Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

Size: Iphone 4/4sColor: blackPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on August 18, 2010
My search for the best "everyday" iP4 case may finally be over. After having tried several other cases (listed below) and reading reviews of even more, the Incipio NGP Matte is the closest to meeting my needs.

* Apple Bumper- Minimal protection. Reports of scratching steel band and streching after continual use.
* Griffin Reveal Etch- Very nice look and feel, but rubber sides were too loose for my liking.
* Speck Candyshell- Confident about its protection, but too bulky, scratch-prone, and incompatible with most pin connectors.
* Incipio Silicrylic- Precise fit and compatability. Silicone layer picks up lint (removed easily, but still...).

Incipo NGP Matte
- Perfect fit.
- Perfect balance of grip/slickness. Does not attract dust/lint.
- Clean looks.
- Does not hamper LED flash performance.
- Easy to operate phone controls.
- Superb compatability with 3rd party docks and connectors.
- Material is tough to scratch.
- Easy to install/remove.
- Good size lip to lift front screen off surfaces.
- Thick material provides both shock and puncture protection.
- Compatible with screen protectors.

- Case shows marks from being removed from mold (some more than others).
- Thicker than Apple Bumper

If you can live with the slight blemish*, the NGP Matte provides the ideal balance between protection, size, grip, and function. It is easy to put in and out of pockets, provides excellent grip/feel without picking up unecessary dirt/lint and offers clean lines to enhance its attractiveness. The best "everyday" case I have tested so far.

*Mold marks may even be removed with careful dremeling. Proceed at your own risk.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2010
This little $20 case may be the best purchase I've ever made!! I wish I could give this product 10 stars!!

Let me tell you a brief story:

I previously never had a case on my iPhone 4 before, because I thought the phone was too beautiful to mar with a case. Well that was a huge mistake, because 2 weeks ago, I accidentally dropped my iPhone 4 on the sidewalk and the screen shattered into about a million pieces, the sides of the iPhone were completely crushed in, and it basically looked like my iPhone had been run over by a tank. All this from a minor 4 foot drop out of my hand onto the ground.

I had to purchase a brand new iPhone from the Apple Store to replace my damaged one, and I vowed to always use a case from that point forward.

I had always loved Incipio's cases for my old iPhone 3GS, so I snapped up this NGP case for my iPhone 4. Really nice rubbery material that doesn't stick to your pockets, and feels very solid in your hands.

But I didn't know how well it would protect.

Well, last night I had a chance to find out. I was eating dinner with some friends and I was showing them something in the iPhone. I sneezed, and ridiculously the iPhone went FLYING out of my hands, across the room, bouncing like an acrobat on the HARD TILE FLOOR about 10 times and twirling & flipping in the air in between each bounce. it was HORRIFYING! I was watching it happen in slow motion, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It was about a hundred times worse than the minor drop which destroyed my old iPhone 2 weeks prior.

When my new iPhone finally came to a screeching halt about 20 feet away, I was expecting the worst. I was terrified to pick up my iPhone, which was facing down on the hard tile ground. I picked it up, and LO AND BEHOLD, this Incipio NGP case COMPLETELY PROTECTED AND SAVED MY iPhone!!

My iPhone was still in MINT CONDITION... not a SINGLE SCRATCH NOR DENT on the entire phone!! AMAZING!!!! And the case was still completely intact as well... not a single mark on the case either! This case protected my iPhone and was ready to start serving duty again immediately!!

This case is a miracle worker!! I am sold for life on the Incipio NGP cases!!

Thank you, Incipio, for making such an outstanding product!!
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2010
Bought my iPhone 4 recently and was doing some research on cases for the iPhone. I did also personally check with one to many iPhone users who have used several other products and tried their cases on mine. The various products I tried either were flimsy, bulky, ugly looking and bad design. After some extensive research for such a small thing, I purchased this Incipio iPhone 4 case.

What really surprised me is the simplicity of the product and yet something that offers everything I needed.

1. Clean cover and finish (no finger prints)
2. Easy and precise access to all controls (all sides of the phone)
3. Solid Protection and cushioning
4. Firm grip to the phone
5. Scratch resistant (so far haven't had any, my usage is quite rough)

Cons (if you think that protecting your investment is more important, then this may not be a con for you)
1. Adds about 3-4 mm thickness to the phone, but not too much considering other products
2. Looses the side and the back beauty of the product as it is Matte Black
3. Does not offer front screen protection, you may need to protect it with some other screen protection product

Well, for the amount I paid, I think it offers more than what I needed. Its been only 2 weeks of usage so far and hope to test it some more time. Will post some updates after some rough use.

I will certainly recommend this product to users who need a simple and easy to use product to protect their iPhone.

Update - 12/21/2010

One drawback I noticed is that when I tried to plug in non conventional 3.5mm pins for audio out, the pin was not firmly inserted in. I guess the thickness of the material as well as the gap for the hole does not let the pin to be firmly placed. I had to remove the cover and plug the pin in. If you use non conventional audio out, you might want to think twice. Still recommend this product, as it provides great protection and cushion to the phone.

Update - 10/11/2011

My phone dropped off a few times on hard surfaces and not even a scratch. The drawback I previously pointed out is no longer a drawback. I use conventional 3.5 mm pins without having to remove the cover and sometimes blue tooth relay for the audio. Worthy investment of every penny.
on July 13, 2011
I just reviewed (and returned) the Case-Mate iPhone 4 Jett Metal Case, color=Grey so I thought it would make sense to review the case I replaced it with. The Jett was replacing a Case-Mate Barely There Slim Case for iPhone 4. So this is the third case on my quest toward a perfect iphone 4 case.

I really had a few simple requirements from a case when I started:
1) not bulky or stick to my pocket
2) protect the device from a moderate drop

Along the way, I added a few more grading criteria. (The reason I added them is in parenthesis.)
3) Don't degrade my reception (Jett)
4) protect the screen when placed face-down (barely there)
5) not too slippery (barely-there)
6) appearance (NGP)

A few high-level comparisons between these very different cases are important before I begin my review. The jett case is a metal bumper-style with a lip extending front and rear. This case is a plastic case with full rear and side coverage, and lip extending front. The jett case is not quite 4x the cost of this NGP. The barely-there is the most low profile case I could find, it is fairly slick and does not extend whatsoever to protect the screen.

The NGP ends up being a compromise. Per the above criteria:
1) It is not the lowest profile, but it's not too bulky. (Lose a half-star for bulk.) It is the perfect amount of grip. It feels perfectly smooth, and is easy to remove from pockets. At the same time, it grips fine in the hand. The polymer is much better than a softer rubbery or silicone material in that it does not stretch or stick.
2) It will definitely protect the device. It is not a hard plastic, but in fact it will take a good impact. It also has substantial corners (hence not the lowest profile) but not too obnoxious.
3) It doesn't degrade reception at all (unlike the Jett case which did)
4) It has a good bead around the front, again not the lowest profile, but not too obnoxiously big. So the screen is well protected.
5) As mentioned above, grips perfectly fine in the hand.
6) It is admittedly not a sexy looking case. The Jett looks really freaking slick (although a bit bulkier) whereas the barely-there looks great. This NGP is very plain. Not glittery, not feminine, and not hello-kitty. So it works for me, but definitely its appearance is not up to apple standards and would make Steve Jobs cringe. (So, lose a half-star for appearance.)

One nit is that the fit around the volume buttons is imperfect. It's difficult to explain, but here goes... The volume buttons slightly protrude from the iphone, whereas the inside of the case does not have corresponding cavities to marry up with these buttons. Consequently, the case bulges out very slightly at those buttons. It is easier than it should be to accidentally mash the case and hit a random "volume up or down function". This is acceptable, although they really should have done a better job of it. (So, lose a star for design).

All things considered, this NGP met all of my criteria except for the appearance being a bit bulky or utilitarian. If you are all about apple, this would definitely not be your case. But if your phone spends lots of time in your pocket or in your car cupholder or on your desk and maybe flipped on its face, this is going to keep your phone safe.

Perhaps this is subjective, but I would go as far as to say that the iphone4 is inherently less case-friendly than the iphone3. (assuming you want a full case). Iphone3 has far better looking (and lower profile) full cases due to the rounded back. Iphone4 cases have square backs and generally have flat sides which simply add more material and bulk. I hope the iphone5 returns to the rounded back as the rumors claim.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
Use common sense folks. These are not made for drop protection. They are made from thin flexible rubber. It does exactly what I wanted/knew it would, sweet looking cassette phone that allows me to grip it better so I don't drop it!

All three fit like a glove on my 4S and I am REALLY happy with the way they look, I have only had it (white one) on for 2 days and have gotten tons of comments on it! All 3 have the charger cut out on the bottom and the buttons/holes line up with everything on the phone.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
Just a quick unpackaging of the product. Although rumored to have an opening at the bottom for the charging port, mine did not. Not that big of a deal for me, but hey.
on August 26, 2011
This case is awesome. And even though you can see some of the Apple logo through the holes on the back, it's great. Love the retro cassette tape. However, part of their description is false. I had read previous reviews that stated that the case would need to be taken off to plug it into a charger, but their item info states: "Furthermore, all the openings for the dock connector, charger, side buttons, speaker, headphone jack, and camera were precisely cut to allow full access to all of the iPhone 4's functions."

This item DOES NOT have an opening in the bottom for the dock connector/charger. It also DOES NOT have holes for the side volume buttons or the top "off" button, but that isn't a problem since they still function. If purchased, you will need to either pull off the bottom of the cover to charge the phone, or cut holes yourself, which is what I plan on doing.
on May 11, 2011
This is my husband's case. We have the VERIZON iPhone 4. In fact, this case is selling in the Verizon store for $29.99! It fits very well and he really wanted a clip on holster as he wears his phone on his belt along with a pager. The phone slides in and out of the holster easily and I love the textured feel of this case. While in the holster, he has complete access to the power button, if he wanted to quickly route a call to voicemail. Mostly, I am envious of the NEAT slide out kickstand on the back. I was even thinking of buying one for myself and using it solo (without the holster) as it still offers decent protection outside of its holster. It is a well designed kickstand for viewing in both vertical and horizontal positions. The kickstand slides out forming a triangle stand. You will be very pleased.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2014
Okay so I just recieved this case today in white/gray (phone is white but can't tell) ordered it just a few days ago
I have an actual LIFEPROOF case and got this GENERIC just to have a different color and because of the cost
I mean this case is an amazing price compared to the Authentic Lifeproof case which is $80 and this case cost me $6.48 for my iPhone 4s and it really is waterproof/dirt proof I threw my phone in the pool for the heck of it and even snapped a photo while under water came up dried it off opened the case not one drop of water on my phone!
So if your trying to you could actually purchase 10 of these cases
Now for the quality of the side buttons thy are a little hard to push but just like new shoes you will have to break them in when you 1st use them and for sound clarity I just called my 63 year old grandma and she hear me loud and clear and same on my end for hear so ppl who can't hear must just be deaf or have selective hearing lol
As for the charging port it was a little hard for me to pull the bottom (French manicure) out but I'm assuming it should be since the phone is made to be protected so GET THIS CASE you won't regret it! When the iphone 6 comes out I will defiantly be going with this generic 😁👍👏
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2014
Exactly what I was hopping for, this is exactly the same as the Otter box, the only difference is that on the back it doesn't say Otter. I have Iphone 5s and even with the home button covered, it is very easy to flip the rubber and still have enough room for the my finger to have access. I have had the cover for about 8 month and have dropped my phone countless times and their are zero cracks or scratches. Forget paying for the high end products when this is the exact same.
review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse