Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on October 18, 2011
We recently purchased this for our 2010 Acadia. We previously had the 4 ski powderhound w/ locks and this is far superior and worth the price. Before that we had a Thule 6 ski holder. The main reason we upgraded is the 4 ski size Yakima realistically only fits 3 pairs of skis with how fat skis are these days. I usually bring more then 1 pair of skis when my wife and I go on skiing for a long weekend; 3 pairs of oversize skis BARELY fit on the 4 ski size.

Pros:
-everything is included in the box, I was a little unclear if the "universal" mounts are included or just that the rack works great with the universal mounts, they are included as are the hex bolts, the L wrench to install, and 2 locks, also ready to install
-the rack has a lift kit built in, which basically means, if you want to put a snowboard or skis with tall bindings face down, you can raise the rack on your crossbars and fit skis up but also down. This help when you want to put snowboards back to back.
-low profile design. We have noticed the rack doesn't "whistle" on the top of our car as badley as the powderhound 4 when there are no skis in the rack. We haven't actually had skis in it this year so I can't comment on the noise with skis/boards yet.

Cons:
-the universal mounts are nice in that they fit almost all car standard racks but they are a touch bulky for my liking. Not a deal breaker but I like racks that are nice and clean, with minimalistic extras.
-not the easiest to install, not difficult by any means, but do set aside 20 min or so to get the rack tight, the locks installed, and the spacing of your roof rails to adequatly have room for bindings. As in, don't plan on throwing the rack on morning of if you are anxious to hit the mountain on the first day of pow.
-doesn't truly fit 6 skis unless you are rocking some K2 4's that are 88 underfoot. Any skis purchashed post 2010 the rack will fit 5, but more realistically 4.

Overall: I think this is the best "6" ski size rack out there. At Amazon's price with mounts and locks included, and ready to rock right out of the box, this is the best deal out there.
on February 27, 2012
I just had this rack on a ski trip and it worked out great! It sits high enough that the bindings clear the roof of the car. The foam/rubber grips ensure that your equipment won't slide around, but they're soft enough that it won't damage or scuff anything up.

It's also quite easy to latch down. the latch catches at various depths (like a zip tie) so it works fine for single or back-to-back stacking. It seems to be very aerodynamic as well. The drive up was very windy, but there was no noise and I still got decent mileage.

I was able to carry two snowboards and two sets of skis without problem. I could have probably also stacked on another two snowboards if needed. I didn't end up using the lock, but that is a nice feature to have.

Installing this onto the car takes a little bit of work. It only took about 15-20 minutes, but it definitely isn't just a snap-n-go solution. The mounts did fit on the wide flat aero cross bars from a stock Subaru Forester without a problem. The included hardware is of a very good quality and everything held on tight.

Overall I'm very pleased with this. I think during the summer it would be good for holding fishing rods as well, so I hope to get plenty of use out of it.
on February 5, 2010
I bought this rack becuase I wanted to be able to fit EVERYTHING on my roof. 4 boards, skis, mountaineering ski's which and snowboards at the same time... and snowboards with big bindings that require a raised racked option so they fit. This rack does it all. Easy to use, pretty easy to install, and no major issues.

I have had minor issues with locking and unlocking when I load the rack full, one time the locks jammed for several minutes before a buddy and I were able to unjam the lock with a little extra elbow grease (this was because we clamped the rack down too tight I think). Great Rack overall!
on January 27, 2016
Once mounted this system works well, but I wish it had a fast attach and release system as I like to take them off when I'm not hauling skis. You really need a second person to stabilize the rack when you put it on or take it off. I put my skis on side-by-side, so I don't really know if the roof clearance will allow inverted bindings ( I suspect it would though).
on October 26, 2012
I was lucky enough to have been sold (on the cheap) the Q Tower Yakima system (w/round bars) that the previous owner of my car had, but it came with no attachments because he ended up buying the new Wispbar Flush system (which he said were loud at highway speed on his new Q5) and would be using his current attachments on the new bars. I'm glad i went with the Fat Cat 6 over the Big Powderhound. It's super quiet even though they look like they sit high off the roof of my A4. I can imagine by looking at the powderhound that they are noisey and a lot less aerodynamic. The FatCats are super quality, easy to open and close, they stay open with a spring while loading your board, and snap shut super securely. The SKS locks work nice and fluid also. The FatCat6's came with 2 SKS locks installed. I made sure to take the cores out and slap some more waterproof grease on them so when the temps drop they will still operate... Someone else told me to keep a little can of lock de-icer in the car too, just in case...
on April 22, 2013
Works as described, holds my 4 boards nice and snug.

Pros
-Holds 4 boards easlily
-Easy lock and release, comes with keys

Cons
-Initial install was difficult and frustrating
-Key doesn't slide in well in cold weather
-"Risers" only rise one side, giving it a slanted look. This means that one board will have great chance of rubbing on roof since it will be on the low side of the slant (assuming 4 boards)

Overall I've taken this thing on about 1000mi of road trip through storms and such and has done its job well.
on January 21, 2013
Standard Yakima quality. Very nice design, engineered well. Installing for the first time is kind of annoying, you have to learn the mild nuances of tightening the bolts as you go, but once you take it off a time or two, its very simple. Very easy installation compared to other units I've seen. Will attach to either round or square bars which is nice if you have other than Yakima roof rack. I use on the Q tower system and it works very well. Also, I've noticed that these units sit much lower than some other similar board/ski racks of other brands which is great for the car.
on January 14, 2014
This is a good rack but one of the two has an issue with the locking mechanism. So far I've only used for 2 snowboards, side by side, so it hasn't been put to a full load test (which with the locking mechanism issue I am not sure I'll test).
on January 18, 2012
Excellent piece of equipment. Fits a variety of crossbars from other manufacturers as well. Aerodynamic shape reduces wind noise.

Best installed with a second person. I did it by myself but wished I would have asked a friend or neighbor to help me.
on February 3, 2015
These are pretty awesome, but my only complaint is that the locks don't feel secure. They don't click into place, but rather feel like they slowly get pushed around until the latches won't open. They do the job and I haven't lost any skis yet, but the locks could be slightly better. As others have said, putting these on with one person is possible, but it takes around 20-25 minutes.