Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes

on December 8, 2011
I bought one of these Crock Pots locally about a month ago. I brought it home and washed the stoneware insert thoroughly, and then made a pot roast with vegetables. It made the house smell great during cooking, and my family commented on how tender the meat was. Unfortunately, everyone noticed a slight "plastic" taste to the food. I was surprised and disappointed since I made sure to thoroughly wash the insert in hot water. I chalked it up to the fact that I was using it for the first time. Well, after six separate meals with thorough washing in between, each and every meal has had this plastic taste to it, no matter what I made. I have to assume that the black paint on the stoneware insert is somehow leeching into the food. I contacted Crock Pot at their website and sent them a message describing my dilemma and they responded by apologizing and offering to send me a new unit, free of charge. Now that is what I call customer service! I haven't received the new unit yet but when I do I will wash it and then make another meal and cross my fingers that the food doesn't taste like plastic. As an aside, my friend has the exact same model purchased a few weeks before mine and he has had no problems with his. I will update this review after I cook my first meal in the replacement unit once it arrives.

Edit: I received my new Crock Pot a few days after I wrote the above review. I washed it thoroughly and made another pot roast with vegetables the following day. This one cooks perfectly and with no plastic taste. The embossed lettering on the bottom of the new stoneware insert is stamped nice and clear. On the old one the letters were sort of unclear like there wasn't enough pressure during the stamping process. Maybe there was a manufacturing issue that caused the old one to leech that plastic taste into the food. Whatever the reason, this one is perfect and I am very satisfied with this product and truly impressed with Crock Pot's customer service.
on August 14, 2012
Wow. I will totally support this company. My old crock pot lost one of the black "feet" and it wobbled. I called for a replacement foot. They didn't have one so they sent me this model at no cost. I am thrilled and love companies that stand behind their products. Awesome!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2012
Though Crock pot is programmable there is only 4 options for time 2,4,6,or 8 hrs. You cannot program for odd number hours and cannot program the High or low settings. If time is short then cooker is on High setting and if 6 or 8 hrs are picked then cooker is on Low. Also does not seem to go to warm automatically which was a nice option in my previous cooker. Lid is attach well and does not leak during transport as it has a rubber gasket.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2013
When using my new crockpot to serve my tomato sauce and meatballs warm at a volleyball tournament fundraiser, I noticed that on the keep warm setting the sauce was boiling. I had to rely on unplugging it and plugging it back in. The other 5 slow cookers there all worked fine.
I tested the crock pot at home, filling it to 3/4 full of water, getting it to 150 degrees on high, and then switching it to keep warm. 2-3 hours later it was 211 degrees!
I called crock pot, they said the design temperature for keep warm was 175 degrees and they sent me a replacement, Same problem. Sent me a third slow cooker, same problem (actually 215 degrees this time).
I called them again, had a long conversation with a rep that said they had to redesign the product to raise the temperatures to satisfy the FDA. She acknowledged that if they sent me more crockpots they were likely to have the same problem. And a higher end version would likely be the same.
Of course the only reason i bought this was that Americas test kitchen rated a sister product as the highest due to its ability to stay on temperature, and the product does exactly the opposite now...
This review was based on a similar model, however crockpot agreed the problem was likely to be seen in all its models so I hope it will be helpful if I post it here also
This product may work fine for you if you are not using or relying on the keep warm setting, but if you are, I recommend finding an old one somewhere.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2013
Although this advertises itself to be programmable, the only "programs" available or low or high. I was looking for programmable as to hours, i.e., 4 on high, then 2 on low, etc. Very disappointed!! I'm gone every day from 9 hours and really needed to actually program a slow cooker.
on August 26, 2012
I love my crock pot but better yet was the customer service by Crock Pot. My liner was cracked and they replaced it within one week. Thanks Crock Pot!
on July 12, 2014
I picked this up at Target....(sorry Amazon,) mine is black however. My first crock-pot as it seems my girl friends have been the ones who owned these over the years.

My first dish was a pot roast and I used the high setting for 4 hours due to time constraints. It came out pretty good, though I was surprised to see the water simmering. The veggies came out way too done. I started to wonder if it was running too hot. A quick search through the reviews revealed that many people consider these crock-pots to run too hot.

So I decided to run a test. I filled the crock-pot halfway full with cold water and set it on low for 8 hours and recorded the temp every 30 minutes. Here are the results: 30 min: 95*F, 1 hr: 117*F, 1.5hr: 130*F, 2hr: 142*F, 2.5hr: 158*F, 3hr: 170*F, 3.5hr: 178*F, 4hr: 181*F, 4.5hr: 188*F, 5hr: 190*F, 5.5hr: 192*F, 6hr: 195*F, 6.5hr: 195*F....and that's where I stopped as it seemed to level out. Over 190*F is what America's Test Kitchen and others seem to agree on for tender meat without overcooking. I then ran it on high for 4 hours and measured the water temp at the end...below 210*F (I forgot to write it down, but it was not boiling.)

So in conclusion...I guess I didn't have enough liquid in with my pot roast. The build quality of these is nice. I like the lid with the rubber gasket around it. I will just have to remember to use plenty of liquid in my slow cooking recipes.

I hope this helps someone. I was about to go buy an old one off of ebay after reading about how all new slow cookers were designed to cook hotter due to less risk of bacteria.

My only gripes are the cord is pretty short and the side handles feel pretty flimsy.
on September 14, 2012
this is a fantastic appliance, it does every thing it says and then some. temperature control is excellent, extremely easy to use, I have been thinking about buying this for several years and now wish I had bought it several years ago. you can't go wrong with this item, it makes cooking so much easier.
on August 12, 2014
The new batch of Crock-Pot slow cookers is definitely defective. We bought this one to replace the same model series from a couple years ago because we broke the ceramic bowl. The new series has some faulty wiring somewhere because it cooks way too hot. Do not buy this product until Crock-Pot figures out the problem and fixes it. Fortunately, we still have our old one and are just going to keep the ceramic bowl since it fits nicely in the old Crock-Pot.
on March 16, 2014
When it switches to warm, it heats up more and boils the food at a rolling boil. Not safe to leave unattended. Unfortunately, discovered this 3 days after the allowable return date so I am stuck with it.