Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on July 27, 2011
I purchased two of these Green 3TB drives for my NAS device, which is a 6-slot ReadyNAS Pro from Netgear. I removed two 1TB Seagate ES drives and just inserted these 3TB new drives. Automatically recognized and provisioned, everything was smooth. My volume was expanded and I didn't notice any problem. Drive temperature is lower than Seagate ES series by 5 to 7° average. Great drives, outstanding price point. I recommend!
on November 15, 2012
I have the same problem with Amazon. Probably it is not Amzon's fault. It looks like errors of WD hard drive labeling.

I bought this model:
2TB WD SATA II hard drive with 32MB Cash and 3 year warranty, Model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN.

Amazon sent me:
2TB WD SATA III hard drive with 64MB Cash and 2 year warranty, Model WD20EARX.

Although it looks better than my order, in reality the model WD20EARX has a very bad rate. For instance - look at newegg.com

BTW: UPS Code and S/N on the box label and on the hard drive are the same but model numbers are different and the label looks like a fake. I asked Amazon to replace HD but I am not sure if they have the model I bought.

Updated 11/28/2012:

As I wrote in my initial post, I asked Amazon to replace HD. A few days ago I received the same wrong model WD20EARX in the same right box WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN. I send all detailed info to Amazon and believe they will do something. Sorry, I don't have time to fight with Amazon and/or WD.

After some online investigation I found that WD canceled the model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN aka WD20EADS (2TB WD SATA II with 32MB Cash and 3 year warranty), probably because they payed a lot of warranty money by reason of: their drives rarely worked for 3 years.

A few people write that the model WD20EARX can be used instead of the model WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN, but it is not my case. SATA III WD20EARX model does not work with my SATA II controller. Any WD recommendations about speed decreasing and any jumper settings don't work too. I bough an eSATA enclosure which works with the model WD20EARX I received, and began to use HD with the enclosure. I hope it will work at least 2 years...
88 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2011
This was a "retail" packaged hard drive purchased for a new computer build. It was shipped in a timely fashion and arrived on regular UPS schedule. It has been a long time since I bought a "retail" hard drive and find it to be no different than an OEM, that is, no cables, no accessories, no utilities. The price was good so nothing lost, just surprised that "retail" apparently is no different than OEM, except possibly the wrapper. The drive itself is quiet and works. Can't ask for more. Ownership less than one month.
on January 5, 2013
The 3TB hard drive has proven to be very adequate as a back up drive but I initially almost sent it back because it showed only 746 GBytes capacity in a Windows 7 64 bit operating system. I called the manufacturer on 3 January 2013 to ask what was going on but Western Digital first told no-one else had reported such a problem and then, after persisting, that changing the format from MBR to GPT would fix it. But changing format made practically no difference by itself - it actually reduced the drive size by a couple hundred KB. So much for WD's help desk. But a quick internet search showed many instances of the same problem - some reported even on WD's own website. But WD's website never came out with a specific solution. As the computer (Dell E6510 Latitude notebook) had an Intel chipset, a quick visit to the Intel website and a quick scan of its diagnostic tool showed me a new driver available to accommodate hard drives over 2 TB. Installation of the new driver and then a reboot fixed the problem. Note that was the Intel web site, not the Dell web site.
on May 8, 2011
I got this and installed it into a 6 year old Dell 8400 running XP SP3. I already had the latest BIOS. This drive was recognized just fine by the BIOS and by XP. It has been running just fine as my primary; quiet and fast. I didn't read the label before putting it in, but can state that SiSoft Sandra, my benchmarking utility, reads it as a 7200 rpm drive with a 32 MB cache. Perhaps the previous reviewer received a mis-labeled drive. Excellent value for the money.
on September 10, 2011
We build computers from the components up, and have done this since the old 286 processor. There has never been a better time to buy computer parts. We have purchased and installed several of these 500 gb Western Digital Green hard drives. Retail at Best Buy we found them at $44.95, with the average price around $50. At that price, you can forget 250gb. If you go up to the terabyte hard drives you will find that they run slow, and often are loaded with long term life issues. The green Western Digital is quick, safe, stable. At under $50 we don't think you could do better. You can pay a little more and get a 750gb version. But for computer builds putting two green 500gb hard drives has an advantage of giving you a place to put your data on a D:\ drive while the operating system and windows files reside on the C:\ hard drive. If you ever have to rebuild, or reformat, your data will be safe on the second drive from the reformat, etc.
on January 6, 2013
I will not buy any other brand of hard drive. I have in excess of 20 hard drives that I have bought over the past 15 years. All of them are Western Digital. Even the 10.1gb drive that was my first, 15 years ago, is still working.

I have bought 4 of these "green" drives over the last two years and one of them is already dead. I didn't even use it regularly. It was just used for backup and to store files to be moved from one drive to another.

These 5400rpm drives are worse than going out and buying a black and white TV. And worse than that, my 12-15 year old 5200rpm drives still work, even after using them constantly to run my computer over the years. These green drives are slow to access and move data but are fast to go to "sleep", even in the middle of trying to defrag them. I had to leave an audio file playing over and over in a loop just to keep it from going to sleep in the middle of a defrag.

Sure they run cooler but at a very high price. Life expectancy is much more important than cool to me. I would much rather suck up a whole 5 watts of power and have my computer working properly than to be "green" and have worthless machine. The day I cannot afford to spend 20 cents a month to run a decent hard drive, I will throw my computer away. I don't live in 1999 anymore and I don't want a computer that functions like I do. If you do, this is the drive for you.

I will not buy anymore of these at any price. The 7200rpm drives are only a few dollars more than these anyway. No more data loss for me. I am sticking with the better drives from now on.

By the way I do have and highly recommend the My Book Studio II drives. They are also called green drives but they are 7200rpm. They work great and function exactly like any other 7200rpm Western Digital drive. None of the problems that I have had with these 5200rpm drives.
on December 9, 2011
These drives are excellent. For those having difficulty recognizing more than 2TB of the drive, you need to set the drive up with a GUID(GPT) partition instead of a MBR partition in system administrator. The rest is simple. Drive is fast, quiet and reliable. I have 6 of them. All are being run in Win 7 Ultimate without any issues!
on July 26, 2011
Required additional drive space and this fit the bill. Installed it to my PC, did a quick NTFS drive format and was up and running in no time flat.

Very quiet drive! Liked it so much I purchased another for use as an external drive. Both drives working flawless and no issues transferring massive amounts of data to both drives.

My data is currently utilizing over 50% of the drive space on both drives and have no issues to speak of.

One drive is housed in a Vantec NexStar external enclosure and works flawless on all my systems via USB. No data errors, speed issues or complaints at this time.

Highly recommended!
on April 19, 2013
Just the past month I had 3 WD hdd died on me, all while My computer was on. They just disappears, and when I restarts, my computer can't get past bios or can't start windows. Had to remove them. Recover as much data as I can, because all of them listed as invalided when I pop them in external drives. WD drives from 2006(500gb),2007(640gb) and now 2008(750gb). I loved WD drives, so I had only WD drives in my PC. Still have 2x 1TB WD drives in my pc a green and a black that I got within the last three years.

Got a 2TB Seagate 2 weeks ago because of the first two died wd drives, had to find storage to recover the files. Got this drive because it's the only one I can afford at the moment. Hope it will last me another few years, they just don't make things like they used to.

Other:
Funny thing is that I used to write to Seagate years ago about different serials on drive and on box. so it doesn't surprise me that WD plays the same game today. No point to get warranty for hdd, since all the data is gone, unless they give you free service for the data recovery; hdd gonna kept on dying, and nothing you can do about it.

I loved WD, because when all my Maxtor hdd crashed one by one last time, only the wd continued to work, I guess now it's WD's turn.