming in. When a laptop is directly connected to my Apple Modem, I'm getting 90-120Mbps. Very happy with that. My iMac upstairs is getting 70-85Mbps wirelessly on my 5Ghz Wireless network. I was thinking that this product would give me the same ethernet speeds as hooked directly to it. No such luck. I'm getting around 44Mbps. Not even close to the 100 or the 80Mbps, and this is rated at 200Mbps, so it simply doesn't do what I expected it to do. Maybe I'm missing something, but I couldn't get the utility to launch on my Windows 8 PC Laptop. And they don't have a utility for the OSX. I have to return it.
on April 12, 2013
I was having issues with a media player that hooks up to my wireless router, which has a NAS (Network Attached Storage) connected to it; one corner of house to another. Every now and then the Wi-Fi would have issues, cause the movies to be choppy. Instead of getting into the attic to run Ethernet cable I figure I would give powerline Ethernet a try. So far so good, no issues, while I do get an amber color on the middle light, all is well. The house was built in 2007, so I don't think all the electrical sockets have the AFCI setup.

I have yet to truly test the bandwidth available, one PC to another PC.
on July 11, 2013
You can you this if your MAC or PC wireless receiver is bugging out. Just plug one into your router with and ethernet cord and into the power outlet and then the the other next to your computer and another ethernet cord into its ethernet port and BLAM your done and your computer is smoking hot. You can also plug in a wireless router this way on another level of your home or office doubling your signal with another firewall and more passwords (if you like).
on May 5, 2013
I've been using this device for a few months, and it works well. There's a hitch, though: TRENDnet warns you that it won't work if plugged in to a surge protector, and they're right. I conducting a few tests with just one endpoint in a surge protector, and performance degraded to near-unusable.

This is a pretty serious problem. If there is a power surge, it could in theory go into the unprotected TRENDnet device, and right through the ethernet cable into your computer. Using this device therefore renders your computer's surge protector more or less useless.

I bought an APC PNET1GB ethernet surge protector to go along with each TRENDnet device. That should solve the problem, but it does raise the cost of this approach significantly. Be warned!
on November 1, 2013
The item(s) were easily installed and worked with no problem. Unfortunately, I had recently upgraded my Comcast cable system from the older Motorola to the new "X1" system. As soon as I plugged-in the TrendNet adapters, my X1 system acted-up. As it happens, Comcast is having all sorts of problems with it anyway, but there's no doubt that the Trendnet adapters added to the problems. As soon as activated (several tries) the recordings on the main Comcast DVR box would become "unavailable". I had to return the Trendnet products.