Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon May 27, 2011
I rarely write movie reviews, so the fact that I am for this film already tells you something. I know the ratings for this have been all over the place, so I wanted to put in my two cents, which are that given what it was, I loved it!

Now none of you know me, so you dont realize how momentous that statement is, coming from me of all people. While yes, I am female, I hate - *utterly loathe* - American romantic comedies. I absolutely cannot stand them and the only 100% exceptions are Bringing Up Baby from 1938 and When Harry Met Sally ... from 1989. So yes, it's been awhile since I found one that broke the rule.

I wanted to see this movie, both because of the actors (love Goodwin and Krasinski) and because it's a story (we hope) where the shy, quiet girl gets the guy. However, I went prepared to dislike it for two reasons. First, I was *very* apprehensive about the premise involving possible cheating, since I have trouble even reading about it in books or watching films like Closer. Second, it's a romantic comedy! How could I possibly end up liking it?!

Turns out, I was dead wrong. SOMETHING BORROWED was hysterical - the writing was great and the delivery wonderful. The cast was also superb: John Krasinski, whom I adore in The Office, was hands-down unbelievably fantastic in his role; Ginnifer Goodwin, a lovely and talented actress, plays her part to perfection; and Colin Egglesfield, a quiet and subtle actor, makes for a great Dex. Darcy (Kate Hudson's character) is ridiculously over the top, but whatever - I was able to overlook it in the face of all that was right with this movie.

Also, this movie was able to do what those in this genre usually cannot do: it was able to be somewhat realistic, while still giving us a wonderful happy ending - no sappiness or corniness involved (two of my main objections to romance movies). The main characters trip up - repeatedly - and sometimes you want to slap some of them upside the head (... was that just me?), but it feels very authentic! And re: the love triangle, I think one of the things that made it feel all the more authentic was the very real dilemma that Rachel, Dex, and Darcy are faced with.

I loved this film, because for *once* a romantic comedy did for me what it always seems to do for others: it made me laugh out loud and it made me cheer for the two main characters and hope that they would end up together. I definitely, definitely recommend it.
1313 comments|194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2012
This film has such polarized reviews because it wasn't marketed properly, the marketing set up the expectation that it was a romantic comedy when it's not (that's the subplot), it's really a film about friendship - and - frenemies in particular. It took me a second viewing to really get the film, honestly, because part way in I realized it wasn't a rom-com after all and I had to look at it from the frenemies perspective (and from that perspective this film is really good & really entertaining). If you thought Darcy was likable and sympathetic, then you missed ALL the classic behaviors of a frenemy, but I've had several Darcys in my life (and even lost my Dex to one) so I could see it early on and I was firmly in Rachel's camp from beginning to end. You can moralize about cheating, yes, but I believe what Ethan says - if no one's married yet there's still time to change your mind. It was great to see a Rachel WIN finally! Other than the marketing I have one major complaint about this film - the deleted scenes need to be IN the movie and at the very least should have been incorporated into the DVD version, instead of being relegated to the deleted scenes section, watch them and the film makes far more sense (no more deleted scenes sections on DVD! Incorporate them!). Finally high praise for the music because this film has one of the greatest soundtracks ever assembled.

Go Rachel!
Go ALL the Rachels of the World!
Never take a back seat to a Darcy who'll steal & lie to make themselves feel more important (and do it at your expense!).
And Go Ethan!
(Loved Ethan)
on May 8, 2011
I loved the movie and saw it twice in the first weekend. Ginnfer and Colin did a great job. Colin reminds me of a young Tom Cruise but better. He seems soulful, manages to play the character with integrity and gives great glances! A must see.
22 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2011
At first, I didn't want to see this movie, the trailer was uninteresting and not very funny. Then finally I decided to go see it and not judge it, John Krasinski from the Office is in it. So, I got myself a cheap ticket and watched it in the theater. I actually laughed and thought it was pretty good, not the greatest movie ever but it's worth watching a few times. I think this is a good rental, it has a few good laughs.
on September 22, 2012
I have watched this movie many times and I love it! I have also read the reviews. At first, I compared the movie to the book. The book was absolutely great; the movie took some creative license. Even though some people were entranced with Darcy, I thought she was a little much. Ethan was great! Dexter and Rachel were just wonderful--their characters were just right in a mixed up relationship. The acting superb! I also thought Marcus was a hoot and loved him in the tv series, "Reba." A really decent movie with very little profanity. Finally!

Two books are sequels to this movie, and I hope to see them out in movie form. Great, Great, Great!!
on August 31, 2011
This was one of the worst rom coms I've ever seen. Kate Hudson's character was so one dimensional it made you wonder why they were best friends to be begin with. The whole concept of being in love with your best friend's fiancé and then having an affair with him doesn't seems at all romantic to me. The lead male's character was so weak. He really liked the female lead, but then dated the best friend for six years (or whatever the time frame was) huh? Who would want to be with someone like that? I wish she would have ended up with John K. from The Office. At least he had a personality. It was utterly ridiculous and totally not relatable to me, but from the other reviews several seemed to love it.
55 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2011
After reading the book and missing the movie in theaters and then seeing the movie receive bad reviews, I was a bit nervous. I liked the book fairly well although I found the way the ending handled Darcy's character to be cheap and unrealistic. It was the one thing that really disappointed me with the story.
I thought the actors did a great job and I laughed many times throughout. I actually found the portrayal of Rachel to be dead on with the book; her lack of assertion was more bearable in the movie than the book for me because it wasn't as long as reading her indecision and lack of confidence for many, many pages.
Overall I am pleased with the movie and am glad I bought it.
on August 31, 2011
This movie had potential to make a cute love story. However, instead of doing so, it took a very different approach. The worthwhile match was left to the wayside to make room for a relationship that has no conceivable way of surviving, since it is based on lies, adultery and disloyalty. The two main characters are selfish adultresses, yet the movie seems to find one more innocent than the other. It seems that the attempt is to cause the viewer to approve of the one because she is normally a "good person," but the outcome leaves the viewer in complete disgust of her selfishness and disloyalty to her childhood friend. In the end she is proud of her adultery and destruction of a life-long relationship, because she was able to get what she had wanted for so long. How can one's morals and sense of decency be so degraded that one can appreciate this character and her accomplishment?

There was one character in the movie who was incredibly likable, kind and a perfect match for the lead character. However, the development of his character is a complete waste, since he just gets his heart broken and is left by the wayside, so that the lead character may reek havoc on the other relationships in her life.

I watch pretty much every chick flick that comes out, and I have seen a number of cheesy and poorly developed ones, but this one simply disgusted me.
55 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2011
The movie is about two friends (or as most people have a friend that uses you) Darcy and Rachel. Rachel is the normal one and in law school she met and fell in love with Dex. Dex, who just happened to be rich and handsome, fell for her. But Rachel was too insecure and young to really get / deal with it. Colin Eggelefield sold me here. He plays it totally like he is in love with Rachel. Darcy comes in and takes Dex, kind of by force, and Rachel runs away feeling she was silly to think Dex wanted her. Of course, the reality is, he did. Dex feeling that Rachel didn't want him and vice versa... tolerates Darcy until years later and the verge of marriage. Look, if you don't know a couple like this in reality... you don't get out enough. I know several really good looking guys that are with women because they are *there*. Many great women just won't push like the Darcy's of the world.

On Rachel's 30th birthday Dex and Rachel end up alone with a few drinks to loosen them up and Rachel, confident that things are all over and Dex loves Darcy, just tells him what she felt. Well of course, now they both realize what has happened and Dex just goes for it. They embark on an affair. In the meantime he totally stays with Darcy and I know this is where a lot of people have problems with the move. But it is hard for any man to extricate himself from a situation like that. About to be married, family and friends excited for him and not sure what he is feeling... cold feet? He does make solid attempts to leave Darcy.

On the sidelines is Rachel's friend and confidant Ethan. He is rather the voice of the audience acting as someone helping Rachel go for what she wants and providing much of the comedy. As the movie goes on Rachel, Darcy, Dex, and Ethan and some supporting characters all rent a Hampton share and the affair spans the summer. Some of it is funny, some isn't.

The movie is sold as a Rom com but mostly is a drama with some comedic elements. Some aspects of the books were changed and shoe horned but the movie itself is enjoyable.
on October 9, 2011
Something borrowed was a terrific film, I put off watching it for weeks because it did not look promising but I was shockingly overjoyed, and most satisfied with the film. For some reason I could not stop laughing at John Krasinski. He should definitely win an award for best supporting actor. Everytime he got any on screen laughter would just bubble out from me not stop!.
Kate hudson as always is a rare gem like her mother Goldie Hawn. And kate is one of my favorite actresses. I could not get over how dazzling Ginnifer goodwin was. I feel that this was a break-out performance that could mold her already established movie career into super stardom! I never knew how beautifl and sparkling gorgeous that young lady is!
I saw a lot of bad reviews for this cinematic adventure but most of them may have forgot this was a romantic comedy and that;s exactly what it did; it was a story of a romance "briefly borrowing" a love relationship among best friends with a family pack-size helping of laughter and humor to go with it! I dont' buy any movies at all, but this one goes on the shelf!
Colin egglesfield played a good leading role as the somewhat shy sensible, smart, and practical one who does learn to follow the path to burning embers of heart-filled love on his own path to life. Steve howey is brilliant in the ghoulish funny guy he brings to life as Ginnifer goodwin put it "take something gross or perverse and make it charming."
I want to say I gave this movie 5 stars because the cast, crew and directors earned it, not because i was laughing the whole time, was not bored but instead interested in the storyline so much to be laughing one minute, and crying either tears of joy or emotions of despair the next. It also was not the fact that the 2 leading ladies are so fabulously brilliant , gorgeous, and at the top of their game as female actors but because the movie flows smoothly without any awkardness revealing a love tale of 2 fresh college students who find their way into each other's hearts by friendship and also real love but get sidetracked by others who don't wait for life to happen. It's a story that fate will again join soulmates that we all may have a happy ending! Thanks and Godbless