Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Size: One Size|Color: Blue|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on September 30, 2012
First impressions are that this case is the best iPhone case i have ever owned hands down. I previously owned an iPhone 4 and had a variety of cases on it such as a Gryffin one with a fabric back, apple bumper and a speck candyshell grip. This case is very slim and feels very nice in the hand, it also has an adequate lip around the edge of the phone which is great for laying it face down.
I definitely think this lip is perfectly sized any bigger and it would make the case to thick, the other review says it should be bigger but i completely disagree. The lip is about 2mm which is great as it doesn't get in the way at all. With mine it is definitely a snug fit with no movement at all even when squeezing it. Also a good feature is it doesn't cover any of the screen as some cases come over the edge and would be trouble for any screen protector, this case will have no problem with any full sized screen protector.
The buttons all feel very responsive with no extra effort at all. One last great feature of this case are the cutouts. I measured the headphone cutout at approximately 7mm so double the size of the 3.5mm headphone jack which is large enough for most headphones. The charging post also has a large cutout as well as the ring/silent switch is easily accessible without needing to get your nail in there.
The only thing that i'm not really sure about with these speck cases are the speaker/microphone cutouts which are many little holes which don't seem to match up with all of the speaker holes on the phone. This doesn't seem to be a problem though as the speaker is still just as loud with the case on.
Overall this is a very good case for the money and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a long lasting case that is slim with a cool design.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2012
I have had 2 Pixel HD cases for my prior iPhone 4 and loved them for the fit and raised edge that allowed me to place my phone face down on a table. Just got my Pixel HD for my new iPhone 5 and it just does not fit the same:

1. The depth is about a business card thickness too much inside causing the corners to wiggle a little.
2. The lip edge is much smaller with a lower profile and barely prevents the face glass from making contact with a flat surface when placing the phone face down.

This would have been a great IF Speck had used about an extra 1 mm of TPU all around and 1-2 mm more of a raised lip edge. It seems very rushed to market.

Unfortunately, this case is being returned and I cannot recommend this new model for the iPhone 5.
99 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2012
I bought this case because I had a Pixelskin HD case for my iPhone 4 and was very happy with it. This one seems to be the same... but for the iPhone 5.

Fit:
Some other reviews mentioned that the fit is loose- maybe Speck adjusted their molds or something, but I bought mine a few days ago and it is VERY tight. The case does not wiggle at all.

Headphone jack hole:
The hole for the headphone jack is about as big as it can be based on the thickness of the phone (and case). If your headphone plug is large (thick), you may have to take the case off to plug it in (same as with the iPhone 4 Pixelskin HD).

Front "lip":
Another review mentioned the front lip was not deep enough to raise the screen off a surface if you put the phone face down. I find this is not the case. The lip is ~1.5mm, which is enough to keep the screen raised when the phone is face down.

Anyway I'm pretty happy with this case.
on December 19, 2012
Loose fit jiggles a bit and the volume + sort of pushes and the - hardly pushes at all. I've formerly owned the 4/4S PixelSkin HD.

After giving Speck the SKU, Barcode, and Serial Number molded in the rubber when it was made...They sent me an email back telling me they believed it wasn't a authentic Speck case and I could ship it to them for replacement. However if they determined it wasn't authentic it would be sent to their "legal department" they wouldn't be sending the case nor a replacement back.

This was a Prime item that was purchased.
on December 5, 2014
I purchased this case directly from Speck for my iPhone 5. I had this same case for the iphone 4 and i love it. Felt great, good amount of grip, and protected my case against many drops. What does a logical man do? Buy the same thing for his iPhone 5. Loved this case for the same reasons right up until I got my iphone 6 and I took my iPhone 5 out of the case. The back edge looks like it was chipped away somehow. What I thought was an iphone in perfect condition is in reality quite damaged due to this case. No clue how this could have happened. Put some felt in the case or something. Suffice it to say that I won't be buying this case for the iPhone 6.
review image
on June 13, 2014
I had a Speck PixelSkin rubberized case for my iPhone 4 which I LOVED. It was a soft rubbery plastic that was secure around the phone, secure in your grip, and provided some squishy landings if the phone was dropped a short distance to a surface by accident. When I upgraded to the iPhone 5s, I ordered what seemed to be the same case here. It fits as easily and does have at least some "give" to it, but the material is NOT rubberized in my opinion. It is harder; it has less "grippiness" in your hand, less cushioning for a short drop. The "pixels" on the back are smaller squares and the part of the case that overlaps the edges of the screen stand up less from the glass, providing less protection. So, while I like this case more than many hard-skin cases because it is easier to put on/off, I'm not as happy with this case at all for safety/security. I have taken off two stars because this is why you get a case: safety and security. I'm hoping that someone will take the "Rubberized" word out of the description, because the case is not very rubberized at all.
on July 5, 2013
The case is a very nice medium red. But it did not work for me, because the back is just plastic. This sides and the inside of the case are rubberized. The plastic in the back makes it a very slippery case. I send it back for a refund. I think the description is somewhat misleading, because it says "rubberized case", so I obviously was under the assumption that it is rubberized all over.
on November 2, 2013
I got this case and within seconds of checking it out, I sent it back for a return. The product information says it is 'rubberized,' but it feels like it is completely made out of plastic. I have a hard time believing this will provide any sort of protection for my 5s.

I had a speck pixelskin case for my 4s and I absolutely loved it but I am not seeing any similar cases made by speck like the one I had for the 4s. But I did find a different manufacturer that makes something similar.

*** If you are looking for a similar case like Speck made for the old 4s phones (you know those REAL rubber ones) check out this case: Snugg iPhone 5 / 5S Silicone Case in Black - Non-Slip Material, Protective and Soft to Touch for the Apple iPhone 5 / 5S it is the closest I have found to the one speck cases ***

Overall would not recommend this speck case.
on December 27, 2012
I read some of the reviews before I made the purchase, knowing that there are complaints for poor manufacturing or craftsmanship. So I thought about "well, if it doesn't pan out, I would just return it"

I got it this morning "blue harbor version", and it actually fits rather well with iPhone 5. It gives you enough wiggle room to fit the device inside the case without scratching the edges. Once it is inside, it feels fit, and device doesn't move around as far as I can tell. The case, even though it is rubberized, is actually quite rigid plastic (only the little matte squares are somewhat rubberized).

The only complaint I have so far with this phone is that some people (not everyone) complain that they can't seem to hear me all that well. Looking closely at the case, Speck tries its best to fit all the individual mic/speaker openings to the actual openings on iPhone 5. However, if the device moves a little bit to the right or left inside the case (not noticeable from pure visual inspection), I suppose those openings can get obstructed. Another theory to the voice quality drop is entirely unrelated to the case itself. I have heard report on drops in voice quality via LTE, so I need to verify if voice quality does improve if I disable LTE.

And I am in Houston, TX, where LTE band 17 is operated.
on October 3, 2014
I really like this case because it goes on and comes off quite easily (but it stays on without any issues). The profile is thin (not the thinnest, but pretty damn thin). The edges are raised so you can actually place your phone face down and it shouldn't scratch the surface.

My two major gripes with this product comes in the bottom half of the case and the price. As far as the lower half of the case is concerned, I wish the opening for the lightning input took adapters into account. You know how everything switched over to the lightning cable? Yeah, I wasn't about to buy all new cables because I got a new phone so I bought an adapter to keep using my old cables.

It's equally as much my own fault for not investing in the new cables, but it's a shame that most cases don't take this into consideration. I have to take my case off any time I want to charge it with one of my old cables so I've left my adapter at home so I can take my case off when I charge it at night. I've replaced my car cable with a new lightning cord so I don't have to take the case off while on the go.

This case is wonderful and basic, but that makes me really question why the price is so high. I bought it because I've had great experiences with my old Speck PixelSkin HD for my iPhone 4. Back then, it was free because of the whole antenna fiasco. I wish this case was $10 and not $20, but I bit the bullet because it's still a solid case and I had an Amazon gift card..