Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on January 13, 2012
A cast of geniuses playing geniuses. Acting geniuses playing science geniuses. Brilliant, lovely actors all of them. The scenes in the "Bath Item Gift Hypothesis" when Penny gives Sheldon his "Saturnalia" (Christmas present) - his miracle gift - a signed napkin from Leonard Nimoy - is the BEST television I have EVER EVER SEEN!!! And I was RAISED on television. The laugh out loud factor keeps me happy ALL DAY... I can think of what I watched the night before and settle into a warm feeling that I will be seeing another episode later... And the DVD's ARE wonderful because there are no commercail interruptions...
Some of the same format as M*A*S*H*. And as brilliant writing ... doctors with a sidekick nurse - scientists with a sidekick waitress/actress. God, wouldn't I love to be in Penny's shoes...
Having grown up around scientists from MIT and CalTech, I can honestly say that Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady are insightful and gloriously honest!
I hope it just keeps going and going...
66 comments132 of 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
In the cult tradition of SPARTACUS, the halls of every science department now echoes: "I AM SHELDON"!

Currently into its fifth season, THE BIG BANG THEORY proved to be one of the most funny TV sitcoms ever aired. Even if the show seems to have slowed down form its initial explosive impetus, I had not laughed out loud this hard ever since the best days of FRASIER and SEINFELD - and BIG BANG is **consistently** brilliant!

Sheldon Cooper is unavoidably the king of the show - the massive black hole this Universe revolves around if you will. A child prodigy, now a 24 years old theoretical physicist PhD with absolutely no social skills or known sexual drive. Sheldon may be on the verge of unifying the fields but cannot drive a car to save his life or break a smile even remotely resembling that of a mere homo sapiens.
His equally super-intelligent (yet sexually confused girlfriend), Amy Farrah Fowler, (which Sheldon finally claimed) received a far more enlarged role this fifth season. However, she was not a very good addition and she unbalances the show. Her character only manages to blur the focus form Sheldon (there is only room for one idiosyncratic genius!), diffuse a number of comically charged situations and gum up the show's flow.

Leonard Hofstadter is Sheldon's roommate and primary ...keeper. An experimental physicist himself (who Sheldon tries to "help" by steering him towards a teaching career), he juggles Sheldon's idiosyncrasies with his personal neurosis - not to mention his crush on his neighbor Penny. Which crush, like lunar eclipses, follow a predicted yet unavoidable periodicity.
Leonard tried his hand in a long-distance relationship this season with his friend Raj's sister, Priya, but he seems to be gravitating back towards Penny once more.

Howard Wolowitz is the only one with no PhD (and Sheldon will never let him forget it). An engineer (whose crowning achievements were a mechanized arm that is used in the space shuttle and a liquid waste management solution), he also managed to wreck the Mars Rover in hopes of landing a girl (but he made sure no one can prove anything).
The fact that he is a short man with a severely outdated and misguided sense of fashion, still lives with his mother, insists on using a collection of pickup lines straight from men's magazines advice columns - and yet carries himself as God's gift to women is just hilarious.
Howard used to be the show-stealer. Whenever he entered the scene you just knew he would offer such an outrageous perceptive that would render you speechless. Now, if only Howard's character was allowed to continue in its stellar trajectory. He has been weighted down by his fiancée, Bernadette, who is very likeable, but also is cramping his style. Not to mention that she, slowly yet inescapably, is turning into his scary mother.

Rajesh Koothrappali is a particle astrophysicist with a fashion sense close to absolute zero and a severe case of shyness - to the point that he cannot speak in front of women unless inebriated. He keeps using the "poor Indian" defense although his father is a rich doctor who drives a Bentley. His character, even in the fifth season, remains underdeveloped.

Then there is Penny. She is the proverbial good girl next door who came to California with stardom aspirations but so far works as waitress and suffers a sequence of bad boyfriends (Sheldon has in fact calculated the exact number of them, extrapolated from a bell-curve that started at 14)- and, obviously, from her neighbors.
One of the best fifth season moments: slipping in the "Who is the greatest?" cheer between Sheldon's patented knock of repeated "Penny!".

The show unavoidably makes use of previous sitcom combinations (the odd couple, the unfulfilled love-interest mismatch) but even if one manages to discern them they are used in such a fresh manner that all that is left is great entertainment!

The way to truly enjoy this is to own it on DVD. The writing is so smart and the jokes fly so fast (many of them non-verbal) there is just no way to savor it during its weekly air time. Well, may be Sheldon could but then again, who can compare his intellect with his?

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
1212 comments228 of 284 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2012
I started watching in season three and have purchased all the DVD sets of this show and anticipate with excitement the DVD set for Season Five.

I think the show has changed and is progressing in a positive direction. The characters are growing and maturing and with the addition of Bernadette and Amy, brilliantly played by Melissa Rouch and Mayim Bialik respectively, there is added depth and increased laughter.

I think the show is still fresh and funny and as long as it remains that way this viewer will continue watching!
11 comment67 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2013
This series was hilariously funny at first, but as time has gone by it's turned away from the sci-fi humor and gotten more an more obsessed with the characters' love lives. I want more Schrodinger's Cat jokes; I don't care who they're sleeping with! I watched part of this season with my little brother, and it was so crude I found myself embarrassed to be showing it to him. Will not be watching any more of the series.
on May 15, 2012
...one of the best sitcoms ever created. Each episode is an event full of high-brow, intelligent humor the likes of which I can say I haven't seen in a very long time. This show is very deserving of all accolades it receives. I hope it stays on for years to come, as I think it's not only one of the best sitcoms, but some of the best TV entertainment ever created.
0Comment17 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2012
Our whole family loves this hilarious ensemble comedy show.

Sheldon is an eccentric physicist with Nobel Prize potential and limited social skills. His roommate, Leonard, is a run-of-the-mill genius by comparison; also brilliant, but self-aware enough to know there is more to life than physics research. Their social group is rounded out by Raj, another physicist who is to shy to talk when women are present (unless he has had a few drinks) and Howard, the mere engineer of the group. These four friends are fairly content to watch science fiction films, collect action figures, and chase girls unsuccessfully . . . until they meet the girl next door (literally), Penny, the aspiring actress and "dumb blonde" who can teach these four brilliant scientists a thing or two about enjoying life.

The characters are all likeable and relatable in their own ways and mostly nice to one another.

You might think these characters are over the top, but I have met enough geeks to know that people like this really do exist . . . and really are entertaining.

Fun for the whole family; we haven't yet seen an episode that didn't make us laugh out loud!
on November 5, 2011
Amy and Bernadette are great additions to the gang and it's great to see more of them, especially Amy with Sheldon. Greatly entertaining season, much like the other 4. Thank you, Bill Prady and the team of writers.
on February 25, 2013
I remember September 2007 being a great month for geek culture on TV. It saw the inception of shows such as "Chuck", "Reaper" (an ill fated show simply because the CW didn't know what to do with it), and a hillarious little sitcom about two insufferable nerds whose lives are upheaved when a simple, yet incredibly vivacious gal from the midwest moves across the hall. In subsequent seasons, they managed to keep the geek-centric formula firmly in place, yet allowing the characters to grow.

Fast forward to 2011/2012 which brought us a fifth season, and it barely resembles it's first four seasons. While there are a few classic moments here, it just isn't nearly what it once was. There are dozens of bawdy sitcoms riddling the airwaves these days. Most of which have no heart or inventive writing. It would seem to me that this show seems to be moving in that direction. Virtually gone are the inside physics jokes, nods to geek culture (comics, movies, video games) and in their place are the kind of plotlines and character development one would associate with shows like "Two And A Half Men". Characters like Amy (while amusing when initially introduced) have gone completely off the reservation into the realm of...well...creepy. What should have been a great recurring character has completely overstayed her welcome and has become the albatross to a show once sailing with agreeable wind and blue skies. Bernadette is yet another character that has overstayed her welcome. No matter how you sell it, I just can't buy Wolowitz's capacity to keep a girl like Bernadette and the longer he does...the less I buy it. Raj's quasi homosexual tendencies, while charming and inventive at first, have become old hat and are, well, rather dull. They really seem to have lost their grip on how to write Raj this season.

Leonard's prowess when it comes to the opposite sex has also taken a quantum leap into the realm of the absurd. Between Raj's incredibly gorgeous sister and his little run in with a very sexy comic book fan, I have to wonder how and when Leonard got all this "game"! The Penny attraction, I get. He's basically the sweet guy next door in a world of men that have treated her badly (as she's constantly attracted to the worst sort of men there are). Now we are expected to believe that, as of season five, his awkwardness has all but gone and he's able to attract such INCREDIBLY beautiful women that would be (in reality) WAY out of his league. He's not a bad looking guy...but come on!!

What used to be something I looked forward to every week has become that kind of show that is easily dismissable.

Such a shame, because this was once one of the most inventive and original shows on the airwaves.
11 comment7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon July 31, 2012
This is the best writing currently appearing on television. Nothing else comes close.

The wit, creativity, characters and the gorgeous character development is the finest TV entertainment available on the planet right now. Even the peripheral characters and guest stars are perfectly woven into the story.

As proof, I've never purchased TV entertainment for home viewing. Ever. Until the BBT. I recently purchased the DVDs for Seasons I-IV, and I'm buying V today. I could watch each episode a hundred times.

Its so funny, unpredictable, and well done that I get totally involved with each episode. Recently I've been watching the show while working out (still on season I). I forget I'm actually on the rower!

The writers deserve Emmy Awards for best writing in the history of television entertainment.
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2012
Despite many recommendations from my favorite clerks at my local book store, I had zero interest in this show. Despite the fact that Jim Parsons is from my very own town, Houston, I had zero interest in this show.
Despite seeing it every week while I was at the gym, I had ZERO interest in this show.
So, no, I wasn't really a fan.
Until one day in June of this year, when my 15 year old daughter was at home and got sucked into a black hole of a Big Bang Theory marathon. When I got home from work, she said, "Mom, you've GOT to see this show!" Since I couldn't find my own go-to, unwind after a long day show, Spongebob Squarepants, on at the time, I sat down and did.
It just so happened to be the Einstein Approximation, the episode where Sheldon gets lost in the ball pit and Leonard tries to catch him.
I was hooked from then on.
Seasons 1-4 were in our DVD cabinet within two weeks....and we are eagerly awaiting the release of Season 5.
It has led to new oft repeated responses echoing around our house...."Bazinga!" "That's my spot!" "Holy crap on a cracker!" (in addition to "No one steals Khaleesi's dragons!" but, that's another show...)