Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on December 10, 2010
I was really surprised to see "SLINGO", an old favorite of mine, suddenly available for my Kindle. Years ago I had a hand-held version, and to this day it had remained my favorite Slingo. The newer ones have gone off on too many tangents. I'm happy to report that this version of Slingo is almost the same as the original!

The board is the typical Slingo type, with five columns of five numbers.....just like a Bingo card. There are five reels at the bottom, one for each row, and when you spin them, numbers appear. If a number matches one on your Slingo card, you get to mark it off. The idea is, as in Bingo, to eliminate all numbers on your card.

You get a total of 20 spins to clear your card. As you clear one or more rows, columns or diagonals (called a "Slingo"), you are awarded points. If your removal of a single number creates more than one Slingo, you are awarded bonus points. Removing numbers on your card is easy done by using the 4-direction button on your Kindle.

Along the way, there are other items that may or may not show up on your reels. Jokers can be used to match and remove any number in a column. Devils will take 1/2 your score, unless a Cherub also appears to save you. The Cherub might on occasion also double your score! Coins sometimes appear to give you an extra 1,000 points each.

Spins 1-16 are free, but your last four spins will cost you from 500 to 2,000 points. You can win free spins when they appear on your reels during the game.

The stats page is very nicely done, and includes some interesting stats such as average score, average card-fill percentage, total Slingos, etc.

The only thing missing from this game is the sound. But I never did like listening to the Devil laughing whenever he took half my points, so I enjoy not having to hear him.

This Kindle version is a very good adaptation of a classic hand-held and PC game, and I think it is well worth the price. If Amazon keeps this up, I may have to unload a few books from my Kindle to make room for the games! (Not really, as each game seems to take up the same amount of memory as just one book.)
99 comments|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2011
You may notice that most of the reviews mention having played Slingo in other forms, so they were obviously written by fans of the game. Apparently the developers did a very good job of porting the game to Kindle, so if you like the game already, this is a good purchase.

But what about the game itself? I'd never played Slingo, so I went to the Slingo website to try it for myself in the "original" version. (The game started, from what I can tell, on AOL back when AOL content was separate from the rest of the internet.) It's--well--just what it says on the tin: a combination of slots and bingo. You spin a simulated slot machine for numbers, which you then use to fill out a bingo card. There are jokers and devils to liven things up slightly and provide you with a few choices, but it's still remarkably straightforward and . . . well, boring, at least to me.

I'm not one to criticize other people's passtimes. I'm nearly addicted to the Blackjack Kindle game, and it's just as mindless. But even in the world of mindless, no-skill gambling-style games, I can't imagine two more boring games than slot machines and bingo. (Well, maybe roulette.) Other people LOVE slots and bingo, as any trip to a casino or senior center will show. And not just for the flashing lights, casual companionship, and chance of winning a jackpot, apparently, since this game provides none of those.

So, know what you're getting before you buy this game. Go over to Slingo's website if you want to try playing it for free. If hearing the words "slots" and "bingo" together gets your heart pumping, this may be the best thing since sliced bread. If they make you yawn and shake your head like me, you probably want to skip this game.
22 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2010
This is another insidious attempt by the Kindle to eat-up our free time! And enjoying every minute of it!

Combine the thrill of playing a slot machine (minus the gambling aspect) with the pure luck of Bingo (solitaire) and throw in a dash of strategy (to garner more points and improve your "stats")....and you have Slingo. Don't let the somewhat silly name throw you....there's some great entertainment here for everyone!

This game plays great on the Kindle....looks great on the Kindle....and is, to be quite honest, addictive and a heck of a lot of fun. I just went through a few hours playing this game and found it to be almost mesmerizing.

At first, it seems rather simple....until you get half-way through your first game and begin to realize there's a strategy to be developed here. The impressive "stats" that the game keeps on your play only serves to make one try harder, play again....and again....and again. I highly recommend you read the brief 3-short-page "Help" section first. Three minutes of effort, and you'll get a whole lot more out of Slingo from the first play!

As I've said in other Kindle game reviews....if you love using your Kindle for entertainment, and need a break from reading, this is a great time-killer, relaxer, and challenger all in one!
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2010
I bought my Kindle to read books..that's it, just to read books. But I saw that Slingo was available for download and decided to give it a try. Now I wish I hadn't because it is so darn addictive! I can't stop playing it! The game is just like the online version. A bingo/slot hybrid. Its a quick game that keeps you occupied. If I have one complaint its that I wish it could have sound. Other than that, its a fun game and works well on my Kindle!
on July 27, 2011
Best money spent, I can take my kindle (Thank God!)to the hospital, & to skilled nursing where there was no wi-fi. Slingo's addicting, & I got the 1 for my husbands DS. He's had a brain tumor & can work it. Now, my kindle synced on my droid phone.
on December 16, 2010
I hadnt played this game in years and now it shows up on Kindle! I used to play on my PC for hours. Its like reuniting with a long lost friend! I wish I could play online against other users as I could on PC but its still a fantastic way to spend some downtime!
on July 31, 2013
Slingo is a game based on Bingo only more fun because there are jokers who give you additional points or devils who steal your points. You never know ahead of time when they will appear. I enjoyed playing this game and hated when the devils appeared and stole my points and made me lose a game. Even though I got frustrated, I still played another game!
on January 6, 2013
I think I had played this about a million times on my original Kindle - it is definitely addictive. It is a short game that requires some strategy and is fun to play. It was originally not available on the Paperwhite, and when it did become available it worked sporadically. However, they issued an update, and it is now just as good as the original. Response time drags by a second or two sometimes - otherwise perfect.
on March 11, 2012
I LOVE this game. I'm addicted to it! It's the only game I play anymore on my Kindle. I just wish that it came on the Kindle fire so that I didn't have to keep switching Kindles. LOL If you haven't tried Slingo I'm telling you it's super fun!!
on October 4, 2011
I played this online all the time years ago. I was happy to find this game again, it's very simple, and I was quickly able to start playing from what I remembered. It's an easy no-brainer to pass time. Simple fun.

See 1 answered question