Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now STEM

on May 24, 2012
I had a black outbox defender since I purchased my 4S and I was somehow happy with the protection. I was looking for a pink or purple case for a while and I wanted the hard case inside with soft rubber from the outside. I tried hard cases before and they do not work for me. If they fall on the floor your phone go spinning without the case. Not a good scenario. The rubber from the real tree is much firmer and do not bend like my previous black out defender case. I am so very happy with the purchase.
11 comment|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2012
Protecting a $200 phone is quite a formidable task and a lot of cell phone case companies do not seem to understand protection. They strive for style, design, and aesthetics. To me, this is all nonsense. Otterbox understands the principle of protection better than any other company making these types of products. Fuction is what I am looking for and and this company produces fuctioning cell phone cases. These 4S generation cases share an improved design, mainly with the camera area. I think people were complaining about shadowed pictures and video due to the tight camera cut out. They widened it to ensure the new 8MP camera with not be hindered by a design flaw.

First, the defender technically provides more protection than the commuter and also comes with a handy holster with a clip. However, the defender is bulky and the port covers do not stay as well as the model for the 3GS. Also, I am not a fan of the defender because of the screen protector it comes with. Eventually, particles of dust or grit will work their way into your case and be sandwiched between the screen and the hard plastic film. Then, friction from your finger will scratch the screen up pretty bad (this happened to me). To make matters worse, I put a Zagg shield on it and it basically fused with the screen protector on the defender. I needed to pry the phone off the case and, while doing so, lifted the glass of the phone, creating permanant air pockets in my screen. Not a good scenario at all. The anti-glar films sold at the apple store, however, work fine because they have a smoother, less sticky surface. I would not reccomend this case at all, though, without these screen protectors because without a screen protector, air bubbles will form and distort your view and scratches on the screen will occur. But, if you work construction or another potentially hazardous job, this case with the anti-glare screen protectors may be a better choice then the Commuter series of cases.

The Commuter, on the other hand, offers a balance between versitility and protection. With this case, I can use my Zagg shield and is not peeled up by the case like many do. Also, I love the soft shell on the inside and the hard shell outside. The soft inner allows the port and button covers to be attached to the case and function propperly. This also helps absorb shock. The hard shell allows the phone to slide in and out of pockets very easily, even out of tighter jeans. In addition, it has a much thinner profile than the defender but still provides adequate protection. The ports are still protected from water and it can take a tumble. I've dropped my 4S about 4 times with this case on it, on hard surfaces from pretty significant hieghts (5 feet or so on some) and the case barely even shows it let alon the phone wrapped up inside. Also, by flipping the phone face down, the exposed inner rubber case prevents it from slipping if you needed it to stay put, for instance, in a car. For the average person, the commuter is the superior choice.

However, both cases with the lighter colored silicon soft shells, like white and grey, get dirty easily. They even get stained from dye in jeans. Not a huge deal to me, but might be to some. Overall, these are the two best cases on the market for the iPhone and believe me, I have researched and read up on them all. You must simply decide what your needs are for a case and make your decision.
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2012
I spent a great deal of time looking for a new case for my 4GS after my Kate Spade silicone one stretched too much to be reliable. I have 3 kids and a giant diaper bag that definitely put my phone in jeapordy on a daily basis. My husband had an Otterbox and I liked the protection, but I wanted something that didn't look like it belonged to a guy that drives a jeep and wears Teva's. I looked at the Commuter series but took seriously the reviews that said that the white silicone got dirty quickly and wasn't possible to clean. The white parts of this case are hard plastic and the silicone portion is gray, much easier to keep looking nice. The protection is very good. I have an antiglare film on my iphone and note that it requires slightly more pressure than before on the touch screen but I adapted within a couple of days and now don't notice the difference. Like all otterboxes this case adds a bit of heft to the phone, but I like the phone for its functionality, not it's slim design, so it doesn't bother me. The pink print on back isn't TOO feminine, but I have already received several compliments on it from other women. It has a slightly sandpapery texture so it doesn't slip around on hard surfaces - a major plus, but it still goes easily in and out of pockets. I tried some flash photography and am not getting the reflection that washes out the picture like I did with my other case. Overall, this case is everything I was looking for. The only downside is that it is soooo much more expensive than the other otterbox cases? What gives? Otterbox - there are millions of women out there waiting for some pretty cases - why don't you give us some more options and increase your sales?
on April 1, 2012
This is a very pretty case in person. I'm not a camo person but I do love trees so I thought I'd give this one a try after not being able to find it in stores anywhere. It's a great case that fits my iphone 4s perfectly and allows great function and protection. Easy to put on and clean and all around great looking.
on May 17, 2012
Bought this as I gift. The girl loved it! Looks just as sharp as in the pictures. BONUS!! the camo pattern on the back is not as soft as the regular silicone and thus is not as sticky. This makes this case the toughest of the Otterbox lineup, but does not cling to your pocket like the other defenders. Usability of the commuter but with strength of the Defender.... SCORE! I think I need one for myself now.
on August 5, 2012
I got this for my wife this is the third otter box she has had and this one is worst. She has only had it for 2 weeks and on the corners of the grey part it is peeling. None of her other ones have done this.
on April 12, 2012
I love the looks and the protection it provides for my phone. It is very pretty and unique. It was easy to put together and I am very happy with my purchase. Great price compared to $59.99. My local Verizon did not even know this otterbox was available. I am sure women would love this case.
on August 23, 2012
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!!!! This Otterbox is fake!!! Hard plastic shell, not rubber, printed on realtree graphic. Generic print of black otterbox packaging. Poor quality everything!!! THIS IS NOT AN OTTERBOX!!! I have Otterbox cases and this isn't an Otterbox!!!
77 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2015
I take it back. This case does NOT hold up well at all! It isn't "nearly indestructible" as claimed by Otterbox. Sure it survived a drop to a carpeted floor, but it couldn't survive the stress of repeatedly removing the case from the holster. The crack that developed is obviously a stress crack, which appeared several months after the non-forceful toss to a carpeted floor. When I take the holster off, the crack widens. Maybe I can get someone to take a video of this, but for now, all I have is a picture.

When the screen is hidden, I put the holster on the same way so I can access the volume buttons, so it put one side of the plastic case under constant stress. Even so, it should have held up if Otterbox's claims were true. The stress crack developed before the one-year-warranty was up. When I tried to get Otterbox to stand behind their warranty, they couldn't offer an exact replacement. All my accessories match the original Otterbox because I stupidly believed their claim that the case was nearly indestructible. The cases they offered me were obviously the cases that were left after people had bought all the nice-looking cases. They gave me a choice of a 10% discount (seriously?) or these colors:

BLACK,

PINK/PLUM (DEEP PLUM)

Or you can choose from these Combinations:

LID/BASE PEONY PINK

SILICONE (BLACK)

SILICONE (DEEP TEAL)

SILICONE (GUNMETAL GRAY)

SILICONE (NIGHT BLUE)

I didn't want any of these. Notice that the only two base colors I could choose were black or pink. Black is hard to see at the bottom of a purse and I simply don't like pink. It isn't a true warranty if you can't offer the original colors, a halfway decent replacement or a refund larger than 10%. EPIC FAIL.

My opinion of Otterbox has plummeted and I will certainly be more careful when I deal with them in the future.

I really like the colors of the case I bought. All my accessories match, so despite of my new opinion of Otterbox, I bought another case at full price, which will probably develop stress cracks as well. :(

So I decided I would gouge Otterbox as much as possible for their false claims:

1) They claim their cases are almost indestructible. Bull. Mine developed a stress crack within a year of my purchase.

2) misleading claim of a 1-year warranty. YOU WON'T GET THE SAME CASE. YOU PROBABLY WON'T GET A CASE YOU REMOTELY LIKE. YOU WON'T GET A FULL REFUND OR EVEN A FAIR PARTIAL REFUND. YOU'LL ONLY GET 10%.

So, I paid about $3 shipping and got a solid black case. Guys might like it and maybe I can sell it on craigslist for half the asking price to defray the cost of a replacement.

Before the edit, I wrote this: "This is an awesome, stylish case. I was waiting at a doctor's appointment and a man inquired about it. I was so confident in this product, I put the holster over the face of the phone and tossed it onto the floor. It emerged unscathed. Of course. WARNING: I'm NOT endorsing this sort of treatment, but the case makes your phone very sturdy. I couldn't afford a new iPhone and yet I didn't feel I was taking a risk by tossing it onto the floor. Again: I'm not endorsing this, so if you try this experiment, don't blame me if something goes wrong. :)"
review image
on August 7, 2012
My last iPhone got "water damaged" <eye roll> this alone is another story. I asked the Apple people if they had or made a cover that covered ALL the ports? They told me to look into an Otterbox. I did. At first I couldn't see in all the pictures if it did indeed cover everything but then I watched like 3 videos on how to install your cover and viola! Everything is covered.

This specific cover is supposed to absorb all bumps and crashes and water submersion. In all perfect honesty I am not a rough and tumble girl and I don't really think it prudent to actually throw my iPhone in it's new cover against a brick wall just to see if it'll bounce. I'll just take it on faith that it does what it's supposed to do. With my last phone, before I had a cover, I did drop it a couple of times and put a nice dent in the corner. I feel confident that the Otterbox will take the drop just fine.

The main reason I wanted this specific cover was to cover the charging port where the water damaged occurred. This cover does that. I am very happy. There were several complaints a couple years back about this cover allowing moisture to get trapped between the screen and the phone. OTTERBOX FIXED THAT PROBLEM. I have no issues with this whatsoever.

The only minor complaint I have, and it's very very minor, is last night I discovered a very small teeny tiny chip in the screen. Probably about the size of a pin head. I'm not sure the screen cover is or was supposed to allow this to happen. But then that's why it's there isn't it? So the actual phone does obtain this chip in it.

The cover on the phone is a bit bulky but you can still put it in a pocket or like I do in my work bag just fine. It sort of has a bit of a coating in the backside that makes it so it doesn't slip and slide around in your pocket or purse. It's not a rubber sticky coating but a sort of matte finish coating. It doesn't get lint stuck to it or anything. I think of it like a coaster you put your drinking glass on when you put it on your table top. It just doesn't slide around is my point. No fear of it coming out of your pocket!

I would highly recommend this cover DEFENDER series cover to anyone that wants to make sure their phone stays brand new.