Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Item Package Quantity: 1Size: 1 RollChange
Price:$3.97+ Free shipping (Addon item)

VINE VOICEon June 22, 2010
Item Package Quantity: 1Size: 1 RollVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Leave it to the adhesive masters at 3M to come up with a solution to a common annoyance -- noisy packing tape. This impacts me more than the average person because this particular sound grates on me and causes the painful sensation most people think of when they hear nails on a chalkboard. Sure Start Tape solves the problem with a smooth, no-fuss, no-noise unravel that doesn't stick to everything (except the box) while you're unrolling it. It's what shipping tape should have been all along, frankly.

As for the dispenser, it's nothing fancy, but it should be enough to get the job done. You simply pull a paper tag off the edge to expose the serrated blade which is just sharp enough to cut the tape but not so sharp as to easily cut yourself. Still, you'll want to keep it away from small children. My only complaint is there doesn't seem to be anywhere we can grip the dispenser that won't also grip the sides of the tape, making the unraveling difficult. You may end up pulling the tape out by hand, then using the blade to cut or just transferring the entire roll to a tape gun.

The tape itself seems to be slightly less sticky than standard shipping tape but it has no problem staying attached to standard cardboard boxes and envelopes. Scotch has made a convert out of me and I'll use this type of tape in the future.
VINE VOICEon June 22, 2010
Began using the Scotch Sure Start Shipping Tape w/ Dispenser immediately after delivery and the dispenser worked flawlessly - of course the tape does its job also. However, the point of the dispenser is to enable the taping of box seams which can be done with one hand as the other is keeping the two cardboard ends together. I've no doubt others may find different uses for this product but for my intended use it's perfect.
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2010
I'm constantly packaging/shipping things, so I use a lot of tape. This tape, while it unwinds easy and is easier to start, isn't something I'll use on a regular basis. It's not terribly durable and the adhesive seems...off...to me. I'd suggest going with the standard Scotch shipping tape, or better still their Super Strength tape - my new favorite.
VINE VOICEon June 22, 2010
Without question, choosing a shipping tape when you need to send a package should not have to be rocket science. All one really needs is a reliable product that is easy to use and of good quality. The Scotch Sure Start Shipping Packaging Tape certainly fills the bill on all counts. The tape secures my packages nicely & the dispenser is absolutely no trouble at all. It's also the easiest tape I ever used when it comes to finding the edge of the tape when you need to proceed to your next mailing, when & if you do manage to lose the edge of the tape (this happens rarely, as the simple & effective design of the dispenser keeps the edge of the tape in place near the cutting teeth virually all of the time.) I mail packages to family & friends around the country & even as far away as Austrailia quite often, so I appreciate a packing tape I can rely on. This Scotch Sure Start Shipping Packaging Tape certainly does the trick!
I like this package tape it is almost 2 inches wide, thus wide enough to cover well were the box ends meet, and comes off the roll easy. ***DO NOT LET CHILDREN UNDER 12 USE THIS*** Why 4 stars because the red plastice guide has a very sharp metal edge for cutting the tape. It is easy to cut your finger ( I cut mine). So be carelful when using. I would still buy this again, but be more careful when using.
on August 28, 2011
Bought 3 rolls. First use was to attach a small piece of paper with speed dial numbers to the back of my three telephones. The tape, for this purpose, is useless. I then tried what was left of the US Postal Service tape (looks the same), and it held perfectly. The Scotch product is clearly inferior. Rather than try on a package, I will return for a refund.
on November 29, 2011
This is a thick tape, and works fine if used without the dispenser.

But while using with this dispenser, the sharp teeth at the end aren't able to cut this tape properly, forcing me to use scissors. If you apply too much force to try to get it to cut the tape, you end up risking injuries, and misaligning the tap seam or hitting table or whatever object the box is lying onto.

I won't recommend this product.
on May 6, 2015
I normally buy the smaller red one. I tried this one, because it was a better deal. For me, this is my new favorite 3M packing tape. It's so easy to unwind, I'm not use to it. It has worked great for me in taping items, and packages. For boxes, I would try the Heavy Duty one. I don't think this one is strong enough for those tasks. Give it a try.
The tape is lightweight, but strong.
The dispenser keeps the tape end in place where you can see it easily and ready for the next use.
The cutter works very well.
There is no pulling or struggling with the tape.
There is no making mistakes. This shipping tape is very quick and convenient.
A fine product.
I've got no issues with this tape. In fact, it's pretty neat stuff, in that you don't get that deafening "Schrkkkkcksksk" noise when you pull out a section of it, which is perfect for when I need to wrap a huge package in the bedroom at 3:00 in the morning. The tape is good and clear, thick, and comes easily off the roll. It does not split into little threads, and cuts in clear widths. If it doubles back and sticks on itself, it comes apart easily and you can still use it, which is a big plus.

The dispenser is the part of this product that has me shaking my head.

First, the packaging, with that cool green accent (is it really good for the environment? there's nothing on the packaging that says this, but I have to conclude that this is the marketing intent) and "Sure Start" copy seem to be forming an arrow drawing your attention to the little tabs on the red plastic dispenser. Well, the tape does start well, in that they've cut a serrated edge, which also is not sticky. There is no mistaking where it begins, and like a rally racer sprinting to his car, you are ready to start taping your valuable Ebay items in mere seconds. It's a nice touch, but nothing that spectacular, honestly.

At the very front of the dispenser, on each side of the serrated metal cutting bar (complete with its lightweight cardboard cover proving warning that you could be grievously injured if you underestimate is raw slicing capacity), is a slightly curved and raised set of strips which seem to be forming a gripping area. If so, this is about as awkward as it gets. Maybe 3M and its legions of Scandinavian ergonomics specialists have determined this is the optimum point for the maximum ratio of taping pressure to speed of rolling tape outlay, but this grip just don't work for this humble user. I've always grabbed it by the dispenser on each side at the top of the roll, and it's all worked out just fine. Maybe some gripping strips up top would really make this thing sing...

I actually pulled the label off the dispenser, which given its heavy glue on its entire surface and not just the surface contacting the dispenser, makes a mess. The label remains sticky, and it does not come cleanly off the dispenser, which is unsightly and a pain in the rear to tidy up completely. But, the payoff is that the inside of the label tells you that the dispenser is indeed reusable. It's even got directions and a little graphic to show you hot to quiclkly open it up and put it onto a new roll. Strange in that the outside of the label does not state that the dispenser is reusable; I'd think this would be a strong selling point.

Bottom line: All in all, this is a great product, as it delivers on its promise. The tape is fine, but the dispenser is a bit over-engineered.