Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

VINE VOICEon August 3, 2009
We started buying 100% meat diets on our vet's recommendation for getting our big fatty to lose weight on a "catkins" diet. Cats are obligate carnivores, so feeding them other foods that contain rice, or lots of vegetables, really isn't in line with how their bodies have evolved. The vet recommended Before Grain and Wysong, but my cats very clearly told me they like Before Grain much better. They lap it up, have become a healthier weight (the fat one lost, the small one gained), and have had no tummy problems ever since they switched off Friskies and onto this!

My understanding is that cats do need a few vitamins, since they do get some semi-digested vegetables from the guts of their prey. We mix in some Wysong "Call of the Wild" into the meat.

Turkey is their 2nd favorite fowl, more than chicken, but less than quail. My understanding is that cats naturally eat small fowl and rodents, so quail is actually the closest to what they actually eat in the wild. I have trouble imagining a kitty cat taking down a big ol' turkey, but you never know!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2011
I am trying to feed our two new (to us)kitties healthy cat foods and have tried a few varieties. The cats prefer Before Grain and Wellness. They wouldn't touch Spot's Stew. One cat prefers fishy foods and the other fowl. We have tried the turkey and Beef (I ordered Bison, but upon looking at the ingredients listed at [...] they listed only beef and my cans arrived labeled BEEF).
I think they liked the Beef a little better. I admit, it smells better than most cat foods. They prefer it at room temp.
The reason I listed the lack of fiber is that one of the cats has taken to ripping up the carpet with his teeth! I have read that it may be an indication that he needs more fiber. (The cats were declawed by their previous owners- not us.)
Both cats were a little over weight when we adopted them. One seems a bit slimmer now, the other, I'm not sure.
I do recommend the foods. Even with the seemingly high cost, this is MUCH cheaper per ounce than the Whiskaa pouches we used to buy for our late kitty and has no by-products.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2013
I was excited to let my cats try this high quality food, but unfortunately none of my three liked it. Still searching for a high quality food that they enjoy and will readily eat.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse