Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on March 6, 2013
We have so many stuffed toys from Kyjen and love them all so we decided to purchase some of the puzzle toys. We selected the Paw Hide Treat Toy and Puzzle Kibble Drop hoping to give our dogs a new challenge. We opened the box of the Paw Hide, placed some treats in two of the compartments and put it on the ground. Shortly after, I noticed a bit of red on the yellow pieces. The small slits in the yellow pieces (at the bottom of the paw image) were so sharp that they cut my dog's tongue straight down the middle. Now he has a serpent's tongue for the rest of his life. Obviously this toy is meant for the dog to bite at; I didn't even think to check out the plastic and I really wish I had. It is as though a machine punched the plastic and then it was left as is. It isn't visibly sharp but once you run your finger over it you can't deny that it is dangerous. We've lost a bit of faith in Kyjen as a result of this product. On the plus side, Amazon was very good about refunding our purchase even though we couldn't return the toy because it had been used.

We also have the Puzzle Kibble Drop. It is great-- no sharp, dangerous plastic on it and it keeps the dogs occupied. They enjoy trying to open the doors to get to the treat.
88 comments|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2010
I bought this puzzle to help entertain my smart and curious and food driven dogs. My "boys" love it! We play it every single day. Often to work on obedience (sit, get it, down, get it!) and just for fun administration of treats and even dinner. My golden retriever loves it, but is a chewer, so he must be supervised with it. He pulled the cups out and thought that in itself was the reward... LOL but once I simply pointed to the treat hidden in the pawprint dish, he figured it out and was a happy camper. I also bought the spinner, which is actually my favorite of the two styles. I can get my golden's entire kibble allotment for one meal (we feed twice a day) inside it, so it slows down his feeding (so he doesn't gulp it down and get bloat). I know that my dogs love it by the perked ears and bouncing when they see me pick one of the toys up. They also sit and wait to be "released" to start their game. Great fun! The plastic is nice too since you can disinfect it easily or wash it in the sink without worrying about warping, splitting, or cracking wood like on the expensive models of similar toys. Plus, the price has been great and I found it at my local canine speciality store too!
22 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2011
My dog can get bored easily and when he's bored he's destructive and annoying. So I try to find anything I can to keep his mind busy and hopefully wear him out. He figured this toy out fast and gets his food in about 2 minutes, but he does really love it and he often settles down after playing with it. My other dog (the chi x you see in the picture) has absolutely no interest in working for his food. So I guess it's not for all dogs, but if your dog is busy, this is a good way to occupy him for awhile.
44 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2011
i have to admit - i was worried this was a big mistake when i first gave this toy to Bacon. he was confused. he first tried barking maniacally to get the treats to appear. he then tried digging into the carpet next to the toy. i wondered if i'd be able to send the toy back, as there was no way i would pull this toy out again if all it did is prove that my dog is not smart and barks too much. luckily, within 15 minutes, he successfully unearthed a treat. it's not an easy toy for him - but it's amazing to me that he has learned how to do it. he's learned a bit of patience and problem solving. two things i doubted he'd ever learn.

the yellow plastic parts - we've lost one. i'm really not sure what Bacon did with it. i just use that open cubby as the 'easy hole' for him to find a treat in. Bacon is a schnorkitzu (schnauzer yorkie shihtzu). i imagine larger dogs would chew the yellow parts up pretty quickly.

i'm looking forward to getting another puzzle toy in the future. i recommend this toy.
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2014
This toy started out really well- my puppy was very interested and found it challenging... for maybe five minutes. Then he found a way to tip the whole thing over, eat the food, and then proceed to chew up the little cups. Clearly not intended for a rowdy, frisky pup.
on October 13, 2014
Our puppies love this at feeding time. We don't use it every time, but we alternate it with other puzzle dishes. One puppy figured it out in seconds, but he still gets excited about moving the orange cups to uncover his food. Both puppies like it better than just eating from a plain dish.
on April 30, 2011
This toy is not that great for my pug. He loves finding stuff in the little cups, however the yellow covers are impossible for him to get off. His mouth won't fit around them so he can't pick them up with his teeth, when he uses his nose to try to get at them the cups just fall back into place and if he uses his paws (that's when he's really frustrated) he winds up just flipping the whole thing over. I have turned the cups upside down so that he can grab at the edges and that works for him. However, it's not really a puzzle because he even figured out that if the cup is sticking up, something is in there. I even have a hard time getting some of the cups out because of the way it is shaped. It's not a bad toy as a starter puzzle but if your dog has done puzzles before, this one won't keep him interested. And if you have a dog with no snout, it's not really worth it.
on December 30, 2010
Another great idea for a dog toy, but my medium-sized dog cracked the yellow covers in less than 5 min. The plastic shattered. She will never see those little yellow covers again. I might find a way to cover the food wells with something else, now that I'm stuck with this toy. My dog is not a chewer, and this toy did not stand up.
44 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2015
My beagle pup just turned 6 months, and besides having the ball for her to roll around and get treats out of, she didn't have much of anything to challenge her. After looking at some of the more expensive and more complicated puzzles, I made the decision to order this one because of the price and simplicity. After spending several minutes showing my puppy that the treat was under the cup, she was able to figure out how to get to the treats. After she was able to take one cup out, I upped it to three, and finally all 7. Once she got up to completing the entire puzzle, she was able to get all of her kibble in one minute and fifty-three seconds.

I just broke the puzzle out a second time almost a week later. I made it a bit more challenging by not holding the puzzle from sliding on the tile floor as much and by smearing a tiny bit of peanut butter inside each compartment and stuck half of a mini Milk Bone in it. This time, she took seven minutes and eighteen seconds to finish. I had to make she didn't chew the cups once she got them out and would continue the puzzle; encouragement and redirection are key! She loved it and was sad to see me putting it away after I washed it. I definitely plan on looking at other puzzles that are more challenging, but for her first puzzle, I think was the perfect choice, as it was easy enough to keep her interest and motivation.
review image
on February 28, 2011
Not a bad starter puzzle, especially for the price.

My Lab/Border Collie had it totally figured out within about 20 minutes, so it wasn't super challenging for her. She had more issues with the cups located in the "palm" section of the paw. It was hard for her to get her mouth on them, and almost impossible to "slide up."

The primary complaint I have with this toy are the yellow cups. They are flimsy and could be easily cracked into pieces with very minimal effort for a decent sized dog, or an aggressive chewer.

DEFINITELY do not leave your dog alone with the toy. (This should go without saying..but...)

Would I recommend the toy? Maybe. I think it would be ideal for medium sized dogs that aren't too smart for their own good. (If your dog can unscrew things, open doors, drawers, etc..then you may want to go for a more challenging toy. I wish I had of.)