Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on September 20, 2011
When "Modern Family" premiered in the fall of 2009, it was a breath of fresh air. An incredibly brilliant, well written and acted series depicting family life of the Pritchett/Dunphy clan. It was one of the best things I had seen on network TV in years. From start to finish, the debut season was an instant classic, and the show deservedly got the attention from critics and award shows. But then came the obvious question. Can they do it again? Was the show a one season wonder? Would they suffer from the ever dreadful 'sophomore slump'? When season two premiered in the fall of 2010, it was apparent right away, especially with the first few episodes, that any fears or doubt were instantly washed away. Season 2 premiered as strong as ever, and rolled out 24 high quality episodes. But first....

A little catch up. The series features Pritchett family patriarch, Jay (the fantastic Ed'o'Neill), who is married to a much younger columbian woman named Gloria (Sofia Vergara), and step-father to Manny. His daughter Claire (Julie Bowen) is married to Phil (Ty Burrell), and they have three children, Haley, Luke, and Alex. Jay's son Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) lives with his partner, Cameron (the hilarious Eric Stonestreet) and their adopted daughter, Lily.

Season 2 got things off on the right foot. The season premiere, "The Old Wagon", was a strong welcome back that showcased everything that makes the show so great. Humor and heart. The episode dealt with Phil finally deciding to get rid of the old family car, but not without one last trip down memory lane. One of the season's best episodes for sure. Next up is "The Kiss". The show had had some controvery surrounding the gay characters of Mitchell and Cameron never kissing. This hilarious episode focuses on Mitchell's growing concern of Cameron's reluctance to show passion in public. It was such a well done episode that made the ballyhoo surrounding it into nothing, as the episode handled it in such a normal, natural way, and didn't make a big deal out of it. Brilliant! Episode 3, "Earthquake", was supposed to be the season premiere, but was pushed back to be the 3rd episode. It doesn't take much to figure out what the episode is about. "Unplugged" is a great episode that features Phil and Claire persuading the kids to all give up their electronical devices and learn to communicate better with each other. "Halloween" is another instant classic. Claire goes all out for the holiday and has everyone playing a part, but of course, it doesn't go too well. Elsewhere, "Caught In The Act" is an unflinchingly funny and honest episode where the 3 Dunphy kids catch their parents 'in the act '. Valentine's Day laughs return in the hilarious "Bixby's Back", and Nathan Lane shines as a Mitchell/Cam buddy who befriends Jay in "Boys' Night". "See You Next Fall" deals with Alex's middle school graduation, and the hilarity that ensues trying to get there. The season ends with Jay's birthday and him just wanting to go fishing, but his family has other plans in "The One That Got Away". There's so much more!

Some say season 2 DID in fact suffer from a sophomore slump, but I just don't see it. The second half of the season isn't as strong as the first, but that doesn't mean anything. It's still great. The overall season is yet another testament to the great writing, acting, and directing that was established in season one. Each character is still fully fleshed out and with their own unique personalities. The incredibly talented cast continue to make their charcaters full fledged, fully fleshed out characters we love, care about, and laugh with. It doesn't hurt that the writing is so sharp, so clever, so relatable, and the humor as top notch as ever, for the actors to once again display why they are the best ensemble cast on television. I love how the show never shys away from the sweet moments, how almost every episode ends with something nice. That's just not something you get a lot of on television these days. It's the show that not only makes me laugh, but can also move me and make me feel for these people. I can't remember the last time I said that about a network television show.

The season 2 set also comes pretty well packed with special features. Just like the season 1 set, it comes with Deleted Family Interviews, Deleted And Extended Scenes, and a Gag Reel. For the rest, we are treated to 6 featurettes (2 more than season 1) and a music video for "Imagine Me Naked", the song Dylan wrote for Haley. The new featurettes are "At Home With Modern Family", "Modern Family Holidays", "Mitch's Flash Mob", "Strangers On A Treadmill - Table Read", "Waiting For Oprah", and "Chatting With Steve Levitan".

Season 2 of "Modern Family" is worth every penny. Some special guests include Shelley Long, Matt Dillon, Natahn Lane, Elizabeth Banks, and more. In addition to it's cast, it can't help but have great guest stars too! Simply put, "Modern Family" is divine television. The rare show that deserves all the hype, all the praise, and gives me hope for network comedy. Season 2 is great. Pick it up now.
on February 24, 2011
I cannot get over how funny this show is. There has been times when I have laughed so hard at these guys. I love them! ABC has aired a wonderful show and season two has proven to be just as effective as season one. I look forward to this every week! And it does, in a way, remind me of my own family. Can't wait to keep laughing at these guys. Too funny!
33 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2010
If you watch this show and can't manage to laugh or even crack a smile, then I recommend a sense of humor transplant.
on March 29, 2012
Even this second season was outstanding which means... drum roll please... this TV show is definitely an all time favorite comedy that will be around for at least 8 seasons hopefully!! Season 2 is just as hilarious as the first! The studio kept all of the characters true to who they were in the 1st and all are still just as great as they were, even though they should probably have big heads after being the highest honored comedy series at the 2010 Emmy Awards receiving 6 including Outstanding Comedy Series for Season 1 right? Even if you haven't seen season 1 (which you'll be dying to see if you start here with the 2nd season first) you'll be caught up with knowing what the show is about and already have a connection with the characters from the first episode you watch since its not a sequential TV show like some others. To fill you in a little bit there are 3 families (who are all part of each others families too). Jay is a wealthy guy in his 60s who married someone almost half his age, the Colombian beauty, Gloria who came into the relationship with her son, Manny, from her previous marriage. Jay's daughter is Claire (married to Phil and they have 3 kids together) and Jay's son, Mitchell whose partner is Cameron, they have adopted a daughter, Lily together. The 3 families are hysterical to watch through each and every episode! Its even our President's favorite family TV show!
on July 31, 2015
There are very few television shows that I absolutely love and make certain never to miss, much less purchase in case I'm not able to find them on Hulu or Netflix in the future. Modern Family is one of those shows. I tried watching an episode with my daughter and at first didn't like it. It was almost two years before I happened across a rerun on TV. It was the first episode of the first season - I have been hooked ever since There is a scene where a parent reprimands their child for shooting one of their siblings with an airsoft gun - even though it doesn't sound like it would be hilarious - it was. The characters are loveable and I find myself wishing I could be a part of their extended family. It is progressive, funny, and along with Parenthood, one of my all time favorite shows.
VINE VOICEon July 23, 2015
This is a television miracle. First, look at the creators: Steve Levitan (Just Shoot Me) and Christopher Lloyd (Frasier, Soap, Back To The Future et al) who are the Coen Brothers of half hour comedy. So the script structure is flawless.
By the middle of this season we are in love with these flawed, loving characters. Yup. The writing. (Staff writers and producers-saame thing-include Dan O'Shannon, CHEERS and FRASIER, Danny Zuker, Bill Wruble and others-only two are women) But it's elevated by an ensemble cast of brilliant actors ranging in age from 11 to 93. Ed O'neil's worth more than a mention because we thought of him only as the stereotype sexist role on "Married With Children." I only saw two episodes of that but the difference in the two characters is worthy of Meryl Streep. The children actors ACT. They're far more than cute. The direction (single camera) is by Michael Spiller and on a par with Jimmy Burrows. The editing is on the same par. From the brilliant theme music to the revolving logo for Lloyd and Levitan every second of "Modern Family is fun, funny, brilliant and captivation.
It breaks new ground. In a mockumentary style alkin to Christopher Guest (This is Spinal Tapp, Waiting For Guffman and Best In Show) the actors shine in their "interview (an aside "whisper" for us) segments whether full minute secquences or just an expression. We see three normal familes, all related (Ed plays the Patriarch married to his second wife and her 12 year old son; she a bassy, bright bombshell of hot with her heart on her sleeve; the boy, a metropolitan ladies man with metrosexual clthes, a penchent for Turkish coffee and ties and pocket squares for his many suits. Manny's a lover.) each family is about the characters. Dad's ex-wife is the remarkable (and still gorgeous Shelly Long) his son and daughter have their families, Claire, a beautiful if not anxious mother of three teens who's married to a mildly dorky fFather who likely keeps a box of keepsakes and son Mitch, an uptight if not anal retentive attorney in a new relationship with Cam, a once music teacher with no inhibitions and now stays at home dad to their cute, adopted daughter, Lily who has forced change and energy into their home.
This is everyone's extended family, with the quirks, the mess ups (Phil accidentally advertises his wife and daughter on their minivan as escorts.
Ahem.)
So we now relate to them and, frankly, wish our families were as close and in love as this one.
Dick Van Dyke. Mary Tyler Moore. Cheers. Friends. Now this.
on January 3, 2015
Writing a review for a sitcom can be a bit difficult, as comedy is a concept that almost defies explanation. Either something is funny or it isn't, and analyzing it usually only makes it less funny. What I can say about this second season of "Modern Family", though, is that it remains funny for nearly ever single episode and my interest hasn't waned a bit.

What's really impressive about a show like this is that it can be hilarious by using the same formula over and over. I mean, through two seasons, the basic premise of the show remains exactly the same. There are really no character arcs or drama plotlines in the show at all...just comedy each and every episode. Though kind of reminiscent of "The Office" with its interview-style premise, there is very little "emotional stuff" (i.e. drama) in this show at all. The comedy is enough.

I think this is because the characters are so incredibly strong. Phil Dunphy (Ty Burrell) is my favorite character, and (truth be told) I think he is kind of the glue that holds this show together sometimes, as well as his interactions with wife Claire (Julie Bowen) and family. Other characters are great too, but I don't know if the should would work without Phil & Co.

One other character-centric thing I noticed about this second season: an increased focus on gay partners Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) & Cameron (Eric Stonestreet). Whereas in the first season I found them to be the "weakest" of the show's diverse cast, I really gained an appreciation for the type of humor trying to be conveyed this time around.

Overall, the second season of "Modern Family" passes my own personal sitcom litmus test: the next season is already on its way!
on February 13, 2012
MODERN FAMILY gives me faith in TV again. The art of of delicious comedy writing is not lost. Yes, MODERN FAMILY is so delightfully funny and heartwarming that you want to totally eat up every splendid moment.

Life in today's world has drastically changed the family module and hence we have the MODERN FAMILY - a blend of different families and cultures untited in their family love. This family is outrageous and yet totally delightful on all levels. Jay is the family patriarch and is married to the much young and totally sexy Gloria who brings a young son to the new marriage. Jay's daughter Claire has the traditional marriage with a husband three kids. Jay's son Mitchell is live the alternate lifestyle with his gay partner Cam and their adopted daughter from Vietnam.

The one-liners in this show are zingers. Don't miss a second. The writing and the acting are exceptional. It is like every piece fell perfectly together to form a wonderful show.
Sprinkle in hilarious guest stars like Nathan Lane and Shelly Long and the show gets even better.

MODERN FAMILY is a total must for any comedy fan. Don't miss it.
on April 7, 2011
This show is hilarious. Great timing on all the jokes. The gay couple is always funny as hell. When Phil gets hit by the car and yells "oh no!", ha ha ha. I rewound it 10 times. My wife and I love the show, Looking forward to buying season 2
on August 23, 2012
This is a solid show that gives us a breath of fresh air from the mundane repitition that we currently have on televison. I appreciate the diversity of families and ages, and the humor is spot on. I was worried that they would lose their spark from season 1 since this is such a different show, but I'm glad that they haven't.

I also appreciate all of the extras that they apply to the DVD. We as viewers love the show so there's no guessing to why we purchse the entire season, but it's an added bonus to see some of the deleted scenes, bloopers, etc.

A worthy buy.