Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

VINE VOICEon October 14, 2012
About halfway through this movie I looked over my 8 year old daughter, and almost 12 year old son, to my husband and said, "I can't believe I'm getting goosebumps from a Tinker Bell movie."

Yes. Goosebumps.

My daughter and I have watched all the Tinker Bell movies in the franchise, and have even watched the specials on the Disney channel. I have to say that we've loved all the movies, but I think Secret of the Wings is now my favorite.

I won't bore you with the synopsis, as you can read it above, but I will tell you about what we liked,

-New characters!! Not only do we get to see all the favorites, we get lots of brand new characters as well, including Periwinkle (of course), Dewey (the Keeper), Lord Milori (voiced by Timothy Dalton! Yes!), and a host of new friends from the Winter Woods.

-No bad guys. I realized when I was watching this that there are no bad guys in a Tinker Bell movie! There are bad things that happen (and an occasional stray cat), but there is really no one bad guy. I love that! I love that it teaches my daughter that bad things can happen but if you work together, and think outside the box (like Tink), you can solve almost any problem.

-Personal sacrifice. As one of the other reviewers here remarked, there is a moment of personal sacrifice made by Tinker Bell that truly makes the film. It shows that while her main focus is getting to know Periwinkle, she cares more about all of the fairies, and the great pixie dust tree, than her own wishes.

-Great music. I'm still singing..."and the great divide...doesn't seem so wide..." although I do miss the Celtic music from the previous movies.

-The story! How can I put this last? The story is FANTASTIC. Simple enough that children can understand it, and complex enough that adults will enjoy it (note: my husband and I were going "Ooooh - I know what's gonna happen" as there is quite a bit of foreshadowing, but it didn't ruin the movie at all!"

All in all, the entire family has marked this as one of the best Tinker Bell movies yet! Even the animation is getting better (the bobcat looks so real!).

Thanks, Disney, for making an amazing franchise - so...when's the next movie?!
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2012
I saw this movie with my new children on September 2012 at El Capitan in Los Angeles (a special showing). My three year-old daughter and my five year-old son sat there mesmerized for the duration of the whole movie. This movie has a beautiful story-line and wonderful execution. If Disney had touched up the scenery ("background") a little more, it could have easily been ready for theaters. Even as is, the winter scenery is well done. I actually think this movie might be my favorite of the four tinkerbell movies (and I have watched each of them several times with my kids).
The story includes a beautiful moment of personal sacrifice by Tinkerbell. She "gives up" something she values greatly to save those she loves (I cannot reveal details without spoiler alert). What a wonderful lesson for young ones! I would recommend this highly to any parent with a young son or daughter.
on October 21, 2012
I have to admit that Disney's Tinker bell movies have become something of a guilty pleasure for me. I say "guilty pleasure" because I'm a 41 year old male - hardly Disney's target audience for the Tinker Bell movies! What's more, I can't even use the "I watched this with my kids" excuse cos I don't have any!! But I believe these movies can be enjoyed by people of any age - male or female! I watched Secret of the Wings last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, and it's easily as good as the other 3 movies, possibly the best yet. My favourite so far was TB and The Lost Treasure, but this could easily surpass that after further viewings. It's wintry setting with all the snow and ice really give the film an enchanting, magical feel. I watched this on Blu-ray (2D) and the picture quality - as expected from Disney - is amazing. The winter setting with it's icy whites and cool blues really look great. This film really deserves to be seen in HD. All of the animation is top notch too - everything from the characters to the beautiful falling snow looks great. Don't think for a minute that because this is a straight-to-video release Disney have knocked out a sub-par release. This looks just as good as most other CG animated films that get the full theatrical release. FYI this film was at one point known as "Tinker Bell and the Mysterious Winter Woods". I will definitely be watching this again soon, and have no doubt that younger viewers could easily watch it many, many times. There's also trailer on this disc for the next TB adventure coming in Spring 2014...I can't wait!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 10, 2012
I was able to review this movie last night with the kids and all I can say is that it was an amazing film. The artists at Disney have re-created a beautiful world for the fairies and have introduced a brand new set of fairy friends into the mix. I loved the concept of the movie. I also loved the change from Winter to Summer that was shown in the movie. Tinker Bell shows great sacrifice in the movie, not only for herself, but also for all of Pixie Hollow. This sacrifice provides a great example of what it means to be family and a member of a community. I can say that the whole family thoroughly enjoyed watching this film and I already know that we will be watching it again and again in the months and years to come!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2012
We saw this movie at the El Capitan theater in Los Angeles this past weekend (9/9/12). It was very enjoyable, and my 5 year old daughter and her friend were mesmerized. I really enjoyed it myself as well. Looking forward to this movie coming out on DVD!
on October 26, 2012
Wow! This must be the best direct-to-video movie we've ever seen. I sat down with the kids to watch what was only supposed to be a few minutes of this film the other night. However, I couldn't pull myself away and ended viewing the entire movie with them, complete with a lump in the throat and a smile on my face at the end. To sum up my experience in a trite phrase, "I laughed, I cried, it moved me". :-)

Seriously, I was not expecting much from this film. I got it because my daughter (age 7) and son (age 9) really enjoyed the other Tinkerbell movies, which we own. However, I never expected to enjoy it myself, as an adult. I was greatly mistaken. In fact, our kids are watching it again (for about the 8th time) with their aunt and uncle (who are also enjoying it very much).

Another quick note... We purchased the 3D/Blu-ray/DVD package. I can definitively say that the picture quality on the blu-ray is breathtaking! Additionally, the 3D is amazing! Definitely a great 3D disc to have if you're looking for more family films to add to your library.

Needless to say, this was a great purchase. I know this movie will be in heavy rotation in our home for years to come. Highly recommended!

P.S. I read that some people might be concerned about possible "environmental" overtones in this film. Look, I'm politically conservative and am sensitive to outright propaganda, but that is just nowhere in this film. If someone finds it in this movie, they are probably either ultra sensitive or really, really reaching. This is just a terrifically fun film for the entire family, with a refreshingly original story-line, and is very moving to boot! Enjoy! :-)
on October 23, 2012
We love the Tinker Bell movies and this one did not disappoint. It was a wonderful story filled with adventure and fun. My 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter really enjoyed!!
on October 23, 2012
This is by far the best of Tinkerbell films to be made. The DVD include among the bonus area a pair of music videos, the first time I believe a pixie preview short is place on a DVD and the made-for-TV special Pixie Hollow Games. I once heard that only four Tinkerbell movies were planned but this video also has a preview for a new Tinkerbell movie coming out in the Spring where Tink and her friend have an accident that results in them swapping powers and abilities.

The movie itself I think is the best Tinkerbell movie made yet. Like the first Tinkerbell movie we have Tink as curious now about the winter woods as she once was about the main land and just as much want to visit there. When Fawn need help herding animals there she thought she had her chance to explore. Just when her wings start to glow, Fawn pulls her back and tell her its against fairy law for Winter fairies to cross over to their side or warm fairies to cross over into winter. AS she tries to learn more about why her wings glowed she decide to stow away on the next owl pick up to the winter woods after re-designing the outfit she wore in Lost Treasure for winter warmth. It is there that she meets her sister and find out how much alike they are. Being sisters when their wings are put together they have a secret power no fairy has ever seen before. The two work together with a plan to try to convince the Lord of Winter and Queen Cleareon to resin the law about crossing over which like most of Tinkerbell's plans get worst before things get better.
on October 23, 2012
My daughter ADORES the Disney Fairies franchise. This movie was such a great addition. "The Pixie Hollows Games" short was very good as well. This movie keeps in the spirit of the other movies, and if you are a fan I highly encourage you to get it.

We try to get the digital copies because it helps to have them on our handheld devices while travelling. It's definitely a lifesaver!
on December 27, 2012
This movie makes me happy! I bought this for my 3 yr old niece for Christmas, but I secretely watched the 3D movie with my BF on his 3D TV prior to giving her the original version for XMAS. She doesn't have a 3D TV, nor understand the concept of 3D since she is only 3 years old anyways. It came with 4 discs, so I figured why not :) My BF and I have started up quite a collection of 3D digital cartoons ever since he purchased his TV, and this one by far has had the best 3D effects. With Tinkerbell's sparkling wings, and the shimmering of the fairy's outfits, and the cute little forest creatures, it was all that a girl (at any age) would love! My boyfriend loved the 3D effects, and I think he truly enjoyed the actual movie and storyline as well. (Although he would never rave to his buddies about the Tinkerbell movie that he recentely watched! ;) I know this, because after the movie he made a comment about he appreciated the fact this was the first Disney movie he watched that did not possess one "bad" character, and he was absolutely right! With all Disney movies there is always good guy vs bad guy, but this one didn't have that kind of storyline and it was very refreshing to see. I recommend this movie to any person at any age regardless of 3D or not! The 3D version is a BONUS, but either way it's great!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse