Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

• Maxim
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$8.99

on February 12, 2002
I've been reading Maxim since about issue #3. I used to really enjoy the magazine: their witty remarks and interviews with the monthly babes and product reviews were both entertaining and interesting. However, I'm now letting my subscription run out. Maxim has went through something like 3 editors since I've been reading and the magazine is getting progressively worse.
Maxim used to taste test microwave and fast food-type items and give them real, insightful ratings/reviews...things like pizza rolls, pizza pockets, etc. Now there's a fictional person named Hiroki, who does tests on stupid foods. So instead of "One tester said, 'Red Barron pizza had a crispy crust, but was a bit greasy,'" we're left with "Hiroki said the edible panties, 'Taste like chicken. Yum.'"
Another area where Maxim disappoints is in the number of advertisements. The magazine is now significantly thicker and stuffed with ads. In fact, I have ripped the first 10 pages or so out of my last several issues because those first 10 pages are all advertisements!
Maxim also puts a lot of emphasis on their women, who have decreased in quality (read: not as good looking). They do some heavy duty tweaking on the computer too; all of the models look like their skin is made of polished copper.
Maxim has called me no less than 4 times to get me to renew my subscription...I HATE telemarketers! The last time they called I finally asked to be removed from their calling list. They have been sending me "this is your last chance to renew letters" for about 4 months. Great, more junk mail.
Don't get me wrong, Maxim isn't a terrible magazine, but I don't think it's worth subscribing to anymore. You might want to stick to buying it on an issue-by-issue basis, or get the old issues from your friend. Save your subscription money for something else.
1616 comments|279 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2008
Maxim rode the men's magazine gold rush in the late 1990s, leading Stuff, FHM and a host of other PG-13 fare that filled the convenience store racks as Playboy, Penthouse and the hard cores were either dropped completely or were tucked behind the clerk hidden behind individual black plastic wrappers.

Maxim is the last Laddie still in print in the U.S., having witnessed the print burials for FHM (1996 to 2007) and Stuff (1998 to 2007). Maxim's putrefaction is evident to its subscribers, hence the heavily discounted subscriber rates available today. If you were unfortunate enough to receive a gift subscription to Maxim or, worse yet, bought one for yourself, you can no doubt bear witness to the decay. The magazine simply isn't interesting or compelling to read. You could find more of everything - women, entertainment, food and fashion - in a 10-minute Google search.

Ask yourself, why are you buying a men's magazine?

Want to admire beautiful women? Choose Playboy or Penthouse.

Want to stay healthy and fit? Choose Men's Health (preferred) or Men's Fitness (for younger audiences).

Want to peruse fashion and lifestyle? Choose Esquire or GQ (beware the cologne samples though).

Want a little of everything? Choose Details or Men's Journal.

Pick any of the above options, especially if you are buying a gift subscription. Just avoid Maxim.
33 comments|172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2006
I've been a loyal subscriber since 1998 and have always enjoyed the magazine. Something happened to them in early 2006 - they've either been bought or have hired a new editor / staff or something. This magazine is absolutely terrible now. All ads, fewer and fewer pictures of babes in each issue, and the hilarious articles are now long gone. My last two issues (Sept and Oct) were in the trash within minutes of pulling them from my mailbox. I'm canceling my subscription.
on September 7, 2015
Cover page speaks for the whole issues. Over half the pages have only men in them. So the whole did they say beautiful women thing is bull $??? Compared to 18 pages with only women. I ordered Sept issue which had 173 Pages. So, if a was a homosexual I would be more likely to like this issue. Can't speak for the rest of the issues seeing as how I only purchase one issue to see what it was like. Glad I did because I don't need a years worth of magazines full of male models. I would rather watch zoolander for that. Which by the way i think is a very funny movie. If your gonna buy anyhow, i would recommend buying one issue first to see if you like it.
review image
on April 18, 2006
Once upon a time this was a good magazine worth reading cover to cover. Unfortunately they've slowly been replacing content with more and more advertising. As the magazine currently stands you could probably finish reading the actual "content" in about an hour. The rest is advertising and BS. This magazine jumped the shark a long long time ago. Just let it die already like it's supposed to.
on November 16, 2003
I thought the original goal of Maxim was the be the next GQ, but with more skin and less pretense. The skin is there (and, no, guys don't care about the software editors use to enhance the models), but the substance is not.
Like every other checkout stand mag, ads now fill the lion's share of Maxim's pages. Reviews are more and more insipid, covering things many men probably don't care about. The humor is still respectable for the crowd it's aimed at.
I guess Maxim is the magazine for guys who can't read.... or need a hipper supplement to whatever nude mags litter their desks. Bottom line: if you want a skin mag, go with Maxim, but be aware that the level of wit and intelligence is declining all around.
on December 28, 2011
It's just like reading the magazine. Pages can be viewed one page at a time in portrait view and two pages at a time in landscape view. You can also zoom in to read or look at pictures.

The subscription price is also a great deal. If you read Maxim and got a Kindle Fire, I recommend this highly.
on October 22, 2015
This went from my favorite to horrible in a nanosecond. They removed the humor, useful & fun how-tos, and women. Replaced it with men's fashion ( really? I need your advice on how to spend $300 on a pair of jeans?) and packed with ads and dead serious articles. No more jokes, Q & A, car reviews( unless they cost $250,000 or more). Really, what is your target demographic? Millionaire metrosexuals? Women? They already have most of the magazines on the newsstand. They didn't need this one, and I doubt if they'll buy it.
Goodbye, old friend. We had a good run, but it's time to be put to sleep. I'll push the button, if you don't have the courage to do it.
And no, I didn't get anything for free, in return for this review!
on October 14, 2015
Maxim. What can you say? Woman editor, woman sensibility...very boring. Do not subscribe. This used to be such a fun tongue in cheek magazine! Now? It's aching to be some GQ Junior. Ads for days as well. I'm guessing that these advertisers will jump ship sooner than later, so the ads will soon start to lessen, the woman editor will see the light and try to save this mag by 'returning to its roots', but it will be to late. Idiot even put a guy on the cover to mark her territory like a dog! Good riddance Maxim, it was nice knowing you, when you were really you.
on May 27, 2003
i've bought a few copies of this magazine, but none in over a year. maxim is chock full of repetitive sex stories and media-savvy "babes" that conveniently pose at the same time their new CDs or movies are about to come out. a typical issue is 175 pages of advertising (counting those airbrushed pictorials) and maybe 25 pages of actual content, most of which is either recycled from previous maxims or adapted from other magazines.
i find it hilarious that the same "manly man" guys who make fun of oprah-watching females buy this magazine and claim it the greatest thing on the newsstand, when it's really just the same shallow junk as any housewife-friendly talk show. it's not that i hate this magazine, i just think it's really really lame.
66 comments|195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse