Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

on September 11, 2013
This food is quite possibly the highest quality food you can find. I've done a lot of research because I thought my lab had food sensitivities. Turned out to be something else, but finding this food was something good that came out of everything. Take a second to read the ingredients in this food. Nothing artificial, no fillers, just 100% high quality nutrition for your dog. And it makes a difference. My lab's coat is ridiculously soft... and its gross to talk about, but normal and minimal poop. Lesser quality foods often means runny poop, and usually, more of it because you have to feed them more. I have an 80 pound lab, and he only requires 2 cups a day of this food. Its so dense with nutrition that's all he needs. Less in = less out. Don't necessarily go by what's printed on the bags for how much to feed. That was actually what I thought was a food allergy with my lab at first. He had loose stools.... but turns out I was overfeeding him. Cut back on food and everything was fine.

Its just a great food. Made here in the USA... nothing from China. Highly recommend.
on July 21, 2015
EDIT TO UPDATE: Merrick has been acquired by Nestle. I am no longer recommending this food as freely as before. In the press notice they said that the recipe and day to day operations would not change but then also said something about now being able to take advantage of global resources. I loved this food since none of it's ingredients were sourced from China. Now? I am worried. I will keep my fingers crossed that the quality and attention to the needs of their consumers don't slip but.... time will tell. Until then my unabashed 5 star rating is a three, a very worried three.

I have five dogs and two of them have food allergies. Finding a food that I can safely feed to all of them is hard. It takes some time and research and a lot of trial and error. I have tried everything from Pedigree to Nutro and nothing bowled them over and some of them made them sick.

We have been on this food for 3 weeks and it is amazing the difference we are seeing everyday. All have lost weight, their coats look glossy and feel softer, they all have tons of energy and they give me a bad time if their meals are even 5 minutes late. Of all of that, if only their energy levels had increased I would have continued to buy this food. They are all like pups again; playing and running and wrestling, not to mention all the time they play in the yard.

Before this food, they were couch potatoes and two of them were weakening physically and coming up lame. I scheduled an appointment with the vet for them to be assessed. Finally, it struck me that when I feel weak is when my blood levels are lower than they should be. I began to research for a higher quality food ( I was feeding Nutro) that I could afford without having to offer an organ on the black market and settled on this one when I read the reviews.

I was shocked at the amount of shed hair that I was finding in my dustpan everyday. That has decreased somewhat and I hope that it is a continuing trend. I brush everyone everyday and they get regular baths and still I couldn't keep up with the hair loss. It was disturbing. I was beginning to think I was very soon going to have 5 bald dogs.

On the poop front, I see less that I used to with the other foods. The color is better and they have less trouble with digestion ie farting, burping, and other wonderful stuff. I no longer fear that my house will be declared a source of air pollution by the authorities based on my neighbors complaining about the gag inducing gas fumes wafting over their houses.

I feed this food with a spoonful of gravy over the top just to moisten it. They love gravy (who doesn't?) and never fail to lick the bowls clean. I also leave kibble down in a bowl so that if anyone wants to they can snag a kibble or two. The smaller kibble size is wonderful! They can easily fit two or three pieces in their mouths and pack it to a bed to have a leisurely snack. One thing I have noticed but cannot attribute directly to the food, is their water consumption is up. However, we are in the middle of summer and are having a heat wave so..... I just thought I would mention it in case that might be a problem that comes up later on for us. Time will tell.

This food is the best we have ever used and I really hope that we continue to see better health, increased energy and more.
on March 7, 2014
My two large dogs were refusing to eat everything I brought home. I was looking for a good dry dog food that they would eat and they both LOVE the Merrick. I wish that the price was better because I am going through two bags each month and that is pricey, but the quality is the best I have ever seen and I am no longer searching for something that they will eat.
on May 28, 2013
It's hard to imagine that as a dog owner of one and a half years that I would put so much thought into my pet's bowel movements. Well when we purchased him from a very well respected breeder she was relatively adamant on the brand of food we gave him, namely Purina Pro Plan Selects Chicken & Rice-- a "premium" dog food. After a few months of having him he appeared to not like the food as much as when we got him so we switched gradually to Purina Pro Plan Selects Beef & Barley. He loved it! Over this time though his poop was relatively inconsistent-- typically normal but every once in awhile watery and when solid very dark in color.

Purina discontinued this food recently and instead of picking up a different ingredient we just switch brands-- to Merrick. Again, pet owners will understand the satisfaction of seeing your animal produce healthy looking poop. Now the poop is typically of very good consistency and a much more neutral color (not dark).

We love our dog, he's always been very affectionate and had a healthy level of energy-- the food hasn't seemed to been able to improve on what can't be improved. As I've already said, though, this food is worth it in terms of peace of mind when walking him and knowing he is healthy intestinally. The price isn't any better or worse than the other food was, anyway!
on November 11, 2012
My mini schnauzer and shih-poo absolutely love this food! This is the first healthy food I have found that they will actually devoure and eat every meal! And, believe me, I have tried a lot of different dry kibble. Ignore the reviewer who's only complaint is the kibble size. It's not Merrick's fault that her dog is a gulper. I think it is the perfect size for any breed and it sounds so fresh and crunchy when my dogs chew it. I would give it 10 stars if I could and I plan on trying other flavors because Merrick uses the same basic formula in all their kibble so you can do that without your pampered pet getting stomach upset, I know, I've done it. Yay Merrick! great job on this kibble!
on February 11, 2016
I switched our dog over the Merrick dog food and what a difference in her. Her coat is super shiny and she has energy and she looks great, she is a 12 year old black lab. I have been feeding her the Classic lamb and thought I would try a different flavor for her - it didn't work out so good. It's weird how just trying a different flavor even though it's the same brand can create havoc on a dogs system. She immediately didn't feel well, she was having bad gas, and throwing up (not much just some right after she would eat) --- I switched back to the lamb and no problems. My son has 2 black labs and he feeds the beef with no problems so I gave him the bag.
on January 25, 2016
It doesn't need to meet my expectations as much as it needs to satisfy Madeline and Little Guy. These two are very finicky eaters and they gobble Merrick Classic Beef, Whole Barley, etc. up. I have tried many brands of dry dog food and donated them after the fur babies refused to eat them.
I have always purchased dog food in small amounts, but this one I can buy in larger quantities because they always eat it with gusto!
on June 16, 2014
I have an American bulldog mix that I rescued a few months ago. She was skin and bone for her body structure considering how muscular she's supposed to be. I bought her Merrick brand dog food from petco because I was looking for a good food with a high fat and protein content, granted it was one of the most expensive (in-store), within a week she looked to be to a healthy weight and her quality of life drastically increased. I was very impressed with the food and ingredients but unfortunately I didn't buy it again as it was very expensive, even for a small bag. So I resorted to some of the cheaper yet decent brands at petco. I didn't get the idea till this past Friday night the 13th to look for a good priced Merrick dog food on Amazon. $50 for 30lb bag is very reasonable especially for THIS food. I expected the satisfaction of the quality of the food because I already knew the results it produced for my dog, but what really blew me away was the SPEED OF DELIVERY. I placed the order Friday night the 13th and the order confirmation said it was going to take 1-2 weeks, but then I got an email confirmation the next day that it had already shipped. So I thought ok well the manufacturers must be far away and it will get here in about a week. Well Monday, today, rolls around and sure enough as I was about to run to the store to pick up some dog food to hold her over, I saw it had been delivered!!!! I didn't realize that a Merrick manufacturer must be really close to where I live on the south east coast. All I have to say is WAY TO GO MERRICK AND AMAZON for ensuring the delivery of a quality product in a timely manner! Very happy!!!
on September 18, 2015
My three dogs all eat every morsel at one sitting. That's unusual for them with dry food. I used Dog Food Advisor to find foods that were five-star rated. I bought several different brands and flavors. My dogs chose Merrick Classic Adult Real Beef from all of the choices. They have continued to eat it six nights a week. I give them a special treat of wet dog food on Sundays.
on May 28, 2015
My dog loves this! Well, she isn't super excited about any dog food but this one is one that she eats without glaring at me. Seriously. She has so many allergies and this one is by far the best that she likes and eats willingly and it doesn't just sit in her bowl until she is so hungry she'll eat anything. This disappears regularly (she doesn't like to eat in front of people...I know, weird). I highly recommend this product.