Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on February 18, 2012
I bought this for the singles Somebody I Used to Know and Easy Way Out. Those songs are great, but I was pleased when I found that the rest of the disc is an absolute treasure. In fact, I think every track is fantastic, save for perhaps the brief opener. I'm shocked at how good each song is, and equally shocked to read a review on here that says something along the lines of each song sounding the same. I don't think that could be further from the truth! Gotye skips genres or at least influences from one song to the next. Easy Way Out reminds me of a Beck jam, Somebody that I Used to Know could be any one of a great many songwriters. The lyrics are pure and honest, production is sparse at first... and grows as the song progresses with a powerhouse vocal performance on the choruses. Equally powerful vocals on the next track, Eyes Wide Open, which reminds me possibly of Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music. The next, Smoke & Mirrors, is admittedly my probably least favorite on the disc, but is still worth a listen. The next two tracks take a very positive and upbeat turn. I Feel Better sounds like Motown at it's best/happiest with it's synthesized horns and vocals in the vein of Smokey Robinson. In Your Light is equally ebullient with horns and a lively vocal and peppy keyboards. After that, State of the Art is a hilarious track with astounding production that reminds me of Ween's very best work. The next (Don't Worry... We'll Be Watching) is a spare electronica track with a gorgeous creeping bassline and foggy electric sounds behind. The last 3 tracks all have a beautiful melancholy to them but all have their own flow. The closer Bronte is a beautifully emotional piece indicative of what Gotye seems best at - taking a somewhat simple or typical subject and creating a gorgeous piece of music out of. He takes the simplest, most basic building blocks of a song and places them at the core of the music, weaving simply effective layers around those. This disc is an example of mastering that craft. It's the best record I think I've heard in the last year or more. Truly a great piece of work. Listen to it with headphones and pay attention. You will be greatly rewarded.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2012
If you are looking at this album because you like "Somebody that I used to Know" then you should check out "Like Drawing Blood," Gotye's first album. While Making Mirrors is good, it doesn't have the same cohesiveness that Like Drawing Blood has. There are more songs with that sound, similar to Somebody that I used to know, on Like Drawing Blood (Heart's a Mess and Coming back are my favorites). That said if you are a fan of Gotye you'll like this album.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Gotye (pronounced: go-ti-yay) is the stage moniker of Belgium-born Wally de Backer, who moved to Australia at a young age and it is there that he built his musical career. Gotye has been at it for a number of years as part of the Aussie band the Basics but also issuing several solo albums: in 2003 there was "Boardface" and in 2006 "Like Drawing Blood" (remixed the next year as "Mixed Blood"). Now after a 5 year absence comes the new album. If you're not familiar with the sound of Gotye, the best comparison I can think of would be a strangely appealing mix of Beck, George Michael and Seal, if you can believe that.

"Making Mirrors" (originally released in August, 2011; 12 tracks; 42 min.) starts off with the 1 min. appetizer that is the title track, only then then dive into "Easy Way Out". The third track is "Somebody That I Used to Know", a duet with New Zealand singer Kimbra, and the single that has propelled this album out of obscurity last year into a megahit in Australia and Europe (check out also the video of this song, not to be missed!). "Smoke and Mirrors" is an irresitable stomper. "I Feel Better" sounds like Motown-revisted. "Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You" is a reggae tune. The musical flavors are all over on this album, and as a result this is a very diverse-sounding and immensly enjoyable Gotye album.

This album was released outside the US last August. I picked up the physical CD on a recent home visit to Belgium, where the album remains a top seller 5 months after its release. While the album has been available as an import here on Amazon, the album is finally getting a proper release in the US in early 2012. It's not too late to jump on the Gotye band wagon! His upcoming US tour is already sold out in most venues. Meanwhile "Making Mirrors" is highly recommended!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2011
Belgian-Aussie artist Gotye (Wally de Backer) delivers a great art-pop album in the form of Making Mirrors. If you like your music original, interesting, with killer hooks and an arty slant then this is for you. Standout track, Someone That I Used to Know has just become the biggest selling Australian record since Savage Garden's Truly Madly Deeply in 1995. You won't regret this album, you'll wear it out.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 7, 2012
My introduction to Gotye was though a friend's recommendation, and I absolutely love the album. By now, you might know the smash single "Someone That I Used To Know", a lilting shuffle (with Kimbra adding her breathy vocals) that manages to incorporate "Baa Baa Black Sheep" chimes into the melody. An absolute killer! Well, there's loads more to love.

Gotye sounds in turn like Sting or Peter Gabriel, and the album features a diverse array of sound, from the opening brief Prog Rocky intro "Making Mirrors", to the brief Alt Rocker "Easy Way Out", the galloping "Eyes Wide Open", the dark and creepy "Smoke And Mirrors", the soulful Motown bounce of "I Feel Better", the horn-sprinkled moody Dub of "State Of The Art" (with deep distorted vocals), the spare atmospheric "Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You", to the closing hymnal ballad "Bronte", everything stands out.

This album is like nothing else on the charts. Highly recommended! Now I'm seeking out his other albums...
on February 15, 2012
"Making Mirrors," is a breath of fresh air for the intense musical lover. Influences abound to create a different style/sound for each track. Despite the differences; each track carefully flows into the other with smoothness and ease. Gotye is a master of addicting hooks and melodies. "Making Mirrors," is a tidal wave of resonanting sounds. I feel completely immersed while listening to each track. There is no way to, "box," this album, so don't try. It's genius all on it's own. I can't stop listening to it. I've had it on repeat, non stop since I bought it. I couldn't be more pleased! I just bought tickets to see him on April 2nd, and will be purchasing, "Like Drawing Blood," next!
on March 16, 2012
If anyone has heard Gotye's single "Somebody I Used to Know" and even sort of liked it, you should buy this album immediately. Unlike so many other artists, Gotye has made every single song unique. Each is listenable and different. As a person, he is amazing. He was quoted on the radio as saying he wanted to be a one-hit wonder; I can confidently say he won't be.
on March 8, 2012
Well, I love 80s music and hearing all the references to The Police, Peter Gabriel and other stand outs of decades past is incredibly fun for me. Gotye has a fabulous voice and loads of talent, his songs are all so different but not in a way that gives you whiplash. I can listen to this album from start to finish and then repeat it all again. My fav tracks: Easy Way Out, Eyes Wide Open, Smoke and Mirrors, Save Me, and of course Someone I Used to Know is still one of my favorites no matter how much I hear it. The man is gifted.
on February 22, 2012
Caught the video for "Somebody that I used to know" on VH1 and the tune completely grabbed me. Started watching other videos on youtube... great videos. Had to buy the album. Am loving the music. Reminiscient of Peter Gabriel and Steve Winwood in places, but with his own sound. Fresh sound and talented guy. LOVE this album
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2012
On a hunch of my love for 'Somebody I Used to Know' I purchased this entire album....and I was overly pleased. Gotye shows influences of everything from Daft Punk to Bob Marley to The Clash and everything in between. If you have an open mind about music, you will enjoy this entire record beginning to end...time and time again as I have over the last few days.