Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Blu-rayChange

on October 12, 2011
So I am aware that posting reviews on these DC Warner Premiere titles is risky or precarious at best. The fans are quite knowledgeable and while some don't want a fluff review others are full of adoration for their favorite characters and want reviews that only say positive things. Having had the privelege to obtain and view the film a week before its planned release I am going to attempt to review the actual overall quality for those who are uncertain about making this purchase. While all opinions are obviously subjective I will try to state facts and point out any statements that are based more on my opinion to allow each individual to decide for themself.

Adaptation/Story: Overall this is an excellent adaptation, 10/10. The film follows the exact plot of the original Frank Miller graphic novel, and as has been stated in interviews with Bruce Timm and others, it doesn't leave any scenes out but some are added/very slightly rearranged. The added scenes, in my opinion, don't feel out of place. They are in tone with the original material and are also kept few and far between. Certain monologues/inner dialogues have been slightly changed or shortened but the essence of each is kept true to the source material.The story, needless to say, is fantastic and establishes Batman in a dark gritty world of realism, pure genius on the part of Frank Miller.

Note: Only a rewording of Bruce Wayne's opening monologue felt pointless to me, rather than saying he should've taken the train to be closer to the enemy he says from the plane he can't see the enemy. I feel his desire to be near the enemy was better felt with the original line. Sorry to nitpick.

Animation: Stunning 9/10. It is clean and crisp, which may seem contradictory to my next statement, they perfectly capture Mazzucchelli's gritty and realistic artwork and clearly let it drive the art direction of the film. It is well directed, with nearly every shot and design taken right from the graphic novel and having been brought to life, though Jim Gordon's jawline has been made slightly more defined. There is a wide array of fantastic color selection but still a muted tone that recalls the look of the graphic novel.

That said, my own personal preference for the fluid style of animation I was raised on (BTAS for example) leaves me feeling newer DC features often have a stiff/static feel to their animation no matter how beautiful it is, which is sometimes the case here. I've never been sure if this comes from intention in design, trying to emulate certain anime styles or if it has to do with budgetary constraints. In any case it isn't an issue for most and detracts little to nothing from the beauty and style of the animation. (For an example see the scene where Bruce Wayne kicks over the tree and how it falls over).

Voice Acting: Well done, 8/10 overall.

Eliza Dushku seemed an odd choice to me to play this version of Catwoman as she is caucasian and here Selina Kyle is African American (*several people have told me Selina isn't African American here, I seem to have made the same mistake I made with Luthor in Superman:TAS. I concede I was mistaken, nevertheless I still see her that way when I read the graphic novel or watch this, I always thought it added an interesting new dynamic). Dushku's voice work suits the character and brings real emotion, attitude and strength to Selina. She is able to flesh out the character surprisingly well given a short amount of screen time.

Bryan Cranston plays Jim Gordon. I am bias here as I am a huge fan of Cranston and his recent work on Breaking Bad, but I find him to portray Gordon as a relatable and likable man who is tough yet tired. Any occassional stiffness in his inner dialogues seems to be an intentional direction given by Andrea Romano and is faintly noticed at best.

Ben Mckenzie plays Bruce Wayne/Batman. I admit to being a fan of Mckenzie from my younger years watching The OC, but here I feel his voice seems out of place and somewhat forced, that's where voice acting loses points. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the film as a whole, and will likely grow on me over future viewings but his inner dialogues and monologues play very stale, especially the robotic opening dialogue, which had me concerned for the rest of the feature, but thankfully it levelled out as the film progressed and became more tolerable. The stiffness again seems to be partly an intentional choice but I feel a little more emotion could have been injected without risking oversentimentality.

Other voice actors do phenomenal work, Jeff Bennett and Grey Delisle are old pros while Katie Sackhoff and Jon Polito fit well into their characters. The only other misuse of voice besides Mckenzie, in my opinion, was Alex Rocco as Falcone/The Roman. I enjoy Rocco's voiceover on other series but he felt more like the voice of a thug than the boss of a high profile crime family.

Sound: 10/10. The score is used well and sparingly. This world is immersive and the sound effects are all realistic and chosen to enhance that immersive feeling. The final credits are amazing and really left me on a high, I hope all future titles incorporate panels from the source material into their closing credits, simply fantastic. The score over the final credits was also well done, a moody rock ballad, it felt like a Batman theme but was also reminiscent of the late 80's style, the era the story was first published and seems to be set in.

So overall I don't want to make this any longer than it has to be. It is a faithful adaptation, probably for my money the most faithfaul adaptation DC/Warner Premiere have done so far. I am bias as a huge Bat-fan but I place this and Batman: Under the Red Hood [Blu-ray] as the two best films so far, with Justice League: The New Frontier Special Edition [Blu-ray] coming in third. I would actually place this one above Red Hood only because I admire Frank Miller's story so much and find the world created to be so much more distinct and layered. With only 64 minutes of runtime this is a short film but an immersive one that merits repeat viewings, for me anyways.

I'll leave each reader up to their own decision based on this information but I say this is worth the money for fans of Batman or for fans of Frank Miller. Even better if you are a fan of both. I'm glad this time I wasn't disappointed. I also know that some question why so many of these releases have to feature Batman, why not some other DC heroes, but after seeing Year One pulled off this well I am personally hoping they attempt Batman: The Long Halloween in the near future.

Amazon's rating system is flawed, based on their five star system I love this film and give it 5 stars, if this was a rating out of 10 I would give an overall 9/10.

**For those, like myself, who once thought titles like The Long Halloween were an impossibility without butchering them for length there seems to be new hope. The upcoming adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns will be a two part production. If they do well we may yet see proper adaptations of Long Halloween and Dark Victory that are actually at the quality they deserve.
2121 comments116 of 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2011
Along with The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One has generally been considered one of the finest achievements in comic book writing of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Warner Brothers has produced an extremely faithful animated adaptation of the comic book. For those who enjoyed the comic book or who are interested in a sophisticated Batman story, Batman: Year One will definitely be worth watching.

As I've already said, this is a VERY faithful adaptation of the classic comic book story. It is different from other recent adaptations such as Marvel's Planet Hulk or even DC's Justice League: The New Frontier, which changed some aspects of the original storylines and added a lot of dialogue. In Batman: Year One much of the dialogue from the comic book was imported more or less wholesale into the animated film.

The story may come as a bit of a surprise to those who are not familiar with it. Many have said that it should really be called Commissioner Gordon: Year One because the story focuses so heavily on the commissioner and how he reacted to the sudden appearance of the Dark Knight. It is therefore quite different from the more Bruce Wayne centered perspective taken in the movies and elsewhere. The approach to Batman taken in this film is among the more realistic. He has a few gadgets but nothing like the high-tech stuff that he totes around in most recent comic books and films. He gets bruised in his battles with everyday hoodlums and can't take out twenty guys at once the way he can in other storylines. The Dark Knight also makes mistakes both in his judgments and his relationships. He doesn't seem to know everything and be able to track every situation as he does in many Justice League stories. It is in short a more human and less super heroic Batman than the one we see in other places.

I was impressed by how Warner Brothers managed to translate the gritty realism of the Batman: Year One comic book into the film. They didn't spare any of the sordid details of Gotham life. The prostitution, the violence, and the corruption of the police are all depicted in the film. This is very much as it should be. Gotham City just wouldn't be Gotham City without them.

The production values for this brief (slightly over an hour) film were also excellent. The animation is beautifully done and captures some of David Mazzuchelli's artistic style from the comic books. All of the voice actors (Ben McKenzie as Batman, Bryan Cranston as Commissioner Gordon and Eliza Dushku as Catwoman) turn in solid performances although I don't know if I like McKenzie as Batman quite as much as I like Kevin Conroy's rendition in the video game. Nevertheless, the animation and voice performances make this a pleasure to watch.

Why only four and a half stars? Sometimes faithful adaptations can be TOO faithful. The animated version of Batman: Year One falls into this trap. I loved the comic book version and enjoyed the film. But perhaps because I had read the comic book already, I found the animated film to be missing an element of surprise and suspense. The film adaptation of Watchmen (which I also generally enjoyed) had a similar problem in my view. Despite this criticism, if you liked the comic or just want to see a good Batman story I would recommend watching Batman: Year One.
0Comment38 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
Very close to the original comic! Frank Miller's work brought to life with great animation and voice acting, I'm watching a second time to compare with the book, and it is worth it!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 23, 2011
- Bruce Wayne, pre-Batman: "I'm not ready. I have the means... the skill... But something's missing. I have to wait."

In 1987 Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli launched the "Year One" craze with their BATMAN: YEAR ONE arc, a gripping look back at the earliest days of Gotham City's most driven and pointy-eared vigilante. For my money and most everyone else's, this arc is near as monumental as Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. It's certainly more noirish, more real, told on a more intimate stage. In the wake of BATMAN: YEAR ONE, DC soon churned out BATGIRL: YEAR ONE, JUSTICE LEAGUE: YEAR ONE, TEEN TITANS: YEAR ONE... You get the picture. Even Dynamite Entertainment's jumped on the bandwagon with its SHERLOCK HOLMES: YEAR ONE volume. Point being, BATMAN: YEAR ONE is so influential that it absolutely deserves an animated feature adaptation.

After living abroad for twelve years, 25-year-old Bruce Wayne, Gotham City's richest, most eligible bachelor, has come home to begin his crimefighting career and to kick off his perceived life of hedonism. No need to go into Bruce's childhood past. We know what happened and how it influenced the course of his life. But it's fascinating to eyeball Bruce Wayne as a rank amateur, still finding his legs, still bumbling about. His first sortie out in the crime-infested streets doesn't go well.

Except that I think of this arc as Jim Gordon: Year One even more so than Batman: Year One. It's a pure revelation meeting a young and badass Lieutenant Gordon, newly arrived to Gotham and living down a rep in Chicago as a badge what ratted out his fellow cops. He gazes around his new city and his bleak mood grows bleaker as he soaks in the city's widespread corruption. If ever a town needed cleaning up...

Adding to the misery is that Gotham's Finest are mostly dirty, and Gordon is advised by a crooked Lieutenant that cooperation amongst the boys in blue is key for survival (wink wink, nudge nudge). This advice falls on deaf ears. Jim Gordon is a righteous law enforcer. I don't know that he's a righteous husband to his pregnant wife. Not when his colleague is the attractive Detective Sarah Essen, diligently working on his cases, quiet temptation on long legs and voiced by Katee Sackhoff. What follows makes Jim Gordon a flesh and blood person, adds grays to his character.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is also about how our two main characters came to form an alliance, the cop and the vigilante, essentially two sides of the same coin. We note how their respective story arcs spiral into their inevitable meeting and their wary regard of each other and the origins of a relationship based on mutual dependency. The vigilante who is assured that there's at least one honest cop in GCPD; the cop who takes comfort in knowing that someone on the outside has got his back. And I'll leave it up to you whether Jim Gordon in the end has actually sussed out the Batman's true identity.

Crooked cops. Rampant racketeering. A soiled dove named Selina Kyle inspired by the Batman's costume and derring-do (and voiced by Eliza Dushku). An effective low keyed noirish tone. Told from the alternating perspectives of Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon. Both men get a chance to throw down. And while we're used to Batman's serving up all sorts of beatdowns, he's clearly not as polished, his moves and methods not yet perfected. It's unexpectedly thrilling to see Lt. Gordon claim vengeance on a crooked detective what had led an ambush on him. In a city of rampant lawlessness Gordon stands as an honorable but baaaaad mother. It's awesome watching him be this confident man of action, to see him dust off some martial arts moves. I love that while he doesn't talk smack, we're privy to what he's thinking. About to go toe to toe against a rival cop, he tosses him a bat and muses to himself: "It's been years since I had to take out a Green Beret. Even so, he deserves a handicap." Gordon proceeds to pwn the dirty cop.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE has a running time of 64 minutes which means that it's mostly lean, not much fat (you could argue that Selina Kyle's cameos are unnecessary, even if she was in Miller's source material). It's animated beautifully, but the only time I felt the artists were giving a nod to Mazzucchelli's style was when Wayne was in costume. Batman's visual design looks exactly how Mazzucchelli illustrated him. All in all, a laudable animated stab at one of the best Batman (and Jim Gordon) stories ever told.

The DC Showcase animated short (00:14:45 minutes running time) features Catwoman, again voiced by Eliza Dushku. It follows the pattern of previous DC Showcase shorts in that it is balls to the wall action, and the visuals are gorgeous and kinetic. But this isn't for the kids. There is implied nudity and, in pursuit of a pair of henchmen (they were shooting at a neighborhood cat), Catwoman ends up in a strip bar and takes a turn on the dance pole. Catwoman eventually comes face to face with the henchmen's boss, a vicious giant smuggler named Rough Cut. Theirs is a brutal rumble, with Catwoman receiving as good as she dishes out.

The DVD's other extras:

- JUSTICE LEAGUE: DOOM sneak peek (00:10:13 minutes long)
- ALL-STAR SUPERMAN sneak peek (00:10:45 minutes)
- GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD KNIGHTS sneak peek (00:11:36)
- trailer promoting the app for DC digital comics
44 comments4 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2011
I've watched several of the DC animated features, but there have been two to date that adapted stories that I held near and dear in my younger days. The first -- the Death and Return of Superman -- was a huge departure from the original story, and while I understood the logic behind those changes, I found that movie to be a huge disappointment.

This one, however, gets much more right than wrong. I've read the source material hundreds of times, so of course there are some minor scenes here and there that I wanted to see brought to life. I was also a bit disappointed with they way McKenzie plays Bruce/Batman -- he sounds too robotic, though I think that was done intentionally to try to portray the tortured individual from the book. Other choices that stuck out mainly did so because they didn't fit what I've always had in my head for a particular character. For example, I've always imagined that Commissioner Loeb was intended to basically be Gordon Jump from WKRP, and Alex Rocco as the Roman just sounds way off. But, these are all minor, and I think this is as good of an adaptation as was possible without making a 4+ hour affair that recreates the original comics scene for scene. I'd probably still enjoy that, though).

I would imagine that a adaptation of Dark Knight Returns is coming down the road, and I'm excited to see how they pull that one off, too. I also would love to see Year Two made, though I suppose Mask of the Phantasm was already a pretty good version of that one.
22 comments9 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 19, 2011
Have you ever called yourself a Batman Fan? If your main exposure to Batman has been through these movies, the Nolan films, and Batman the Animated Series, then it's time to behold Batman's secret origins. "Batman: Year One" is the genesis of all modern interpretations of the character.

"Batman: Year One" presents the first year of Batman's career through the eyes of Jim Gordon. Above everything, Year One is Jim Gordon's story as he comes to understand that he and Batman are partners in a war for Gotham. Being set so early in the Dark Knight's career, none of Batman's most famous adversaries appear, instead his most persistent enemy is the corruption in the city's police department.

The voice cast is perfect. Benjamin McKenzie is the best person they've gotten to voice Batman since Kevin Conroy. Eliza Dushku fits this interpretation of Catwoman, a bold thief that also doubles as a stripper or prostitute. But, Bryan Cranston carries the entire film, making Jim Gordon a believable human character. As usual, the animation for these DC movies is top notch. They really nailed the character models based on the original art by David Mazzuccheli. They stuck so close to the look and feel of the source material, that the film is very subdued in both plot and color wise.

If it has one weakness, "Batman: Year One" problem is that it was so great that it's been often imitated. Bruce Timm borrowed from Year One. Christopher Nolan borrowed from Year One. As far back as the Tim Burton Batman films, Burton borrowed from Year One. Batman is trapped in a building and has to fight the SWAT team, that also happens in Batman Begins. So, it's a real treat for fans of the original storyline to see it animated. But, to those that haven't read the comics, it's another good Batman story.

Extras on the Blu-ray:

DC Showcase: Catwoman - A much more action centered 15-minute adventure written by fan favorite writer Paul Dini.

Commentary with the production staff: Adrea Romano (Voice Director), Mike Carlin (DC Entertainment), Alan Burnett (Co-Producer), and Sam Liu (Co-Director).

Conversations with DC Comics: A group discussion with Denny O'Neil, Dan Didio, and Scott Snyder as they discuss their favorite moments of Batman Year One and how it has affected Batman as a whole.

Chapter One of Batman: Year One. A digital comic that basically served as a story board for the movie.

Heart of Vengeance: Returning Batman to His Roots. A 20 minute documentary about how Frank Miller reinvented the character with Batman Year One. As well as Denny O'Neil's role in the Batman mythos.

Two episodes from Batman the Animated Series: "Cat Walk" and "Cult of the Cat."

A "Sneak Peek" at "Justice League: Doom" It's great to see the cast from Justice League returning.

Then trailers for All-Star Superman, Green Lantern: Emeral Knights, and others pad out the disk.

"Batman: Year One" is a great Batman story. It's a bit more subdued for my own personal tastes, but it is an integral part of the Batman mythos that all fans of the character should watch at least once. I'm scoring it a bit low, 4 out of 5, despite the fact that it is a near perfect adaptation. Ideally, DC's best course of action would be to continue to build on Year One, by going to the next peace of the story, Batman: the Long Halloween.
on October 12, 2011

As I've already said, this is a VERY faithful adaptation of the classic comic book story. It is different form other recent adaptations such as Marvel's Planet Hulk or even DC's Justice League: The New Frontier, which changed some aspects of the original storylines and added a lot of dialogue. In Batman: Year One much of the dialogue from the comic book was imported more or less wholesale into the animated film.

Why only four and a half out of five stars? Sometimes faithful adaptations can be TOO faithful. The animated version of Batman: Year One sometimes falls into this trap. I loved the comic book version and enjoyed the film. But perhaps because I had read the comic book already, I found the animated film to be missing an element of surprise and suspense. The film adaptation of Watchmen (which I also generally enjoyed) had a similar problem in my view. Despite this criticism, if you liked the comic or just want to see a good Batman story I would recommend watching Batman: Year One.
VINE VOICEon June 30, 2012
James Gordon ( Voiced by Bryan Cranston) and his wife Barbara have just moved into Gotham City, his wife is pregnant as they are expecting his first son and he's now working for the Gotham police department. After a dozen years, Bruce Wayne (Voiced by Ben McKenzie) has returned to Gotham City for he was living somewhere else and still has painful memories of how his mother and father got shot by crooks as he becomes a masked caped crusader named Batman, Gordon also has problems of his own such as trying to find the mysterious masked avenger and what has become of the police force. Gordon becomes conflicted on knowing if Batman is friend or foe and trying to deal with the corrupted police force.

Very good adaptation of Frank Miller's groundbreaking 4-issue comic book turned graphic novel, Bruce Timm and company has done it again. I liked how the crew who are huge fans of the definitive Batman story besides Dark Knight Returns did a nice job of bringing Miller's story to animated life. Co-starring the voices of Alex Rocco and Elisha Duskhu as the voice of Catwoman/Selina Kyle The animation is very good here and i like how it kept true to Miller's dark and gritty story as some of the voice acting was good but the voice actor who played Batman/Bruce Wayne feels flat if you ask me and not as good as Kevin Conroy but i'm sure Peter Weller as Batman/Bruce Wayne for the upcoming Dark Knight Returns animated adaptation will improve.

This Blu-Ray offers flawless picture and sound quality with some nice extras like conversation with DC comics on the 2011 Batman creative team, chapter one of Batman Year One digital comic, audio commentary, featurette, Justice League Doom preview with previews to recent DC animated original movies and 2 Batman TAS episodes with an amusing short film based on Catwoman.
on October 25, 2011
This may in fact be a record on my review of the new DCAU film `Batman: Year One'.

There really isn't much to say about it, except for the fact that it does true Batman fans proud. This film is the comic come to life page for page, much like other films such as `Watchemen' & `300'. If you have read the graphic novel you will be impressed by pretty much everything. The colors, the dialogue and the feel of the film as a whole is the graphic novel. However, for first time DCAU film watchers, this may not be the right film to start with. Because there are many people out there that haven't picked up the comic book itself there is a lot of inner dialogue and a lot of cut scenes much like a comic book. It's got a great voice cast however, I wasn't too impressed with Ben Mackenzie as Batman, but Bryan Cranston as Jim Gordon was excellent. The film itself while like the comic is really short just over an hour, it doesn't have a solid ending. Most people may not appreciate that if they never read the book, but this story is only a small chapter in a much bigger story so pretty much it is what it is.

`Batman: Year One' is one of the greatest Batman Stories ever told and bringing another Frank Miller story to life especially when it pays true tribute to the comic is always admirable. Still, it may not be as enjoyable as some of the films DCAU already has, but it is a good addition to the collection.

FYI, don't forget to pick up the two disc edition if you are purchasing a DVD that way you get the extra features along with the new DC Showcase 'Catwoman'.
on November 25, 2011
I have to state the obvieous first, I am a hardcore Justice League fan, now that I have said that you will better understand my review.
This movie is so dark I love it, it is what Batman is all about, it truly represents the down and dirty, gritty, filth of a big city it is almost as if the writer of Year One spent a few months in the underbelly of a major U.S.city, they managed to capture the essence of places we dont want to be cought alone.

This movie has a great story and many moments that have that sweet "shock" value...you will find yourself staring at the screen with your mouth open thinking: NO WAY! This movie has a great start, middle and finish that will leave you satisfied and wanting more, good thing they added a Catwoman short that also has the shock value in it but not as much as Year One.

One thing I didnt like was the character of Selina Kyle was changed I will not get into details to avoid spoiling this movie for you.

I highly recommend this movie specially if you are a DC fan or even if you just like superhero cartoons.