Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on December 4, 2011
I thought this was a really sweet song. I like Regina Spektor's quirky style, and I like the fact that the song fits with the holiday theme, even though it's not an old Christmas standard. It's a nice addition to my collection. Thanks, Regina!
on December 4, 2011
Regina Spektor does a fine job with this simple New Year's song. The message of the song is universal; the lyrics are simple; the sole piano accompaniment is pleasant.

Give it a try. You might like it.
on December 14, 2011
This is a fine song beautifully sung with piano accompaniment, but the producer decided to randomly add some background noises like airplanes, machine guns, sirens, etc. I can't tell if it's satire, a song about wartime, a "busy city" NYC type setting, or what, but it is very distracting to me! I think the song would be much better without them (The Peggy Lee original has no silly FX). Then again, this was free Xmas 2011!
VINE VOICEon December 20, 2011
"My Dear Acquaintance (A Happy New Year)" is an interesting holiday song that contains much meaning. With the opening lines of the title of the song sung that reads almost like a letter and greetings, Regina Spektor shows how the importance of music can translate and reach many regardless of what time or place in which the listener may happen to hear this song. Its melody and symbolic lyrics communicate in so few words along with the special effects that rear in the background of the sound of New Year's revelers but also the irony of other sounds that invoke another meaning that resonates similarly to the traditional ode to the past and welcome to the soon present of "Auld Lang Syne."

Spektor does a good job to show the greater significance of things past and true with the beauty of a song. Indeed, "raise your glass and we'll have a cheer..."
on January 7, 2013
Someone must be downloading these on my account.
Sometimes Amazon offers free downloads of music. This must be one of them because I don't remember it and would not pay for it. There's no description here, and I like this song just as much as the amount of effort Amazon put in to marketing.
on September 19, 2014
Don't "get" the warfare sound effects. If it's a political statement, it should be an obvious statement, not a gentle tune punctuated with automated gunfire.Peggy Lee's original may be low-tech, low budget, analog recording but it fits the season better.
on January 15, 2013
I got this song from as a free sampler. I really didn't like it as much as "The Call" from the Prince Caspian movie. I rarely listen to it and if it's ever in a playlist it's by accident. But it's not bad enough to bother removing from a list...
on June 15, 2014
From the album 'Gift Wrapped: 20 Songs That Keep On Giving' and arranged in a modern style, 'My Dear Acquaintance [A Happy New Year]' is a keeper.

Its a nice addition to my holiday collection.
on November 27, 2012
I like Regina's other songs, but for some reason I didn't like this one as much. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, so make sure you listen to the song many times before buying it.
on May 4, 2013
Can't complain about a free song for library.

Amazon offered it for free so I downloaded it.

Not my choice of music but not the worst music in the world.