Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$8.99

on August 16, 2010
I waited in anticipation to Joelle's follow up of "Last Minute Knitted Gifts' and was not disappointed. If I could rate this ten stars, I would do so. I have to wear a tracheostomy tube in my throat to breathe, and on page 99 there are patterns for the most beautiful (and soft) cowls one in my position ever hope for. Not only one, but three designs. How wonderful! As I slowly turned each page, what a "delight"...This book far exceeds it's name. Cannot wait to rush to LYS tomorrow and scoop up yarn for several projects I already have tagged as a "must have". I am so delighted with this book, if I could, I would give the author one of the biggest hugs she has ever received. This book has a wide range of projects surely to please any knitter. Whether you are a beginner or advanced knitter, this is the book for you. Thank You JH..Sandy
11 comment|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 19, 2010
I adored Joelle Hoverson's first book and had hoped she'd do another.... The first noticeable thing about the book is the photography - it's beautiful! Well worth the price of the book as a "coffee-table" knitting book. Props to Anna Williams.

She organized the chapters by the typical length of time it would take to complete a project: less than two hour gifts, 2-4 hours, 4-6 and onward. For gifts, this is perfect, nothing worse that thinking a a gift will take 2 hours only to find yourself on the clock for 4 hours and only half way through (sometimes project length is deceptive). Plus a chapter on simple, but clever gift wrapping ideas using yarn. And there are a few pages dedicated to specific stitches & finishing techniques- note there is not a "basics section"- you'll have to pick up knitting basics elsewhere.

Hoverson stretches the gammet of projects - baby & adult socks, cowls, sweaters, vests, accessories, wrist warmers, blanket, scarves... pretty much your basic fair. The book is steeped in classics - nothing I would call trendy. A few projects stand out as "knock your (knitted) socks off"-- pointy elf hat (from the cover), the knitted house, cowl and beret.

I will admit, these are my first impressions. I am simply noting the look of the book and the projects offered. The true test of a knitting book is the quality & detail of the patterns. I will soon update with impressions of working the patterns. Any way you look at it, this is a beautiful addition to your knitting library.
55 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2010
Really nicely written patterns, great pics, this lady really knows how to make knitting POP! Her colors just make us wanna knit!!
on January 2, 2011
Love this book! There are a number of projects that I plan to make from it, starting with the big lace scarf. Like LMKG, the patterns are divided into approximate amount of time they take to complete, which I find helpful. The projects are beautifully photographed, reflecting the clean, simple, and elegant style of Joelle Hoverson. It's the difference between hand made and "home made", if you know what I mean. As I also enjoy shopping for yarn from Purl Soho and following their blog, The Purl Bee, for crafting inspiration, I was sure this book would be a must have for my knitting library and it did not disappoint.
on November 16, 2010
I have Joelle Hoverson's other knitting book, "Last Minute Knitted Gifts", so when I learned she was publishing this new one, I knew it was just a matter of time before I got it. I love every single project in the book: they are elegant, stylish, quick gifts. In the couple of weeks since I received the book, I've already knitted the simple baby cardigan, and several of the coffee cozies. The recipients of these gifts loved them, and the patterns were simple, quick, and easy to follow.
on March 6, 2012
I just started knitting this past fall and had originally checked this book out at my local library. Beautiful pictures and layout! I was thrilled to add this book to my Kindle collection when it became available. As a beginning knitter, so far I've only completed the Family Ribbed Hat (just finished making my fourth one this week). Looking forward to trying out more patterns as my knitting skills grow.
VINE VOICEon February 2, 2012
I just bought a Kindle Fire and this is the first knitting ebook I've ever purchased. I have to say I love it. The photography is just beautiful on the Fire and it's so nice to read all about the patterns without holding a big book. To print out the patterns, all you have to do is open the book in Kindle for PC, copy and paste them into Word, print them out and you are ready to knit.

As for the patterns, they are just as nice as in the first Last Minute Knitted Gifts, which I use all the time. There are your typical small items such as hats, scarves and fingerless gloves. Then there are some more unusual patterns such as a knitted basket in 3 sizes. I've wanted a pattern for knitted baskets that are not felted for years and this is exactly what I've been looking for. Another pattern I've always wanted is knitted Christmas ball ornaments and this book includes one with two design variations. There is also a really pretty knitted bracelet, some double knit coasters, a sachet and a cozy for coffee cups. The more time consuming patterns include baby clothes and blankets, a nice zippered men's vest, a beautiful woman's cardigan and an easy pullover. Like the first book, the patterns are all categorized by the time it takes to make them.

Whether you buy this book in the Kindle edition or as an actual book, I'm sure you'll find it a very useful book to have in your knitting library.
on December 4, 2014
I am very disappointed with the instructions on several of the patterns in this book. They don't make any sense. I think they are either very badly written or there should be an errata posting for this book. There is one posted for LMKG in the SohoPurl web page. However there is none for this book which leaves me baffled. I was able to complete every project I picked out of LMKG but in this one 2 out of 4 projects have been complete failures. I had borrowed this book from the library and was going to purchase if it I find enough patterns in here that makes it worthwhile but this one won't be gracing my knitting library unless I get some help from the author. Wrote to her but no response.
on August 30, 2010
Lovely, simple, elegant knitted projects, beautifully photographed, succinct directions. What's not to like? I want to knit every other project in this book!
on November 20, 2015
The photos are beautiful, the explanations are well written. I've made the little sweater, and it was true to the pattern. She divides each project inot chapters based on how long they take to make, the timing was relatively true as well...