Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on November 5, 2012
I read a lot of reviews for this movie before watching it myself. In the end, they all boiled down to a few basic criticisms, which I kept in mind as I made my own appraisal. Here are the major problems people seem to have had with Marc Webb's "Amazing Spider-Man", along with my responses.

1. The reboot was too soon.

This more or less depends on your point of view. True, the last Spidey movie was in 2007, a mere five years ago - more than long enough to warrant another Spider-Man film; not exactly long enough to call for a complete reboot. On the other hand, I think a lot of people would agree that it's been more like eight years since the last GOOD Spider-Man film. I loved Raimi's work with the character, though I do criticize him on some minor points. But in the end, he really dropped the ball with Spider-Man 3, running a lot of good characters into the ground and painting himself into a corner with two hours of very messy plotting. In the end, whether a reboot was necessary per se is a matter of personal preference. But even if you think it wasn't necessary, is it fair to write off the new movie completely as a result? I don't believe it is.

2. We've heard it all before.

Yes and no. This is another interpretation of Spider-Man's origin story. But it's very different from Raimi's first Spider-Man film. More importantly, it's a well-done interpretation. At the heart of this "origin story" is Peter Parker's development from a somewhat geeky, trouble-making teen into a true hero. This transition happened far more quickly in Raimi's first movie, mainly because Maguire's Peter had a more strongly-developed moral compass to begin with. Neither version is objectively inferior in my opinion, but I do have a personal preference for the deep character drama achieved by Webb. The point is, yes, this is the spider-bite story again, but it's a good spider-bite story.

3. The hype about "secrets being revealed" was a big lie.

Yes, it was. This is most definitely not "the untold story". Significant-sounding lines from the trailers such as "Do you think what happened to you was an accident?" and "If you want the truth about your parents, Peter, then come and get it" didn't even feature, which I'll admit kind of annoyed me. That amounts to false advertising in my opinion. I was very happy with what I got, but it wasn't what I was promised. The thing is, there is some big mystery going on in this movie with Peter's parents. However, their story doesn't feature very heavily in this first movie. The elements of it that do were given away in the trailers. So don't bother watching this solely to find out more about Richard and Mary Parker. Their story will have to wait until the sequel.

4. The villain was weak.

My main problem with this film's take on Dr. Curtis Connors was that it diverged so heavily from the comics. The Connors I remember was an intriguing villain because he was a father and a husband who transformed himself into a monster in a quest for healing. Billy Connors and his mom aren't around here. Instead there's a bachelor, British-accented Connors who frequently runs the risk of going boldly where so many villains have gone before. Fortunately, Rhys Ifans' performance is good enough to prevent this happening most of the time. Connors' motivation makes sense overall, though little time is given to truly flesh it out. Perhaps if his mysterious connections to Norman Osborn had been explored in greater detail, he would have been more memorable.

5. The Lizard's design was flawed.

Most people who didn't care for the Lizard's look seem to describe it as "too human". The face certainly is. It wasn't really that scary. I've seen alternate designs which the production team ultimately abandoned which I think would have been a lot better. So basically I would agree with this criticism, but for me it was a minor quibble.

6. It had too much teenage angst and Twilight-esque drama.

Actually, it had none. The teenage interactions were more mature than I'm used to seeing in film or TV, with even Flash Thompson evolving from a typical bully into a likable character over time. There are a few moments of stereotypical rebellion from Peter, but they lead rapidly into the tragic events that change him, so they're quickly forgotten. Despite the early publicity saying that this movie would be "darker", I don't think I'd describe it that way. It's a little less cheesy and a little more gritty in parts, but there are enough moments of clever humor to give the viewer a break from the gradually building tension.

The Amazing Spider-Man does have flaws. But in my opinion, its good points are so good that they cancel out the missteps. Andrew Garfield brings the wisecracking, geeky, sometimes mischievous Peter Parker from the original comics to life better than anyone I've seen (or heard, in animation) thus far. He nails the sense of humor that was frequently lacking from Maguire's Spidey. I had my doubts about Emma Stone as Gwen, but her acting was superb as well. She and Garfield have great chemistry on screen, which bodes well for the future. Really all the main cast was terrific, but I must make a special mention of Dennis Leary's Captain Stacy. He truly did a fantastic job. The special effects in regard to Spider-Man's web-slinging and other stunts were breathtaking, and clever cinematography draws the audience into the action effortlessly. The music was forgettable for the most part, but served its purpose in the more dramatic scenes (much like the soundtrack to The Avengers).

In short, watching this movie was a delight for me as a long-time Spider-Fan, even with the memory of Raimi's better efforts fresh in my mind, and I'm very much looking forward to the sequel (teased at the end of this movie by an intriguing mid-credits scene). Worth buying, worth watching, and worth re-watching. It's a fun, engaging superhero film, and deserves to be judged on its own merits, which are considerable. Please don't let the unfair amount of negativity surrounding this movie scare you away from it. If you give it a chance, you won't be sorry.
5454 comments|482 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
After watching the first five minutes of The Amazing Spiderman, I knew I was gonna like it; after the first hour (which includes a lot of exposition without being tedious) I actually preferred this one to the Raimi versions mainly cuz I think it possesses an intensity and believability that the previous films lacked.

Marvel seems to be producing more mature, rebooted versions of all their super-hero series and I actually prefer this variation on the Spider Man story as well, especially the disappearance of the pointless Mary Jane obsession (which always made me respect Spidey a little less). I suspect that a more scientifically savvy audience appreciates an ever evolving origins story and I also enjoyed the initial dealing-with-new-superpowers interlude which was very amusing and again just seemed a much more realistic reaction from Peter Parker to his new abilities. Exceptional performances for Peter and Gwen are what truly make this production stand out from every other action-packed big-budget flick out there, not to mention a truly scary and menacing super-villain causing some sequences to play a little like a horror film. The tragic loss of his uncle is intensely emotional making the motivation for becoming a vigilante seem more credible, while the use of fantasy tech to supplement his powers added to this as well. love Martin Sheen as uncle Ben, never been much of a Sally Fields fan but apparently the producers were looking for star power to offset the use of mostly unknowns in the starring roles (which I think was a stroke of brilliance by the way).

The FX action sequences are seamless, gorgeous, captivating and again convincing (hitting on this alot I know but I think it's an essential factor). It's the details that make the difference, like while on the job at dizzying heights getting a call on his cell from aunt May reminding him to pick up eggs on his way home. The wise-cracking Spidey is not only back but actually funny with flawless comedic timing throughout and the gratuitous Stan Lee cameo was priceless. This is a new Spider-man, a better one, one whom you will be emotionally invested in by the dramatic ending which brilliantly wraps up an all-around excellent, excellent film! :o)
on January 25, 2016
It seemed strange for Spider-Man to be rebooted so soon after the successful conclusion of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man trilogy. Yet, the result was a spectacular and amazing treat. Andrew Garfield brings a sense of fun and lightheartedness to the character of Peter Parker/Spider-Man that seemed to be missing from Maquire's Spidey. Peter's origin is tweaked slightly to bring a bit of mystery and intrigue into the character, and so too, the origin of Spider-Man is a bit tweaked. The inclusion of Gwen Stacey is a wonderful choice, harkening back to the early comics, when Gwen was Spidey's love interest, not Mary Jane. In addition, the transformation of Dr. Connors from scientist into villain feels organic...in so many movies, the hero rises and then, seemingly out of nowhere, so too does a villain to challenge him. In this movie, the villain is not coming from left field, but rather the hero and villain, Spider-Man and the Lizard, share a background story, in creating one, the other was created. The rise of the villain is not contrived, but rather is intrinsic in the story.

There are many great moments in this movie, but to me, among the most powerful, is the brief moment when Flash, the stereotypical jock/bully, offers a word of comfort and sympathy to Peter at the loss of his uncle. This brief interlude is but a further example of the exceptional character development of even minor "background" characters like Flash.

Spider-Man remains popular in our modern mythos because he is the nerd who made good, the guy who brought hope. He does in this movie for sure.
on May 3, 2014
My 9 year old is into Spider-Man, so he wanted to buy this movie on amazon, so I opted for this package and it worked fine. They sent us an email with a code and I went online to schedule us to see Spider-Man 2 (I still had to pay $6 - fandango charges a $2.50 handling fee) We saw Spider-Man 2 today and it was pretty good! We liked it better than the first one. I guess we also get $5 off Spider-Man 2 when it comes into amazon prime, which is good cuz we'll probably get it. REALLY good CGI effects!
on March 26, 2014
Okay so you got the typical Spidey saves the girl, world and not Uncle Ben but much like the late 70's tv version you get to see how smart Peter Parker really is. Unlike the last 3 versions of Spiderman the wise cracken is enjoyable. They totally had fun with one and judging from the previews of Spiderman II it will be a must see block buster full of nemess'sss...I know I used to many esss, lol. Must see and well worth it!
on December 16, 2012
Director Marc Webb (500 Says of Summer) brings new life to Marvel Comics' wall-crawling hero in the fun-filled superhero adventure The Amazing Spider-Man. Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) is a nerdy high school student and social outcast who attempts to discover the truth behind his parents disappearance when he was young, but a strange twist of fate leads him to the life as New York City's friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Parker will need all his special skills and courage to stop his father's former partner, research scientist Curt Connors (Rhys Ifans), who has developed a revolutionary regeneration serum that transforms him into a monstrous 9-foot tall reptile. As a reboot of the popular film franchise, The Amazing Spider-Man preserves many of the key elements of the previous Sam Raimi films, but Marc Webb adds some of his own creativity to the mix. Despite its darker tone, the film features some amusingly lighthearted and comedic moments, impressive visual effects and rousing excitement. The Amazing Spider-Man also stars Emma Stone, Denis Leary, Martin Sheen and Sally Field.

The Blu-Ray release of The Amazing Spider-Man is certainly top-notch. The superhero adventure is presented in its theatrical 2.35:1 format. Its High Definition digital transfer is quite incredible with stunning detail y rich colors. Its 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio is also remarkable. The Blu-Ray features a feature-length audio commentary track with director Marc Webb and producers Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, over 16 minutes of deleted scenes, storyboards, animated sequences, an interactive picture gallery, behind-the-scene footage, and the seven-part documentary Rite of Passage: The Amazing Spider-Man Reborn. Overall, The Amazing Spider-Man scores a "B+".
on December 31, 2015
I don't care what the reviews say, this series is 100% better then the first. Spider man has always been my favorite superhero because he wasn't perfect and had real weaknesses (unlike superman) and didn't us a bunch of gadgets to to the job (like iron man or bat man). I'm still debating on wither I want to get the second one, which I really liked but the ending made me so hopping mad! Oh well, this one is great, service and all.
With this being the forth though technically rebooted movie of Spider-Man all I can say is while the actor and actress who play the lead roles were very good overall it wasn't as big as when the first Spider-Man movie came out. While it's good with this one as we get to see the early years of Peter Parker and his teens as well as a somewhat new look at the start of his super hero career it didn't really leave me with the excitement I got with the first Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst,though that's probably with all the slew of the recent Super hero movies that have come out since then as well.The actions and effects are top notch and some of the witty comeback one liners from the new Spider-Man fit with the comic book character too so if you already have the previous Spider-Man movies then this is a must have as well for you to enjoy too.
on May 7, 2013
Another re-do of a movie I thought they did really well the first time. This one has some changes that baffled me, Peter was a bit more confident than I remember him in the comics, the web shooters were mechanical again (I really thought the mutation version was a better way of going about it) and the stuff about his parents is like many other things in movies that are best left to the imagination. The Lizard was well done, hulking, fast and one of the better parts. I still don’t know why this particular franchise likes taking a well-known redhead/blonde and making them the other, even if that is their real hair color in the case of Ms. Stone. Baffling. I liked this, again, wasn’t really a needed re-do in my opinion but they didn’t totally mess it up. I would have done 3 stars but Spider-man is for me a +1 in anything.
on March 28, 2014
Enjoyed the movie. It's a little too quick to reboot the franchise this quick, but what's done is done. I was not impressed by Andrew Garfield's acting, but I wasn't a big fan of Tobey Maguire either. I watched the film for the escape of it, with its interesting story and great special effects.
I know we are not reviewing shipping in these reviews, but I think people should be aware when there are problems with the product so they won't get stuck like I did. I ordered The Amazing Spider-Man (Three-Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy) and the outside slip cover that covers the interior case said just that. Well I bought this as a gift so it was not opened until well after the 30 day return window. When it was opened, the inside case was labeled Blu-Ray + DVD. No Ultraviolet mentioned on the interior case, so of course there was no code to activate the Ultraviolet. Someone must have taken the Blu-Ray / DVD +Ultraviolet case out of the slip cover and placed a Blu-Ray + DVD case in it instead. I'm not a big fan of the UltraViolet system, so I wasn't too broke up about it, but I do like to get what is advertised. If the Ultraviolet is important to you, slip the case out of the cover and make sure you got the right version.