Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on April 2, 2008
After drooling over the beautiful pictures on the web, I couldn't wait to receive Larissa Brown's book in the mail. I enjoyed the historical commentary delineated in the essays--a delightful read that connected my current knitting obsession to many generations of past knitters. The pictures are gorgeous and the pattern directions seem easy to follow. I can't wait to start knitting them up! In addition, after reading the book cover to cover, I feel inspired to start producing my own design-twists on patterns. Thanks for a beautiful book, Larissa!
on May 3, 2009
This book offers some very different patterns & design ideas, which I find very refreshing. It offers guidance & information on what "knitalongs" are all about, there are suggestions about how to hold your own knitalongs, including family & friends. Gift giving & charity knitting. Another refreshing concept of this book, is that it takes recycling, refashioning & reknitting into consideration. It holds a great deal of information & is user-friendly. It's about bringing people together.
on February 23, 2009
This has become one of my favorite knitting books...and i own a few.The pinwheel shawl,the meathead hat,Sei shonogan pillow it is quite a diverse book which i love.There are many different types of patterns they dont all follow "one theme".I know the book discusses knitalongs and that is the theme of the book however the patterns are all so very different unlike some books where there just isn't enough variation between patterns to keep you wanting more.this book does that.My only concern with the book and it may be unfounded,i hope it is.Is that i cant find any errata on the publishers website or anywhere else.Now i knw that is a good thinig,but history has shown me that almost all knitting books have errors in them no matter how carefully they are edited (Sometimes the errors come from over zealous editing)If there are no errors then GREAT,I'll start knitting but i like to check the web b4 hand so i dont find out mid project that the pattern is wrong.So, if anyone knows please let me know.Other than that.This is a great book.Nicely written,intriguing patterns and packaged well.I wouldnt pass this one over.it deserves a spot in the serious knitters library.
on April 15, 2011
THis book is lovely and useful. It is a beautiful book with photos of individuals, groups knitting, and knitting projects. It is written in a friendly "sitting down and talking" way. The projects are useful. Some patterns are challenging while others are appropriate for beginning knitters. It provides a springboard for ideas of beginning a knitting group be it of two people or twenty. It reminds the readers that while knitting is a wonderful, meditative practice while done alone it can be fun and inspiriing when done in a group.
on June 10, 2008
Buy this book if you're a long-time knitter. Buy this book if you're a newbie knitter, or someone who thinks,"Hey, maybe I'm interested in this knitting thing." Buy this book if you *know* somebody who loves to knit.

You'll understand. What Larissa and Martin have done is created a book that is also a camera's viewfinder, in which you see other people, like yourself, all over the world, knitting, creating, becoming involved in the art, and involved in each other.

Every time I open it, I see something new and interesting, informative and life-affirming. Hey, the patterns and projects are GREAT, the writing is really, really excellent, and the photography is perfectly beautiful, but this book is special. Larissa and Martin hand-knit this book for you and me. For us. Get this book.
on June 11, 2014
Book was listed as used in good condition. It was a library book. This book was in such sad shape when I received it. Binding was ripped , inside the book was dirty. Very disappointed. I don't even like handling this book with out some gloves on. I will copy the patterns I like and throw this book away. I have used this seller before, without a problem. Not sure what happened this time, but this book should never have been listed as good condition.
on March 31, 2014
This book is truly lovely. Knitalong celebrates the joy of knitting together and sharing one's love for the craft. As a knitter, I am always so pleased to find out when others knit. It's like a not-so-secret society. Although the act of knitting is singular, it lends itself to building a community. It's why thousands of people have come together and joined online communities, such as Ravelry. And it is this sense of community that Larissa Brown focuses on in her book Knitalong.

Knitalong is a collection of stories, pictures, resources, and even patterns. It explains how to find knitting groups both in the flesh and on-line. I found Larissa Brown's stories engaging, interesting, and inspiring. I especially liked the chapter on historical knitalongs. Knitting together is such a beautiful concept and this book inspired me to start a knitting group at my workplace.
on June 8, 2014
Lovely, inspiring book about knitalongs - groups of people all knitting the same pattern at the same time or just knitting together. The book discusses the history of knitalongs, wartime knitting, and internet based knitalongs and has several knitting patterns. There is knitting for others, for charity, for art, in cafes knitting blogs, as a part of challenges and more. I enjoyed the book, but to me, the patterns seemed rather difficult. I am trying the sock pattern and will see how I do with it. I received this book free to review from Netgalley.
on March 19, 2014
From beginning knitting classes to "yarn-bombing" events, knitting has gone public again after a brief hiatus. This book explores the different ways knitters get together, formally and informally, physically and virtually. Learn about internet KALs, gift swaps, knitting in prisons or cafes, and much more. There is even advice on creating your own knitalong.
This is a lovely book about the social aspects of knitting. It has chapters on how knitting is good for spending time with others, its usefulness as a tool for remembrance, as a great way to spark creativity, a way to develop and expand your own personal growth, and the blessingway blanket story.

The book also has several lovely patterns to knit. including a baby blanket, a hat and mitten set with a 'buggy' theme, a felted bird's nest, a traveling scarf, and several others.

It lists websites to connect with other knitters and offers advice for knitalongs. Overall, I found this book informative and inspiring.