Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Having used the free version of Allrecipes, I knew it was one of the best recipe apps, so when the pro (paid) version went on sale as a Cyber Monday deal, I bought it. I've used enough recipe apps to know that Allrecipes is one of the most comprehensive full-featured recipe apps in the Android world. The recipe spinner is a nice feature, especially with its ability to add filters for vegan, low sodium, low carbohydrates, etc. Recipes that you like can be added to a recipe box for quick recall later. Unlike some recipe books and apps, the basic nutritional information is given (serving size, calories, fat, carbs, etc.), which is essential information for many people. To take full advantage of the app, you'll have to create an account with Allrecipes. Once you've done that, you can create shopping lists, email recipes, adjust the size of the recipes, and other things that are useful.

This is probably the most full-featured recipe app that I've seen. It's simple enough to use, but there is online help available if needed. It does require that the user be online when looking for recipes, but I don't see that as a significant downside.

Note: I ran the app on my Kindle Fire HD (7"), where I had no problems.
on July 24, 2012
I downloaded to my Kindle Fire, and maybe I was supposed to know this but I downloaded this only to find out that you must have Internet connection for it to work. I was hoping my recipe box would still be available for when we are traveling in our RV (just like downloading a book). I guess this is for those that have Internet connection phones. It will come in handy at some places we camp that have WiFi connection. I do have to say I like the setup of the recipe box much better on the pro than if I was using my computer. Big bold writing that is easy to read.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2012
Love this app! Previously, I had been disappointed with going to Allrecipes on my Kindle Fire. However, with this app, I can check out my recipe box and make changes. I found the dinner spinner especially fun when I just needed to find a good vegetable to go with the rack of lamb I was preparing! So pleased to find this app to be exactly as advertised and would happily recommend the AR Pro for Kindle Fire use...(just pass on the other version though, I found it almost useless on my Fire)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
While the idea of spinning for random recipes that meet your resources and time is a cute idea, I found this app more useful as a search engine for recipes. No matter which way you use the app, there are a couple of things to consider:

1. To save recipes for future use without searching for them again, you'll need an account at So if you don't have one, you'd be best off to do that before you start to seriously use this app.

2. It would be nice if you could keep multiple recipes up at the same time in tabs. When I'm cooking for a dinner party, I always work on multiple dishes at once.

3. There doesn't seem to be a way to add your own recipes to this app. I suppose you might be able to add them to the web site and then search for them with this app, but I haven't tried doing that.

I have made high rated recipes from this site in the past, and have yet to be disappointed with one. Therefore good ratings here seem to be reliable recipes in my experience. However, for my purposes this app most likely wouldn't be practical, since I do a lot of cooking from recipes that I will not find already on their web site, and for reasons mentioned above. I do like the idea of using a tablet device for recipe reference rather than flipping back and forth between cookbook pages, but I may need to find a different app, if indeed there is one that does what I'd specifically be looking for.

However, for the purpose of finding a quick one-off recipe or getting some ideas when you are burned out on thinking up meal plans, this is a good way to go. You may also want to check out ChefTap Recipe App and Pepper Plate Recipe, Menu & Cooking Planner.
on December 19, 2013
I have had the free version for a while snagged this as FAOTD in case I want to use it, but it just isn't as useful as I would like, and has at least one permission I totally don't get the reason for.

First, the permissions. Camera and flash are so you can add pictures of your food directly from the app, rather than having to take them with a separate camera app and pull them in. Okay, not my thing, but I get it. Scary-sounding, but not that big a deal. On the other hand, why does a cookbook app need to know what other apps are running on my device?

Feature-wise, I love being able to set the spinner for a food I want to use, but it's not that hard to do a single-ingredient search on my own. It would be a lot more useful if I could set two or three that I am trying to combine. Likewise, we have have a large number of foods we have to avoid between different members of my household, and while the avoided foods settings are a nice start, they aren't quite beefy enough for our situation.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012 is a great resource for so many recipes, well organized and rated by many users with very helpful comments on each recipe. This is indeed a handy interface while on the go! But, I don't "spin" for my dinner selection - ever. Having to go through the "spinner" to get to the reference material is ever so slightly irritating and bothersome. Perhaps this app would be better if the spinner was an option once you open the app and access the site material. Then, if you want to "spin", go ahead. But if you simply want to look up a recipe, you don't have to navigate through the spinner. I gripe..., but I still prefer this app because of the access to the site information.
on February 16, 2013
I don't really care about the dinner spinner. I only bought this app because it said you have full access to your Allrecipes Box which I want. I just want a simple app that I can open up my saved recipes and start cooking. To get to my recipe box I have to go through the dinner spinner and then choose a recipe and then save it and then I can see my recipe box but I can't access my saved recipes. It is a pain. I want my money back.
on December 19, 2013
Why would a recipe app need access to my camera and want to know what other processes are running. No application needs this level of permissions. Apps that want to behave like spyware should be rated like spyware.
on January 17, 2013
This app is totally misrepresented, as far as I can tell. I ordered it because I wanted access to my AR recipe box on my Kindle. I didn't care about the planner/spinner thing. Well, I never could find access to anything other than a recipe search and the dinner spinner thing. I was dissappointed that there was very limited functionality within the app. If you want something to plan dinner for you, it's cute. Not what I was expecting.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 19, 2013
I am not a big cooker, so it's fun to have an app that I can 'spin' like my favorite slot game to discover a few new recipes. I find it a fun way to discover new things with the reputation of All recipes behind the content I feel secure spending money on recipes knowing there will be a trusted outcome.

A few points.

* You need internet to run App.
* You need an allrecipe dot com account (free) to store content
* It's difficult to find favorite recipes.

**I'd like to point out that the app requires access to your camera and your flashlight (two functions that work together) for the purpose of allowing you to take photos of your food in app instead of importing the photos.