Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

on March 29, 2012
I have a love/hate relationship with TOH. I love finding and trying new recipes, but I hate the layout of the magazine since they changed it. It seems like there is mainly advertisments in the magazine now. The magazine looks great on my Kindle Fire, and I really enjoy the fact that it shows up automatically when there is a new issue. However, I wish there was a way to highlight or bookmark recipes I want to try. I currently have 6 issues on my Kindle, and it's a pain trying to remember which issue I saw the recipe in and then looking through all the pages to find it. (I do like the quick page view - it helps some with that problem) I do love the fact that those six issues aren't laying around cluttering my cookbook shelf. Overall I like the kindle edition, but it would be 5 star with less advertisments, and ability to bookmark or highlight recipes for easy access!

**update 4/11/12 - I am removing one star because I am not able to print copies of recipes from their website or save them to my recipe box. I tried several recipes that were in the current magazine and it tells me they are for subscribers only. So I contacted customer service and they said that since I get the Kindle edition I don't have access to the recipes. Really?? I am still subscribing to their magazine! Why does it matter that it's a digital edition instead of print?? That is VERY disappointing
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2012
I found out that this subscription does not qualify you for using the "subscriber only" recipes online. There should be no difference in a subscriber to Taste of Home whether it is online or a paper copy. Not only is this poor business, it is also environmentally unfriendly. I have since cancelled my subscription.
on December 20, 2011
I've been a long-time fan of Taste of Home in it's physical print form. It's filled with great receipts -- you know, REAL food you would actually cook and serve your family -- with very few ads and fantastic eye-candy photos. I hesitated to get the Kindle version, but it looks fantastic on the Kindle Fire and is extremely easy to zoom in and read. It works great on the K3 as well, although not as visually stunning, of course. For a buck an issue, it is well worth the money.
on May 31, 2012
I really like Taste of Home in the magazine form, but was very disappointed in the form as it showed on my Kindle Fire. The pictures were too small to be easily seen and if I changed it to read the articles there were no pictures. Also I like to copy the recipes and the Kindle Fire can not print.
on May 10, 2013
Okay, I subscribed to TOH magazine for years and years...until my bookcases cannot fit another book. I wanted to go ahead and get the Kindle version so that I have no more clutter but, come to find out that the "online recipes" are not available when subscribing the Kindle version only. Bye bye Taste of Home. Nice knowing you! Hello All Recipes!!
on May 28, 2013
This is a review of the application for TOH magazine, not the magazine or its contents. To be quite honest, if you are intending to subscribe to this magazine then in all likelihood you already know the content of the magazine.

You're billed at $1.00 per month which is half of the newsstand pricing without the hassles of forgetting to pick up a copy at the register while trying to keep the little one's fingers away from all the candy bars. It shows up on your Kindle automatically (assuming of course it has an internet connection) in your carousel. Can it get any easier than that? You get every single page of the magazine. Nothing more, nothing less. No extra ads, no ripped pages, no blurred out pages from a bad printing run. Although you are not eligible to access the TOH website at this time, you won't need to.

Just place the Kindle where you can read the recipe you want to use when cooking and away you go. I think 6 or 7 past issues (that's a years worth) are saved automatically on your Kindle, you can gain access to older issues in your subscription through the cloud I believe, but I have not had my subscription long enough to confirm this. Flipping through the pages can be down several ways, either by sliding or "flipping", which is personally my favorite cause you can actually see the front and back of the pages as you flip them, giving you that physical feel to your magazine.

You can zoom into any section you want, any photo, and you can switch the text to "text only" format if you find the printed text colors clash with the page color, or you suffer from color blindness issues. If you hold your stylus or finger down on a spot on the page, a small magnifying box pops up, making it handy if you wanted to look at something closer without bothering to isolate the article. You are able to save bookmarked pages for future use of recipes or keep track where you left off.

Possibly one the best features that I discovered was the search function. Type in "pasta chicken and..." and poof, up pops your possible answers. OMG does that make finding that dish with the such-n-such in the recipe so easy. Who needs to print out the recipes anymore? Isn't that what a Kindle is for anyway? To save on paper right? So don't print it out, just pull up the recipe on your Kindle and enlarge it.

It is my wife that enjoys trying new food and flavors so that is the only reason this magazine was subscribed to. As for the application, I found it to be one I would love to see all magazines use in the future. As I mentioned earlier, the content of the magazine changes from issue to issue, so I was not reviewing the magazine. This review is for the application only. And I can't speak highly enough of the application. The developers of this app have surpassed any expectation or possible desire I might have wanted to see in a magazine app. If TOH is a magazine you enjoy, then you'll find this application quite easy to use and only enhance your enjoyment that you get from the magazine and it's food.

(PS - "The Amazon Verified Purchased" designation is not included for some reason on my review. Possibly because I did not write the review through the Amazon Books on my Kindle but instead I used a PC for typing ease, take my word for it, I bought it)
on May 19, 2013
I have been a subscriber since the early 90s. I hate the new magazine format. The recipes are aren't the down home comfortable recipes I fell in love with. There are too many ads now. They seem to be trying to attract more "foodie" types, and not just everyday men and women. So sad.
on November 25, 2012
Love this magazine. It is always filled with great recipes. My only disappointment with it is that I got the kindle edition and I can't print the recipes, which makes it tough when you actuallly want to cook any of them.
on May 30, 2012
I have always LOVED this magazine! The pictures are great. When I finish one of the recipes, my product usually looks identical to the pics in the mag. Recipes are beautiful, tasty, interesting and very helpful.
on March 13, 2013
I have subscribed to "Taste of Home" over the years and always so much enjoyed and always pass along to friends and family. So happy I can order issue by issue on my Kindle when I am home from traveling.