Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on October 28, 2012
I have made the whoopie pies, the hamburger casserole, the pumpkin bread, and a few more items. They have all turned out delicious! This book has recipes that use ingredients that are found around most homes, as the Amish use what they have. You won't have to go buy any fancy spices and spend a fortune only to use a pinch and throw it away. If you are looking for budget friendly, traditional cooking, this is for you. Highly recommend this book. I got it from the local library and am thinking of buying a copy.
on February 8, 2013
WOW, I have thoroughly enjoyed this cookbook, and have shared it with my Amish friend. We've been using recipes from it, and have been so happy with the results! Upon receipt, it was like new, and it was received before I expected it. Great all around transaction and product!
on November 22, 2013
I read the preview of this book available via the "Look Inside" option and saw the positive reviews, it seemed ok, so I bought it. Really the only good thing about this book is the baking section and the little snippets of stories from the author's novels (which I have not read). The snippets reminded me of the Anne of Green Gables books and the recipes included in the preview were basic, old fashioned, and entirely from scratch. Once I read the full book, I was really dissappointed in how many of the recipes used processed foods. Her cheese dip uses American Cheese. The Crispy Chicken recipe uses Cornflakes. Her casseroles use Cream of Mushroom soup. And some of the recipes are just bad, she fries chicken in butter?? Butter will burn and smoke up your whole kitchen! Some aspects of this book remind me of something that would make a "first cookbook" kind of gift for a young adult, but with some of the cooking techniques in the book just outright wrong, I am not even so sure of that.

I really like the idea of the book, but the execution fell flat. When I buy a cookbook that says "from 3 generations of Amish" I expect things to be made from scratch, not from processed garbage.
22 comments6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2013
A GOOD VARIETY OF AMISH COOKING.MOST OF THE RECIPES ARE EASY TO MAKE IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AS WRITTEN.
on February 18, 2013
Love using the many recipes found in this book. Lots of recipes use ingredients already on hand. Tasty and delicious meals.
on May 26, 2013
I like all the old recipes like my mom and grandma made. I can now make them just like they did so long ago.
on August 15, 2013
I have tried a few of the recipes included in this book and they have been easy to make with ingredients I already had on hand. I'm sure I will continue to use this book.
on January 9, 2013
Have already tried some of the recipes, which are easy to follow and very yummy!! Also love the books by this same writer.
on September 25, 2013
Love the book. I have made several things from it already and the food turns out great every time. Homemade goodness
on November 5, 2014
I liked and will try several recipes in this Amish cookbook. I don't know if there was a problem when converting this book into the Kindle ebook version or not. The pages doesn't seem to be correctly formatted.

Good recipes...