Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 13, 2012
I have been a PC instructor for 25 years, have bought zillions of keyboards, type 90 wpm, and work on the computer at least 60+ hours a week. I have also had carpal tunnel that whole time. Many of the other reviews simply mystified me - I don't think I've had any keyboard that has such a great touch, and I can type wickedly fast without the keyboard fighting me. I have had mine for nine months, and pound the heck out of it every single day. Batteries last forever, I never even turn it off. So the touchpad is kind of small, who cares? I most often use it in front of my laptop, which also enables better posture, and then I use a separate mouse. But it is the multi-link capability this board has that I have not seen in ANY other keyboard that really puts it in the stratosphere. No one seems to really get the implications of this. It will SIMULTANEOUSLY remain paired with SIX devices, an amazing feat. I am a bluetooth guru, currently own 6 sets of stereo bluetooth headphones, have high-powered BT transmitters on our two main TV's so family members can't drive me nuts with politics or sports, and NO other keyboard I could find in months of searching can do what this one can. Sitting in the living room running a PC through a flat screen TV - I can search for Netflix stuff with a full keyboard, search Pandora, surf the net on the big screen, write lengthy emails or documents - try to do that with some silly remote, or even a bluetooth mouse. Then I pick it up, go out on the front porch, with one Press of FN+2, I am connected to my Android smartphone, texting my brains out with friends at 90 wpm. Or, I am using this on my laptop, but get a text on my Android phone, and immediately switch to the phone to reply to a text; bam, I'm back on the laptop. With any other BT keyboard I know of on the planet, changing the pairing between different devices is a NIGHTMARE folks. Oh, I forgot, I also use it to type on my tablet - try typing 90 wpm on your silly iPad on-screen keyboards! And in a 5 minute period, I can seamlessly switch between 4 devices. It NEVER forgets the pairing, in NINE months of use, EVEN when I change the batteries - that truly amazed me! It has a built in wrist rest, especially nice when using it with TV's, but is very light and easy to grab and walk around with. There is no light - so get a very small portable battery operated light, I have some with clips and a gooseneck I can put almost anywhere, including hooked to the keyboard itself, or to one of those laptop desks if I am using on my lap.

Even if you never used it for anything but connecting to one device, I still think the touch, speed and durability rival any of my prior 25+ keyboards and countless laptop keyboards. But our devices are multiplying, and the notion of coming up with a fully usable keyboard solution for all of them is next to impossible without this multi-link capability. Even if money was no object, and you could buy 4 different BT keyboards, guess what? You are going to go crazy switching between them, keys will be located differently, etc. I have been a computer and gadget freak for many years, but I don't think I've been more excited about anything else I've ever gotten than this incredible keyboard. By the way, NONE of the lettering has remotely rubbed off in 9 months of using probably 8 hours a day, even using right after applying hand lotion, snacking, or having greasy fingers sometimes. But I've blown through two keyboards a year on each of my last 5 laptops - either the keys stopped working, from the massive abuse I inflict on them, or at the very least, after a year tops you can barely see any lettering left on the keys. Don't listen to the nitpickers - this is a ground-breaking device I spend most of my waking moments with, and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
66 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2011
The Good:
*Multi Device Support... Great if you swap between two computers, or a computer and your iPad. This is a key feature, and the reason I purchased this keyboard. It allows one keyboard to replace many.I wish all blue-tooth keyboards did this.
*Easy and quick switching between devices.
*Visually pleasing.
*Has built in track pad, essential when using the keyboard away from a desk (standing or sitting on the sofa). But it is a very basic one, see below...

The Bad:
*Missing separate PG UP, PG DN, Home, and End keys. You have to hit a function key to use them. I didn't realize how often I used PgUp/PgDn to read a document. It isn't as if there is no extra room for them keys, they could have been placed above the track-pad.
*Track-pad is very basic. It is small and not as responsive as high quality laptop track-pads. It is fine for the once in a while mouse use, and is far better than nothing, but for heavy use you will want a separate mouse.
*Pairing could be better. It still amazes me that this continues to be an issue. The pair button on the back of the keyboard is labeled "Reset" and doubles as a reset key if held down. There is one led light on the keyboard that doubles for pairing and low battery. It would have been so much better to have a separate button and light. (Or better a led digit that lets you know the "slot" you are using.) At a minimum re label the button on back. This is only an issue when you first pair the keyboard, or need to pair and have lost the instructions. I wrote "pair" on the back next to the button with a sharpie...

Overall:
A competent keyboard able to link to multiple devices. Could be the best out there if you need the multi-device support.
on September 14, 2011
I really wanted to like this keyboard. I develop software and use multiple systems all day long and want to be able to easily switch between them. The Bluetooth Multi-Link is a great feature. But why did they have to move the backslash key below the return key and make the return so big? I just want a standard 101-key layout in a keyboard with multi-link. I could live with the mushy feeling of the keys, but moving the backslash key was unacceptable and the arrow key layout with the page-up page-down keys wasn't so great either. I'm not surfing on a Playstation from my couch, so the touchpad made no difference to me.
on June 25, 2011
PROS
Looks slick, good build quality, good weight, keys are soft but still has a good tactile feel, can be paired with six devices, uses aa batteries, many of the multimedia functions work with popular HTPC software such as XBMC, Boxee, Media Player Home Cinema, etc and is for the most part easy to set up. A good keyboard for everyday computing or HTPC system.

CONS
The touch pad may be a little to small for some and with the default settings is slow and not so responsive. (I worked around this issue by increasing the pointer speed a bit which helped) I had a Logitech Dinovo Edge and the touch pad on it is 5 times better, but at the his price one can't complain much about it. The left and right click buttons have a cheap "clanky" tactile feel to them but that's a minor gripe. This item doesn't come with a dedicated Bluetooth dongle however being that it can pair with up to 6 devices bundling one may not have been necessary. I wish this keyboard had stand alone software to tweak the touch pad speed, dpi settings or to customize some of the other buttons.

CONCLUSION
For the price when compared to the Logitech this a pretty good buy. Bluetooth pairing setup may be a little problem for some but once its set you're good to go.
on December 8, 2012
The GKM611B has a wide range of reviews, but most of the 1 or 2 star reviews complain about using it to touch type. Since I never have ben able to learn to touch type, that is not a problem for me.
It paired easily with our MacPro and our PS3, and much to my surprise the touchpad has some multi-touch capability on the MacPro - Ctrl-2_fingers zooms the screen in & out. This is perfect for when we use the MacPro with our TV so we can zoom in to read small text.

I am finding 2 problems with it so far.

- The touchpad is tap-to-click. On every laptop I've used since that feature was first rolled out around 2001 I've immediately disabled this as I find it far more of a pain than a convenience. I have found no way so far to disable this and have contacted iogear's tech support about it.

- When controlling the PS3, I have not been able to figure out which key combos provide the functions of the O, X, triangle and square buttons. We're not heavy gamers so are not comfortable with using the PS3 controller to watch our BluRay discs or stream media through Amazon or Crunchyroll. Since iogear recommends it for use with Gaming Consoles, there must be some way to do so. I have contacted iogear's tech support about this too.

The keyboard itself has a solid feel and the keys have a nice feel even though some are oddly located and the Return key is HUGE.
I'll be curious to see how long the AA batteries hold up under our sporadic heavy use.

Incidentally - the MacPro has had an external Bluetooth antenna installed via an extension cable, since with the stock internal antenna even the Apple wireless keyboard loses contact when it's more than a few yards away.

EDIT -

I got a reply from IOGEAR's tech support:

> 1. There is no way to disable to the tap click on the touch pad of the GKM611b
> 2.. I am sorry but we do not have the PS3 key combinations that will work with this keyboard .
> This is an HID compliant keyboard that is not capable of the gaming functions on the PS3 game pad.

So, contrary to the description it is not actually suitable for use with a gaming console - at least not a PS3.
on September 21, 2012
I'm a software programmer and have many devices at my desk (many tablet PCs, a Mac mini, my laptop, etc.). I've been using an USB KVM switch in order to control all these devices with one mouse and keyboard, but attaching so many cables could be really messy. The GKM611B is maybe the most practical solution to my problem. I've easily configured it to work perfectly on Ubuntu, Mac OS X, Android, Windows 7 and specially Windows 8 (you'd rather prefer a touchpad than a traditional mouse with Windows 8, trust me). Switching between devices is really simple and fast. The only thing I regret is that the folks al IOGEAR could be more generous with the touchpad's size. There's a lot of space on the keyboard to put a bigger touchpad. The touchpad supports multi-touch gestures and the keyboard is well constructed and responsive. There are very few products that can compete with this keyboard. Most options are small and difficult to use specially when you are heavily coding. It could be better, but the product fits my needs.
on June 25, 2011
Product seems to be of good quality (I've only had it for a few days) and easy to pair with all my bluetooth enabled devices. It's really easy to switch between multiple devices and the various short-cut buttons is a great addition if you are using windows, but as expected most of them won't work with a Mac. My only complaint about this keyboard is that the touch-pad is way to small - 1.75 x 1.5in - which is smaller than the touch-pads you usually find in laptops . This could be annoying if you are trying to get from one end to the screen to the other, since you would have to do it with multiple swipes. Because of this it's also a bit difficult to make precision moves. Overall, this is a great product and I would recommend it to anyone looking to pair multiple devices with the same keyboard, as long they are OK with the small touch-pad.
on November 11, 2013
I bought this keyboard touchpad combo to replace an RF keyboard mouse comb that I've owned for 3 years. It wasn't that the RF keyboard mouse combo was bad, in fact the RF combo still works even after 3 years getting kicked around, jumped on, and thrown around by a toddler. However the RF set didn't work well with a computer hooked up to a TV setup, especially when the kids are old enough to get a hold of the mouse, hide it, or attempt to throw it in the trash, so I decided to buy this set.

Although there are many RF keyboard touchpad sets, I wanted a bluetooth set because of its connectivity to bluetooth devices such as tablets and devices without USB adaptability like iFruit devices. So after an extensive search I only found two full sized bluetooth keyboard touchpad combos on the internet, the rest were mini keyboard touchpad combos, which would be impracticable to me because my children would be able to easily make a mini set disappear.

The keyboard touchpad set arrived right on time in new, original packaging. It comes with clear, simple instructions, and batteries. There are no bluetooth dongles or stylus included. The touch pad does not need a stylus and the set does not need a bluetooth dongle to connect to a bluetooth device. However, if you have a computer without bluetooth connectivity, you can get generic bluetooth dongle for couple bucks.

The keyboard touchpad combo is only slightly larger then a full sized standard keyboard, mostly due to the touchpad, the comfortable hand palm rest, and the special function keys at the top. The keyboard is fairly light and feels solid, made up of hard glossy plastic that seems very sturdy. The batteries are non-rechargeable, AA batteries. They didn't last long either, likely because they were a cheap no-name brand. Since replacing the batteries that came with the keyboard, I've noticed the keyboard can last about 2 weeks on a pair of dollar store AA batteries and that with leaving the keyboard always on. It can be easily turned off by a switch on the back. The battery life is about half that of a good RF mouse and about one tenth that of a RF keyboard standalone. So I would recommend getting a pair of rechargeable AA batteries and a charger for this keyboard if you use it a lot and don't turn it off.

The keyboard connects as fast as an RF combo and is almost as responsive as one. It can connect up to 6 devices using special functions keys to easily switch devices instantly. I have my laptop, my tablet, my wife's laptop, her tablet all connected the keyboard. There hasn't been any need to reconnect the devices even after the batteries are changed out. Re-ordering, adding, and removing devices is simple too.
The keyboard is very responsive, although there is some apparent lag from time to time when using the touchpad, however I've been able to type 55 wpm on the keyboard without any apparent lag. Typing is comfortable even when sitting on the couch or lying on the floor and the keys are not that loud or hard to press. I wouldn't say that they are very quiet though, you can still hear key presses clearly.
The touchpad buttons are not nearly as noisy as some reviewers have stated, the buttons are not hard to press and are fairly large. The touchpad itself is very small, it's only 1.5 inches by 2 inches long, just big enough to get the mouse pointer on my computer too move about 3/4 the way across the screen. I had to adjust the mouse pointer speed settings on my computer to get better coverage with less swipes. In doing so, the lag of the touch pad becomes more apparent, nevertheless it is a minor issue unless you are constantly using the touch-pad for complicated tasks.

Some pros and cons

Pros:
Bluetooth means connectivity to a large range of devices.
Connects up to 6 devices
full sized keyboard
useful hot keys
comfortable hand rest
sturdy construction
decent battery life

Cons:
keys are not backlit
touchpad is small
touchpad can lag sometimes

Considering the fact that computers are becoming more portable and with far less USB ports, a bluetooth keyboard makes a lot of sense as an investment, especially if you plan to get a tablet or portable device since bluetooth is a universal standard connection. With the limited options of full sized bluetooth keyboard touchpad combos, I'd say that this one is one of the best options and I do not regret this purchase in any way.
on December 20, 2013
I had bought another BT keyboard (see my other reviews) which for many reasons sucked. This keyboard solved all of them. It's big enough, sensitive, wakes up quickly. The miniscule trackpad is fairly useless but I didn't need that anyway. If your looking for a keyboard that just works and isn't too expensive...here ya go.
on June 2, 2014
This is a great keyboard, you can set it up to Pair with 6 different devices making it easier and faster to connect to that Particular device the next time you use it with one of the memorized device. I've used it with 2 desktop PC's, 1 Mac, 2 Tablets and 1 Cell phone so far. The only thing I wish was different is the size, although it's about 3/5ths the size of a normal size keyboard it's still a little large for using it sitting at your coach using it with a tablet to control your Smart TV. It is pretty thin so it fits into a Backpack along with a Laptop easily, if your going to StarBucks to drink some Java and to some computer work. It's got a trackpad which is small, although it's big enough not to be a hindrance to use. Also the price point and the Brand Name keyboard are both features that makes me feeling good about buying this a keyboard.