Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon December 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll echo what others have said about this product in their reviews: It's an elegant way to quickly cool down your wine before drinking. Keep these in your freezer all the time and you'll always be ready to chill your wine on short notice.

I sensed an opportunity to add value to this review, so I made like I was back in school and did a lab test using my wife's instant-read thermometer. The wine was taken off the shelf, and I poured exactly five ounces into a wine glass (as measured with a measuring cup). I took the wine chill drop out of the freezer where we're keeping it. I then took the temperature of the wine before commencing the chilling process and then at one-minute intervals thereafter. For each temperature measurement, I took out the chill drop, stirred the wine, and inserted the thermometer. I held the chill drop up while I did this so it would not transfer heat to the counter service. Here are the results:

Time (min)...........Temperature (degrees F)
-----------------------------------------------------
4................................53.7
5................................52.1
6................................50.9
7................................50.2

For the seventh measurement, the thermometer turned itself off so since I had to reactivate it, the timing was off for an eighth minute measurement. But from these data we can conclude:

- Each chill drop can cool five ounces of wine about 20 degrees in eight minutes.
- In 90 seconds, you get about 10 degrees of cooling.

So to achieve the recommended temperatures for white and red wine as described in the product description, you will need to serve five ounces per chill drop, not more; and you will need to keep the wine at a temperature of 70 degrees or less.

I'll definitely keep using this product because it's convenient and chic.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sometimes you buy something for fun and it doesn't always have to be practical. I've found that often such things cost more than they're worth.

At the positive end of the scale, these wine chill drops are pretty cool looking and as such are a conversation starter. I have bought or have received as gifts several "bar" items that are nice to trot out when guests come over. Some are unique shot glasses, another is a powered wine bottle opener, and yet another is a margarita chiller. None of them are necessary but in a small way help to show guests they are special.

I live in a warm climate and like my red wine SLIGHTLY chilled, very slightly chilled. Adding ice instantly waters the wine down and makes it undrinkable. Chilling the wine in the fridge almost always makes it too cold. Putting the wine chill drop in my glass for 4 minutes gets it just right for me.

Each drop comes with a weighted little plastic cup with a rubberized base to hold the drop after it is removed from one's glass. A quick rinse of both pieces followed by a wipe down and after a few minutes of drying they can be returned to the freezer. Since they retain cold for a long time, the "recharge" time is about as long as it takes to leisurely sip a glass of wine.

While the shiny metal drop looks rather elegant, the fragile feeling plastic part seems out of proportion and not very svelte. My biggest complaint is where the two pieces are joined there is an unusually large gap, which can be difficult to keep clean. It these were $5 items I could excuse that, but at the ultra-high premium price I expect the gap to be absolutely seamless.

Keeping in mind that this is a novelty or luxury item it's hard to state if the price is "too high" but I do feel compelled to knock off a star for that. And the gap between the bowl and the handle loses another star. I would say that if they were $15 - $20 they would be more impressive.
on January 30, 2011
These drops are amazing! They chill your wine (and other beverages too) extremely fast! They are very stylish and make for an interesting conversation piece as well since many people have never seen these before. No matter what temperature you like your drinks at, these drops can get it there quickly. Leave one in a glass of wine for about a minute and it will be as cold as if you had been chilling it all day.
on April 27, 2011
Great product. My wife likes her red wines chilled & was always putting ice cubes in her wine.....total party foul!!! These are kinda pricey, but they really do the trick, constructed very well. No more watered down wine!!
on January 8, 2012
This item is perfect when you want the wine that is not in the wine fridge! It chills the wine, in the glass, in a couple of minutes. If you are looking for a gift for a wine lover who has it all (or so you think), get them the chill drops. Every time they are used, I hear "I love this!"
on January 30, 2012
I keep these chill drops in the freezer. When my husband and I want to open a bottle of wine that has not been sufficiently chilled, we insert the chill drop for a couple of minutes, and the wine is perfect.
on January 8, 2015
If you don't have a fancy wine fridge, these are a neat little trick to get wine ready for drinking. I bought these as a Christmas gift for my wife who likes to drink white wines. If you store these in your freezer, you can open a room temp bottle from the rack, drop one of these chill drops in, and have it at a great drinking temperature in usually less than 4 minutes (depending upon your temp preference). I even like to drop the temp on my red wines sometimes and in just 2-3 minutes, it's perfect. Once you've used it, just rinse it off and put it back in the freezer for the next time.
on July 6, 2013
I originally received a set of these chill drops for Christmas and I thought "hmmm, that's dumb" but then I tried them and fell in love. The drops work especially well (and quickly!) for red wine when you want to bring down the temperature of a glass of wine to "castle temperature" to bring out the full flavors of the wine. I also use them with white wine when I'm impatient for a glass before the wine is chilled. I keep them in the freezer, use one, rinse it off, and pop it back in the handy stand until next time. (I do keep them in a zip lock bag so there's no chance they will absorb any off flavors or odors from other items in the freezer.) They've made great gifts to other wine lovers.
on January 17, 2014
I purchased this for my friend who is a white wine lover. Adding ice cubes just dilutes wine, so we needed something else. The stones sold also on Amazon work just as good, but taking them out when you are ready to drink is an inconvenience.

Tip: when you are done using chill drops, be sure to rinse it with water and wipe thoroughly as even the minimal amount of water will freeze as soon as you put it back into the freezer.
on January 22, 2014
As many reviewers note, these do work, and they work well. Kept in the freezer, these will chill a substantial glass of wine quickly. The chill drops stay pretty cool themselves for a long time and can be used for chilling more than one glass though the second glass takes longer. Simple rinsing and drying keeps them clean and the holders are dishwasher safe. The instructions caution against washing the chill drops in the dishwasher though.

The description says "Fits...Champagne flutes." They don't, at least none of the variety of flutes I have. The drops are all too large for the glass opening.

One caution: these drops have a club-like business end and a small thin handle. Given that I am quite the klutz, I find the chill drops too easy to drop inside a glass especially with wet hands, or to bang the club end against a fragile thin glass edge. I do wish the handles were designed for greater grip and were less slippery with wet hands, hence my 4- rather than 5-star rating. Also, for tall but large red wine glasses, the 5-3/4” chill drop is not long enough to stick out of the glass and could be another annoyance to some.