Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

Cincinnati-based Walk the Moon self-released an enticing album late 2010 called "i want! i want!", which created some buzz, primirily due to the can't miss-must see video that went viral for the band's break-out song "Anna Sun". It didn't take long for major labels to come knocking at the door, and the band ultimately signed with RCA. Now finallly comes the band's major label-debut album.

"Walk the Moon" (11 tracks; 43 min.) starts off with several re-recorded songs from its self-released album with "Quesadilla" and "Lisa Baby", the latter being a a prime example of what makes Walk the Moon such an enjoyable band: smart guitar hooks, heavy drums-and-bass, plus a can't miss sing-along beat. "Next in Line" is the first of 5 brand new songs on here (the older songs are rerecorded with the current line-up, of which lead singer Nicolas Petricca os the only remaining original member). Then comes the band's signature song "Anna Sun", which by now sounds so throroughly familiar, yet still feels fresh. Other standouts among the new songs are "Tightrope" and, even better, "Shiver Shiver", which Petrucci singing falsetto but the underlying grooves are just massive and fun. The only surprise on here for me would be "Iscariot", not one of the band's better songs and feeling out of place due to slow/pensive (instead I woud've included "Me + All My Friends" or "The Liftaway"). "Fixin'" is another great new song. Things finish up with the now-classic "I Can Lift a Car", which also is a perfect summary of the band in one song.

In all, this is a boisterous and fun album, with hardly a weak moment in it. But to get the full Walk the Moon experience, you need to see these guys in concert. I've seen them a bunch of times in and around CIncinnati in the last 18 months, and a good time is always guaranteed. Do not miss them if you have a chance to catch these guys live! Meanwhile "Walk the Moon" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on June 19, 2012
I was surprised to learn that Walk the Moon was a band that originated in the States. Something about the band's sound conjures up memories of Blur (circa PARKLIFE). Their selftitled album is full of electronic rock anthems; it's poppy, fun, and exciting. The slippery guitar riffs, the distorted bass, the pounding drums -- it all makes for layered music that is very accessible and really engaging. It's a great major-label debut - this band is going to find an even bigger audience than its previous ANNA SUN EP allowed.

The album opens with "Quesadilla," an introduction that begins with fluttering synthesizers before launching into a rolling Johnny Marr-esque guitar riff. "Lisa Baby" launches the band into a fun, poppy, electronic number. I was familiar with the Walk the Moon's breakout song "Anna Sun," but I have to admit that the rest of the album does a good job of matching this songs quality; it's not even the best song on this album. "Jenny," a Maroon 5-like track, sounds destined for play in dance-clubs. WALK THE MOON is consistently good, but I will agree with other reviewers that I wasn't crazy about "Iscariot," a slow track that doesn't quite pack a punch. The album is concluded with the fantastic "I Can Lift a Car;" a track that is optimistic and melodic. It ends WALK THE MOON with a calm, determined smile.

While this genre doesn't usually grab me, WALK THE MOON is fantastic; I loved this album. It's engaging, accessible, and energetic. This band is destined for big things. Fans of Young the Giant, Two-Door Cinema Club, Imagine Dragons, or Grouplove will find a lot here to enjoy. Standout tracks: "Lisa Baby," "Anna Sun," "Jenny," and "I Can Lift a Car." Sampling these songs here on Amazon will give you a good idea of what to expect from this album.
on November 27, 2012
I discovered Walk The Moon on my recent research of modern bands paying homage to the long lost classic 80's New Wave sound. I sampled some of their songs and felt they had some clear authenticity with great and obvious influences, so I bought the CD.

After listening to the album in its entirety, I can't help but feel there's still some unrealized potential here. You have some wonderfully upbeat and catchy songs that would sit nicely along some of the best from thirty years ago, the three best tunes having been made into very entertaining videos: "Anna Sun", "Tightrope" and "Next In Line". I couldn't help but be impressed when I saw the vocalist sporting a keytar, (Howard Jones would be so proud), and the bassist playing a guitar with a look and sound right out of Duran Duran's "Planet Earth" video. But I guess it is cyclical, so it may have (thankfully!!) been inevitable that the look and sound of New Wave (which was highly scoffed at during the miserably lifeless and colorless 90's) would return again.

But the potential of Walk The Moon is marred by, dare I say it..., juvenile lyrics about girls. OK, so you're young and in a perpetual state of arousal. That's super, but part of the charm of the 80's was that songs could be about any random subject, (telephone booths, construction sites, bugs, anything and everything). Part of the escape with New Wave was that it wasn't the same bland lyrical fodder found in mundane pop music of the time, or any time for that matter. So while the music of Walk The Moon can be very catchy, some songs are ruined by the samey subject matter. The song "Jenny" would have worked if it wasn't just a moderately clever wet dream, and by this point in the album it was just too much.

So while I can appreciate that these guys are young and still developing their identity, I'll be interested in seeing if the catchy tunes on the next album vary a bit in lyrical subject matter. I would be disappointed to see them go down adult contemporary blandness, like other New Wave revivalists Two Door Cinema Club seem to be doing on their second album, but I would like to see a bit more variety in the words on a future release, which I will investigate when the day comes.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2012
I have been waiting for their full length debut. This album is so strong!!! In today's world an artist releases an album with maybe two good to great songs if you are lucky. Not Walk the Moon, you get a lot for your $$ with this CD. It just grabs you from the beginning and never lets up. This is one of my favorite CD's so far this year.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2012
I stumbled upon this album while searching for music on my kindle fire. While I normally do not make digital purchases from the amazon store (such as music and apps) I have been checking recently for good deals. Earlier in the week I had purchased Frank Oceans's Channel ORANGE for three dollars. What a steal that was. So when I saw this album for three dollars I was instantly intrigued. From the original name to the catchy cover art, everything seemed in place for a great band. When I started listening to samples I was very surprised and pleased. I went ahead with the purchase which wasn't exactly a huge risk, but I still knew next to nothing about the band. The album only has 11 songs with around 43 minutes of music. Not exactly a huge album. However, I was impressed with every single song in the album. From popular "Anna Sun" to opener "Quesadilla" the album is loads of fun. What impressed me the most however was the track titled "Iscariot." While it feels slightly out of place because of the tempo and mood, it is easily my favorite song of the album. The progression is brilliant. I can't wait to hear more of this band's awesome music.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is my introduction to Walk the Moon. What a hot blast it is. "Anna Sun" is utterly addictive with its epic sound, throbbing guitars and voracious vocals, "What can I say, this house is falling apart; We got no money, be we got heart; We're gonna rattle this ghost town." Jenny is another of my favorites with its pulsing rhythm and shotgun lyric, "Jenny, got your number; and I got you for the summer; it's a bummer that things go fast, but these days have been running like sand through the hourglass." "Fixin'" hits the sweet spot with its mix of keyboards and guitar and those high melodic notes, "Don't even tell me where we are going, just walk by my side." "I Can Lift A Car" oozes through the speakers with a romantic pop, "You kiss me on the futon." Walk the Moon's self-titled CD is pure delight! Enjoy!
on August 22, 2012
I am in love with this *new* band. They are non stop fun, powered by their two drummers, one of whom is also the lead singer. The Cincinnati based band is quite different from other musicians I've heard lately, but the best way I can explain them is a more orthodox Panic! At The Disco with a cleaner and more enjoyable sound, plus a little bit of funk. Their most popular song is definitely Anna Sun, which is a seriously addicting song that is guaranteed to get stuck in your head... but my personal favorites are "I Can Lift a Car" and "Next in Line". I have heard dozens of new Albums in the past few months, from Pop Rock to Indy and Alternative, and I rank this one third only to the debuts of AWOLnation and Imagine Dragons. Thanks for reading, I hope you get the CD and you love it as much as I do.
on April 24, 2015
Debut album of an awesome up-and-coming band. Mainstream pop hooks mixed with awesome indy riffs and meaningful lyrics about girls with varying names. Love it.

This band is one of my new favorites. I great up listening to Green Day, then got into the likes of Saves the Day, Dashboard, New Found Glory, etc. Now I am into Vampire Weekend, these guys, and a bunch others. If you like Foster the People, you'd probably love Walk the Moon too.

on April 14, 2015
Ever since Imagine Dragons started the mainstream appeal of pop-indie bands, Walk the Moon has been among the best of the groups appearing. Their single Anna Sun is excellent and among the catchiest songs of the decade. I love the energy and positivity the guys brought out for their debut. If this record is any indication, they'll have a solid career. Other songs I really liked were Jenny and Iscariot.
on July 21, 2012
I've been waiting for Walk the Moon to come out with a CD since I discovered them a little over two years on Youtube. I love their music and unique sound. You can tell they have fun playing it, you can see it in person too if you ever get to see them in concert. Their debut album is great and I never got sick of it, just found even more favorite parts while listening to it. Can't wait for the next one!