Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

on October 18, 2011
We recently purchased this for our 2010 Acadia. We previously had the 4 ski powderhound w/ locks and this is far superior and worth the price. Before that we had a Thule 6 ski holder. The main reason we upgraded is the 4 ski size Yakima realistically only fits 3 pairs of skis with how fat skis are these days. I usually bring more then 1 pair of skis when my wife and I go on skiing for a long weekend; 3 pairs of oversize skis BARELY fit on the 4 ski size.

-everything is included in the box, I was a little unclear if the "universal" mounts are included or just that the rack works great with the universal mounts, they are included as are the hex bolts, the L wrench to install, and 2 locks, also ready to install
-the rack has a lift kit built in, which basically means, if you want to put a snowboard or skis with tall bindings face down, you can raise the rack on your crossbars and fit skis up but also down. This help when you want to put snowboards back to back.
-low profile design. We have noticed the rack doesn't "whistle" on the top of our car as badley as the powderhound 4 when there are no skis in the rack. We haven't actually had skis in it this year so I can't comment on the noise with skis/boards yet.

-the universal mounts are nice in that they fit almost all car standard racks but they are a touch bulky for my liking. Not a deal breaker but I like racks that are nice and clean, with minimalistic extras.
-not the easiest to install, not difficult by any means, but do set aside 20 min or so to get the rack tight, the locks installed, and the spacing of your roof rails to adequatly have room for bindings. As in, don't plan on throwing the rack on morning of if you are anxious to hit the mountain on the first day of pow.
-doesn't truly fit 6 skis unless you are rocking some K2 4's that are 88 underfoot. Any skis purchashed post 2010 the rack will fit 5, but more realistically 4.

Overall: I think this is the best "6" ski size rack out there. At Amazon's price with mounts and locks included, and ready to rock right out of the box, this is the best deal out there.
on February 5, 2010
I bought this rack becuase I wanted to be able to fit EVERYTHING on my roof. 4 boards, skis, mountaineering ski's which and snowboards at the same time... and snowboards with big bindings that require a raised racked option so they fit. This rack does it all. Easy to use, pretty easy to install, and no major issues.

I have had minor issues with locking and unlocking when I load the rack full, one time the locks jammed for several minutes before a buddy and I were able to unjam the lock with a little extra elbow grease (this was because we clamped the rack down too tight I think). Great Rack overall!
on February 27, 2012
I just had this rack on a ski trip and it worked out great! It sits high enough that the bindings clear the roof of the car. The foam/rubber grips ensure that your equipment won't slide around, but they're soft enough that it won't damage or scuff anything up.

It's also quite easy to latch down. the latch catches at various depths (like a zip tie) so it works fine for single or back-to-back stacking. It seems to be very aerodynamic as well. The drive up was very windy, but there was no noise and I still got decent mileage.

I was able to carry two snowboards and two sets of skis without problem. I could have probably also stacked on another two snowboards if needed. I didn't end up using the lock, but that is a nice feature to have.

Installing this onto the car takes a little bit of work. It only took about 15-20 minutes, but it definitely isn't just a snap-n-go solution. The mounts did fit on the wide flat aero cross bars from a stock Subaru Forester without a problem. The included hardware is of a very good quality and everything held on tight.

Overall I'm very pleased with this. I think during the summer it would be good for holding fishing rods as well, so I hope to get plenty of use out of it.
on May 4, 2011
I have had a fatcat for 3 years and then recently there were some problems.

I had made contact with Yakima support and they solved my issues.
They stand by their products and will be sure that they fix any problems.

I like this design much better because it is more sleek and looks better on top of a car/suv.
Also it is fatter so it allows more surface area for grabbing boards.

Just their support alone is worth buying their products.
on January 8, 2011
I bought this for a trip my roommates and I take every winter. We come from Tennessee so having our gear on the roof made the 20 hour drive much more comfortable. The FatCat 6 did everything I wanted it to and was completely silent the entire trip. I am 100% satisfied with this rack and would recommend it to anyone.
on January 18, 2012
Excellent piece of equipment. Fits a variety of crossbars from other manufacturers as well. Aerodynamic shape reduces wind noise.

Best installed with a second person. I did it by myself but wished I would have asked a friend or neighbor to help me.
on October 26, 2012
I was lucky enough to have been sold (on the cheap) the Q Tower Yakima system (w/round bars) that the previous owner of my car had, but it came with no attachments because he ended up buying the new Wispbar Flush system (which he said were loud at highway speed on his new Q5) and would be using his current attachments on the new bars. I'm glad i went with the Fat Cat 6 over the Big Powderhound. It's super quiet even though they look like they sit high off the roof of my A4. I can imagine by looking at the powderhound that they are noisey and a lot less aerodynamic. The FatCats are super quality, easy to open and close, they stay open with a spring while loading your board, and snap shut super securely. The SKS locks work nice and fluid also. The FatCat6's came with 2 SKS locks installed. I made sure to take the cores out and slap some more waterproof grease on them so when the temps drop they will still operate... Someone else told me to keep a little can of lock de-icer in the car too, just in case...
on January 5, 2012
This is a great ski rack. It holds a families worth of fun , was easy to install, and is EASY to use. Also it is quiet on the highway.
on January 20, 2013
I was a little concerned upon reading some of the other posts complaining about opening and closing this rack. Just as an FYI since you won’t know this till you get this rack, it has a triple hinge on one side and the ratchet type lock on the other which allows for it to accommodate your thick skis or snowboard. You do not have to push it all the way down the ratchet for it to work and lock. Push it down till everything is snug enough and that is it, you are good to go. There is also an option to install this whole rack towards you on an angle for easier loading and unloading of equipment.
This rack is far better than the THULE counterpart, I know because my parents bought the THULE.
on April 22, 2013
Works as described, holds my 4 boards nice and snug.

-Holds 4 boards easlily
-Easy lock and release, comes with keys

-Initial install was difficult and frustrating
-Key doesn't slide in well in cold weather
-"Risers" only rise one side, giving it a slanted look. This means that one board will have great chance of rubbing on roof since it will be on the low side of the slant (assuming 4 boards)

Overall I've taken this thing on about 1000mi of road trip through storms and such and has done its job well.

See 1 answered question