Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on January 10, 2011
I'm generally not a fan of the magazine format since I discovered the convenience of RSS feeds years ago, but 2600 is something that I still find I need and want. I've been reading 2600 for 16 years now and it's a magazine that gets better with each passing year. 2600 is full of information, not advertisements, and the articles are always entertaining and useful. Best of all, 2600 actually lowered the price of their Kindle subscriptions, compared to the price of their paper edition. Most other publishers think we should pay the same price even though they no longer have to pay for printing or delivery of the paper versions, so thanks for being honest, 2600, and not just pocketing the extra money for yourselves. 2600 will be the only magazine I'll ever subscribe to on my Kindle, which should tell you how awesome they are.
44 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2011
Everyone should be aware of the following line for the Kindle edition:

""The seven most recent issues delivered are saved on your Kindle. Older issues are automatically deleted for your convenience.""

Make sure you understand line 2, ""Older issues are automatically deleted for your convenience.""

NOT very convenient.
2323 comments|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2011
I've been a reader of 2600 and attendee to my local meeting for years. I assume most people coming to this page already know what 2600 is at its core, so I'll only briefly mention that.

2600 is The Hacker Quarterly, meaning four times a year you get a nice collection of brief articles covering a wide range of hacker related topics, from computer security to telephone systems and "hacking the human brain" to political freedom issues, and everything in between. It's primarily user written content, so while the editors keep the quality up, the topics change drastically from issue to issue. You may find one issue fantastic cover to cover, to only skim through a few articles in the next issue. That said, if you're into technology in general it's the best periodical out there.

Now, specifically to address the Kindle release, I'm very pleasantly surprised. The text transitions well as you may expect, as does the general layout, probably due to the physical size of the magazine being more inline with the Kindle's screen size than most magazines. 2600 also includes the entirety of each issue in the Kindle edition, rather than a subset of content as some other Kindle magazines do. They've also priced the Kindle subscription very reasonably, under half what you'll pay grabbing it from your local book store or even subscribing to the physical magazine.

The only sore point I can bring up is the graphics. This isn't a huge problem as 2600 has never been big in that area. You'll lose the color of the front cover, telephone shots, etc., and occasionally the random logo or diagram, while readable, will lose some fidelity. I haven't seen 2600 on the Kindle for PC/iPad etc. apps, so I can't comment on their quality there. Source core is faithfully reproduced though, which is a much larger part of 2600's appeal, at least to me.

In the end, 2600 has made a very smooth transition into the digital realm. The content is complete and formatted well, the pricing is very fair, and overall as much as I like the physical copy in my hand, going forward I'm going digital.
on January 15, 2011
So im at home in bed listening to "off the hook" and find out I can just download the new issue right to my phone this magazine is well worth the read, once you get the current issue go ahead and get the back issues you wont be disappointed
on January 14, 2011
This is great for the kindle! I mainly read the paper print, but sometimes that's too small, making the kindle a great way to read this. If only there were more stars to give it.
on February 19, 2011
I am so happy to have 2600 available for Kindle -- it actually makes using my Kindle worthwhile again! Awesome magazine, in an even more convenient format. Big thumbs up.
on January 22, 2014
Great magazine for anyone interested in telephony, security and information technology. The section with letters and responses to them are honestly the best part of the magazine - there is just something magically nostalgic about delayed reader interaction in this day and age of instant 130 character message exchanges. Unfortunately there are no images included in the Digital Edition when viewed on Kindle DX which, as you might imagine, detracts significantly from the reading experience. Took a star off for that.
on February 4, 2013
I didn't get much out of this for myself, and I won't subscribe. Of course, I'm not a hacker, and so it's a little too technical and dry for me (I'm more of a Popular Science guy, and I suppose I was expecting a little more of that style).

Nevertheless, it had great tech info for hackers, and would probably be riveting for someone with technical chops. That isn't me, but I can see the quality of the offering.
on December 7, 2011
In addition to erasing back issues on your device, as soon as the NEW issue comes out you will NOT have access to the issue that started your subscription. Ergo,

I have the Summer 2011 issue on my iPhone ONLY.

I have the newer Fall/Winter issue on BOTH devices.

But I cannot get the Summer issue. Ever again it would seem.

This defeats the whole subscription model, even the Esquire (etal) apps allow back issue access to when you STARTED your subscription.

Upshot?

Now I want to cancel this crappy sub model and go back to $3.95 quarterly consistency. Of course NOW the new ish is $5.95 if I do that.

You're making it VERY HARD TO SUPPORT YOU, 2600 folks..... 5 stars for the content, minus 3 for all this chicanery. My advice is to AVOID the 99 cent model until either Amazon or the 2600 guys get their act together.
on September 7, 2014
A good trade magazine for the IT security industry. Any security analyst worth their salt needs to be on the leading edge of what's going on in the nefarious corners of the internet as well as opening their eyes to blind spots they may have missed. We all have them, which is not bad, we're human after all. The bad thing is arrogantly assuming you don't. Be a true hacker, actively seek out your weaknesses, patch them, and thank those who helped you on your way.