Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Size: Pack of 40|Change

on September 22, 2012
I've been working with Avery labels as an admin assistant for over 20 years. Most of the time the templates and products are very reliable. While these printable tags are a good idea on paper, they just don't work well with the printer. They're not for inkjets and laser printers aren't fond of the card stock. If you have to put the labels through a printer twice, they will begin perforating on you and that's just a big old mess. Honestly, it was easier for me to use the template, print them out on my own card stock and then cut them out with scissors. More time consuming, but the result was better.
Size: Pack of 96|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was very excited to find this product because I was already creating my own tags for baked good and care package items by finding free templates online and printing them to heavy paper and card stock. I loved the sound of this product because I knew that I could punch the labels out rather than having to cut the painstakingly with a scissors.

I liked that right out of the box they had a substantial feel to them (like a standard weight card stock). The strings themselves are pretty standard with little flare, but lock making them perfect for price tags. However, because they are not attached, you can also swap them out for colored ribbon, yarn, or string, which I've been doing. I would give 5 stars for the product itself. Though I do somewhat wish it had a glossy finish to it, though I have no idea whether that would make it smudge when printed on.

What is dragging this review down to 3 stars is the experience of actually creating the tags. Avery does provide ample templates online, including some with graphics already included. However, all the templates are in Microsoft Word, which I don't find to be very user friendly for this type of thing. When you are just making standard address labels it is perfectly sufficient, but when you're making branded products like a tag it's not very easy to drag and drop graphics and do different treatments. In addition, some of the files, when opened on my computer were all messed up - text and images were hanging off the label and all over the place. Basically, you have to expect to spend sometime creating these if you want them to look professional and a beginning understanding of Microsoft word is needed.

Edited to add: I finally found the online interface thanks to some helpful commenters. I found it MUCH more user friendly than the word downloads, but I was pretty disapointed with the templates available. Everything seemed a bit outdated and clipart friendly which seemed like a shame to me since I have found great free printables elsewhere on the net (they just don't work with this template). I expected a bit more since these are billed as products for small business owners.

I think they'd be much better off if they created their own software program or had an online interface for customizing labels, rather than trying to use a program that really wasn't meant for involved design. At the very least, it would be nice if they offered files that could be opened in a program like Photoshop.I also think some of the graphics and styles available don't look as polished as what you can already find at craft stores or patterns available on blogs and sites like Martha Stewart.

Overall, I think this product is a great idea, I think it is just a shame that the interface to create the labels isn't more user friendly. I'm hoping that as I spend more time playing around with these I will get better at it, but for now, it seems like there is a bit of a learning curve to create something that realizes my vision.
on December 11, 2015
I love a lot of Avery stuff but this is a "false convenience" product. If you're printing something very simple, the labels could be useful, but for simple tags you might not need a product like this in the first place.

I found these very difficult to print satisfactorily because (1) there are six edges per label PLUS the punch-out dot that your design has to contend with/avoid bumping into/align to, and (2) the two columns of labels are placed on the page in mirror image, so whatever you get set up and working for the left column has to be rotated 180 degrees to work with the right column, necessitating another set of adjustments. This is something Avery should have designed better.

I don't mind the string/plastic locking ties, but you can find those elsewhere as "Hang Tag Nylon String Snap Lock Pin Loop Fastener Hook Ties" for two or three cents apiece, and much less if all-plastic will suit.

I have a lot of experience putting labels through laser printers and even after spending a lot of time with this template testing on plain paper, I still lost 25% of my 96 tags to misalignment and a printer jam due to the many perforations on the page. Also, the grey lines on the template shapes printed on the output, and if they were deleted, the alignment of the output changed. I ended up keeping them in the template but changed the grey lines to an extremely faint shade of the main color of my design so they were not noticeable.

My final result was a decent-looking but time-consuming and very expensive tag. I would have been way ahead of the game time- and cost-wise by printing on plain cardstock, cutting the tags out with scissors or a one-arm "guillotine" paper trimmer, punching the hole with a manual punch, and buying the string ties separately. In fact this is exactly what I will be doing for the next batch.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 27, 2013
We use these tags for seasonal products and they work extremely well.

- They are a nice size (not huge like shipping tags)
- The tags are made from a sturdy paper (but not quite as sturdy as card stock)
- They take color printing very, very well
- The snap-lock strings securely fasten the tags to the items
- The Avery template is actually pretty simple to use (initially it takes a tiny bit of patience but once you start, you're on your way!)

I would have given it 5-stars instead of 4-stars if it was just a little easier to remove the tags from the sheets after they were printed. Kind of a pain in the neck - but it's a minor quibble.

Overall, these are well worth it - easy to use and they really look good.
on April 27, 2016
One of my favorite avery finds in a while.

Pros: Make your gifts and products look super cute with these customizable tags!

Cons: The separation of the tags was a tricky endeavor. Go slow, fold the perforations back and forth multiple times otherwise you will be left with hanging bits or it will rip into your tag. That is the only reason for a less than 5 star review.
on April 1, 2016
I used these labels to attach to some items I was making during the gift giving season! I used Avery's web app to create a design and printed it out. I opened two of the four boxes I purchased and didn't have any problem. They all arrived with the packaging in great shape. None of the product was torn or even had a problem going through the printer. The strings that are used to attach the labels are sturdy and dependable, longer than I expected, and lock in place. The cardstock is also sturdy enough to be attached to the string without being easily broken. I am glad that I ordered more than I needed, since I was so impressed with the quality that I plan to use them for another project.
VINE VOICEon February 21, 2012
Size: Pack of 96|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used and reviewed a lot of Avery products over the years, and I have to say, the Avery Printable Tags are not one of my favorite product additions. I especially do not like the weight of the paper. It is a bit flimsy and very bland--just flat white thin card stock. Unless you are adding a lot of colorful graphics, there is no pop to the tag. I am also not a fan of the strings that come with the tags. While it is a nice touch to add them to the package, I would never use them. If you are going to go to the trouble of making homemade tags, I would certainly hope you would use something a little nicer to attach the tag to the package. The locking mechanism is made of cheap looking plastic and the strings look like a very finely woven rope. And also of note, you do not get a clean edge when you separate the product at the perforation. You have tiny paper fibers that surround the edges so you do not get a crisp look. Formatting is also an issue. It is important to note that I use a MAC, and there are MAC issues when trying to format tags like this. While I understand you can go to the Avery website and download templates, it adds to the already time consuming process of designing the tag, and there is a learning curve to the Avery software templates. If you are in a hurry, this would not be a project I recommend starting.

On the plus side, Avery is still committed to the Box Tops for Education program and has a coupon on the package. And the packaging is recyclable so you are not putting more waste into a landfill. It also offer a toll free number to call if you run in to a problem and gives you a website option to help design your tags. But those positives do not make this one of the quality products I have come to depend on from Avery, and I will not be buying this product again.
on October 21, 2014
Ran through my Epson Artisan 50 great and printed beautifully. I used an Avery Adobe Illustrator template I found online as I use Creative suite for my work. Printed my design out on these to attach to wedding favors and they were beautiful.
on December 31, 2013
I love the print to the edge feature on these. They looked great when finished and very professional. It was hard using the Avery template in Word, it just took a little longer to adjust. I didn't use the ties it came with because I thought they looked cheap, so I tied them with ribbon instead and it looked great.
on June 21, 2016
Love these. I knit and make boxes and books and such. And each thing has its own price. These are a great option for printing my logo and basic information on, then just quickly attaching to the item. They go through the printer very well, and (provided I don't muck with the ink) they look great coming out.