Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on March 20, 2012
Sandy Bridge is currently (3/2012) the best processor option on the market for all around use. They are just fast at everything, generate low heat and low power consumption. The i5-2310 is one of the cheapest Quad Core options. If you compare the different models, you will find that there is only about a 3.5% performance difference between them, or basically you won't really be able to tell unless you run benchmarks instead of actual programs.

Comparisons:
i5-2300 - 2.8Ghz -3.5% slower than 2310
i5-2320 - 3.0Ghz +3.4% faster than 2310
i5-2400 - 3.1Ghz +6.8% faster than 2310

So with them being that close, I'd say just buy what's on sale that week. They all have the same basic features and excellent performance. When I bought, it was the 2310 and I have not been disappointed in the slightest. It seems easily twice as fast at everything than my Core 2 Quad.
22 comments12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2013
Built a desktop for my church with this. Also for my wife it is working great fast and efficient. No issues no problems also loving the fact that there are no freezes and hangs on the system.
on September 21, 2012
Runs everything i throw at it at stock settings. Great quiet CPU. A little pricey but definitely worth it in the long run. Good Job intel.
on February 27, 2013
I know Intel CPU's are pricier but under the right circumstances they are unbelievable performers. I could not believe how far I pushed the envelope on this CPU and it never missed a beat. In a properly air-cooled case, it cruises all day at 3.5 GHz with temperatures below 50 degrees (44-47). I've never had an INTEL CPU fail on me in decades; and I've build more rigs than I can possibly remember.
on April 6, 2013
Fast, easy to install, works just as expected for a microprocessor. For the price it is well worth it. I installed it in my Linux server replacing a dual core version.
on November 3, 2012
Solid performance, no a glitch to be found so far. System is stable and easily handles several photographic and communication applications.
on August 17, 2012
One of my hobbies is to build all of our PCs. I have built about 10 in the last 5-6 years. I built one using the Intel Atom and another using an i3 CPU. The i5 is mush better and faster. The Atom (on a Zotac motherboard) did not have enough horsepower for BluRay videos and 5.1 audio for a home theatre PC. The i3 was better but for a little more money the i5 is a better deal. The fan supplied with the CPU was easy to install and is very quiet.
on August 23, 2013
I have yet to find a game that i cannot run with this CPU. Looking forward to upgrading to the i7 later this year! If you are looking for powerful CPU at a descent price, i would highly recommend grabbing this CPU as it can run any game if you have a good GPU.