Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Color: Red Dispenser|Style: Clear Tape|Change

on January 2, 2014
For some reason I thought it was going to be one of those big rolls but it's about half the size. That's fine though because I'm using it on small packages anyway. It is very strong tape and I like that it comes with the cutter so no more trying to tape and find scissors at the same time.
review image
on May 15, 2012
I really like this small roll because it fits easily in my small drawer; and it wraps packages very firmly. The dispenser works perfectly once you get the hang of it. You hold it by the rough edges near the cutter and it unrolls easily. When you cut it, don't apply even pressure, but do so at an angle so the starts at one edge or the other. I only wrap packages now and then so it is perfect for me. If you need to wrap a LOT of packages, Scotch makes larger rolls and you can buy them in sets of 3.

I only wish they sold the small rolls without the dispenser, it feels wasteful to get a new dispenser each time when I could be reusing the same one for several rolls before the cutter began to get dull.
on September 9, 2013
In a nutshell this is a very thick tape. Before you purchase said tape, please for the love of all tapey goodness read the product dimension. The width is less than 2-inches. The length (entire roll of tape) is about 800 inches, so it is about 66-feet of tape. If you need wider or longer tape then move on to the next tape. Just close this chapter in your life. This tape isn't for you... move on.. move.. on. Don't look back.. just move on.

Anyways, when you use it you'll have that sense of security because it is so thick. I mean, really it is thick. The downside is that this tape isn't really sticky. You really have to press down to make sure that the tape is on the package. Sometimes the tape doesn't stick onto the cutter thingy. Would I recommend this tape in particular? Yeah, sure.. if you don't rarely need to use packing tape. There's other tape out there in this big bad world of ours that can do a better job.. and probably cheaper... plus there's this thing called a scissor to cut the tape off.

Who cares if this tape is loud when you use it? I don't. If I did then I wouldn't have bought this tape. I would've bought the scotch tape that sole purpose was to be silent tape/low noise tape.

TL;DR
I gave this 5/5 stars because it did the job that it was intended to do.
I also found out that you can subscribe to the 6-pack version: Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Packaging Tape, 1.88 Inches x 800 Inches, 6 Rolls with Dispenser (142-6)
on December 4, 2012
Luckily, Amazon gave me a complete credit for the item without requiring me to return it. I bought this because my current packing tape dispenser has seen better days. Unfortunately, this roll of tape is tiny and will not fit regular rolls of packing tape. See my customer image above. So if you're looking for more than just a small bit of packing tape with a tiny dispenser, look elsewhere.
review image
on July 18, 2015
I bought this shipping/packaging 3M Scotch 1.88 inch wide "Heavy Duty" tape roll/dispenser combination in 2013. I don't ship much from home so I did not need much. Back then I believe I received 15 yards(45 feet/540 inches) of tape which is less than the 800 inches( 66.6 feet/ 22.2 yards) sold now.

This small roll of tape was usually very useful when I had to ship(return) stuff back to Amazon(tape up the Amazon boxes and attach labels printed on a printer). I don't have a large size tape dispenser/"gun" at home so this combination is very useful. I also used it in 2013 when I had to move for several months to a location more than 1,000 miles away, I taped up boxes of things/stuff I would need and put them in the back of an SUV and drove that distance on all types of roads, when I got to my location all the boxes were still sealed(some were difficult to re-open with the tools I had then where I had used several layers of this tape). I actually forgot the roll of this tape I bought on Amazon at home so I went to a store and bought another one(same kind) and then used it to pack for the return trip. Some of the boxes I had taped up in 2013 are now in storage so this tape has held up for that long. Amazon's own custom made tape usually dries up and detaches from boxes after several months.

I have used cheaply made shipping/packaging tape before, my 2 jobs where I had to pack and tape something both had cheap thin tape which did not stick right to the surface or ripped(disintegrated) easily. I at times wondered whether I was doing something wrong, the bosses got angry when I used "too much" tape because I did not feel that cheap tape would hold together. Scotch's "Heavy Duty" tape does not look or feel cheap, also being "Made in the USA" you know the company is not cutting corners(intentionally reducing quality and outsourcing) to "maximize profits and dividends" like so many other companies who now sell junk.

Both of my rolls ran out of tape this year(2015) after very infrequent use. So if you use this kind of tape every day this is not for you. I looked for "refill" tape and this is the only one I could find:

Scotch DP-1000RF6 Packaging Tape, 1.88 Inches x 900 Inches (6-Pack)

I needed shipping tape to return some items to Amazon and was not ready to wait "2 to 4 weeks" so I bought a larger roll/dispenser of Scotch's "Sure Start" tape which will allow me to use larger 54.6 yard "standard" rolls in the future.

Update 10/5/15

I was able to use the refill tape in the link above in the dispensers for this tape.
on February 11, 2016
I've tried generic brands, Scotch mailing tape, and most recently a packing tape by OfficeMax. The Scotch Heavy Duty is thicker than any other plastic tape I have used. In some ways I appreciate the thin, generic tapes, because their thinness allows them to adhere to the package more securely. But they are not very strong. The roll of Scotch mailing tape was thick but did not adhere as well as I would have liked. The OfficeMax tape is fine. This Heavy Duty tape is sturdier than all the rest, though, and it sticks very well. This makes it ideal for heavy boxes, particularly for storage, but not as good as paper tape for shipping heavy boxes.

The dispenser is well-designed, as long as you keep your fingers away from the cutting edge. The serrated edge cuts the tape easily, and there are two plastic hooks that catch the end of your tape, so it neither sticks to itself or to the blade. This works better on the Scotch dispenser than on other brands I have experienced. The dispenser works fine for dragging the tape across the top of a box, but all this extra plastic does seem wasteful, and the rolls with the dispensers are not very big. If you're moving, you will probably be better off with the larger rolls without dispenser.
on February 24, 2016
I have used the Scotch brand packaging tape dispenser and tape for years and I love it. It is easy to use, you can do it one handed, and once they are taped they don't come open until you cut them open.
I have used the tape to repair things like a broken center pole on my Christmas tree, that was several years ago and it is still holding.
I also ship on Ebay and use this tape to close the boxes and tape on the labels. I tape over the address section of the labels so they do not smear if they get wet plus it closes those boxes tightly and they do not come open during mailing.
In a pinch, I have also cut small strips and used it to tape wrapping paper on Christmas presents.
I can use the dispenser one handed leaving my other hand free to hold the package or item being taped in place.
I would recommend this tape and dispenser to anyone requiring the use of a packaging tape.
VINE VOICEon May 14, 2015
Nearly identical to what I have been using by Scotch, but now just slightly narrower. Haven't tried it yet. But it is good tape, especially for mailing and boxes. And the plastic dispenser is excellent, keeps the end from becoming stuck back down on the roll.
on December 31, 2014
Dispenser is relatively useless but the tape is thick and super-sticky. I trusted some very heavy packages to this product this year, even though I had the option to use clear duct tape. I'm on the fence now that I've tried both products, but as a 30+ year devotion to duct tape, considering another product as similarly worthy is quite a leap
on March 26, 2016
I purchased this as an add-on item for around $1.00 - I see that the price now is over $6.00.

The dispenser is just Ok. It tends to bend when held and not release the tape easily. It is not a smooth transaction and find myself cutting the amount of tape I need and then applying it to the envelope/box, etc.

Now for the tape: Awesome! - Strong tape, not some knock off stuff that is half as thick and turns into a messy ball after you cut it because it is so light.

I do like the tape, the dispenser? not so much.

Is it worth a $1.00? Yes, definitely. Good price for a roll of tape with a so-so dispenser.