Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Color: Red DispenserStyle: Clear TapeChange

on January 2, 2014
For some reason I thought it was going to be one of those big rolls but it's about half the size. That's fine though because I'm using it on small packages anyway. It is very strong tape and I like that it comes with the cutter so no more trying to tape and find scissors at the same time.
review image
0Comment27 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2012
I really like this small roll because it fits easily in my small drawer; and it wraps packages very firmly. The dispenser works perfectly once you get the hang of it. You hold it by the rough edges near the cutter and it unrolls easily. When you cut it, don't apply even pressure, but do so at an angle so the starts at one edge or the other. I only wrap packages now and then so it is perfect for me. If you need to wrap a LOT of packages, Scotch makes larger rolls and you can buy them in sets of 3.

I only wish they sold the small rolls without the dispenser, it feels wasteful to get a new dispenser each time when I could be reusing the same one for several rolls before the cutter began to get dull.
0Comment25 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2013
In a nutshell this is a very thick tape. Before you purchase said tape, please for the love of all tapey goodness read the product dimension. The width is less than 2-inches. The length (entire roll of tape) is about 800 inches, so it is about 66-feet of tape. If you need wider or longer tape then move on to the next tape. Just close this chapter in your life. This tape isn't for you... move on.. move.. on. Don't look back.. just move on.

Anyways, when you use it you'll have that sense of security because it is so thick. I mean, really it is thick. The downside is that this tape isn't really sticky. You really have to press down to make sure that the tape is on the package. Sometimes the tape doesn't stick onto the cutter thingy. Would I recommend this tape in particular? Yeah, sure.. if you don't rarely need to use packing tape. There's other tape out there in this big bad world of ours that can do a better job.. and probably cheaper... plus there's this thing called a scissor to cut the tape off.

Who cares if this tape is loud when you use it? I don't. If I did then I wouldn't have bought this tape. I would've bought the scotch tape that sole purpose was to be silent tape/low noise tape.

TL;DR
I gave this 5/5 stars because it did the job that it was intended to do.
I also found out that you can subscribe to the 6-pack version: Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Packaging Tape, 1.88 Inches x 800 Inches, 6 Rolls with Dispenser (142-6)
11 comment26 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
Luckily, Amazon gave me a complete credit for the item without requiring me to return it. I bought this because my current packing tape dispenser has seen better days. Unfortunately, this roll of tape is tiny and will not fit regular rolls of packing tape. See my customer image above. So if you're looking for more than just a small bit of packing tape with a tiny dispenser, look elsewhere.
review image
22 comments14 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
There is not a whole lot you can say about packaging tape!

The reason I purchase the Scotch heavy duty tape is that it is quiet when using. I typically use tape at night when my kids are asleep and my office is right by there bed. I had other tape that made the loudest, most obnoxious noise when you are peeling the tape off the roll. Scotch tape is very quiet and the tape has excellent adhesive qualities.

This tape is perfect for my needs. I use it for taping labels to packages, taping bubble wrap envelopes shut, and taping boxes shut. I find that one line of tape on most boxes is sufficient which saves me money by having to use less tape. The roll is very easy to use, lasts a long time, and the tape is crystal clear.

The one thing I will say is that this tape makes a LOUD noise when pulling tape off the roll. It's so loud I can't use it at night because my office is near where my kids sleep and it wakes them up.
on July 18, 2015
I bought this shipping/packaging 3M Scotch 1.88 inch wide "Heavy Duty" tape roll/dispenser combination in 2013. I don't ship much from home so I did not need much. Back then I believe I received 15 yards(45 feet/540 inches) of tape which is less than the 800 inches( 66.6 feet/ 22.2 yards) sold now.

This small roll of tape was usually very useful when I had to ship(return) stuff back to Amazon(tape up the Amazon boxes and attach labels printed on a printer). I don't have a large size tape dispenser/"gun" at home so this combination is very useful. I also used it in 2013 when I had to move for several months to a location more than 1,000 miles away, I taped up boxes of things/stuff I would need and put them in the back of an SUV and drove that distance on all types of roads, when I got to my location all the boxes were still sealed(some were difficult to re-open with the tools I had then where I had used several layers of this tape). I actually forgot the roll of this tape I bought on Amazon at home so I went to a store and bought another one(same kind) and then used it to pack for the return trip. Some of the boxes I had taped up in 2013 are now in storage so this tape has held up for that long. Amazon's own custom made tape usually dries up and detaches from boxes after several months.

I have used cheaply made shipping/packaging tape before, my 2 jobs where I had to pack and tape something both had cheap thin tape which did not stick right to the surface or ripped(disintegrated) easily. I at times wondered whether I was doing something wrong, the bosses got angry when I used "too much" tape because I did not feel that cheap tape would hold together. Scotch's "Heavy Duty" tape does not look or feel cheap, also being "Made in the USA" you know the company is not cutting corners(intentionally reducing quality and outsourcing) to "maximize profits and dividends" like so many other companies who now sell junk.

Both of my rolls ran out of tape this year(2015) after very infrequent use. So if you use this kind of tape every day this is not for you. I looked for "refill" tape and this is the only one I could find:

Scotch DP-1000RF6 Packaging Tape, 1.88 Inches x 900 Inches (6-Pack)

I needed shipping tape to return some items to Amazon and was not ready to wait "2 to 4 weeks" so I bought a larger roll/dispenser of Scotch's "Sure Start" tape which will allow me to use larger 54.6 yard "standard" rolls in the future.

Update 10/5/15

I was able to use the refill tape in the link above in the dispensers for this tape.
on January 3, 2013
I have always used the packing tape from the post office and thought it was fine. But after using this tape I actually am surprised to say this tape changed the way i thought about packing tape! It sticks GREAT, and best of all the design of the dispenser actually keeps it where you don't have to always pull the tape off itself. I hate finding where the tape begins after it's stuck to the roll. I haven't had to do that once with this thing! I don't know what the difference is with this roll, but I know it works. Good job Scotch.
My wife and I use a lot of this tape. It's very strong, very adhesive, and at 2" wide, it's 2½ times as wide as the regular 3M Scotch tape. It's so versatile that we use it for several purposes, including wrapping packages and taping mailing labels to envelopes and packages. With almost 67 feet of tape on the dispenser, it's a bargain at Amazon's price, which is considerably less than our local drugstore sells it for.
on January 9, 2013
There are few things in life more annoying than cheap packing/shipping tape. I recently moved, and probably went through about 30 rolls of this stuff. It is horrendously expensive for tape, but worth every penny if you've ever attempted to move using cheap tape that keeps getting stuck to itself, ripping, etc. Never again. The Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping/Packing tape is strong, convenient stuff.
on December 31, 2014
Dispenser is relatively useless but the tape is thick and super-sticky. I trusted some very heavy packages to this product this year, even though I had the option to use clear duct tape. I'm on the fence now that I've tried both products, but as a 30+ year devotion to duct tape, considering another product as similarly worthy is quite a leap