Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

Price:$264.95 - $324.99

on March 4, 2013
on November 13, 2013
This review is for the Marmot Limelight 3P 3-Season Backpacking Tent.

I wanted to get a few trips out with this tent before giving a review.

. 1) Pinchot Trail Lackawanna State Forest - (2 adults) 2 days 35° to 17° heavy wind gusts, light snow. (image posted below)
. 2) Musser Scout Reservation - (Solo) 2 days 45° - 60°
. 3) Palmyra cove Nature park - (My son 11 yr old and myself) 1 day 45° Heavy Rain.
. 4) Camp Delmont - (solo) 2 days 45° - 60°
. 5) Hickory Run State Park - (solo) 2 days 45° - 50°
. 6) Camp Grice Solo 2 days 25° - 40° used a Coleman Black Cat type heater and was toasty warm all weekend.
. 7) Ockanickon Scout Reservation solo 2 days 45° - 65° setup on wood platform.
. 8) Brendan T Byrne State Forest my son and another scout used the tent, 40°- 55° rained the entire weekend.

My build - 5' 9" 215 lbs.

I have no negative comments about this tent it has worked flawlessly and it is extremely easy to setup.
The tent is comfortable for two adults and there's a bit of room that you can place some clothes, boots and such.
The vestibule is OK for a 65 litre pack, and is nice to cook in, I store my pack in one side and cook in the other side.
I love this for solo (not for backpacking) camping as I can easily dress in the tent. I looked into the 2 person version but was afraid to take a chance because of the reviews on it being a leaker! UPDATE I have recently purchased two of the two person Limelight's one for my Brother and one for my son, after reading the reviews a little more thoroughly I felt that the two person was worth the chance at $160.00 a piece.

The 3p is bit heavy for Solo Backpacking at 6.5 lbs. but with 2 guys sharing the weight, it is a breeze. I don't mind the weight and have adjusted my pack accordingly for short hikes. I roll up my sleeping bag with the tent and stuff it in the lower compartment of my pack, the poles are attached to the side of the backpack.
The Marmot Limelight 3p tent comes with a footprint and everything is color coded to insure a fast and easy setup. The tent stakes are aluminum and do the job. However a good upgrade is the MSR Groundhog stakes, and if weight isn't an issue and you plan on camping in below freezing temps, I would suggest at least 2 heavy spike type stakes for the vestibule (I learned this the hard way on our canoe trip).

Doors are functional, zippers work well, a nice touch is the reflective areas of the tent (no stealth camping here).

I read every review on this tent before purchasing before I made my final decision
REI 's website has 85 reviews and here are the cons out of those 85 reviews

Heavy (13)
Condensation (7)
Too cramped (3)

My thoughts on the cons,

Heavy, hmmm. well let me say this: This is not for someone that is into ultralight backpacking, this tent is even a bit heavy for the light backpacker but the price reflects that. Plus the fact that it's a three person tent makes it a bad choice for a light backpacker. I don't mind the weight for short backpacking trips or my annual canoe trips as I like having a freestanding tent with room for 2 adults.
I like the added room because if you have some bad weather where you are stuck in the tent for any length of time, you can at least sit around and play cards or something to keep busy. It's also nice as this is fairly comfortable for two adults even with getting dressed in the morning, if you buddy up, you ca split the tent between the two of you and I'm sure you could get the weight fairly even so that would be about 3.5 lbs each!

Condensation, all of my trips I had 0 Condensation on the inside of the tent, only on the inside of the fly and that was only on the Pinchot Trip, I just wanted to make that clear as others just say they have condensation.

Too cramped, lets address that issue as well, pretty much anytime you buy a tent you always subtract a person from what the manufacturer states for example, a 3 man = 2 man, 4 man = 3 man, etc... This tent has more than enough room for two adults.

It's really a shame that folks give a lesser rating when the product is functioning as it should.

**UPDATE, just wanted to update this review,
. 9) Used this again late March 2014 on a canoe trip, Canoe Camping The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Tent was shared with my brother 6' 175 lbs
Tent perform flawlessly again. Temp averaged 25° - 35° wind gusts up to 25 MPH

Go to

for more pics on the tent on this trip
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2013
I got this tent to replace our trusty old tent of many years that decided to give out during a rainstorm. I'm very happy with the tent. This is actually the first time I have had fun putting a tent together. I have a feeling we will be using this tent even longer than our old trusty tent (R.I.P old blue).

Looks great
Puts together VERY EASILY
Very sturdy
Great storage

Slightly smaller than I was expecting, but that was my fault for thinking our old tent was a three person tent, or maybe it is time for me to lose weight!! A queen size air mattress just fits in the tent, leaving no room for anything else on the floor.

A year and a half later we still love this tent. This summer we went camping and took our newly adopted dog with us. Since he wasn't trained just yet I had to clip his leash to the tent pole so he could lay down in the tent while we set up our campsite. While doing this something (I have no idea what it was) made our dog decide to give chase. I turned my head and all I saw was our dog running full speed ahead with the tent flying behind him. We gave chase but were nowhere near as fast as him. About 200 yards away the tent got hung up on a tree and caused the pole to bend and the leash slipped off the pole. We managed to catch up with him shortly after and was dreading what shape the tent was going to be in when we got to it. There was not one single tear in the tent. The pole was bent a little and it was impossible for us to bend it back by hand. We were able to use it without any issues after that and when we got home I was able to bend the pole back into shape using tools. I don't know any other tents that could handle a 30 mph run through the woods and come out without any damage.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2014
I grew up camping, but now go more often with my son's Boy Scout Troop. I bought this tent based on other positive reviews, ease of setup, size and weight. I have to say this tent exceeded my expectations! Took only minutes to setup on my own the first time (although I did watch a video of the setup prior to purchase), included the footprint (I do add another groundcloth underneath it just to keep things tidy) and gear loft. I can easily sit upright inside this tent, although with more than 2 people it will be less comfortable. Overall this tent may be too heavy for a long backpacking trip, but that's the tradeoff for more space.

Our most recent campout included a couple of hours of heavy downpours and wind. This tent was bone dry inside, no issues whatsoever. Other tents at camp were not as strong as this one, and the winds made the other tents' rain flys touch the inner tent, causing water leaks inside. In the morning, several other adults on the trip checked out the inside of my tent, and marveled at how tidy the tent was after such a storm. Breakdown of the tent was just as easy as setup. Water sheds from the rainfly with just a shake, and it's ready to pack for storage. Love the light bronze color aluminum stakes, they are sturdy and very easy to see on the ground (so they hard to lose). Gear loft is handy for lightweight items; keep the heavy stuff away from this loft as the small plastic rings that support it probably cannot take much weight.

I am 100% satisfied with this tent!!!
on April 21, 2013
Love this tent. Have used it a few times on extended backpacking with my sons. Sets up in the rain well, and in the dark. Does not leak in the rain. I have only used it in 3 season weather. My sons and i are 6' tall and we fit fine in it. Though this year they may both be taller than me, so we will see.

As always, set up any new tent you are unfamiliar with a few times so that you can set it up rapidly when you plans don't quite match the reality of the situation. It can be set up by one person, but it is quicker with two. Plenty of venting so condensation has not been a problem with three inside during cool near foggy conditions.

Like it very much. I have the orange version.
on February 14, 2013
Great tent ! So easy to set up even in high wind. I taken this tent from the Rocky Mountains to backpacking in the volcano national park in Hawaii and it has been great in all conditions .

I would buy this tent again and recommend to to my friends

Happy travels
on June 28, 2014
I spend about a month every year on the road motorcycle touring. Of that time a bit over half of the nights are spent at campgrounds. Last year I was caught in one of the worst rain storms I have ever encountered and spent 3 days in a small backpacking tent. One that I could hardly sit up in. After that ordeal,I decided that my one objective before leaving this year would be to buy a larger tent. The Marmot Limelight 3p tent is exactly the right size to take on the motorcycle , Small enough to pack easily on the bike, large enough for me and all my gear to have plenty of room inside, even if I get caught inside for a few days. . the quality of the tent and ease of set up by just one person is superb. With this kind of luxury I may have to increase my number of camping days while on the road.
on May 1, 2013
I love this tent. This tent is perfect tent for 2 adults, maybe 3 but it would be a little snug. The set up is very easy. I had my 9 year old and 10 year old set it up and they did it in less than 5 minutes.

Great design. It was really windy and the tent held up great. Kept me warm at night with the full coverage rain fly while others were freezing. I would definitely recommend this product.
on February 17, 2014
Tent supplied with footprint and gear loft. Simple set up, this tent took no more than 5 minutes to set up right out of the carton it was shipped in. Sturdy design and stays dry in wet conditions.
on December 26, 2012
Previously seduced by the ultra low prices of decent dome tents, I splurged for this lightweight but sturdy tent for its room and overall quality. Ditto to superlatives already stated by other buyers