Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Format: DVD|Change

on September 8, 2011
Sure was a long wait (again!) but well worth it! The jet-fueled premier of the 4th run was incredibly satisfying in itself, and promises much more over the next several weeks -- like tying up at least some of the purposely left loose ends from the preceding seasons as well adding new twists.
Katey Sagal is as fierce & fabulous as ever; didn't think it was possible, but the ensemble cast seems even more relaxed & enmeshed than before, very believable that they have known each other for ages, thru all kinds of stormy weather. A consistent show strength has been to demonstrate the cohesiveness of the club while illustrating the concerns, doubts, resentments that flicker thru & between individual members or associates -- these actors all seem to have a gift for nuance, and the camera work complements it well.
My experience has been that at least 2 viewings are required to even begin to pick up all the glances and grimaces that further the story, not to mention verbal & visual allusions. For instance, I noticed that the Asst. U.S. Attorney has pictures of Otto & Juice under the heading "Plan B" on his office wall of shame (mug shots & photos of Samcro and everyone living or dead ever associated w/ the club). So the 2nd time I watched Juice more closely (and what I saw makes me kinda nervous...and very anxious for the next episode!)
on February 4, 2012
If you totally dig SOA then you are now prepared to read or watch Hamlet because you know the story. Young, reflective prince unsure of the foundations of his life's order. Gets a visit by his father's ghost, Hamlet Senior, who helpfully tells him he was murdered by his brother Claudius (probably). The Queen cares more for status and power than doing what's right, so she stands by her (current) man. She worries about her unhappy son: "It's like his father is speaking to him from beyond the grave." Then of course there's the title of the manuscript: "How SAMCRO Lost Its Way." Truly something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Agent Stahl, our duplicitous, spying Polonius of this tale, helpfully calls Jax and Gemma the "prince" and the "queen." She gets the Polonius treatment, too, meeting her demise at the end of season 3. And if Stumpy and Half Sack aren't Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, they're Falstaff.

Just in case you weren't clued in by the show's obvious references, Maureen Ashby helps us out from Ireland, by sending more of our ghost's writings so we can hear the voice of John Teller saying "Murder most foul..."

If the creators of SOA are to be true to the origins of their story, they will acknowledge its greatness by killing Jax Teller at the hands of someone, probably from SOA Belfast Charter or the IRA whose own father suffered years ago at the hands of John Teller, avenging his own father's death. We don't really have an Ophelia here though. Jax's old lady is a strong and intelligent woman who chooses to jump in to the mayhem rather than simply being swept along by it. She may be the one, at the end of the story, who acts as Horatio's voice, telling us the sadness of it, what can be learned from it and why we should care as she soldiers on without her best friend.

I sincerely hope we see a full dramatic end to the story, that the characters we love will die bloody or triumph and all will be tied up in a most Shakespearean way.

SOA is by far the best thing I've found in current television production. If you have missed it, get Amazon Prime or Netflix and stream the first three seasons. Do that and I'll bet you'll be back here to buy the fourth.

This is a series to own on Blu-Ray.
1515 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2011
With the way Season 3 ended I wasn't sure how much I was going to like Season 4. A lot of new Characters and major changes. But I love it, the writers and actors who bring the writing to life continue to have me salivating with anticipation for the next episode.

Excellent series, excellent season.
on September 8, 2011
SOA comes back with a vengance this season. One episode in and it's already full of everything I love about this show. I cannot wait to see the next episode and where this season takes the MC and its members.
on November 28, 2011
Sons of Anarchy has definitely gotten more and more addicting as the seasons go on. They're definitely getting better with each episode. I'm glad they got approved for another season. :)
on January 11, 2012

If the creators of SOA are to be true to the origins of their story, they will acknowledge its greatness by killing Jax Teller at the hands of someone, probably from SOA Belfast Charter or the IRA, avenging his own father's death at the hands of John Teller. We don't really have an Ophelia here though. Jax's old lady is a strong and intelligent woman who chooses to jump in to the mayhem rather than simply being swept along by it. She may be the one, at the end of the story, who acts as Horatio's voice, telling us the sadness of it, what can be learned from it and why we should care as she soldiers on without her best friend.

This is a series to own on Blu-Ray.
on January 30, 2012
I suspect that anyone contemplating the purchase of season 4 already knows plenty about the SOA series, so I will spare any descriptions or spoilers. Let me just say that season 4 doesn't disappoint. In fact, I think it is probably the best season yet and I am very happy with the progression of the story line. Can't wait for season five!
on October 9, 2011
Sons of Anarchy: Season Four has moved beyond the brooding bad boy biker philosipher theme. The series has resurrected a motorcycle club lifestyle that is, if not spot on with reality, closer to the outlaw perception non-riders assume exists.
on August 30, 2012
Motorcycle gangs. Shoot outs. Tough guys. Rock 'n roll. This is a MAN'S show, correct? No soapy stuff here. Not correct. This is through and through a SOAP OPERA, disguised with the leather jackets and tough guys. Don't get me wrong - this is an excellent show. It is definitely captivating, the acting is great, and it is NON-STOP drama and action. As far as one of the best shows EVER? I think some people are getting ahead of themselves.

The thing that really separates the epitome of excellent television (The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad) from very good television (Sons of Anarchy, for example), is the fact that in the first types of shows, people don't really change. This mimics real life, where people generally remain relatively the same over long periods of time once they reach a certain age. Of course people can do complete 180s in their lives and change, but at the core....people generally remain the same. EXCELLENT television is generally a little slow moving in character development, since in real life people don't change from day to day. These shows don't rely on cheap thrills and love triangles and constant jaw-dropping character changes and motives. They have to rely on...wait for this....great writing.

Enter Sons of Anarchy. It is one of the biggest rollercoaster emotional ride experience on television, with people and their motives CONSTANTLY changing and evolving from episode to episode. People get kidnapped, everyone is a liar and a backstabber, and one minute something is a crucial element to the plot, and the next it's dropped/forgiven/forgotten. The writers are masters at creating drama and non-stop action, but as far as realistic portrayals of human beings (something that the show is trying to achieve - make us empathize with these characters), this gets a 4/10. They are the show that relies on cheap thrills and twists to make a show. Does it make it bad? Not necessarily. Not every show is made to be in the ranks of shows like The Sopranos. Kurt Sutter has commented that all of the excess, ridiculous, over-the-top drama is purposeful and for good television. This is quite probable, but is it an excuse or the truth? With the way some of the characters act (Gemma in particular), I believe that the show is trying to make me feel like this show is more than just constant drama and twists, but something more deep and meaningful. And I'm not feeling it.

The acting is really great, there is no denying that. I'm still not convinced that I buy Ron Perlman (Clay) as tough biker, but I've come to deal with it. This is a very Clay-focused season. Katey Sagal as Gemma is wonderful as always, and is absolutely superb with the material she is given. My only problem with her character is that sometimes the writers push the "matriarch" card a little too hard. Ever see the end of Mystic River, where the wife gives Sean Penn that "king" speech? Every time Gemma talks it sort of reminds me of that, and it's a little annoying after 4 seasons. Also, Maggie Siff as Tara Knowles continues to bore the hell out of me, and it's been obvious since season 1 that they are setting her up to become the new "matriarch" of the club. Predictable/cliche, much?

I also still can't forgive the sudden drop of Wendy (Drea de Mateo) in season 2. In season 1 she is living with Jax and there is a major storyline between Gemma/Tara/Wendy, and in the next season Wendy completely dropped off the face of the earth along with the storyline, and then she returns this season.....? Disjointed storylines like this are never signs of excellent television. Her character was inconvenient for the growth of Tara/Jax, so they just dropped her. Lazy writing.

Charlie Hunnam is an amazing actor (can you believe he is a British stage actor?) and totally convincing for his role. Everyone else is very good - I love Kim Coates, Mark Boone Junior, Theo Rossi, Tommy Flanagan, and probably my favorite - Dayton Callie as Wayne Unser. He was terrific in Deadwood, and equally great in this show. The show still has a total obsession with using Deadwood characters - over 13 to date, but that's a great thing and they make a great addition to the show. This season we're joined by Ray McKinnon, another Deadwood actor (the Reverend!) as Assistant U.S. Attorney, Lincoln Potter, and as usual, this guy is just amazingly weird and a terrific addition to the cast.

SoA is not lacking in drama or great acting, but I think a more slow-paced show (somewhat like the first season) would do it justice and make it a little less silly and a little more gritty. I definitely recommend this show to anyone though that is interested in a high-action, intense, dramatic show with lots of twists, turns, extremely sappy moments and great acting performances. Even with the all of the criticism I gave it, it's still easily in the top 10 best dramas currently on television, hence the high rating. I'm definitely not going to stop watching.
on January 19, 2012
I am 70 now,been riding Lone Wolf for 52 years, this is one hell of a yarn and closer to the truth than most would imagine....Katey Segal is one hell of an underated actress so I commend her husband for writing this part for her,brings out her full potential, I'm a Scot and so I find it humorous you have a Limey playing a CA.Biker, but what the hell he doe's a damn fine job, their all good, I have ordered this from Amazon but haven't recieved it yet. People that I know that have looked at me as an abberation have come up and apologised. The greatness of Sutters writing is that he makes you both love and respect them as well as hate them and the truth is they simply measure humanity as a whole. I knew Ralph Barger lightly in the 60's always liked him, he was a great President of The Oakland Chapter H.A.'S a good man, was a shock to see him on the show, in my mind he's still that good looking young man of the 60's The Angels are poorer for him not representing them now.