Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

VINE VOICEon September 22, 2012
I've been working with Avery labels as an admin assistant for over 20 years. Most of the time the templates and products are very reliable. While these printable tags are a good idea on paper, they just don't work well with the printer. They're not for inkjets and laser printers aren't fond of the card stock. If you have to put the labels through a printer twice, they will begin perforating on you and that's just a big old mess. Honestly, it was easier for me to use the template, print them out on my own card stock and then cut them out with scissors. More time consuming, but the result was better.
Size: Pack of 96Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was very excited to find this product because I was already creating my own tags for baked good and care package items by finding free templates online and printing them to heavy paper and card stock. I loved the sound of this product because I knew that I could punch the labels out rather than having to cut the painstakingly with a scissors.

I liked that right out of the box they had a substantial feel to them (like a standard weight card stock). The strings themselves are pretty standard with little flare, but lock making them perfect for price tags. However, because they are not attached, you can also swap them out for colored ribbon, yarn, or string, which I've been doing. I would give 5 stars for the product itself. Though I do somewhat wish it had a glossy finish to it, though I have no idea whether that would make it smudge when printed on.

What is dragging this review down to 3 stars is the experience of actually creating the tags. Avery does provide ample templates online, including some with graphics already included. However, all the templates are in Microsoft Word, which I don't find to be very user friendly for this type of thing. When you are just making standard address labels it is perfectly sufficient, but when you're making branded products like a tag it's not very easy to drag and drop graphics and do different treatments. In addition, some of the files, when opened on my computer were all messed up - text and images were hanging off the label and all over the place. Basically, you have to expect to spend sometime creating these if you want them to look professional and a beginning understanding of Microsoft word is needed.

Edited to add: I finally found the online interface thanks to some helpful commenters. I found it MUCH more user friendly than the word downloads, but I was pretty disapointed with the templates available. Everything seemed a bit outdated and clipart friendly which seemed like a shame to me since I have found great free printables elsewhere on the net (they just don't work with this template). I expected a bit more since these are billed as products for small business owners.

I think they'd be much better off if they created their own software program or had an online interface for customizing labels, rather than trying to use a program that really wasn't meant for involved design. At the very least, it would be nice if they offered files that could be opened in a program like Photoshop.I also think some of the graphics and styles available don't look as polished as what you can already find at craft stores or patterns available on blogs and sites like Martha Stewart.

Overall, I think this product is a great idea, I think it is just a shame that the interface to create the labels isn't more user friendly. I'm hoping that as I spend more time playing around with these I will get better at it, but for now, it seems like there is a bit of a learning curve to create something that realizes my vision.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
I used the avery software to create these labels. That part was easy enough. However, no matter what I tried these labels did not line up. I tried all the trouble shooting steps and they did not work. This has been an issue with avery products for years. I will not be using them again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 27, 2013
We use these tags for seasonal products and they work extremely well.

- They are a nice size (not huge like shipping tags)
- The tags are made from a sturdy paper (but not quite as sturdy as card stock)
- They take color printing very, very well
- The snap-lock strings securely fasten the tags to the items
- The Avery template is actually pretty simple to use (initially it takes a tiny bit of patience but once you start, you're on your way!)

I would have given it 5-stars instead of 4-stars if it was just a little easier to remove the tags from the sheets after they were printed. Kind of a pain in the neck - but it's a minor quibble.

Overall, these are well worth it - easy to use and they really look good.
on December 31, 2013
I love the print to the edge feature on these. They looked great when finished and very professional. It was hard using the Avery template in Word, it just took a little longer to adjust. I didn't use the ties it came with because I thought they looked cheap, so I tied them with ribbon instead and it looked great.
VINE VOICEon February 21, 2012
Size: Pack of 96Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used and reviewed a lot of Avery products over the years, and I have to say, the Avery Printable Tags are not one of my favorite product additions. I especially do not like the weight of the paper. It is a bit flimsy and very bland--just flat white thin card stock. Unless you are adding a lot of colorful graphics, there is no pop to the tag. I am also not a fan of the strings that come with the tags. While it is a nice touch to add them to the package, I would never use them. If you are going to go to the trouble of making homemade tags, I would certainly hope you would use something a little nicer to attach the tag to the package. The locking mechanism is made of cheap looking plastic and the strings look like a very finely woven rope. And also of note, you do not get a clean edge when you separate the product at the perforation. You have tiny paper fibers that surround the edges so you do not get a crisp look. Formatting is also an issue. It is important to note that I use a MAC, and there are MAC issues when trying to format tags like this. While I understand you can go to the Avery website and download templates, it adds to the already time consuming process of designing the tag, and there is a learning curve to the Avery software templates. If you are in a hurry, this would not be a project I recommend starting.

On the plus side, Avery is still committed to the Box Tops for Education program and has a coupon on the package. And the packaging is recyclable so you are not putting more waste into a landfill. It also offer a toll free number to call if you run in to a problem and gives you a website option to help design your tags. But those positives do not make this one of the quality products I have come to depend on from Avery, and I will not be buying this product again.
VINE VOICEon March 7, 2012
Size: Pack of 96Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like these tags, but there are a few issues that keep me from giving the tags a really high review.

1. Perforations. Similar to the "print your own business cards" product from Avery, when you separate these tags at the perforations, you get a fuzzy edge. They don't look like the standard die-cut tags that you get on their own. However, those tags are not If you want a clean edge, you're going to have to slice off the edges of the tags with sharp scissors. Boo.

2. Hangers. I didn't like them or use them. However, using colorful floss or twine is easy. No problem.

3. Templates. Here is what I think is the weakest link. First, the templates only assume that you'll print on one side. So, if you want color on both, you have to decide what should/will be on the back. I had some issues regarding the printer and the tags lining properly, but the colors tend to "bleed" off the tag edge to ensure that you get color right to the edge. It would be nice if you could use the Avery Wizard software to create these, especially if you're creating a page of the same tags. Making sure everything is the same from tag to tag when you create your own custom tags is a bit challenging.

Overall, it's a decent product with a a few issues. It's not an expensive product and it's a good alternative to having tags printed (expensively) at a printer. The ability to customize from batch to batch , tag to tag is also nice. I can see using these for parties, Xmas presents, merchandising, and even crafts/scrapbooking.
VINE VOICEon June 22, 2012
Size: Pack of 96Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As always, Avery delivers with a solid product for a reasonbale price - you can use a template online with Avery to create your labels, and these printable tags with strings can be printed on front AND back! I used these to create little promo tags for some sample promo items, and there is lots of great space on the label: I put a coupon code on the back, and info on the front - I printed in color with an inkjet (Epson), and I ran into zero issues...super easy to use, templates online from Avery are great...if you need some tags for items in a store, wedding favors, or the like, these Avery Printable Tags are great ~ would recommend!
on January 18, 2012
Size: Pack of 96Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These tags look better in the photos than they actually are. The cardstock is not as heavyweight as I'd expected it to be. The tags themselves look rather bland - a hint of gloss might have improved their appearance. The microperforations around the edges are also very visible - the photos on the packaging are misleading and have the perforations removed. Overall, the tags look cheap. I initially thought that I could use them to tag homebaked goods that I sell, but I feel that they cheapen the marketability of my products.
on February 20, 2014
These completely fall apart in an inkjet printer, because by the time you run them through twice to print on the front and back, they're falling apart and creating paper jams. They also didn't always want to print out straight and the designs would shift on the page. I also HATE the Avery Design and Print online site. I will never buy these again unless I have no other options.