Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on April 9, 2012
Ni Hao Kai-Lan (Hello, Kai-Lan) is a kid's show about a young girl, her paternal grandfather, and her animal friends. Each episode deals with a minor problem the characters deal with, usually hurt feelings, and one of the characters thinks back to the incident that caused the problem. Once the characters figure out what went wrong, they have a song and then carry on. There's usually one or two new Mandarin Chinese words per episode and the standard "ni hao" (hello), "xiè xiè" (thank you), and "zài jiàn" (goodbye) in every episode. Unfortunately, the words are only pronounced rather than written out in characters or pinyin. I end up referencing the Wikipedia page that lists the episodes ([...]) to get the simplified characters and word listing.

From a parent's perspective, I didn't really like the nonsensical parts like tickling Mr. Sun to wake him up or driving a train over flying bugs, but my kids loved it. The ideal audience is probably 1-4 year olds. It's also nice to finally have the series on a video streaming service (Netflix doesn't currently stream it).

As an aside, there are some Beanie Baby versions of the main characters on Amazon. Ty Beanie Baby - Kai-lan - Ni Hao Kai Lan
0Comment13 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2012
My 3 year old really enjoys this show. A chinese-american girl living with her grandfather "ye-ye" with many animal friends. Usually there's a new mandarin vocabulary word tossed out but the main part is there's some social or emotional difficulty that occurs with one of the animal friends. Such as fear of heights, fear of trying a new food, impatience waiting for a new toy to be built, anger at being copied. Then Kai-lan leads the way in finding out what's wrong and helping to find a solution. The answer to the problem is always sung in the same tune. For example, what to do when you've caused a problem: first you say you're sorry and then you fix it. Afraid of trying something new? Just try it try it try it (which I sing to my picky-eater daughter).
on November 29, 2013
one of a handful of shows I'll let my toddler watch. The characters aren't rude to each other, and instead focus on trying to understand and help with their friends' emotions and struggles. It's pretty simple stuff, but it's good for toddlers and probably preschoolers. There's a sprinkle of mandarin words, but not a ton.
on February 20, 2015
My daughter (2 years old) absolutely lives this show. On Saturday morning when she is allowed to watch some cartoons it is usually her request upon getting out of bed.

And the messages it teaches are usually good ones, with some reinforcement between different episodes even which I liked. When the characters are upset she will often join in the concern.

Regarding the Chinese, my wife speaks mansion so our daughter gets significant Chinese outside of the show so I don't know of what she repeats from the show is purely from it or also from my wife. She will repeat the Chinese words and use them outside of the show.

Recommend highly to anyone with young kids looking for something with good messages and some addicting tunes.
on February 22, 2015
Quality show with top notch animation. It changed my life forever. I can no longer go a single day without watching an episode. If I miss an episode, I turn into a unstoppable Dragon that destroys my entire city. That's how life changing this show is. 10/10 would watch again.
on March 13, 2014
My daughter loves Ni Hao Kai-Lan, both season 1 and 2. She's learning Chinese from the show and some of the behavior concepts we have been teaching not to do. She loves to share now, because we remind her from the show, sharing is good!
on September 29, 2013
Both my 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter absolutely LOVE this show! It's adorable and has heartfelt values, including family. I'd choose this one over Dora any day.
on April 19, 2013
As a mom I can't say enough about this series. It is fantastic! My kids love to watch this show. I love the fact that it teaches positive character development (like caring for the feelings of others) as well as introducing children to Chinese language and culture. That is the main reason why I bought this series. If my children are going to watch TV, then I want that time to be as productive as possible.

As for the show itself, the animation is good and the characters are adorable. In my opinon this show is well suited for kids age 6 and under although I'm sure kids older than that might like it, too. This cartoon is certainly not annoying like some of the other learning kid programs I have had to endure. Can you say, "backpack backpack" anyone? If you are a mom you know what I mean by that. And speaking of that, there are some silly pauses in the show where the kids are expected to talk to the TV, but there are not too many of those. My kids just ignore those parts.

Overall, this series is great and I would recommend it to other parents who are looking for a show their kids will enjoy and learn from, too.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2015
My 2 year old enjoys this show. However, this episode was very..boring. She doesn't care for it, but likes the others.
on September 14, 2014
daughter loves this show has since she was a baby shes now almost 6 and loves it just as much!