Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First of all, this is a GAMING mouse. If you are using it for something other than gaming, then it isn't optimized for you. For example, there is no side scrolling and the mouse is corded. Corded is a good thing for games, because there is lower latency, no need to change batteries (having to change a battery in the middle of a game could be absolutely disastrous!) and you don't have to worry about interference if you are at a LAN party. If you are working in the office or surfing the net, cordless is nice because you get the obvious benefits of being tether-free and the disadvantages are insignificant--you don't care about 100ms latency and if you have to change the batteries at some point, the spread sheet will be perfectly happy to wait for you while you do so.

So, having said that, let's look at this as a gaming mouse. There are the normal left and right buttons and a clickable scroll wheel (as previously noted--no side scroll if your game would benefit from that). There are also two buttons by your thumb whether you use the mouse left- or right-handed... which means there are also 2 buttons by your ring finger... which I've got to tell you... I can not find a comfortable way to use those buttons. I see they are going for ambidextrous, and that's cool, but for all intents and purposes, those 2 buttons are going to be pretty unused. Finally, there is another button just below (closer to your palm) the scroll wheel.

After you go online and download the SteelSeries Engine (the product does NOT come with a CD), you can assign actions to each button--these can be either recorded Macros, or you can specify an application to launch. The macro engine seems pretty complete to me--you can record keys, mouse clicks and combinations thereof (like CTRL+SHIFT+Left Click). You also have the option to include time delays. It looks like there should be a way to make modifications to this without having to re-record your macro, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. No big deal... either way. Since you can record rather complex macros, you could assign an unusual and difficult Macro to the ring-finger keys and then maybe get some mileage out of it, but they better not require the pointer to hold still because using those keys, I ALWAYS move the mouse at least a little, even if I'm trying not to... very unnatural...

The scroll wheel and the "Diablo" logo on the back of the mouse pulsate red. The engine allows you to control how fast that happens (or disable it completely). The engine does NOT allow you to change the pointer speed. You can change the polling rate between 125 and 1000 Hz, but the speed seems to stay pretty constant for me. That's not a big deal, though-- you can use the Windows mouse controls for that.

The mouse uses a laser tracking system and seems to work flawlessly, even on my glossy wood desk.

Personally, I prefer a mouse with a little more heft to it, but this one is perfectly usable. Even though it is lighter than my other mouse, it still feels solid.

So why only 4 stars? Several times while I was messing around in the engine, my left mouse click would quit working and I had to unplug my mouse and plug it back in in order to keep using it. This only seems to occur when I'm playing around in the engine--not during normal use (at least not yet). In fairness to the mouse, I have drivers for several other mice on this computer and they may be interfering with each other, but all the same, I don't have these problems with any others and the left mouse click is kind of a big deal. If it did it outside of the engine, I would have to drop this down to 1 star since losing that functionality during a game (remember, this IS a gaming mouse) would only be slightly better than having the batteries die on you. So far, though, it is just a quirk that will only contribute to the loss of a single star (along with the awkward button placement).

===== UPDATE 12/2/2011 ======
A friend of mine was invited to use the Diablo III Beta and has been playing it for some time now. He has beaten it using all but one of the rolls. I let him use this mouse for a couple days. At first he wasn't sure how he felt about it because the button by your pinky finger is (by default) tied to you potions. As I noted above, this button is really in a poor place--hard to use and easy to click accidentally. He accidentally used several potions without meaning to during the first day he played with it. Once he got used to the mouse, however, he said it was a great improvement over his other gaming mouse (Razer Naga Epic Gaming Mouse) because this one was better optimized for this particular game. Now that he's been using it for about a week, I'm pretty sure that when I ask for it back, he's going to run out and buy one for himself. NOTE: I asked him if he has ever had the quirk I mentioned above with the left button not working and he said it has not happened to him once.
66 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2011
Got this mouse for Christmas and installed it a couple days ago.

First Impressions:
The mouse was very easy to install, simply just plug it in and use it, when you're ready to try setting up macros, etc download the software from the steelseries site.
The cord on the mouse is high quality braided fabric which is so important in maintaining the integrity of the mouse's performance. The body of the mouse has a very soft 'rubberized' feel, very comfortable for my hand. The lights on the mouse are behind the wheel and behind the Diablo III name near bottom, these lights pulse and are adjustable for varying brightness and frequency. Performance wise the mouse's movements seem very precise and the mouse is very light so not seeing any hand fatigue issues.

Downside. The mouse's body has a low profile and because of this the two buttons on the right side (im right handed) have become a serious problem. Its almost impossible to move the mouse around without those being pressed (was using in the Tribes Ascend beta and whenever I tried reacting quickly to anything my weapon would suddenly start changing. Had to disable both the right side buttons but once this was done worked very well.

So overall I think the mouse is very much worth the money just for the longevity and superior performance you will get but if you are a serious button nut and need all the buttons on the mouse I would try another mouse then.
on November 28, 2011
I went to BlizzCon 2011 and this mouse was located a their Diablo 3 Demo stations -- from the first 30 minutes or so of using the mouse I fell in love with it.

Normally I am very particular with my mice, after all I have been using a Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1a for about 8 years because it was just such a good fit and great, reliable performance. Gaming mice, to me, are often overburdened with a bunch of unnecessary features that just end up hiking up the price. The Diablo 3 Mouse is very similar to the well-reviewed Steelseries Xai with a few, positive exceptions:

-- The mouse buttons have less of a stiffness to them than normal mice it seems. After about a half-day's use the clicks are very responsive and take little pressure to actuate. Spam clicking in any game is effortless and with the extended warranty on the buttons themselves I am not worried about them wearing out like so many other mice I have tried in the past have done.
-- The Steelseries Engine software allows customization and macros, which are useful for all games and applications, but it is not overbearing with settings that I honestly shouldn't have to think about (the Sensei, I consider, to be TOO configurable).
-- The branded style of the mouse I would usually find as a turnoff, as I did with previous Steelseries products. However, The Diablo 3 design is incredibly well done and the mouse does not look "tacky" at all, it is very appealing.

As far as general use and features, I have been very pleased and have some key comments on this as well:

-- The side buttons are well placed and easy to press. Some have complained that the right side buttons are hit accidentally but I have never had that problem.
-- The mouse is not large, which allows for a variety of grips and for a comfortable fit even for people with smaller hands, such as myself.
-- The DPI toggle on the top of the button is placed so that it is never mis-pressed. I usually use a lower sensitivity for most games and applications, but if I need some extra speed I can easily toggle it.
-- The braided cord is great and very durable. These cords are standard with many gaming mice. If you have a problem with it hitching on your desk, I would suggest to get one of the variety of inexpensive mouse wire holders.

Overall I have been very pleased. I've found the mouse great for casual use as well as perfect for my Diablo 3 beta, Starcraft 2 (Master's league player), and Quake Like play. While it is too early to say, "this mouse is great I've had it for 5 years with no problems!" I am confident I will be using it for a long time.

Hope this helps!
on September 12, 2014
High failure rate: Bought three of these mice, two were dead within a day. One continues to work fine. Here's what happened:

- One of the mice failed to operate after pressing the middle button below the mouse wheel. This caused its LED to flash, and the mouse ceased to function.

- One of the mice died with the same symptoms, but for a different reason. That mouse could not accept the firmware update from the SteelSeries software, and ceased functioning.

We scoured the web for causes of this, and we tried all the available remedies. There are no shortage of "blinking light" issues out there that have been reported for this mouse. One recommended cure that SteelSeries posted on their blog involved over a dozen steps, several of which I would only recommend for power users. We tried many remedies on both PC and Mac systems. SteelSeries customer support seems willing to help, but I'll probably just resolve with an Amazon refund.

The one working mouse is actually really good. The ergonomics are solid, especially if you are left-handed, it feels good in the hand and it tracks well. If you get one that happens to work it's a great value. When you operate the mouse, especially the wheel, you can tell that it's a couple steps below a Razer Taipan. But at half the price, from a mechanical perspective it would be a very strong price/performance ratio, and I wish I had received three working units.

However, it's the software that is the real weakness of the SteelSeries. They are not even in the same league as Razer when it comes to driver and mouse support, especially when it comes to Mac OSX compatibility. The drivers and management software are buggy, even for the one working mouse, and according to their documentation you may need to uninstall and reinstall all of the software if you attempt to plug the mouse into a different USB port than you originally used.

As such, I suspect the problems we are having with two of these mice are software- and firmware-related, and only fixable by SteelSeries. I would accept their offer to repair the mice, but at this point I have little confidence in their software and we have moved on.

I see that today a different seller-of-record is now listed for this item. But unless you want to risk spending time resolving frustrating issues, I strongly recommend against this product.

In the end, we went with the more expensive Razer Taipan, which is an exceptional product, and we would have saved time, and therefore money, if we had started with that in the first place.
on November 19, 2013
Steelseries has always been one of the brands I dreamed I could afford. I found this mouse on sale and couldn't pass it up. I upgraded to this mouse from a Razer Deathadder, and this mouse by comparison feels better in every way. Since I game at 1080p, I am able to run this at a lower CPI (around 2400). This means the mouse runs more smoothly (the closer you run a mouse to it's maximum sensitivity, the more often your mouse is likely to skip a frame). I personally hold my mouse in a "claw grip," so it's slightly smaller design doesn't deter me. The profiling software that Steelseries gives you (engine) is simple and comprehensive, but also very complete, allowing you not only to save multiple profiles, but to tie these profiles to applications. This product is well constructed in everyway, from the braided cable to the nonslip coated body, to it's incredibly accurate laser. I would highly recommend this product to any avid PC gamer.
on April 12, 2012
Just picked this up and I am very happy with it.

The entire mouse has a nice rubber coating, feels like silicone, very pleasing texture.

I have never been able to justify installing mouse drivers but this one has features that make it feel worth it.
The software has nice sliders for DPI presets and lighting presets as well as the standard game specific profiles.
You can create more than 1 profile for each game which is nice to.

The lighting on it looks very nice and there is a "Trigger" setting that makes the lights pulse on when you click, very cool.

The woven cord cover is a nice touch and in my experience adds a lot of durability as well as making it easy to pick out of a tangle of USBs.

I was worried about this being a "Low Profile" mouse but it feels similar to my old Logitech G5, very natural.

Like others have said I can see right handed gamers bumping the mice button on the pinky finger side on accident, you should bind them as non essential buttons or disable them until you get a feel for it (by using the driver software).

Clicking is satisfying and slightly higher pitch than my old G5.

The cord is about a foot shorter than my other mice, this works well for me and prevents desk clutter but if you have your tower on the floor and mouse on the desk you might need to move the tower or pick up an extension USB cable.

I played some Skyrim, SC2, BF3 and Torchlight to test it out, worked amazing once I got the DPI set right (again using the driver software).

The usb is gold tipped, no improvement there, but it looks nice when not being used.

The tribal design is top notch and looks nice with the tractor tire-esq mouse wheel rubber.

Steel Series logos on the underside and the USB plug are nice finishing touches, and it comes with 1 sticker with the same logo. I woulda liked 2 but thats just nit picking.

By default it does not have fwr and back mapped to the thumb buttons so you will need to set that up, not hard, just another step before you can use it normally.
on April 25, 2014
Just a disclosure: I am not a 'pro', and may not use all the right terminology here when referring to the mouse's features & functions. But I will try and describe as best I can the features for which I don't know the proper terms.

I truly believe that the list price is in fact $69.99, as is claimed on the product page.

The whole package screams high-quality -- literally, the box itself is very sturdy and well-decorated; it is believably a Blizzard-endorsed product. You know right away that it is not one of those knockoff products -- I bought based on the positive reviews, and had no idea it was an official product. It comes with a nice little packet which holds the owner's 'manual', a small brochure of other gaming items from the manufacturer, and a few stickers. All well-produced.

I know, I know, it's just the box. But I was impressed!

Now, to the part that actually matters. I've used the mouse for about 5 hours play time so far. It has a solid feel to it, and I especially like the scroll wheel -- it's slightly textured and has good resistance. Below the scroll wheel is a little triangular button which, if turned 'on', greatly ups the dpi (depicted by a small red light between the wheel & button being illuminated). I believe dpi is the right terminology.

The shape of the mouse is ergonomically-pleasing, but may be a little big for those with smaller hands. Being a female, my hands did feel a little small for it at first in that the mouse seemed to 'fill' my palm, length-wise (towards my wrist), more than usual. But I quickly got used to it.

The braided cord is a nice touch, and the USB connection feels tight & durable. For the purpose of this review, I did test the 'ambidextrous comfort' claim -- I found that it did feel quite comfortable in my left hand, or as comfortable as a mouse can feel in the left hand of a 'righty'. This does not seem to detract from the right-hand comfort -- I could not tell it was intended as an ambidextrous mouse until I re-read the product description a few minutes ago.

My only complaint is that the two pairs of side-buttons on either side are too easy to hit. I went in to my key-bindings to un-map them. Some people may consider this a plus, though, if they want to use them.

For the record, I use Mac OS X 10.8 and also had a flawless plug & play experience.
on February 13, 2014
I previously was using an original 2012 Razer Naga with 12 buttons on the side. One of the most annoying features of the mouse was not having a Mouse Button 4/5 that were easily accessible. (The naga had weird buttons near your index finger that felt impossible to push even after 2 years of use)

I no longer play MMO's, and mostly play games like Battlefield, Diablo, and Steam games, so the extra buttons were not necessary in the slightest.

Enter the SteelSeries Diablo III gaming mouse. Not only is it much lighter than my previous mouse, its far more balance for lifting, and functionality wise, I have more buttons I can use on the mouse, even though there are less buttons overall.

The software from the website is fantastic and allows programming of all the buttons for specific programs as well as for the overall mouse. This also allows you to turn off the lighting, and change its intensity and frequency. I currently have mine set to pulse slowly at maximum intensity, but there was a setting I found interesting to make it light up on each click of the primary or secondary buttons. While these aren't "vital" features, I find them nifty.

Overall, the mouse feels very well put together, and with the Omcron switches under the hood, will withstand quite a lot of clicks in the upcoming gaming sessions I will be putting it through!

Pros:
Light Weight
Tactile Response (great clicks)
Adjustable LED (for turning off at night)
Braided USB cord
Easily usable Mouse 4/5 buttons
Ambidextrous
Perfectly Balanced

Cons:
Less buttons than my previous mouse (YMMV)
Might feel to "light" for some who are used to heavier mice
on July 23, 2014
The mouse was delivered by the third party supplier on exactly the right day that was forecasted, and the mouse was at a very reasonable price to pick it up. However, the problem with the mouse was that it did not work at all. I had plugged it into my laptop from which I had a microsoft mouse already plugged in (and working), and the Steelseries mouse refused to be recognized through that USB port or any USB port that I had plugged it into.

The mouse continued to not work even after I had installed Steelseries driver software for the mouse. I had installed, un-installed, and re-installed, and nothing worked to resolve the issue. The mouse simply did not get recognized by my laptop or any system that I had plugged it into. Disappointing, but unstandable, these things happen. Hoping to speak with the company that sold the product for a refund.
on May 13, 2012
I write this review more to give a warning than to share product details.

Amazon had to send me two of this mouse. The first one arrived last week. I plugged it into my PC and it worked fine for a day or two. Then I downloaded the software from Steelseries' website so that I could access the advanced functions. (No, there is no disc included with the software and no instructions to go to the website to download the software. They leave it for us to know to do that to access the advanced functions.)

Anyway, I downloaded the software and it killed the mouse! The lights all went black except for the little red circle above the scroll wheel. I even tried plugging the mouse into a second computer and the problem persisted - so I knew it wasn't just a question of how computer #1 was setup, but inside the mouse.

I called up Amazon and got a great rep who was actually taking part in the Diablo beta, so he knew how important it was to get the replacement before Diablo III itself comes out next week. Without any hassle, he overnighted me the new mouse. Hooray for Amazon! I plugged the new mouse in and it immediately worked. Since I had the Steel Series software already installed, everything was hunky dory. The software recognized the mouse and all is now right with the world.

My advice - Install the software from the manufacturer's website BEFORE plugging in the mouse.

Otherwise, this seems to be a very nice mouse. I wish it were a little taller, so it would sit more comfortably in my big sasquatch-like hands, but hopefully I will adapt. The cord is thick like a shoe-lace. The red glow is beautiful and soothing. The buttons all seem easy enough to access. We're still a few days from the big game release, so I will most likely update this review once the mouse has been put to it's real test.