Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on April 20, 2012
My dog was pretty fond of chewing this toy until the ring became stuck around her bottom jaw, behind her lower canines. It took my husband and I 30 minutes to get it off her, with her screaming each time it shifted as the "plaque removing" hard plastic spikes dug into her gums. She was left bleeding and terrified but luckily were there to help her otherwise I think she would have really hurt herself trying to get free.

For the record, she is the appropriate size for this toy, though her snout is a bit on the small side.

Just beware, and maybe opt for a different shape of Nylabone.
88 comments32 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2014
We had this toy for several months for our puppy. She loved it. However, we just had to take her to the vet to get it removed from her mouth!
The circle part of the toy got locked inside her mouth behind her canine teeth and we could not dislodge it.
Because it was chewed up and sharp on the edges, each position we tried to move it in, just cut into her mouth more and more.
The vet had to totally sedate her and get bolt cutters to cut it off on each side.
I am sure this is rare and it must have been the fact that her mouth was at a perfect angle.
But I wouldn't take the chance on purchasing one if I were you.
It was very traumatic for the whole family and the Bill was $129 to get it removed!
Suggest another nylabone without a small opening!
on June 17, 2011
My black lab is a very powerful chewer. I've boughten so many different toys for her, and Nylabones seem to be the only toys that actually last a while. Any other toys and she bites pieces off within two minutes.

She really loves this Nylabone! She's had it for about two months now and it's starting to get pretty gross due to her bite marks and the fur and everything on the bone, so I think I'm going to buy a replacement one now. But it's very impressive for a dog toy to last for two months with my crazy chewer, so I think we were both very happy with this particular bone!
on January 6, 2014
i buy nylabones for my dogs often. they LOVE them. unfortunatly, this design is very dangerous for dogs. my one pup got the "triangle handle end" lodged under her lower jaw and up through her mouth behind her lower canine teeth. she was in extreme pain and very scared. THANKFULLY after a good bit of trying, i finally removed the bone and threw it straight in the trash. at one point i feared that i was going to have to take her to the emergency vet because i was having such a difficult time removing it. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS BONE
on July 8, 2011
This would be great for a smaller dog, but I bought it for my 75lb lab/pit and it is tiny. The description did not mention that it was for dogs up to 35lbs. Don't buy this for bigger dogs.
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2013
Our dog loves chew toys so we like to have a few options around for her to chew. We got home from dinner tonight and she was playing with this toy and thank goodness someone was here to help her because she got her lower jaw stuck inside the today and was shrieking and panicked. We threw the toy away. We use a lot of Nylabone products and have not had any problems besides this particular design.
on February 2, 2011
We have two, one year old retrievers (a Chesapeake and Golden). They both LOVE to chew.

The Nylabone products seem to satisfy their urge to chew, but they are certainly not "chew proof". We bought the Textured Tug Chew Toy along with four other Nylabone designs, as well. They've had them for just over one month, and there are significant portions of all the toys missing.

The message is, powerful chewers will still have their way with these toys, it just takes a little longer. When these are "gone", we will likely replace them with more Nylabone chews, as they do last longer than the other toys we've purchased. It would be nice to have a toy that was truly chew proof, but I guess it would have to be structural steel, or something similar!
on August 19, 2011
Our dog loves this chew toy. She is a heavy chewer and it has lasted pretty well. Will be buying more in the future. :)
on June 7, 2013
Like others, I bought this product for a large (70lb) dog because the product description doesn't say it's for smaller dogs. And like other still, my dog got his lower jaw stuck in the triangle portion of the toy. Luckily, since he is large it was easy for to take it off of him because it couldn't get very far. He loves Nylabones and I have never had any issues with other products, but this one needs to be appropriately advertised for smaller dogs (although I don't think that would erase the issue of a dog getting stuck in it. In fact, a smaller dog could get stuck more easily). Back to the dinosaurs it is!
on November 2, 2013
I usually love all Nylabone products. Perhaps this is the only one I would not recommend, specifically to pet owners of dogs with long narrow snouts. My Australian Shepherd's bottom jaw fit so perfectly into the triangle shaped section that it got stuck on his jaw. We had to hold him down and gently maneuver it off without pulling on his teeth. Needless to say, it went into the trash. I would just say to anyone with a dog of similar build in the face as an Aussie, just get a different chew toy.