Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 12-Quart|Change

on May 30, 2012
I purchased two of these storage containers as they were advertised as "airtight". Sadly, they were not. They seemed well made and would have worked perfectly had they been airtight.
Forgive my lack of technical terms, but I'll do my best to describe the issue with these containers. The closing mechanism at the front functioned properly and the seal around the lid appeared to be well made. However, the "hinges" along the back edge were not made well enough to achieve a snug fit. They were plastic, which was fine, except the plastic "pin" was not long enough to fit securely into the hole on each side of the hinge. When closing the lid against the airtight foam seal the pressure applied to the "pin" area would cause the pin to slip out of the hole...thus allowing a gap along the rear edge of the container. These "holes" did not seem to be broken or cracked in anyway.
If you are NOT needing an airtight container, these are nice containers. But if you require airtight, I would opt for something else.
55 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2013
First let me say that I own four different IRIS containers, plus many more over the years. None of these have broken, all have done their job to keep your pet food, or whatever you are trying to protect, from moisture, bugs, your animal tearing into their food bag, whatever your reason is. If you are wondering why I have owned several over the years and yet none have malfunctioned, they were sold due to large moves (military move from Japan to Texas for example) or because I needed a larger/smaller size. I bought this, the 10 pound size to store my rice in. We buy large bags of sushi rice and needed something that you could easily scoop out of, plus the black lid matches my kitchen decor. I am on here today, buying another one of these, to store my outside bird feed in. If you've never had an IRIS container, it can be a little tricky at first to get that hinge set up correctly, I am assuming this is why another reviewer said his broke after several uses. You have to get that hinge installed correctly or else it will either pop out everytime you open it and I assume, break after a while. I don't know what else to say other than these are perfect containers. They have various sizes, some with casters (which I own for my dog food) some smaller ones for smaller pets. We also have 2 of the same size for our cat and ferret food. All of my pet food is stored in the garage. We have had absolutely no issues with bugs, moisture, nothing! Your food will stay fresh in these containers and its always nice not waking up to a cat or dog having chew through their bag at night!
on August 14, 2015
I use IRIS Products and this is not what I was expecting. As other reviewers have stated, the quality is not there and this is NOT airtight, because the plastic hinge towards the back is flimsy and does not snap firmly into place. This will be going back.
on December 17, 2013
I bake a lot of bread at home and buy my flour in 50 pound sacks. I store it in the pantry and it is a bit of a chore to schlep it out to the kitchen. I found myself taking the pan/bowl to the pantry and measuring the flour out there. This works perfectly for my purposes. I can just roll it into the kitchen and measure the flour out easily with no mess/spillage. Additionally, a 25 pound sack of rice shares the container. It can be a bit tight, but not really an issue.
One review mentioned a wheel broke off when the wheel mount failed. In my case, I am sure not to lean on on the container whilst rolling it around, it has a metric boatload of weight in it, and so far, so good.
on January 8, 2015
The 25 lb container is the perfect size for larger bags of pet food that can be easily lifted and poured in. It is easy to roll around from different locations in your house or garage without having to carry the entire container. I have one for both our dog and cat food. I've had these for three months now and the flip top handle hasn't broken or cracked even with opening and closing at least two times per day.

I live on a farm with lots of rodents and creatures always roaming around outside. I have these stored in the garage and haven't had any issues with rodents or insects (ants) getting into the container like I've had with previous pet food containers I've purchased. The seal is very tight, keeps the food fresh and bugs out. Other reviewers have reported issues with the seal and if it wasn't tight I KNOW I would have experienced an ant invasion in the containers by now.
on January 14, 2016
Holds 50lbs of dry dog food and a scooper and a couple of small bowls. Arrived right on time in perfect condition. Wheels were packed inside and attach easy. Looks like it should keep the dog food fresh. It has an inner seal around the lid and a the latch will keep it closed.
on July 15, 2012
We switched to a better quality dog food, but with that comes the fact that there are no preservatives, so safely storing the food becomes an issue. We decided to try these containers because they claim to be airtight. I am not a scientist so I can't verify if that is correct or not, but it seems to be working.
on May 26, 2016
Nice enough container, but the measurements are NOT accurate. I don't know who's measuring or how they're doing it, but here are the actual measurements:
13" Deep (Back to front, from hinged lid to clasp)
13" Wide at the very back of the container at the top. 10" Wide at the bottom of the container from the back. If you're setting something into it that's not dog food this is the important measurement.
11.5" Wide at the front where it locks at the top. 9" Wide at the bottom of the container at the front on the clasp side.

The "air tight" seal is foam and may in fact be air tight, but I'll never know since it's not the dimensions I need it for and is in fact quite a few inches off.
If all you're using this for is to store pet food, it may be a great container and likely can hold the listed volume. If you planned to store something else, use the above measurements and see if it will work for your needs. It did not work for mine. The only reason this may stay in my house is if my wife can find a use for it. Otherwise back to Amazon it goes.
on September 7, 2015
Seal is flimsy. seems like an impregnated Styrofoam which really doesn't give a feeling or sense of a good long-term seal. that seal should be silicone or a rubber substance at this cheap white foamy thing that will disintegrate over time especially if you're taking it in and out to clean it once in a while. returning it
on September 18, 2015
This is, overall, an extremely adequate pet food container. It fits the contents of a ten pound bag with a little room left to spare. When I received mine, the lid's hinges needed to be snapped into place, which initially made me a little wary, but show no signs of wear/breaking after installation.

I would question the "airtight" qualifier that this pet food container advertises. I do not see this being airtight/watertight/or even pettight. If you have a smart animal, I could easily imagine your dog or cat figuring out how to press up on the latching mechanism and lifting the lid for a little late night snack. The latch itself does not close tightly, and only needs a slight amount of pressure to disengage. Just something to consider...

All in all, I think that this is a great option for anyone looking to purchase a pet food container for their smaller pet. Most likely a cat or small house dog; because ten pounds of food really isn't all that much. I would recommend that you also keep this behind a closed door just in case your furry friend wises up and figures out how to access the all you can eat buffet!
review image