Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Flavor Name: Buffalo|Size: 25-Pound|Change

on March 1, 2014
Let's be honest. Customer Dog Food reviews pretty much all have a big lie. Would you review a steak dinner based on how your hair looks a week later? It didn't give you the runs? Pretty crude standards. You can't know how good a dog food is.

Unless you taste it. You have to taste lots of dog foods. Otherwise, you better look for a good dog psychic.

Lucky you. I tried it for you. And Merrick Real Buffalo and Sweet Potato is definitely right up there. In fact, if I had to eat a dry dog food as actual food, I'd pick Merrick hands down. Lower class dog foods often have a cardboard like non-food texture and little flavor beyond maybe a mild sweetness (from the sugar and corn maybe). Really top end stuff - like Orijen Regional Red - have a beef bouillion quality. Actually too densely flavorful for human food, but wow do dogs go for it (I use that for dog treats. Too $ for every meal).

Merrick tastes kind of like a beefy wheat cracker. Maybe like meat flavored wheat thins. Really not bad. It doesn't have the sweetness and saltiness of a human snack food, but if you added salt & sugar, this stuff would sell!

Of course, you can't go just by human taste alone. In fact, the Orijen is probably a higher quality food than the Merrick, but is less human palatable. And many dog foods add scent just for owners. But I think you do get a sense of the richness and quality of the ingredients. A really good dog food just tastes like there's more stuff in that little bit 'o kibble.

Merrick has other things going for it too: I think the ingredients are better than in many dog foods. The Buffalo in this food is Bison (American Buffalo), according to Merrick, as opposed to some that are actually Indian Buffalo (as in Calcutta not Native Americans). It's relatively low fiber. For my dog, if I feed him as much of some brands as he needs, it goes right through him because of the higher fiber content. Fiber has a turbo effect on dogs because of their shorter intestines. After switching to Merrick, I could increase his calories with no problem.

Merrick is a premium food, but not as expensive as some. And I think you would have to pay about 20% more to get the same protein content in a food with the same quality of ingredients. The Amazon price (currently 49.99 on 3/1/14) seems good to me. As good as I can get anywhere local - and with free (prime) shipping.
77 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2013
I recently switched to Merrick after my 'fave' food, Evo ancestral diet, had three recalls in four months and was 'off-shelf' a considerable time between recalls. Like many pet owners, I buy high end kibble because I'm looking for both the ingredient and for a special product--in my case, I want only US-sourced meats and vegetables with no 'fillers'. I have a deep distrust of Chinese produced products (especially after the melamine thing) and will switch off any foodstuff--pet or human--from China (and now that the Chinese have bought US pork-processing companies, I'll shun their products, too). Since P&G bought Evo (and three other premium brands) they have had multiple recalls...don't know if they have changed their sourcing or switched from meats to meat by-products, etc...but Merrick meets all my needs for a dog food. It has premium ingredients and is produced in the US of ingredients locally sourced in the US. My dogs like and accept it--the kibble size is a little small for my older (14 yo) large dog, who has difficulty 'mouthing' a lot of foods he used to love...but he can get enough down to keep him healthy and a little overweight. I think Merrick is a great deal for those of us wanting 'local sourcing' and production...with Amazon prime, the 20# bags are delivered to my PO with no charge for shipping...you can't beat that, and it surely is better than running from store to store looking for the 'right' brand. With what I save in gas/time it ends up being cheaper than nonpremium dog foods!
on June 12, 2013
UPDATE: 7/21/15
Today, Nestle Purina PetCare purchased Merrick Pet Care ( ee the annucement: http://bit.ly/1CNNYAv). I cannot with good conscience recommend anything that company puts their name on. Purina has a long history of animal testing, chemicals and its food have even recently been implicated in thousand animal's deaths. For this reason, I am revising my 5-star to 1-star.
_____________

Merrick Grain Free Duck and Sweet Potato is a winner in our home. We have two big dogs - one is an allergy dog and the other a senior, and Merrick GF has exceeded our expectations for both. This food is grain free, by-product free for the allergy kid and has good amounts of a glucosamine & chondroitin (supplements for joint health) for my senior. (Plus - and this might be TMI, our seniors stool is much improved on Merrick.) Our "kids" coats are soft and shiny and the vet says their diet is everything he could hope for for any of his clients.

Notable things about Merrick Grain Free Duck & Sweet Potato:
* Made in USA (never any ingredients from China)
* Grain-free, GMO-free (GMO = genetically modified organism)
* Above-average protein and fat when compared to a typical dry dog food.
* contains skin and coat supplements - omega-3 fatty acids (.4%) & omega-6 (4.50%).
* contains joint health supplements - glucosamine hydrochloride (1200 mg/kg) & chondroitin sulfate (1200 mg/kg)
* contains chelated minerals, minerals that have been chemically attached to protein. This makes them easier to absorb.

I only feed 5-star rated foods - as rated by [...] but this food has stood out against many of other 5-star foods we've tried both in cost and my pup's over all satisfaction. We also feed Merrick Turducken Dog Food 13.2 oz (12 Count Case) wet food in additon to the dry. They just gooble this stuff up! Enthusiastically recommended.
44 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2014
Dog food for our family is a continuous research project. I always try to make sure we have the best possible kibble for our Mastiffs. It works! Our big boy is solid as a rock and 251 lbs. Our puppy who gets the Merrick Buffalo, is 5 months old and 85 lbs. His coat is awesome, his stools are perfect and we are able to feed less of this highly nutritious food to achieve the desired caloric intake and completely satisfy his nutritional requirements.

The Dog Food Advisor Website rates this food 5 out 5 stars (there aren't that many 5 star foods available) and my older dog food grading system works out an A++ for this food based on a system where you add points for good ingredients and deduct points for bad ingredients. Whether you decide to try this food or not always avoid feed with any kind of byproducts or corn or corn meal.

We do supplement the dry food from time to time with cooked sweet potato, cooked pumpkin, or cooked poultry. However, the Merrick is so complete, we do this less than with other dry foods. Furthermore, the Merrick is so tasty that they do not require add ins to make the food more palatable as with many dry foods. In fact, they love this food so much we are able to use the kibbles as training treats. :-)
review image review image
on February 27, 2013
If you want less shedding and a great shiny coat on your dog, then this is the ticket. I bought one bag and my dog loved it but it was pretty expensive so I switched to another brand (well known) and within two weeks my dog's coat was dull and the shedding was intense. So I've switched back to the Merrick brand and in just that two weeks, we are back to minimal shedding and a glossy coat. My German Shepherd loves this stuff!
on March 24, 2014
I'm the proud momma of an aging miniature American Eskimo and a young adult APBT with food allergies (grain and chicken). The Eskie needs a small kibble otherwise she cannot chew the food, the pibble cannot have any poultry byproducts or he gets a terrible rash and grain causes IBS symptoms. Ideally, they need to be on the same food because feeding them separately is a whole other headache.

I spent weeks pouring over dog food reviews, feeding guidelines and ingredient lists that ultimately contained things I was trying to avoid. Once I succeeded in finding a brand of food without grain OR chicken/poultry, the trick was finding one that would not break my budget; that brought me to Merrick Texas Beef. This food is a godsend for my mismatched pups. They both have improved energy levels, smaller feces, lower breath and skin odor, ZERO allergy symptoms from my APBT and my elderly Eskimo has no problems eating the very small kibbles.

A 25lb bag lasts my two dogs just under 4 weeks. If you're on the hunt for a high quality food for your dog, give this one a shot.
on August 12, 2013
I Purchased Merrick Grain Free Real Texas Beef + Sweet Potato Recipe after researching a variety of Grain Free dry dog foods. I have a rescue Chow Chow (Mika) who had an allergy/allergies resulting in a lot of scratching. She was losing fur and getting hot spots. One possible source of her allergies I found in my research is dog food which contains grain. So in my search ([...] I found some excellent choices in grain free dog food, and Merrick in my opinion was one of the top choices in premium quality grain free dog food. My Chow Mika is choosy about her dog food and I was a little worried about buying Merrick's and her turning her nose up at it. Well the first bowl she ate just fine, She really liked it! (Big sigh of relief). She has in the month (I purchased this dog food the 13th July 2013) since purchasing Merrick's continued eating without any fuss, and she has stopped the scratching thankfully. So the grain in her dog food was the source of her allergy, and Merrick's grain free dog food helped and she likes the flavor and taste of her kibble. So I am very happy with this dog food and I very much recommend it to every one who has a dog with an allergy, or their dog is choosy about their food and hard to please. I believe in feeding a high quality kibble to my dog, and all of Merrick's ingredients are of locally sourced, (based in Hereford, Texas) or USA in origin according to their website. In addition to the Texas Beef, this dog food also has Buffalo, and Lamb meat as sources of protein as noted in the ingredients. Also no Chicken meat for those who have dogs with Chicken allergies. No fillers and no by products. Also as a surprise bonus my dog Mika after about 2-3 weeks on this food has no more "dog breath"! Her breath is by no means "minty fresh" but it doesn't smell unpleasant either as it previously did.

Ingredients: Deboned Beef, Beef Liver, Lamb Meal, Sweet Potato, Peas, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Natural Flavors, Potato Protein, Potato, Deboned Buffalo, Deboned Lamb, Flaxseed, Whey Protein Concentrate, Apples, Salmon Oil, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Minerals (Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product.
on September 9, 2013
This is a 5-star food for my dogs. They absolutely love it and eat every kibble! I love knowing that the food is made with high quality ingredients...no grains that cause allergies or by-products. I find comfort in the knowledge that Merrick manufactures their food in their own plants and don't share their facilities with other dog food manufacturers where cross contamination can take place from lower quality ingredients and that they use only American produced ingredients....nothing from China. This is one of the very few dog foods that contains no poultry for my poultry sensitive pup. I highly recommend this food!
on August 25, 2013
1) all made in USA, in Texas — OK!
2) no wheat or genetically modified corn — super!
3) dog likes it
4) his coat is in good shape

Yes, I would recommend this food and will buy again. My local pet store doesn't carry it, so Amazon to the rescue!
on November 5, 2013
I have changed from Blue Buffalo to Merrick and what a difference , my dogs are doing great on it. The dogs coats are shiny, they eat everything in the bowl, their stools are firm , and I've had absolutely no digestive problems since switching from Blue to Merrick...the main reason I just love Merrick is it is 100% made in the good old USA !!!!

UPDATE: Just an FYI for you dog lovers out there Merrick was recently bought out by Purina