Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on December 16, 2011
No way to close the app other than to force close it and required Facebook integration. Sorry but no thank you. I don't have a Facebook account and I don't like the idea of a game running in the background using resources if I'm not playing it. And that's a bit of a bummer because it was fun to play. The game is solid and fun, but from a development point of view it seems unfinished at best. If these kinds of things don't bother you then give it a go, I bet you'll like it.

3 stars for the game itself being fun, but needs further development IMO.
on December 16, 2011
For a word game, it's not bad. It installs and runs smoothly (no crashes). There are three modes of play for variety (and a challenge mode, if you have a facebook account).

The one thing that really bugs me about this app, however, is the lack of a way to quit the game. The funniest thing is that the back-key quit comes free--it's already part of the UI thread (the part of the program that puts stuff on the screen). They had to add programming to deactivate it. In the onPause() method, they could have simply checked isFinishing(), then do any cleanup needed before closing the app. But no. Adding a menu button would have been almost as simple. All apps should have a way to quit, other than having the user manually force closing it themselves.
"Bird's the Word" installed fine on my Kindle Fire. The game itself is another variant of the classic "Bookworm," which I've played many times on my PC and iPad. It also reminds me of another Android word game, "Dabble."

I tried each play mode - Classic, Timed, and Word Worm. What I disliked most was that each mode is timed with a countdown clock (the game ends when the clock reaches zero). You can pause the timer, but the dropdown box that opens covers almost the whole screen, so it doesn't help you to come up with words. If you enjoy the pressure of timed games, you may like "Bird's the Word," but I prefer word games where I can take my time and come up with the best word I can make, without a clock running down. I did not play the Challenge mode, where you connect with Facebook friends.

Two other issues:
1. The Kindle Fire's back arrow has been disabled by the app. The only way to close the app is to press the Home icon.
2. It appears that the app continues running, or at least stays loaded, even after turning the Kindle Fire off.

If the developer will address these issues and will offer an untimed version, I would give the app 3 or 4 stars, but as it is, I'm just deleting it.
on December 16, 2011
I was SO fully prepared to give this a decent rating. I played SEVERAL rounds, actually, not just a few. I initially had no problems playing the Classic, Timed, AND Word Worm levels. Be aware that BEFORE I even played this game, I used TASK KILLER to close almost everything unecessary to have the most memory available to play this game and give it a fighting chance, as well as used a fresh, full battery. All was good.... Then I said to myself, "hmmm... I've only been playing this for about 20 minutes, let's give it more time..." and I'm glad I did. First, I tried to EXIT. Backspace did NOTHING....just continued to stay at the home screen and spout out the music. Then I went back to the games, played some more, then used the right-hand button to go back to the home screen to try to exit.... NOTHING. I clicked my PHONE'S Home button, got there, and used TASK KILLER AGAIN to close this app. THIS IS WHAT THE DEVELOPER HAD IN MIND FOR USERS TO CLOSE THE APP? If you are currently having no problems after just a short amount of gameplay, do yourself a favor and trying playing this app for an hour or so to make sure it doesn't fizzle out after semi-extended gameplay.

Ok... I reboot, and try again. THIS TIME I played 2 or 3 short games, and in the middle of selecting a word, it FREEZES UP COMPLETELY just like everyone else here is reporting. This time, NOTHING would get me back to my phone's HOME SCREEN. So I do a battery pull, and reboot. NOW I notice my phone is completely dim, so I check the battery level.... ALMOST ZERO PERCENT. This app, in less than an hour, SUCKED THE ENTIRE FRESH, NEWLY CHARGED BATTERY in record time, more than I have ever seen any app do ever before.

VERDICT: This app had such GOOD POTENTIAL and was semi-fun to play, but the actual game play was COMPLETELY RUINED by a developer who pushed this app out so prematurely without any refinements at all that it's just...well... unplayable. And if you can't even play it without it assaulting your phone, it has no worth. And no worth equals one star, sorry. This developer is going to have to make a LOT OF CHANGES before this app is usable by the majority of the population and post these changes on the app description before it has a chance of resurrecting itself from the smoldering ashes of one-star reviews. As for ME, I'll keep it WAY on the back burner and perhaps dust it off and replay it if I see the developer is sincere in trying to improve playability of this app. If not, it's HISTORY.
on December 16, 2011
Downloads & runs fine on HTC Incredible running 2.3.4. Gameplay is smooth. It it a fun game. I deducted 1 star because there is no way to exit the game save hitting the home button. You would figure that hitting the back button would suffice, but sadly it doesn't. Other than that, I find nothing wrong with this app.
on April 29, 2012
I'm a HUGE fan word games, I think I try them all. The graphics on this game are good, it's very pretty. Honestly I can't say if it freezes up or not because I played it half a dozen times and deleted it. It's good if you want something pretty, something (pardon the pun) flighty. If you are looking for a challenging word game... this isn't it.
on December 16, 2011
I love word games so I tried this one. Cute game, somewhat original idea. The game is somewhat sluggish which isn't good for a timed game. But the real problem is on about the third level the screen stops responding so you can't play, but the timer keeps running. Had to force close.
It has a classic and a timed mode, but even classic has a timer, so I don't get that.
Installed. Droid 2.
I love word games and this one is pretty good. It offers three play modes. They are Classic, Timed and Word Worm and they are all fun. One improvement should be the addition of a way to play and not be against the clock. Sometimes I like to play word games but there are distractions like the phone or someone asking you a question. I hate it when your game times out while you are doing something else. I know there is a pause button but I don't always like playing against the clock (a game for fun and not stress). Please add an endless play mode and let us turn off the clock.

The other issue is that there is no way that I could find to exit the game without pressing the home button, closing out the game completely and losing your place in the game. You need a game stop button that will give you the choice to return you to your previously unfinished game or start a new one when you restart. Overall I enjoyed playing and the graphics are cute.

I think adding these two modifications would make it more fun. I deducted one star because of these shortcomings.
on December 16, 2011
i like this and think it has a lot of potential. the gameplay isn't totally novel, but it's different enough from the other word games on my phone. the birds are a nice touch. graphics are good.

BUT i've had issues with crashing and freezing. though the last time i tried i had no problems. minus one star for issues here.

also, there's no way set up to exit the game. and there's no way to save a game in progress. minus another star here.

so, i think with some additional effort, this could be a 5 star game.

it isn't there yet though.
still, i reccomend it for people who really like word games.
on December 18, 2011
It is stable and runs great on my HTC EVO.

The only problem I have is that it only saves my place some of the time. I play a few levels, then I usually have other things that need done. Whether it be a phone call or just the fact that I may not be able to sit down long enough to finish the game, I'd like to be able to continue the game.

Improvements I'd suggest:
-make saving stable
-make an untimed mode
-utilize the back button

Overall, it's a great game with a lot of potential.