Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

4.6 out of 5 stars11,030
Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 4, 2012
I am more giddy than my giddy aunt. I saw the midnight showing of the AVENGERS last night and, at the end, my face hurt and warped from grinning so big. I am so wired I can't form a coherent thought. Here's a salvo of stream-of-consciousness impressions, in whatever order.

Mark Ruffalo is simply terrific as the Hulk's alter (and calmer) ego. I actually prefer his interpretation of Dr. Banner over Bana's and Norton's. Ruffalo steers away from the deadening angst that made me fidget in earlier Hulk pictures. He finds a balance. This Banner exhibits a dry sense of humor but exudes this quirky, low simmer edginess. And I love Ruffalo's interactions with Downey, Jr., two swaggerful eggheads matching their test tubes against each other and applying big, sciency words. I like that there's respect between their two characters. There's an intriguing twist involving Banner's relationship with the Hulk, of which I won't say more. The Hulk - and this seems to be a unanimous impression - hijacks the movie.

Comic book geeks like me have recently been dogging Marvel's latest company crossover event, AVENGERS VS. X-MEN. And, yet, this film demonstrates that, sometimes, there's nothing more exhilarating than eyeballing an epic hero vs. hero scrap. Mjolnir, meet the Hulk's face. And have you ever wondered what happens should Thor's enchanted hammer go up against Captain America's indestructible shield?

The plot revolves around the far-ranging machinations of Loki, Asgardian god of mischief. Those who've read the Avengers' comic book origin should note a smidgen of familiarity, but only a smidgen. The Tesseract - someone mistakenly thought "Tesseract" sounds cooler than "cosmic cube" - plays a part. The bad guys whom Loki recruits as an invasion force aren't Skrulls. Not exactly. But they do pose an extinction level threat, alarming enough that some assembly becomes required.

Captain America is well utilized here, although I'm hating his awkward modern-day costume. I vastly prefered his more practical WWII outfit. But maybe I just like pouches.

Joss Whedon, Joss Whedon. His storytelling has big scope; it has grandeur. Whedon orchestrates a sprawling, high-profiled cast and just about gets away with not slighting anyone. He does rely some on your familiarity with the character development sunk into the prior films. He manages to tie in various plot threads from previous Marvel pictures. Although Stark, Cap, and Banner get the lion's share of the spotlight, Whedon devotes time and space to side characters like the slinky but lethal spy, the Black Widow, and the likable, unobstrusive Agent Coulson. If you assume the Black Widow's defining action moment surfaces in that early interrogation scene, you'd be all kinds of not right. Scarlett Johansson ticks off Whedon's Buffy box, not only in things asskickery but also in terms of strong character beats (the Widow's dialogue with Loki happens to be an acting showcase). She's so much more here than when she was featured in IRON MAN 2. But if I were to pick out two people who may have been underused, they'd have to be Maria Hill and Hawkeye. I do feel that Cobie Smulders was wasted.

I love that, like in the comics, Thor never gives up on his half-brother.

The first half hour is essentially a slow burn set-up that may or may not keep you engaged. And at times Whedon does sacrifice narrative for those wild action sequences, and that's okay, because Whedon treats us to a series of marvelous cape-on-cape violence. In true Marvel fashion, these heroes harbor instant grudges against each other. But all those violent "misunderstandings" merely whet your appetite. Joss unleashes the white knuckle action in the third act. The extended climactic combat sequence - as the Avengers hold the line against a horde of grotesque Not Skrulls - is off the charts and so damn gratifying. There's this now famous tracking shot in which I'm reminded of the 1990s X-Men cartoon in which the camera would often track the X-Men in frenzied action, as they hurtle in and out of the picture, occasionally mingling with each other only to break off again into individual skirmishes. I was mesmerized by Whedon's sweeping, organic approach to the battle scenes.

No surprise, there are heaps of whip-smart one-liners, plenty of them generated by a smirky Robert Downey, Jr. - and yet even Hemsworth's regal thunder god elicits chuckles. No contest, though, the brutalizing Hulk - who, by the way, is rendered to savage life in impeccable CG - captures two of the film's biggest laughs.

For pure escapism and sheer fanfare and fan service beyond expectation, THE AVENGERS is the best superhero movie I have ever seen. I have to see it again. But you, you make sure to stick around for the embedded scene during the post-credits and then for the post-credit scene. You may wet your pants. Or you may, afterwards, go "What the flippin' flip was that?"

Hours and hours later, I'm still big grinning. Joss Whedon actually pulled it off.

What I have is the Blu-Ray 2-disc edition. I must say I'm digging the crystal clear, hi-res video quality of the blu-ray disc. We've probably all gotten spoiled by the extras on the Lord of the Rings packages, so the following bonus stuff probably won't overwhelm anyone:

- Audio Commentary by director Joss Whedon
- "Marvel One-Shot: Item 47" - A short film in which we learn what happens to the one piece of alien tech not collected by S.H.I.E.L.D. in the aftermath of the New York battle (00:11:20 minutes)
- "The Avengers Initiative: A Marvel Second Screen Experience" - use your iPad, iPhone or laptop to access the S.H.I.E.L.D. data base to immerse yourself in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, dive into the Avengers Comic Book History, and much more
- Gag Reel, which is hilarious (00:04:04 minutes)
- Deleted/Extended Scenes (totaling 00:14:58 minutes):
* Alternate Opening - Maria Hill being interrogated by the World Security Council (you could see why Whedon scrapped this)
* Extended Scene - "Loki & Barton Strategize"
* "Steve Rogers - Man Out of Time" - This is the best deleted scene of the lot as it explores Steve Rogers' ties to his past in clearer detail; it also features another cameo by Stan Lee and that waitress
* "Nick Fury & World Security Council"
* "Extended Viaduct Fight" - Raw footage of Black Widow and Hawkeye battling Chitauri aliens
* "Fury & Hill Discuss the World Security Council"
* Extended Scene - "Banner and Security Guard" - Banner gets a pep talk and a motorcycle
* Alternate Ending - Maria Hill still being interrogated by the World Security Council
- 2 Featurettes:
* "A Visual Journey" (00:06:26 minutes)
* "Assembling the Ultimate Team" - Whedon and cast members talk up each other (00:08:06 minutes)
- Soundgarden Music Video - "Live to Rise"
- There's also a code provided which when entered on AvengersAssembleOffer.com allows access to a Free Digital Comic Book Offer and a Free Marvel Poster Offer

And if you intend to pick up the basic Avengers DVD, you'll be treated to only these following Special Features:

- Audio Commentary by Joss Whedon
- "Assembling the Ultimate Team" featurette

Some info on what's included in the Phase One: Avengers Assembled 10-disc, 6-film super-set (which may or may not come in an officially issued S.H.I.E.L.D. briefcase):

* Marvel's The Avengers (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
* Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
* Thor (Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray)
* Iron Man 2 (Blu-ray)
* The Incredible Hulk (Blu-ray)
* Iron Man (Blu-ray)
* Bonus Disc - "The Phase One Archives" (Blu-ray)
* Collectible packaging with exclusive memorabilia from the Marvel Cinematic Universe
126126 comments|813 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2012
Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite movies and I highly recommend it as a Blu-ray purchase for any action and/or hero fan. The problem is that this 4 disc set is nothing but a sham, and on multiple levels:

Digital Copy:
First, the only supported tablet is the Ipad, so for all of us Android tablet users, don't dream about taking the movie with you on the go through legitimate means.
In fact, even if you choose the WMP version which can only be seen on your computer, you might face difficulties. My Laptop apparently needed a security update (which I couldn't get no matter how much I tried), in spite of the fact that it's running on the latest version.

Digital Music Download:
Why not simply include the music within the set in MP3 files? Here's why. Although you've already paid a higher price for a set that should provide the soundtrack, they feel that you still haven't actually paid enough. After giving my authentication code online, I was asked for personal contact info. WTH!?!? I have enough spam mail as it is! I decided to give it a shot and give my email address, at risk of getting flooded by unwanted ads.
What message did I get upon punching in my zip code? "Not available in some regions". Never mind that I purchased it at a local retail store.

This set (I assume) should only be sought out by those who actually have a full 3d home theater set. Even then, I fell as though everything listed after DVD in features is false advertising.

I bought the set yesterday, and today I'm going back to my local retail store to get my money back and get the simple, Blu-ray set.

Update:
Retailer won't accept opened movie.

Someone commented that I shouldn't whine over a product that costs $19.99 or technology that doesn't work.

It wasn't $19.99, it was $29.99. And it works just fine if you torrent a ripped file.

I'll whine as much as I want over a product whose label reads "watch anywhere, anytime", with pictures of phones and tablets, and doesn't deliver. If I'd known the truth of what was inside, I would have saved 10 dollars by buying the simple set, a lot of time trying to get something to work when it doesn't, and the stress of going back to the store (in vain). I posted this for the benefit of those who might want what I wanted out of the product.

There's a second reason why this whole situation is upsetting to me:
The industry is trying to fight piracy, which I understand and respect. If they would make it easier for people like me to get what we want (instead of difficult or even impossible through legitimate means), I would gladly pay full price for a movie if I can use it for my personal enjoyment in technology that is by no means new. Another user who got to use it on his laptop said that he still needs to use the DVD to authenticate his ownership every time he wants to watch the digital file on his computer, so in essence it's just like popping in the DVD.

This is the 3rd consecutive movie that I buy (and love) with a "digital copy" that is inaccessible.
I don't care if it's $2.00 or $200, don't sell me something that doesn't do what you say it does.
6464 comments|1,191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2012
....And what fun it is.

*Spoilers Ahead*

Marvel's "The Avengers" is an expertly-crafted movie that makes 2 1/2 hours fly by like....well....I don't really know...SOMETHING FAST. My thoughts on seeing this movie--the first time (yes, you WILL go to see this more than once)--were: "This was just as good as 'The Dark Knight'....how is THAT even possible?" Well...consider first that Marvel has always had the best storylines, and the know-how to mix all of their characters' comic books together into one, all-encompassing storyline. Then, consider they decided to apply said formula to their movies. Third, they went out and expertly casted the parts.

How could this NOT be good?

Who else but Robert Downey, Jr could be a multi-billionaire, techno-wizard, armor-wearing snark-artist? Acts like he doesn't care, but is willing to sacrifice his life to save New York.

Chris Evans is Captain America. A 1940s guy living in the present day....brings "a little old-fashioned" to the role and shows old-fashionedness isn't cheesy, it just depends on how it is presented. It is presented very well, with Evans being the heart and soul (not to mention team leader) of The Avengers--by the way: love the shot, at the movie's end, of him on his motorcycle riding off into the sunset.

Mark Ruffalo, (great casting here; now I feel the Hulk movie franchise finally has hope) channels Bill Bixby in his performance (good idea!) but adds a "Hulk-sized" portion of world-weariness to his character...his over-the-shoulder "I'm always angry" is one of my favorite moments in an entire movie of favorite moments. And....The Hulk gets two more "Hulk-sized" moments that totally bring the house down.

Oh, nice touch having Lou Ferrigno voice the Hulk.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor is the only character in the movie whom I feel was under-utilized. No fault of the actor's; he does a great job with what he is given....and DOES have his moments ("He's adopted")....I just felt they didn't give him as much as they did the other three leads.

Rounding out The Avengers are Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner as the assassin/couple: Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff) and Hawkeye. Ms. Johansson is a master interrogator (albeit by making use of quite unorthodox means). Hawkeye is the steely-cool expert marksman--I had my doubts as to how an archer could work in such a high-energy movie. It works.

The Avengers are put together by SHIELD: Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury (need I say more?); Clark Gregg (Agent Phil Coulson, and very funny in the role); Colbie Smulders (Agent Maria Hill--doesn't get nearly enough screen time) and Stellan Starsgard.

Loki is portrayed by Tom Hiddleston; whom, for a character thinking of himself as a god, brings some amusing vunerability to the character: His embarrassment at being unable to kill/brainwash Tony Stark: "This usually works."; or, "If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now."

I was initially skeptical about this movie. I didn't think Loki was the best choice for a screen villain. Er, was I wrong....this tale of an immortal/meglomaniac/demigod/god-wannabe who enlists an alien race to help him conquer Earth (Question: if Loki *really* was a god, why would he need alien help?) made for some great popcorn, big-tent, summer viewing.

....My other initial fear was that this wasn't going to be "The Avengers" as much as it would be "Iron Man and Friends".

Thankfully, I was wrong again.

To sum up: The Avengers is cinematic excellence. Many have complained about it being too long--and, the first 20 minutes or so setting up the story *do* take a moment....but once "Marvel's The Avengers" splashes across the screen: The movie takes off and never looks back. It is packed with great moments and memorable lines/one-liners. The action sequences are the best I've ever seen and it all looks real. Seems I read somewhere online the battle in New York would have done (in reality) 39 billion dollars' worth of damage. You WILL believe it.

Oh, one last thing: sit through ALL of the credits.

Thank you, Joss Whedon and co.

Please go all-out on the blu-ray release. Please.

Quotes

Natasha: "I'd sit this one out, Cap."
Captain America: "I don't see how I can."
Natasha: "These guys (Thor and Loki) come from legend. They're basically gods."
Cap: "There's only one God, ma'am. And I'm pretty sure he isn't dressed like that."

Cap: "Dr. Banner, now might be a good time for you to get angry."
Dr. Banner: "That's my secret, Captain." (looks back over his shoulder at Cap) "I'm always angry."

Loki: (embarrassed) "This usually works."
Tony Stark: "Well, you know, performance issues..."

"The Avengers"

PG-13 for language (non-harsh) and violence; no gore or sex to be found, parents.

Marvel Studios in association with Paramount Pictures

Directed by Joss Whedon

**********UPDATE: Oct. 2, 2012**********

Ok, the Blu-Ray/DVD has finally arrived, here is what you get:

DISC 1

*Blu-Ray Feature Film in 3D (3D viewing requires Blu-Ray 3D player, 3D capable display and 3D glasses

DISC 2

*Blu-Ray Feature Film

*An original SHORT: "Item 47". I won't give the story away, but it could have been called, "Fun at the gas pump".

*FEATURETTE: "A Visual Journey". Documentary about the film's look, ranging from the set-building and visual effects all the way through to the film's cinematography, too.

*Marvel's First Ever Gag Reel: The outtakes are presented are entertaining enough, but the whole featurette is barely five minutes long. I wish it were a half-hour in length--at the least.

*Deleted Scenes: and, a LOT of them. One very interesting one concerning a present-day Captain America *and* his love interest from "Captain America-The First Avenger". I had heard a rumor these deleted scenes WOULD BE INSERTED SEAMLESSLY into the original movie, giving us a new, special edition version....said rumor was wrong.

*Soundgarden Music Video: :Live To Rise".

*The Avengers Initiative: A Marvel Second Screen Experience. This works on your iphone, ipad or laptop. Once enabled, it "breaks you into" S.H.I.E.L.D.'s data base and allows you to explore:
1) Marvel's cinematic history
2) The comic book history of The Avengers
3) Avenger personnel files and origins

DISC 3

*DVD Feature Film

*Audio Commentary (full-length) with director Joss Whedon. I've listened to it--very well done.

*Featurette--Assembling The Ultimate Team: the movie casting process, what the actor's bring to their roles, character interactions, etc, etc.

DISC 4

*Digital Copy (for Mac and PC)

*Digital Album

5) Black Veil Brides-Unbroken
6) Scott Weiland-Breathe
7) Redlight King-Comeback
8) Bush-Into The Blue
9) Evanescence-A New Way To Bleed (Photek Remix)
10) Pusher Jones-Count Me Out
11) Buckcherry-Wherever I Go
12) Five Finger Death Punch-From Out Of Nowhere
13) Cherri Bomb-Shake The Ground

FINALLY

*Technical Specifications:

Blu-Ray: 1080p High Definition Widescreen (1.78:1) * Audio: English 7.1 DTS-HD MA, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, 7.1 DTS-HDHR French, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks * Subtitles: English SDH, French and Spanish

DVD: Widescreen (1.78:1) Aspect Ratio * Audio: English, French, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital Language Tracks * Subtitles: English SDH, French and Spanish (Applies To Film Content Only)

Film's RUN TIME is 143 Minutes (Approx.)

Avengers.Marvel.com

****ALL SPECS AND RELATED INFO ARE TAKEN FROM THE BLU-RAY/DVD PACKAGING--WHICH FEATURES A NICE (DARE I SAY, "COLLECTIBLE?") HOLOGRAM OF ONE OF THE MOVIE'S (FULL TEAM ASSEMBLED) POSTERS ON THE FRONT.

Thank you again for reading.
2323 comments|356 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2012
I saw this movie back in May when it first came out in theaters in 2D. I received the 3D blu ray combo yesterday and watch it during the evening. I own about 25ish 3D movies right now and I think this one is probably the best film in 3D so far. There are so many things that pop out of the screen that you feel like you are battling again Loki too! And the scenes that do not have pop-outs look simply beautiful with nearly no ghosting. I am very sensitive to ghosting and I can notice it right away on a movie if it is present. The Avengers, however, do not fall under the category of such movies. I own Avatar in 3D as well and I still think The Avengers has a better 3D experience (I know, shocking). I hope this helps you when making your 3D blu ray movie purchases!
on September 23, 2012
This has to be one of the greatest films I have ever seen. After having the pleasure of seeing this movie eight times in theaters, I'm literally counting down the hours until I can snag this DVD!
Having seen all of the previous films leading up to this one, I can say my expectations wer extremely high. Now all I can say is that I wish I could go back and see it for the first time all over again. This film sprung me into a new world of comic books and all that Marvel has to offer, and I love it.

But more about the actual movie: Joss Whedon's direction was magnificent in every way. He really captured that Marvel film quality that all the previous movies had with that enticing combination of witty one-liners and bold action that you just won't see anywhere else. All of the characters really meshed together in a funny, shaky start that lead up to a fantastic blend of amazing heroes in the end. All of the actors did a phenomenal job in grasping their characters and taking them deeper than just what you saw. And might I say, Mark Ruffalo did a great job as Bruce Banner. He played the part of the closed off and awkward scientist well.

If you didn't see this in theaters, you missed out. Not only was the film amazing on the big screen, but the audience full of die-hards made it a real experience. I'd recommend this movie to anyone looking for a laugh, action, and and just plain fun. There also wasn't much language, which I thought was great for the younger audiences who will undoubtedly see this game changer if they haven't already.
on September 26, 2012
Don't look for too much character development here. These characters were developed extremely well in their respective solo ventures. Don't look for an intricately written plot. That is not what this film is about. What you do want to look for is F-U-N! That spells FUN... the dashes are silent for those serious, angry 2 & 1 star reviewers.

Why does this movie rival all other Hollywood films out there? Because it is simply a good time. No preaching. No depressing realism. No pretentious thematic contrivances used to help you ponder the depths of your soul. No. This is a movie: a audio/visual device designed to burn 2.25 hours of your life away just for the heck of it while having a good time in the process.

No single comic book or graphic novel fully develops 5 or more characters simultaneously. Multiple stacks of many different comics develop many characters and they will sometimes all come together for a fun single comic book story arc which is purely things blowing up and people fighting... and this is it.

Great movie. Not a whole lot of extras, but if it were up to me, I'd want a single Blu-ray disk for $15 with just the movie and nothing more. But that's just me.
on June 20, 2012
Hollywood did an amazing job with this movie! Even those who aren't into Marvel and superheroes will enjoy it. They took time to develop the characters (in case you hadn't seen the earlier solo movies.) My only complaint is that they didn't have Hawkeye included as much as I would have liked. :-/ But other than that, they had great visuals, so awesome action scenes, and lots of humor (can you say "Tony Stark"?) :-D It was surprisingly clean...I was very impressed. Out of all the Marvel movies, this is the best! Now I just hope they come out with a solo movie for Hawkeye and Black Widow. I'll be looking forward to seeing Captain America 2, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, and Avengers 2. (ALL of which they ARE coming out with, if you didn't already know that!!)
Here's some statistics: (from [...]) They made $200.3 million in JUST THREE days to become the biggest opening weekend of all time. Before it had been in theaters even a week, globally it had produced over $700 million!

Here are the dates for the future Marvel movies!! =) Can't wait!
Captain America 2: April 4, 2014!

Thor 2: November 15, 2013

Iron Man 3: May 3, 2013

Avengers 2: Already in development. Expect to see in a theater near you sometime in the no-so-far-off future!

Black Widow and Hawkeye solo movies also EXPECTED to come soon! :-)

BE SURE TO WATCH IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE CREDITS!!! Very important! (Unfortunately, I did not. YouTube saved me.)

To sum: There is some brief mild language. Violent content. Action-packed. Very exciting. Impossible to feel sleepy or bored when watching the Avengers. A must-see! :-) So what are you waiting for? It's definitely the best movie of the year so far, IMO.

But of course they haven't come out with The Hobbit yet. :)
44 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2012
I've been reading some comments complaining about how this isn't "the promised director's cut" and how they think it's unfair to release this now and then that cut later.

Joss Whedon, the director, has stated time and time again that the version released to theatres IS the director's cut, so there will not be a longer version of this film coming out in the future. If that would hold you back, don't be afraid, the chance of that happening is just about zero.

As for all the trolls stating that this film is overrated to then proceed to disect its flaws: it's a film that has 4 films leading into it, has 6 superheroes, a superpowered villain, aliens and Samuel L. Jackson. Even without reading a description or review of this film, you should know it's not going to have a traditional goal of storytelling (in the sense of getting to know a character, throwing some romance their way and then making them fight the bad guy). No, the goal of this film is to entertain as much as possible and that's exactly what it does. The characters ARE fleshed out as much as they can be over the course of 2 hours and 20 minutes of film in the hands of a very capable writer and director. The film is hilarious (as can be testified to by anyone who has seen it. I have never heard an audience in a theatre roar as much as they did during this film, and it's not even a comedy), it's fun, the action sequences are engaging and superbly filmed. It's a highly enjoyable climax to what the Marvel Cinematic Universe has spent the last decade building up. And that is why this film is --at the time I'm writing this review-- the number 3 best-selling film of all time.

In conclusion, this edition is definitely worth your money if you liked the film or if you want to see a fun, superpoweredly entertaining film. Your abs will be tired from the laughter-induced work out, but ultimately greatful.
on September 26, 2012
We all know how good this movie, so I'll just put what's inside the pack (description from the back):

Disc 1 - 3D Bluray feature film

Disc 2 - Bluray feature film + Bonus:
- The Avengers initiative: A Marvel second screen experience - Access the S.H.I.E.L.D. data base to immerse yourself in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, dive into the Avengers Comic Book History, and much, much more in this exclusive experience for your Ipad, iPhone or laptop.
- Marvel One-shot: Item 47 - Original Short film
- A Visual Journey - Discover the amazing sets, groundbreaking visual effects, and stunning cinematography of this phenomenal film.
- Marvel's First ever Gag Reel
- Deleted Scenes
- "Live to Rise" Soundgarden music video
- Plus all DVD bonus features

Disc 3 - DVD feature film + Bonus
- Assembling The Ultimate Team - The all-star cast shares the excitement of teaming up to bring these characters to life, and Director Joss Whedon discusses what each of them brought to their role.
- Audio Commentary - With Direct Joss Whedon

Disc 4 - Digital Copy of Feature Film

I have also uploaded the actual pics of the pack (3d lenticular slip cover, discs, phamplets) in the product page's customer images.

That's it. If you buy this in target, there's an additional exclusive disc: "It has an exclusive 90-minute documentary called "Building a Cinematic Universe." Its description reads "over 90 minutes of exclusive footage that takes you on a journey from the beginning of Marvel Studios to the evolution of its cinematic universe!" I was hoping Amazon also got some exclusive features, but that's it..

If you want to get the additional exclusive disc, get your copy from Target.. If not, Amazon's current price is 19.99, so it's a steal for a new release 3d bluray film.
on June 16, 2012
Being a fan of comics and the Marvel Universe, and after seeing all the other movies leading up to it, I obviously had pretty high hopes going into Avengers, and after finding out a while before that Joss Whedon was going to be directing it, I had a gut feeling it would be well done, because Joss Whedon is an awesome director. I went within the first week with my wife and a few of our friends...made a whole day out of it. I enjoyed just about every minute of that movie, from start to finish!

All of the characters were really well done, (it helped that each of the directors from Ironman, Hulk, Thor, and Chaptain America came on board to help advise & whatnot), and each actor played their parts very well. At first, my only one real concern was that Edward Norton was not going to be returning as Bruce Banner, but after watching the Avengers, I found that Mark Ruffalo was a bit better for the role in the end...he played the nerd card a bit better than Norton I thought.

The special effects were fantastic! I found myself totally pumped and on the edge of my seat during the action bits in the movie, and the effects done during those scenes were very well done in my opinion. In my head, my hopes for the quantity of action was about right on, maybe just a tad higher, but really not by much. The action sequences incorporated into this movie were just simply awesome!

The comedy added into this movie screamed Joss Whedon (looking back on Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Firefly and whatnot), and there was just the right amount in it. It was added in at just some of the right times, and they were great! I laughed pretty good in those scenes.

The story was well done, and is close enough to the comics as far as my recollection (it has been some time since I have read some Avengers comics). Obviously, not every little detail would be added in, because that's almost impossible to do when you're converting stuff from a story that spans quite a ways. I imagine it differs when transferring from comics as opposed to books too...there is so much detail in books, but at the same time, it's probably very difficult to transfer every detail within animation and whatnot as well. All in all, bravo on the story though. Of course, that's what you get too when you chose a director like Whedon who grew up reading comics and knows the material and has a real passion for that kind of stuff...you're going to get a good movie.

All in all, this is a well rounded superhero movie, and may well be the best one I've seen thus far, right up their with the Dark Knight, which is probably my favorite DC movie up to this point. If you have not seen this movie, please Please PLEASE do yourselves a favor and go watch it, comic fan or not...it's freakin great! Even the action fan who isn't a big comic book lover would enjoy this movie. I have already preordered about the best version of this movie that is going to be available, because it's worth it...even with the 3D, although I don't have 3D capability. I don't really care...it's worth it in my opinion, because this was such a kick@$$ movie. Definitely check it out!