Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM

VINE VOICEon July 26, 2013
The irony of titling their new album "Overexposed" must have been lost on Adam Levine and Maroon 5. The album is overproduced, over-compressed and over-just-about-everything. Like so many bands in the current pop zeitgeist, they decided that they needed to conform to current popular production memes, which means having a guest rapper-of-the-moment (Wiz Khalifa, adding bonus profanities to "Payphone"), auto-tune, writer/producers of the now (Max Martin, Ryan Tedder) and multiple other steps that rob the band of any of their previous individual qualities. Take Adam out of the equation, and this would be another generic, over-compressed/produced pop-album.

The saving grace is Adam, who's white-boy soul is on a par with Daryl Hall at this point. Given the material he has to work with, he milks every hook and croon he can. Good numbers like "Lucky Strike," "Lady Killer" and even the obscenity laced "Payphone" stick like rubber cement. I'll make a quick point to say that I'm not a prude, but for a band that seemingly prides itself on their pop craftsmanship, the swearing in "Payphone" and "Tickets" just seems more gratuitous than effective, like the band has to prove how hard they are. But when you're capable of making really good light funk that hits its groove like "Fortune Teller" and "Doin' Dirt," you don't need to prove you're anything but a great pop band.

Which is what, ultimately, Maroon 5 is. "Overexposed" hits all its marks seemingly without effort, with craftsmanship that most any other band would sell their bubblegum machines for. Adam's unique voice gives the band enough identity to cut through the generic sounding production here, and when they horn-pump Prince's slinky "Kiss" (a bonus track on the deluxe version), they demonstrate that they're above the cookie-cutter sound that plagues this album.
on September 11, 2012
I have been a fan of Maroon 5 since their debut album, which came out when I was in my teens. They were fantastic, catchy without being bubblegum poppy, and sexy without it being forced down your throat. However, with the new success of Adam on The Voice and this new 'pop' album (which please, they've always made a form of pop rock, you are only finally admitting it), I feel like the music is now suffering. This was a good buy for about $3 ($5 but I had free amazon dollars from a previous mp3 purchase) but to be honest I listen to maybe a third of the album.

The Keepers:
One More Night
Lucky Strike
The Man Who Never Lied
Doin' Dirt

This is a far cry from She Will Be Loved, Harder to Breath, and Misery. 4 songs out of 12 that were truly worth it, and the song writing has suffered. I can't even begin to rant about how horrid Payphone is. Mediocrity from a favorite band... I guess not so much a favorite anymore :(
on July 1, 2012
With Adam Levine and Company at the height of their popularity, naming the new album OVEREXPOSED sends mixed signals. The band realizes that here, at the peak of their fame, they are at their most poppy. Do they regret it? Do they embrace it? Coming off of the heels of the massive hit "Moves Like Jagger," Levine has said that the song revitalized the band's career; it gave them a direction. Now, the band plans to capitalize on that direction with their newest release. This new creative direction has turned out to be pretty polarizing with fans of the band.

The band that wrote SONGS ABOUT JANE is barely recognizable here. The light indie-rock that brought the band into the public eye is gone, replaced with a slick, uptempo version of modern disco. Levine would even state of the album: "It's very much an old-fashioned disco tune." Not that it is necessarily a bad thing; the production and writing here is so slick and streamlined that all of these songs sound like they could appear on the radio. The band doesn't feel out of place -- it's a sound that works for them. There's a ton of influences here: reggae, blues, funk, indie rock, pop, etc... but it's all been covered with a glossy sheen of production. The biggest issue with this production is that most of the songs sound very similar; and if you aren't thrilled with their new sound, this album will really wear out its welcome. The OVEREXPOSED opens with "One More Night" (upcoming single), a solid song that sets the tone and mood of the album. Second track, "Payphone," has already received a ton of radioplay, and deservedly so: it's a fun, catchy hit. "Ladykiller" is a funky, disco-tinged song that is as catchy as it is littered with falsetto. OVEREXPOSED feels like the band is having a good time trying out this more mainstream direction, pouring their influences into more conventional formats. Unfortunately, the album doesn't quite hit the heights of its first half.

Fans who were hoping for a continuation of the direction seen in HANDS ALL OVER are in luck. However, if you were hoping for a return to the funk-tinged IT WON'T BE SOON BEFORE LONG or the personal SONGS ABOUT JANE, chances are you will probably be disappointed with this new record. If you enjoyed last year's massive hit "Moves Like Jagger," check this album out. Highlight tracks to sample/download: "Payphone," "One More Night," "Ladykiller," and "Beautiful Goodbye."

Additional Release Info: The deluxe edition of OVEREXPOSED comes with three extra songs, including the excellent cover of Prince's "Kiss." The other two songs are good, but I would only recommend for Maroon 5 fans interested in their new direction. You can find the deluxe edition here: OVEREXPOSED (Deluxe Version) [Explicit].
on July 9, 2012
I listened to this album on repeat for 2 weeks. I loved "Songs about Jane" and while you would be comparing apples and oranges while talking about the two albums, they are similar in the stories the songs tell. The songs are about love and heartache and the heart break and all the darkness inbetween.
on July 3, 2012
A lot of critical things have been said about this album (see sampling below), but I think the most accurate and important one is this: "On much of the album, Maroon 5 barely sound like a band at all."

That's because Maroon 5 no longer really exists. They are no longer creating their own music. They recognized that all of the current hit music falls under categories like "disco-flavored dance-floor filler" or "dance-pop glitz," and they knew to sell songs they'd need to hire outside help. Who'd they hire? Look up names like Max Martin, Ryan Tedder, Shellback, and Benny Blanco--these people are the new "Maroon 5," and they are also Pink and Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson and Usher and Britney Spears and Taio Cruz and Adele and OneRepublic and Gym Class Heroes and Sean Paul and Avril Lavigne and Justin Bieber and Ke$ha and Flo Rida and Pitbull. I'm not making this up--it is a fact that almost all of the music we hear on the radio is created by the same few guys whose names you probably haven't heard.

I think it would be fair to say that the Billboard 100 has never been in such a sad, homogenous state, and I think it would also be fair to say that the release of this album confirms that modern hit music is vapid and soulless--it is little more than brand names selling catchy hooks created by anonymous dance-pop gurus.

Adam Levine himself admits that Overexposed "is definitely our poppiest album yet," and he admits that he has a "love/hate relationship with it." Maybe he'll get back to doing what he loves if we stop buying dance-pop glitz.

---

Other things that have been said about this album:

* "Every song sounds as if it was custom made to play behind the montage of someone's 'journey' in a TV talent show." (The Independent)
* "It seems more like a collaboration between Swedish hitmakers and AutoTune than between Levine and members of his band." (The Washington Post)
* "Even with various superstar producers on board, including Max Martin and Ryan Tedder, the album is stridently homogenous." (Boston Globe)
* "Overexposed is a hit-seeking missile that doesn't just slaughter Maroon 5's reputation for sincerity, it festoons its corpse with glitter." (The Washington Post)
on August 4, 2013
...But the Maroon 5 charm is still there. I think most people that don't like this album (mostly) just don't like the genre of dance-pop. That's fine and dandy really--Maroon 5 did take a HUGE risk here--but to me it worked. The album (at least production-wise) is mostly upbeat, bright and sparkly in the right places. NOTE: If you don't like your music with a heavy dance aesthetic please skip this release and maybe try one of their previous efforts (which were more pop rock).

I got the deluxe version and like almost every song. In fact the only song that I don't like much and sometimes skip over is "The Man Who Never Lied" which is serious filler to me. The rest of the songs are at least good IMO. The actual emotional Maroon 5 stamp is still all over this album: You mostly have songs speaking on the turmoil that relationships sometimes bring.

My favorite tracks are "Doin' Dirt" which is the most addictive number on the album, "Beautiful Goodbye" (the last track on the standard), the angry-but-catchy first single "Payphone" featuring Wiz Khalifa, the throwback tune "Wasted Years" and of course the beautiful cover ballad, "Let's Stay Together". The two latter tunes are exclusively on the deluxe version and I think "Let's Stay Together" (which is crooned expertly by Adam) is worth getting it for alone. "Wasted Years" while good is more of an acquired taste beat-wise. It's different from all the other tracks on the album.

All in all I really do love this piece of work. I don't think it's their best but it is damn good still. It's mostly upbeat but there are a couple of ballads and mid-tempos in there too which definitely give it balance. If you like the singles on the radio a lot then you MUST GET THIS ALBUM. I put it off for a while because Maroon 5 did change it up a lot but it turns out this album still works. For all those saddened by how they switched genres almost completely I read in an article that the material they have come up with so far for their next album is more serious and some of it could even be described as "dark". So take that as you will.

4.4 stars.
on August 2, 2014
I like Adam Levine and Maroon 5. Thinking back on the hi-jinks Adam has played on "The Voice" on TV amuses me all over again. So I especially like this disk, both for those memories and the songs contained therein. The "explicit version" merely contains some mild naughty language, which most high-schoolers will have already heard, but a parent might want not to buy this "explicit" version for a middle schooler. I can happily recommend this collection to adults.
on May 4, 2013
This album is good pop music, but I miss the Maroon 5 of old; the Maroon 5 that produced songs like "Hands All Over" (on repeat on my iPod), "Give a Little More" and "Sweetest Goodbye."

"Overexposed" is a good album; there wasn't a song that I could say I didn't enjoy--as a matter of fact, I purchased the album for "One More Night"--but I wish they didn't have to fall victim to the fickle listener and traipse into trendy pop music. I'm sure they would beg to disagree--after all, this album fared better than their previous effort and I'm pretty sure all of the singles have made it into the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100, which is more than can be said for their prior records.

I'm hoping thanks to their resurgence, they'll return to their roots ("Songs About Jane" is one of my all-time favorite albums), but I refuse to not give credit where it is due; therefore, I have to say this is a good album and I'd recommend it.
on August 6, 2015
This is a much appreciated addition to inventory of things that make my life as easy as one would like to have it. As a person who depends a lot on external sources for my professional fulfillment, I am very satisfied.
on November 13, 2015
Explicit lyrics don't bother me, as I have no children around. That being said, sometimes I don't see the need for them, but it didn't stop me from buying this. I'm a HUGE Maroon 5 fan, and this is a great CD.