Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on November 16, 2010
I'm 68 years old and the Boxcar Children books are the only books I remember reading as a child. I went to private school and our teachers who were Benedictine nuns, introduced us to these books in first grade as we were learning to read. Then later, after we'd learned to read we were allowed to check them out of the school library. I remember these books as being so exciting and adventurous. I'm going to buy a set for my grandchildren.
22 comments129 of 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2011
The kindle version of this box set was a great find. It is much cheaper than buying all the kindle books individually. If you're not sure your kids will like it, download the free sample. It is plenty long to get your kids hooked on the story. The publisher did a great job on the kindle formatting. The illustrations are crisp and clear and look great on the kindle screen. I've been reading a few chapters each night to my 4-year old before bed. He always wants me to keep reading. I love that there are 12 books to ensure this set will last for a couple months.
11 comment28 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2010
Our children love this set. It's clean and entertaining. Beats the tv and video games any day. These are timeless stories and they always give an explanation of the mystry causes; eliminating the concern of magic and unnatural factors. Suspenseful stories.
11 comment55 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2011
My almost 9 year old son surprised me tonight by saying that he likes the Boxcar Children better than the Magic Treehouse, which he has read the whole series and really enjoyed. I appreciate that the main characters are nice kids, they look out for their brothers and sisters, use their heads and have great values. The Kindle edition is great, good price, only wish they would have more sets for beyond book 12! Both of these series have helped my very active, sporty kid to love reading! These books have also worked well for kids who are studying English as a second language, not a lot of slang that they are easy to understand while still keeping their interest.
on December 27, 2010
Upon learning that our 10 year old granddaughter was enjoying reading the Boxcare Children books, I found this collection for her for a Christmas present. They were very well received and I believe they will add hours of enjoyment to her reading pleasure. Nicely boxed.
on August 29, 2011
I remember that I read these when I was a kid, so I downloaded these onto my Kindle my 7 year old daughter to read. Even though you'd think it's outdated, she still loves the stories. There are a few odd words, such as queer, that are no longer used in their previous context, but she hasn't asked for clarification and has an easy time reading them. I think this will get her through her entire 2nd grade school year for home reading.
on December 15, 2010
Purchased this for our 7 yr old son for Christmas so he hasn't seen it yet but we are very happy with it. Very cute and you get a lot of bang for your buck! Can't wait to start reading the books with our son!
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2011
So, I'm ordering books I can't be too surprised that books arrived at my door. The bookcase is cute but not the sturdiest in the world. It's just a box with a boxcar picture on it. The box is not in the shape of a boxcar. Just thought that may help.
11 comment51 of 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2012
These books are great begining chapter books. My grandson is 6, and in first grade and read these with no problems. and the price was excellent, as they are usually almost $5 each.
on January 12, 2011
I read these as a child and loved them.I bought them for my children to read when they were young and they loved them. Naturally, I bought a set (1-12) for my Grandson and he loves them! My daughter got the biggest kick out of the boxcar bookshelf being just the way she remembered it!! 3 generations of readers! that's a proven winner!