Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing

on June 24, 2012
If you are going for a gaming processor then go with the i5 of either Sandy Bridge or the new Ivy Bridge. This processor did not increase my gaming performance but it did increase overall computer performance. For the money I think you should get the i5 and save that $100 to spend on an SSD or a better graphics card because a graphics card will make a HUGE difference for $100 than a processor. However, if you are going to use your computer for Compressing, video encoding, audio encoding, video editing, or anything else that is VERY CPU INTENSIVE, then this processor will handle it perfectly.
on July 7, 2012
The 2700-series is an essential part of a professional photographer's workflow pipeline. The i5(2500) is just fine and can perform real time editing in Photoshop and Lightroom. Don't pay more if you're already in real time which is basically anything that is just 2 or 3-dimensional and timeless: pictures, business cards, logos.

However, the i7(2700) has hyper-treading and is better suited when working with heavy 4-dimensional projects with the 4th dimension being time as in HD video editing and commercial database recordings.

In such a heavy scenario, the CPU could be working 100% for hours if not 24/7 and that is where we separate the 2700 from the 2700K, they have the same performance but the 2700K has more tolerance for extreme drawn out loads. That is why you'll find the 2700K in Hollywood workstations like Apple Towers and HP Z-series rendering scenes for the next featured movie where just a few seconds of a movie takes days if not weeks to render.

Wait you say... Apple Towers and HP Z-series workstations use Xeon cpu's not 2700K. Right and wrong. 2700's are actually handicapped Xeons. When Intel makes a cpu by etching billions of transistors onto a silicon wafer its inevitable that some are great CPU's and some junk CPU's. They get sorted out unto different bins. The most perfect CPU's are put in the Xeon bin and are shipped to companies who make computers for mission-critical businesses such as banks, government agencies, Hollywood, etc.

Most of the real estate in a CPU is dedicated to cache so lots of transistor faults are in the cache area. While a fault in a core part of a CPU requires the entire CPU be scrapped, Intel can still sell a CPU with a fault in the cache part by disabling it. In an over generalized way, that is 1/2 of how we get the different cpu bins: Xeon, i7, i5, and i3. The more cache that has to be disabled, the lower it has to be binned because each CPU core needs a certain amount of cache.

The other 1/2 and the saving grace to a CPU that would otherwise be binned down is if it has great tolerance to heat/electricity. The better formed a CPU's transistors, the higher electrical frequency it can tolerate. Although it is rare, a CPU can become a Xeon just by having great tolerance. That's why you'll sometimes see Xeons with only 2cores and 3MB of cache.

This brings us back to the 2700K. The 2700 is an i7 meaning that 100% of its cache (8MB) formed properly compared to 80% in an i5 (6MB). The i7 also has greater tolerance, its core and graphics clock can reliably cycle 100MHz and 250MHz higher then an i5 respectively. Additionally, the K designation in the 2700K means it is capable of even higher tolerance. This doesn't mean it'll performs faster, it just means its more likely to maintain a 100% 24/7 load. That's why most will never see this gain as most don't need a CPU that can handle a 100% 24/7 load.

Cons: Why bother getting a Xeon when 2700K is the bee's knees? Easy, Intel disabled ECC memory. When electronic ones and zeroes fly in and out of your CPU to RAM, it's proven that radiation from everyday things like the sun or kitchen microwave sometimes flip these values from one to zero and from zero to one. 99.99% of the time this is harmless and ignored. However, as you scale up your computer with more memory, more video cards, and more complex computational loads running 24/7, the more chance of those errors going from just giving out wrong computations to being critical to the point of a crash. ECC memory won't totally prevent that scenario but makes it more unlikely. That is why all Mac Towers and HP Z-series workstations use ECC exclusively.

In short, Xeon is the most reliable way to go and dare I say 2700K's are actually surplus repacked Xeons that may handicapped from working with high-end workstations but it still maintain its tolerance and cache prowess. Best of all, with the 2700K Intel targeted the consumer's wallet instead of corporate/Hollywood's wallet. Thanks for reading. GUIDENG-The Picture Co.
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2012
This CPU provides exceptional performance in overclocking and stability. Easily OC's to 4.9 GHZ on merely 1.42 volts, using 16GB of ram with a thermalright silver arrow fan. This CPU has the horsepower to push dual crossfire 6990's. No BSOD's of any kind have been experienced, even after Prime 95 torture tests. Highly recommended.
on April 19, 2012
My last chip, the 2600k was having issues. It ran too hot (with watercooling), required too many volts, and was a tad unstable. It could have been kept, but I felt uncomfortale sticking with a chip that failed Prime95.

So I took a chance and ordered the 2700k hoping they binned 2600k's for 2700k or that the fab process had gotten a little better and would increase the tolerances on these chips. I was delighted to see, with minimal effort overclocking and no voltage tuning (outside auto) I was able to boot into 5.2 GHz. I'm now running at 5.1 GHZ with 4x4 16 Gig of RAM @1866 (very hard on the IMC controller) and is Prime95 stable. It was a risk, as I could have gotten a truly terrible replacement chip from the edge of the silicon wafer which would have meant stock speeds and not much more. So I'm thrilled I spent the extra money and how this turned out.
on April 24, 2012
Being an avid gamer and into editing video, I needed something fast that would last me a long time into the future. After looking into this chip, I decided to purchase it. I was greatly surprised at how FAST this puppy runs. I can truly say that, I don't plan on buying another CPU for at least 3 years. It can be easily overclocked, I have not encountered any BSOD's with it and it is amazingly fast. If you want a beast of a processor that will last you for years to come, the i7-2700K is worth every dollar imaginable.
on May 2, 2012
I purchased a 2700K and use it as the meat layer in my latest computer sandwich, between some Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 and an Antec Kuehler 620 (the cooling portion connected to 2 stacked fans similar to the H80 setup) in an Antec 302 case with a few SilenX 120mm fans at different places in the case. Since the cooling is very silent and effective, I was able to overclock my 2700K to 4.9GHz with a reasonable 1.435v speed/voltage trade-off and very little noise produced by the fans. (One could probably push this one to 5.1 GHz with brute voltage force but it wasn't worth the trade-off for me).
The results are impressive. In the past, when running 18MPixel CR2 (RAW) to JPEG conversion on the notoriously slow but good DxO Optics Pro 7, I used to get 1 frame per minute throughput on an otherwise fast Intel Core2Duo laptop before (and one frame every 10-15 seconds with Lightroom 3). Now, with the 2700K and making use of its 8-thread hyper-thereaded architecture, I am getting one DxO-converted frame every 6 seconds (and one lightroom frame every 1-2 seconds) :-)! So this CPU, when confronted with the elements and pushed a bit, can deliver stunning performance.

Therefore I find this CPU (and the other i7's) a great match for computers built for photo and video editing, as the hyperthreading architecture really shows its best in such environments. 5 Stars.

If I had built the rig for gaming, I'd probably pick an i5 instead and put the extra money into the GPU, since most games are running single-threaded for the heavy part.

Of course, I had to push the setup even further by adding an AsusTek HD 6850 GPU to the mix (some of the best computing power values it seems, especially if you build a low-noise setup). Now even DxO, making use of OpenCL and utilizing both CPU and GPU, spits out one frame every 2.5-3 seconds :-)

Btw, for CPU-to-CPU reviews, I also found the passmark site helpful for my pick.

UPDATE after 6 weeks. I since changed the overclocking settings from 4.9 to 4.8 GHz, to avoid occasional crashes with the 1.435VCore I use. Since then (and after re-timing my ill-advertised RAM to 10-10-10-28, see my Komputerbay 2x8GB 9-9-9-24 review), the machine runs-rock solid. 4.9 GHz would apparently need a bit more voltage than 1.435VCore on my sample.
Keeping it at 5 stars.
on November 23, 2012
Pros: Man, this thing absolutely SCREAMS! I decided to push it last night, and I ended up being able to transcode SIX 1080p videos (!!!) simultaneously in real time. Each video was about two hours long, all six were done encodiing after an hour. While all this was working, I was seamlessly browsing the web, even watching flash videos without any stutter. The fact that there was no stutter even at ~90% utilization really says sometthhing about the quality of this processor. The fact that I didn't hit this processors' ceiling with all this is simply jaw dropping.

And did I mention I'm running with the stock cooler without any overclocking?

Cons: Only thing I can think of is the price.

Other Thoughts: Although this component was a little expensive, I managed to build this computer for less than $700. The fact that you can get something this powerful for less than $700 is, again, simply astonishing. I honestly can't see buying another computer for at least the next 5 years.
on August 1, 2014
It doesn't get better than this. I was looking for a processor that could handle an extreme amount of processing while ripping my blu ray collection. This thing does the trick. Sure i could have probably got something with some more power, but I did not want to buy a new mother board for my computer. This one fits the 1155 socket and works well. Normal processing it will run at about 38 degrees C. this is when I am streaming, or watching a movie from the computer. When Ripping it goes up to about 68 degrees, and 100% use. But, it does rip entire blurays in about an hour.

I could probably get better performance from it if i decided to over clock it, which I have seen this on get as high as 4.7 GHz, but I just don't trust a $400 CPU to run that high, I am hoping it will last me a long time.
on December 9, 2012
I could have gone with just a i5 for gaming and been just fine but I spend the bit extra for the i7 for whenever I need to get things done that are more CPU intensive. My i7 OC'd to 4.4 without even batting an eyelash.
on December 24, 2012
Nothing I can do can stress this processor. It just takes it, smiles, and asks for more.

I know it's a K-series, but I don't overclock. 1) No bios support for my system, and 2) I don't like the idea behind overclocking...is it really worth it to risk stability for a fraction more performance? Not for me.

Installed into a Shuttle SH67H3, wish it could run cooler, but, overall not bad.

This CPU, paired with an SSD, and 32GB RAM...awesome!