Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on November 29, 2013
one of a handful of shows I'll let my toddler watch. The characters aren't rude to each other, and instead focus on trying to understand and help with their friends' emotions and struggles. It's pretty simple stuff, but it's good for toddlers and probably preschoolers. There's a sprinkle of mandarin words, but not a ton.
on February 20, 2015
My daughter (2 years old) absolutely lives this show. On Saturday morning when she is allowed to watch some cartoons it is usually her request upon getting out of bed.

And the messages it teaches are usually good ones, with some reinforcement between different episodes even which I liked. When the characters are upset she will often join in the concern.

Regarding the Chinese, my wife speaks mansion so our daughter gets significant Chinese outside of the show so I don't know of what she repeats from the show is purely from it or also from my wife. She will repeat the Chinese words and use them outside of the show.

Recommend highly to anyone with young kids looking for something with good messages and some addicting tunes.
on March 8, 2016
So my daughter who is 20 months accidentally purchased one episode of Ni Hao Kai Lan from our prime account and was hooked! So I decide to buy her the whole 1st season. She has picked out a few Chinese words now which we think is pretty cute. Some of the episode can be redundant as in there is always one character upset and they help them be better. But as long as my little one is happy and keeps learning, that all that matters.
on April 12, 2016
My child (3 y/o) loves Kai-Lan. It is a shame they only made 2 seasons. It is very age appropriate, and helps expose your child to a foreign language (Mandarin). I don't feel like they utilized this cartoon. It could have held more learning opportunities and they could have tried harder with the songs. Overall it is a good cartoon. It won't teach your child Mandarin, but it can help them get used to the sounds.
on April 9, 2012
Ni Hao Kai-Lan (Hello, Kai-Lan) is a kid's show about a young girl, her paternal grandfather, and her animal friends. Each episode deals with a minor problem the characters deal with, usually hurt feelings, and one of the characters thinks back to the incident that caused the problem. Once the characters figure out what went wrong, they have a song and then carry on. There's usually one or two new Mandarin Chinese words per episode and the standard "ni hao" (hello), "xiè xiè" (thank you), and "zài jiàn" (goodbye) in every episode. Unfortunately, the words are only pronounced rather than written out in characters or pinyin. I end up referencing the Wikipedia page that lists the episodes ([...]) to get the simplified characters and word listing.

From a parent's perspective, I didn't really like the nonsensical parts like tickling Mr. Sun to wake him up or driving a train over flying bugs, but my kids loved it. The ideal audience is probably 1-4 year olds. It's also nice to finally have the series on a video streaming service (Netflix doesn't currently stream it).

As an aside, there are some Beanie Baby versions of the main characters on Amazon. Ty Beanie Baby - Kai-lan - Ni Hao Kai Lan
on April 27, 2016
We all like Ni Hao Kai-lan; my 2-year-old likes the action, animals, singing, and interesting stories. I like the Chinese vocabulary and conversations about helping each other and managing feelings. I'd heard this show described as "Chinese Dora", but this is much better and smarter. This, to me, is more like Daniel Tiger. Excellent.
on August 20, 2012
My 3 year old really enjoys this show. A chinese-american girl living with her grandfather "ye-ye" with many animal friends. Usually there's a new mandarin vocabulary word tossed out but the main part is there's some social or emotional difficulty that occurs with one of the animal friends. Such as fear of heights, fear of trying a new food, impatience waiting for a new toy to be built, anger at being copied. Then Kai-lan leads the way in finding out what's wrong and helping to find a solution. The answer to the problem is always sung in the same tune. For example, what to do when you've caused a problem: first you say you're sorry and then you fix it. Afraid of trying something new? Just try it try it try it (which I sing to my picky-eater daughter).
on April 24, 2016
I like that it addresses feelings and how to cope with angry and sad feelings... the chinese is on point... and you learn single words... but don't look at it to further your childrens mandarin skills if they have the basics already... it's a great introduction to the Chinese culture.
on December 9, 2014
My 3 year old daughter absolutely loves this show!! She interacts with all the characters constantly. I love to hear her giggling and repeating the Chinese words that they teach. She loves to tell me that she can speak Chinese and then goes through all the words she knows! "Mommy, 'Ni Hao' means 'Hello' in Chinese! And 'Ho Ho' means 'monkey'!"-etc...She is so proud of herself for learning the language! Out of all of the shows that she watches, Ni Hao, Kai - lan has definitely taught her the most. I highly recommend this to any parents looking to educate their young ones and introduce them to diversity!!
on October 26, 2015
My nephews accidentally purchased $50 worth of cartoons before I figured out what was going on. They obviously love the cartoon. Make sure that you can turn off the ability for small kids to automatically purchase content if you have Amazon TV!