Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

on March 25, 2011
I was using SoundHound free on an Android 2.2 device before this was offered free. However, since Shazam Encore is free today, I have purchased and installed it and after using it for a little bit, I think I am going to stick with SoundHound.

There aren't major advantages to either app that warrants anyone to pass up on this free-for-today app but I would find it hardly worth the $5 price tag. I found that both SoundHound and Shazam performed similarly, finding and missing the same songs on my very mixed library. I even tried it on some live recordings and both programs were only decent when trying to find it.

I find that SoundHound returns results after a briefer listening time to the music than Shazam. After listening for only a couple of seconds, SoundHound has already finished listening while Shazam insists on listening to a set amount of time. Another initial quirk was that Shazam didn't seem to indicate the whether the phone was actually picking up any audio but I have realized that the meter actually indicates changes in the level of sound. Still, I think the audio level indicator for SoundHound is much clearer.

The information that is returned is also more accurate. Both apps do an admirable job at returning the song title and artist but Shazam has this peculiar quirk where it assigns the song to albums that I would not normally associate with the song. Examples include: Coldplay's "What If" which I expect the album "X&Y" but returns "What the World Needs Now"; Sufjan Steven's "Chicago" from "Illinois" but Shazam returns "Folk Routes". These are issues that I didn't have with SoundHound.

Overall, I would say that it is good to add this to your library (since it is free today, 3.25.2011) even if it isn't installed in case SoundHound drops in quality or Shazam increases. My recommendation, if you had to spend $5 on a music tagging app, would lean towards SoundHound if the free app is any indication of paid app.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2011
Why does this app need to know my location? Why does it load itself into the background even if I repeatedly kill the application with a force close?

Shazam is yet another example of a PAID application that feels they can freely violate my privacy. I'm sorry, but if I pay $5 for the PAID version of your application, I think that I'm entitled to being treated in a way where you aren't trying to make advertising dollars on me collecting my personal information and phone statistics.

My original review of this app was "Must have app" -- I have now removed this app from my phone because I can't get it to stop the privacy violations.

Don't waste your money on this company.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This app is amazing.

True Story: Last fall I was watching a football game on TV. As they went to commercial the stadium sound system started to play a song, I could hear it in the background as the TV announcers talked over it. I "knew" the song from my younger days, but couldn't recall the name or the group. I grabbed by Droid X, loaded the recorder app, rewound the DVR and recorded the song snippet to my phone. Next day I played this snippet for nearly 20 people, hoping that someone would recognize it. No one did.

I pretty much forgot about it.

Today, March 25, 2011, four and a half months later, I try Amazon's free offer of Shazam. After reading what the app is supposed to do, I recall this recording from Oct. 2010. I load Shazam, load the recording (both on the same phone), hit Play, quickly switch back to Shazam, hit Listen. Shazam listens, analyzes....and comes up with a match! I knew immediately that it had gotten it right, first try; Driver's Seat by Sniff n' the Tears, from 1978.

Keep in mind that this recording was only about 8 seconds long, from the stadium sound system, with people talking over it in the foreground, recorded from a TV, to a phone.

Shazam, I am impressed!
on September 10, 2015
Look, I love using Shazam to discover music, but for the past few days, I've been prompted to update it. I keep trying and trying and it will download, but won't install. It's really annoying to keep getting prompted to update when it won't even complete.
on February 13, 2015
This app outdated. If you look at the version available in Google Play, it's 5.2 but here we have 4.7

I contacted Shazam tech support about a month ago and they told me the same thing all the tech support for other outdated app have told me, that they having some troubles with Amazon App store and they're working to correct them.

that was a month ago and still nothing.

There are too many outdated paid apps on Amazon. They should do something about it.
on September 10, 2015
This update fails to download and install on my phone. It looks like it downloads and starts to install, but then it quickly displays a message that the download failed and the "Update" button is enabled again. Not having an issue with any other apps... It's limited to this.
on March 25, 2011
I listen to European dance music, and I find soundhound horrible at recognition of the music simply because it fails to recognise the songs at all. Shazam, is nearly a guarantee to find the songs.
on June 13, 2014
I have had shazam before and thought it was ok, but after finding Soundhound, I uninstalled shazam and started using soundhound exclusively. Soundhound allows you to sing or hum a song to locate the song, and also has LIVE Lyrics, which means that if you locate a song that allows live lyrics it will stream the lyrics in sync with the song that you are listening to. Sadly even after reinstalling Shazam, all I found that was enhanced in this version was the suggestions that they sent me in email, and on my phone.
on November 26, 2012
Shazam is now more likely to provide quick and accurate results than SoundHound. This wasn't always the case. I've had this app since it was available free in March 2011. Initially, I preferred SoundHound because the earlier versions of Shazam performed as inconsistently as SoundHound does now. With SoundHound recently, I've had far too many occasions where after several tries, the song was over... I've even compared the results of two identical Gingerbread devices with Shazam on one and SoundHound on the other. I was perplexed as to why SoundHound has gotten worse while Shazam has improved. The bottom line is, if you want to be sure that you'll be able to identify the song before it's over, use Shazam first. I've recommended Shazam to many others on the few occasions that it's marked down and I recommend it highly on the basis of improvement with age.
on January 2, 2015
In Google Play there is version 5.1 . Here is 4.5 . What i can do? To spend again 5 $ in Google Play? Your support here is out date. 1 * .