Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on December 9, 2011
Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Halo was a popular headset, so I was excited to try this unit. The design is very minimalist and beautiful, like something out of the Bang & Olufsen line. The build quality with all plastic material borders on feeling cheap, but probably saved by the matte headband finish and velour lining. Impression on the sound quality, however, was disappointing, mostly due to "surround" sound processing that cannot be turned off. Let me try to break it down:

Likes:

- Style: build quality aside, this is a beautifully designed headset that looks its part. It also managed to have extendable headband without breaking the clean lines. Style is subjective, but for me it is appealing.
- Control: contrary to many who found it problematic, I grew to like the touch sensitive volume control from initial ambivalence. It allows volume adjustment very quickly but not inaccurately. It also registers next/previous tracks with double taps on the top and bottom, which also worked well, though it can be a little tricky at first to find the right corners. Touching it accidentally is possible, but seeing how it takes 2 very long and directional swipes from minimum to maximum volume, it isn't as easy to do or as damaging as one might think.
- Easy dual pairing: I paired it with my PC and phone, both connects immediately when the headset turns on, and switches between A2DP stereo profile and headset (mono) profile readily and without problems (note: you can't hear stereo during a call/conference that uses its microphone, as it will use a headset profile. Only by using a separate microphone will allow full sound quality during voice conference).
- Using this for voice dialogues has been great--sound picks up clearly from the noise cancelling microphone and the mid-range enhanced quality of the headphones also makes for clear voice sounds.
- Uses a widely available generic micro-USB charging port. The included USB cable and charging cable are both fairly long, and you can listen while you charge.

Don't like so much:
- Fit and Comfort: The simple design also makes it feel like having a clamp on your head. There is very little articulation (if at all) of the earpads, which can sit on top of your ear in a slightly awkward way. The velour material is not well padded and does not make for a comfortable experience. The same said material also doesn't provide much friction. The headset can pivot on your ears and fall off fairly easily on movement.
- The velour lining material attracts lint fairly easily.
- This product can better be served with a real on/off switch. As it is, I don't think the folding design really saves much space at all to make it truly portable, or its tendency to fall off on movement really inspiring confidence for portable use. I use this primarily at home, and having to snap+slide the arm every time I want to turn it on and off seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the flimsy-looking plastic hinge/latch. They could have easily done it with the single physical button as an added function, without any more hardware switch implementation.
- The sound: This is my biggest gripe, with all the others being minor. There is built in "surround sound" processing. However, as we can imagine, surround sound isn't really possible on a headset. What the processing essentially does, is do partial channel cross mixing. In other words, the channel separation isn't complete. There is a bit of right channel bleeding into the left, and vice versa. This has been tried in the high end headphone amps to create a pseudo sound stage and arguably reduce listening fatigue.

However, the processing resulted in several artifacts which you may find problematic if you are semi-serious about your music. There is audible distortion in even low volumes--and yes I chose my sources carefully and understand the limitations of A2DP being lossy--and occasionally rather obvious it's distracting.

There is a veiled hollowness to the sound, a distant feel that makes you struggle to hear your favorite music track's original fullness and detail--which is no longer there. The mid-range sounds emphasized, which is great for voice communications, but that's also contributing to a slightly "tinny" quality in music tracks. The highs are surprisingly subdued. There is obviously artificial enhancement to the bass, but it is not very deep. The bass concentrates on the mid-bass region, with the deepest frequencies missing. However, for an over-the-ear transducer, the amount of mid-bass response is not unimpressive, and for many that may be enough cover up for all its other sound artifacts. In short, the frequency responses are clustered in the mid to mid-bass regions,colored by "surround sound" characteristics and distortion.

I wish Jabra had at least provided a way to switch off the sound processing. That would have at least allowed for its full potential to be revealed, or possibly achieved with some user equalization. As of now the distortion alone would ruin it beyond equalization correction. If you care about the absolute sound quality of your music, this is probably a skip. However, if you are just a casual listener, use it often for voice communication and non-critical stereo sounds, like thumpy mid-bass, don't need to run/walk around with it, the Halo2 does an decent job with a sleek design that is easy to love.
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2011
I'm finally writing this review after having owned these headphones for a couple of years now. I get a lot of compliments from people on the appearance if that is important to you.

Let me first tell you how I use them. They are my office headphones. I stream music, music radio and once in a while a podcast. I do not use it for phone calls so you might check other reviews for that. I do not use these during any kind of physical activity. I'm sure they would fall off in short order. But this is also what makes them comfortable. I wear these for several hours on occasion and I never get any kind of ear fatigue.

The headphones are very contemporary looking with the volume control invisible as it is activated by sliding your left finger along the outside of the earphone. There is one inconspicuous button on the right side to answer the phone with. This button is slightly concave and easy to find.

The headphones are turned on by opening them. This has always made me nervous as I was concerned that fatigue would eventually cause problems with the wiring. But I use these several times a week and they are still going strong. A tiny piece of plastic did crack, and later, broke off. I was sure this was the beginning of the end but not so. They They sill work like new. That was over a year ago. Just be gentle when opening and closing and I thing you will be fine.

SOUND
I love the sound that you can get out of these. If I want I can turn the volume fairly low so that I can still hear what is happening around me but not completely lose the bass. They still sound very good at low volume.

BATTERIES
The one thing I have never quite figured out is that some times the charger does not seem to activate and charge the headphones. I believe that the charger needs to be plugged in, in the off/folded position. Then the headphones are unfolded to turn them on and activate charging. But I can't say with 100% certainty and the manual that came with my set wasn't clear.

In any a full charge lasts, by my estimate 8-10 hours when used as headphones. If used for talking on the phone I'm not sure how the batteries would be impacted. When they are getting low you will hear an occasional beep in your ear letting you know it is time to charge.

RANGE
I can walk over to the copy machine with no problem. That is about 60-75 from my cube. I'm not sure how much further it would go.

CONCLUSION
After two years of use they work like new. I would certainly buy another set. In my view, they are perfect for an office environment as you can work around your office without having to deal with cords. They allow you to keeping hearing-touch with things around you so you don't feel completely isolated. They look cool on top of it all.
So close to perfection that with some structural modifications, this headset will replace several different kinds of headset that you own, including your Bluetooth earpiece and your moderate priced headphones. It's that promising.

The "Halo 2" is the second edition of Jabra's "Halo" line of wireless stereo headsets. This is both a wireless headset and a standard headset with a 1/8" jack.

The set comes with:

The Headpiece
Micro USB-AC plug
Micro USB-1/8 jack
Micro USB-USB port

****Sound****
I've had wireless Bluetooth headsets in the past and every time I've gone back to the store to return them for a refund because the sound-reproduction was horrible. I also have several Bluetooth earpieces and I use them mainly for conversations when I'm on the road. I never use those single earpieces for music anyway since I have my regular earbuds handy when I'm on the bus or train.

BTW, most of the Bluetooth headsets you'll find up until recently had a base station that you had to connect to your Bluetooth device in order for you to hear out of the headset. That didn't impress me, so to see companies like Jabra who also make their "Sport" line of truly wireless headsets as well as Bose, these devices have come a long way.

After I made my Evo 3D discoverable, I watched some videos--comedy, music and interviews--and was wonderfully impressed with the sound. (I can now listen to Lisa Lampinelli roast whomever without having to turn down the volume in order not to insult anyone delicate taste.)

I also watched a two-hour documentary, Turtle: The Incredible Journey [Blu-ray] on Netflix after I made my laptop discoverable. It was just like I was in my own private theater with Dolby Surround Sound.

I also turned off the Bluetooth receiver and plugged the headset into my Sony stereo and played selections from The Barry White Boxed Set: Just for You. To hear The Maestro and his deep baritone is to hear music at its best. You can't go cheap with a techie device like this and spending upwards of a $100. And, you're not shortchanged here for audio fidelity. Construction's another issue, but we'll get to that in a moment.

***Calls***
The headset, when fully charged by my testing is roughly 5 hours. About 4 hours, 45 minutes to be more exact. But, the farther away you have the headset from the discoverable-device, the shorter the battery life.

Calls, both listening and speaking was excellent. People on the other line couldn't distinguished when I went outside from when I was inside. This is as good or better than the mid-ranged price earpieces on the market today, including Jabra's own.

***Construction***
This is the Elephant-in-the-room sort of speak. This is a headset that can (or may) replace several different kinds of headphones you may own. The versatility of a wireless headphone means that you walk, run and sit reclined while your device is safely stored away. This device also brings high-fidelity. The sound reproduction is above par and better than many mid-priced sets. But...

You have a headset that is BOTH constructed for the smaller-sized head and a headset that is very delicately made. This is not an oversight that I can neglect to mention.

Since this is a one-size-fit-all deal, it will present a problem because it is not a one-size-fit-all piece. The headband is roughly 3/8" thick with about half of that wrapped in a thin felt material. IF I have an average sized head (although the lady tells me that I have a bigger-than average mouth), the headset fits VERY snugly. The earpads only dropdown in length, not width.

If that were not enough, the headset is VERY delicate. The headset can fold inside, but I was so scared pushing in the arms the first time that I though it necessary to just keep them open and not risk that joints breaking.

The question remains not if they'll break, but when. So, you'll have to bear this in mind.

+ Great audio reproduction, exceptional for stereo wireless headset.
+ Very good vocal-call reception.
+ Plug-in capacity for times when Bluetooth is not needed or inaccessible.
+ 4.5 hours of battery life. 2 hours for recharging.
+ Reasonably priced.
- Poor construction. VERY delicate.

So, 5 minus 1 = 4 stars.
77 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2012
Very compact and I loved using it. Fits snugly over the ears without much pressure and was easy to carry around. The best feature of the product was that you could also use it corded - helps when the charge runs out. Anyways, it was good while it lasted - 3 months. The product looked sturdy when it arrived, but slowly unraveled its weaknesses. First, the stereo stopped worked and I could only hear from one side and later it stopped working altogether. Hope you guys have better luck than me!
on November 26, 2011
I'm a college student, and I was looking for compact headphones that weren't earbuds. I wanted something that could possibly fold and wasn't too expensive in case it gets stolen. I looked at the sennheiser px 100s first, then somehow stumbled across the Jabra Halo2. My home headphones are sennheiser hd 650s so I'll be using the halo2 mostly when I'm out and about. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I do like my music to sound good.

A hard case would have been nice because accidentally sitting on these will definitely break them, but Jabra doesn't include any case or pouch. You may be able to fit the headphones in a sunglass case when they're folded. Jabra does save you the trouble of spending money on cables, though. Included cables are: an outlet charger with a micro usb tip, a usb to micro usb cable, and a micro usb to 1/8 in audio cable. There is also a short start up guide in the box, but no full manual; it can be found in a pdf file on Jabra's site.

The headphones are the supra aural type, and their low weight helps a little with comfort. I wear glasses, and the pressure from the headband squeezed my ears on the arms of my glasses. This got uncomfortable after listening for a while, but after readjusting how I wear the headphones, I got used to the halo2 and even forgot they were on at times. The headband pressure is enough that the headphones won't fall off unless you shake your head like a dog does. There is no on/off switch and the headphones can be turned on by unfolding them and off by folding them back up. I think if they are left unfolded without any connection, they will shut off after some time.

The headphones are built with plastic and have a felt layer lining the inside of the headband. The earpads are made of a thin foam that has very little padding. Other reviewers were saying the hinges don't seem too durable, and I kind of agree with them. The hinges seem ok, and the locking mechanism that keeps the headphones open may crack or wear down over time. If users are careless and use the headphones heavily, the headphones may not last more than a year.

The headphones are very thin and compact. There was no noticeable difference between a hardwire and bluetooth connection for me. I play music from an iphone 3gs, and pairing was quick and simple. The halo2 supports a2dp and avrcp so you can listen to music and control the music from the headphones if your phone supports avrcp. The interface on the headphones could be improved, though. The controls are only on the right side - one physical button and a touch sensitive slider that doubles as the skip/previous song button. You slide your finger up and down for volume control and double tap the upper section to skip to the next song or double tap the lower section to skip backward. The slider is a good idea, but the problem is that there is no physical indicator on the headphones to show where the slider is so changing volume and skipping may take getting used to. It may be a little tricky to find the button or slider when the headphones are on your head. I put some of my sister's tiny nail stickers at the top and bottom of the slider so I have small bumps to show me where the top and bottom are.

The sound quality of the headphones is good for the price and size. A bit more in the higher range would make the headphones balanced better. There is an emphasis on bass and it sounds a like the higher notes are very slightly muffled. I'm still satisfied with the audio quality. There is audio processing built into the headphones that tries to simulate a surround sound effect. I was able to hear the simulated surround sound in some songs, but it isn't too important. The higher notes aren't as prevalent as the bass in the headphone because jabra may have assumed that people who buy the headphones would be younger and more interested in bass heavy songs. I like to hear the bass in my music, and I think the halo2 does a pretty good job of giving listeners adequate bass. The halo2 comes with a microphone built in for use with calling. The call quality is good and people I called said they could hear me fine. It's surprising and convenient that a bluetooth headphone has a mic built in for this price.

4 stars for build, comfort and price; 4 stars for audio quality.

I couldn't find much about the halo2 before I bought it so I hope this helps those who are considering it. Good portable bluetooth headphones with a mic built in. They are compact and light enough for people on the go, all for under $100.

Update - 11/27/11

I found a lowepro case that fits the folded headphones perfectly. The case is called the santiago 30 and is a camera case. I got the case at best buy for around $20. It's a hard compact case that will definitely protect the headphones if they are stored in a backpack.
on March 15, 2012
I had the original halos and they were nice, but the halo 2 is a definite step up in sound quality and actual feel of the headphones. They are definitely not active wear, but riding a bike or power walking they are just fine.
on July 14, 2012
I purchased these because I needed a bluetooth headset that could pair to two devices simultaneously; my Blackberry for conference calls and my laptop for dictation. When I first paired these with my BB, the phone/voice quality was quite good. However, once I paired it with my PC, the voice quality began to drop for both the phone and the dictation software. The Dragon accuracy dropped appreciably, even after re-calibrating Dragon 11.5 for the new device. In four different phone calls, people said I could hardly be heard (low sound, static, tunnel-like). Had to turn them off and finish the call with just the BB.
I will say, the audio quality when listening to music was quite good for a BT device. I get the feeling that once the device is dual paired, it over extends the devices capabilities, I tried resetting it, which is not detailed in the user manual, to clear all pairings, but to no avail. So, I'm back to finding a device to fit my needs.
on February 21, 2016
I own this set of Jabra HALO2 BT headphones (bought on Amazon back in December of 2012). To understand the nature of this product, and to being satisfied with the headset, please read the following -

This product is a luxury-based (but not luxury-priced), minimalist design that is also very sophistcated, but very delicate.
I would suggest it is meant to be worn by immaculately groomed individuals, with no dirt, oils or perspiration of any kind upon the head or hands.
I would suggest it is designed to be worn in the comfort of a air conditioned and sedate environment.
I would suggest it be assembled/disassembled and used with the greatest of care and thought.
I would suggest it is NOT for any type of activity such as sports, working out, cycling, or even outdoor walks. Think leather recliner use, or once on a train or airliner sitting quietly in use.
If you use this product outside the above parameters, its life-expectancy will drop rapidly (it is NOT cheap, just very delicate).
The only two points of concern are: (A) The joint assembly/disassembly must be executed without flaw (100% serious); the specific angles and significant pressure must be just right. Take your time! The joints are NOT cheap, just very delicate. (B) The beautiful black flocking material on the inner side and ear pads is very delicate; if you don't put on/ take off the headset as you would a million dollar tiara made of rice paper you will find it will start to malform and degrade. Both points A & B are NOT a reflection of poor quality (in fact it is high quality in construction, just not robust), but rather that I am stressing that if you want the headset to last, as it should, then you can not be a beast when handling it. This headset is not for everyone (especially not a child), it is for the person that will treat their equipment with the utmost care. If you want a 'tank' of a headset, do not buy this model.

This particular design is meant for quiet to moderate sound environments. The ear pads are not cups. Even the band is ever so slightly cantored so you can not accidentally put the headset on in the wrong orientation (L-R vs R-L).

With that said, this set of BT headphones is -
Ultra light (for a banded headset)
Ultra comfortable (really)
Very high tech (love the proximity touch volume control)
Fairly up-to-date (BT version 3.0 and protocal A2DP, and can even be paired to 2 devices at the same time, while remembering upto 8 different pairings)
Has very good sound quality and volume (although not the largest sized drivers at 32 [vs 40])
Is very beautiful and posh (very slim with just the right curves and colors).
Its value exceeds its price (which is becoming rare), but ONLY if you use it in the specified manner. $100 would likely be the match point.
It would have been nice if it came with a small drawstring bag to keep dust off, and assure the 'arms' stayed closed, when not in use.

I would highly recommend them.

In use, just act as mindful as you would wearing a Armani suit. If you want nice things to last, act accordingly. If Jabra physically re-designed this headset, but used materials like titanium to make it indestructible, it would cost $400+, but give you the same audio results. I'm glad they didn't, but rather made a nice set which is affordable (my first pair cost $73 [on Amazon], now the lowest price is $85 [on Amazon]) to the masses.

I have owned this Jabra HALO2 headset for 3 and 1/6th years, and they have served me well under the restrained conditions followed above. I can imagine if treated in an exemplary fashion, they should last 5 years, or even more. If you fully understand the conditions above and can follow them, you will LOVE this product also, and I urge you to buy it. If you have money to burn, and don't care that they will come apart in a year because you treated them roughly (read like a 'sports' set), then buy them also. If you are the latter person, just don't complain when it happens.

I'm even contemplating buying a second set to be used exclusively with a top-end Yaesu VX-8DR amatuer radio HT that is fully complimented with BT capabilities.
on June 22, 2012
If you have any reservations about these headphones, let me put you at ease. Simply put, these are the best headphones I have ever used, and I used a lot over the years. I actually put this purchase on hold awhile until I could research them a little more, now I wish I wouldn't have waited. The videos I watched on YouTube helped, but they didn't give these enough credit. The sound reproduction is amazing, highs are crisp and lows are clear and distortion free. Some reviews complained that the volume was too low, maybe that was due to the source, because I.just don't agree. A great buy!
on March 21, 2012
I always wanted a good (Bluetooth or not) cordless headset, but always had issues with in-ear headset and over-the-ear headset. Specially with longer conversations they prove to add some additional torture to lengthy conversations, not to mention actual PAIN when wearing them.

I've tried numerous headsets ("ear" models) from good brands like Jabra, Plantronics, Ericsson, etc. None of them seem to work for me. I've also tried numerous "over-the-head" or "behind-the-head" models from cheap brands to reputable brands like Sony and Logitech. They all proved to be a pain to use. Typical issues include battery live to short, bulky, and still poor sound quality.

This model however truly surprised me.
It's lightweight, it feels very comfortable, great sound quality (both phone calls and music), great microphone (the other party didn't even hear that I was using a headset), love that it can be charged with a standard micro-USB charger (easy to get your hands on a second charger, or a car adapter), no flimsy and confusing buttons, paired right away (tried: MacBook Pro, iPad, and a HTC Android phone), gentle sound feedback with functions (volume control, next/prev song, start/end call), easy to switch on (unfold it) and off (fold it), compatible with non-Bluetooth devices (ie. Airplane), etc.

The only two cons I could come up with:

1) Every time I have to fold it, it feels like I'm going to break it. Others have mentioned this as well, so it wasn't a surprise. I wonder who will be the first one to report that they actual broke it.

2) A case/glove for travel would have been nice. The soft padding might need some attention if I would not put it in some kind of protective glove or case.

Right now I can highly recommend this headset for listening to music, and for making phone/Skype calls.