Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Color: Black/Grey|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on October 12, 2012
This is a great case. It looks good, fits perfectly, has cutouts in all the right places, has its own buttons that line up exactly with the power and volume buttons, adds a lip so the iPhone doesn't rest directly on its face when put face down and has a kickstand that works for both portrait and landscape modes.

Other cases with kickstands fall down when the iPhone or the table is bumped; the "rubber band" effect causes those kickstands to fold away when bumped. By design, the kickstand on this case stays out until you put it away. No amount of bumping will allow this kickstand to accidentally fold up.

The kickstand's weakness is that its viewing angle isn't adjustable. When I use the kickstand in portrait mode for Facetime, the iPhone is always angled at 75 degrees or so. This means that I have to sit close to and above the iPhone so people can see me in the camera. It also means that the view is a little awkward because the background behind me is pretty far up the wall which looks odd to the viewer. It'd be nicer if I could adjust it to a steeper angle, like 80 or 85 degrees or so. My workaround is to put an Post-It notepad under the kickstand or find something else to wedge behind it for a closer-to-90-degree angle. It's not a deal killer but it's a minor drawback.

It doesn't have a cutout for the Apple logo on the back of the iPhone; some people like having that.

The case is rubbery plastic. It was protect from scuffs and most drops. But it isn't a "candy shell".
on November 3, 2012
My last case was a leather Case Mate that was pretty torn up after 3.5 years, but provided terrific protection most of that time. With my new iPhone 5, I needed a new one and preferred to have the built in kick-stand. The Speck offers a unique solution to this and overall consider this a decent buy.

PROS:

-Good design concept
-Doesn't add unwanted bulk (in fact, I wanted something that made the iPhone 5 fatter for easier grip)
-Good materials and decent grip

CONS:

-The bottom cross bar that goes underneath the Home button is weak a point as it is loose already. My expectation is that after being pulled out of my pocket 100-200 times, it will pull and begin to sag - becoming both unattractive and a liability.
-While the stand is novel in it's design, it seems very fragile. If it lasts a couple of years, it's genius.
-The stand is too vertical, standing at about 80 degrees in both portrait and landscape mode. This makes viewing close up difficult (as on an airplane)
on September 25, 2013
This case has a nice kickstand.

And It adds a little protection from scuffs and drops.

But its sides are too slippery. I helped that situation some by spraying epoxy grit on the sides. That helps a lot, and the grit doesn't seem to be rubbing off-- but only time will tell how well the spray on grit will stay on.

Also, when you are holding the phone to your ear, you will likely notice a "sharp" edge surround the back of the phone. This is because the back of this case is made with hard plastic that sticks out farther than the soft sides. Speck put a bezel on the back plastic piece, but it is an angle instead of a rounded edge, and since it is wider than the sides, you can easily feel that edge. A lot of people might not notice or care, but I bet they would prefer one with a softer not "sharp" back edge. I will likely take some sand paper and see if I can smooth out the edge some.

This is my first case with a kickstand, and I really wanted a kickstand. Maybe all cases with kickstands have these or other problems. And maybe this is the best kickstand case out there. And if it is, then maybe this deservers more stars, but it seems like Speck could have made a few small design changes to fix the slipper sides and the "sharp" back edge issues-- and if they took the time to do that, then I would have been happy to give this 5 stars regardless of what other kickstand phones are out there.

UPDATE: Most of the spray grit wore off in a week. But the texture that is left seems like it will stay and that it is more than it had out of box. I took a knife and carved off a bit of the back edge. On closer inspection, I think the "sharp" edge was a bead of leftover product when they melted/joined the sides together with the back. It is much more comfortable to hold now, but it is not nearly as nice as other cases. But then again, this case has a kickstand. With my modifications, I am happy with this case.
on January 16, 2013
First off, this is a good case that is, in my opinion, solidly built. The stand mechanism is surprisingly sturdy especially considering that its first impression is that it would be pretty flimsy. Everything on the iphone 5 is well accessible with the case on, no issues connecting cables/headphones or pressing any of the buttons. The slightly raised bevel does well for protecting the phone when placed face down.

My only ding on this case is that the stand, in my opinion, was placed incorrectly. The stand works perfectly for landscape view. However, if you want to want to use the stand in the portrait orientation you cannot have headphones or the lightning cable plugged in. Most of the time this is not a huge deal because most of what you would watch is landscape, but for certain apps like Pandora (which for some reason dropped landscape support) it makes things a bit awkward.

I gave the overall case 4 stars but I would give the stand 5 stars in landscape and 1 star in portrait.
on February 5, 2013
I purchased this case along with the Moshi iGlaze Kameleon and the Incipio Dual Pro to determine if I could make a stand case work. Thanks to Speck, the answer is a resounding yes. The Moshi is basically a stand only offering no protection. The Incipio is a great product, equal in its feel, coverage, protection and quality, except for the fact that its stand is a standalone product which you'd have to carry separately. Not an option for me.

The SmartFlex is an excellent full coverage case. The case completely wraps the phone and allows you to set your phone face down without making contact with the surface. The speaker and headphone cutouts work well. The volume buttons are extremely crisp. As noted by other reviews, the top On/Off button does feel slightly softened or muted but I've had no issues with getting it to engage. This case is not bulky. Its bigger than the slim cases, but nowhere near the size of the Ballistic or Otterbox style hockey pucks for your pocket.

The stand is slick! It slides and clicks in-and-out of place with ease and can be used in either Landscape or Portrait positions. If you're looking for a full coverage case, that isn't too bulky and has a stand ideal for Facetime, Skype, Sonos, or any type of "active" control/app, then this is your case. There simply isn't another comparable product on the market that combines all of these features.
on October 7, 2013
GREAT protection (have practically thrown this phone multiple times on accident and you'd never know it), but a bit bulky. If you use the stand part quite a bit, you'll be pleased. If you think you'll only use that once in a while, probably only put this case on when you'll use it for the stand. I found it pretty easy to take off and put on. Overall, great case, just bulky.
on August 3, 2013
In my research into iPhone 5 cases, I think I read somewhere that Speck had a candyshell view case for the iPhone 4. If this had been available for the 5, I think it would have been my ideal case. When I first got my phone, I wanted a case for it right away, so I went to Target and got a case that I knew was good, even though it didn't meet all my requirements (the Speck candyshell). I figured it would hold me over until I got this one -- which it did very nicely and I liked it a lot.

When I got this one, I loved it, but I was disappointed with the protection it offered in comparison to the candyshell. The sides can be wiggled, whereas on my candyshell, they didn't budge. The bevel edge on the candyshell was also more raised and thicker. It just seemed like it offered more shock protection in general.

That being said, I have dropped my phone on hard surfaces and it's fine. I also got a screen protector for it, so that helps too. The kickstand can't be beat. It's an amazing feature for anyone who watches a lot on their screen. I watch videos on youtube while I pump breastmilk, so that was what made me choose it. I really love the kickstand and, as far as I am concerned, it adds no weight or thickness. Also, the design does not leave any part of the phone exposed, nor does it rely on careful balancing or gravity in order to keep it open. It's out when you want it, and gone when you don't.

Finally, I was a bit disappointed with the color. The color had seemed like a pretty yellow in the pictures, but it's more of a green. I think it's called lemongrass and that's actually pretty accurate. Imagine a yellowy-green stalk of lemongrass.
on April 8, 2014
I've gone through probably 7 or 8 cases for my iPhone 5 before I found this one. I always considered kickstand cases to be kind of gimmicky, but I got into watching Netflix on my lunchbreaks and found it to be very useful. This is the sleekest kickstand case you will find out there, and protects the phone wonderfully. There is a lip that keeps the screen from contacting the surface you have it laying on in case you want to put it face down. My only complaints are that the bottom edge of the case seems to be slightly deformed and kind of bows outward away from the phone slightly (it doesn't affect the functionality or protectiveness of the case in any way, it just bugs me), and the kickstand in landscape mode seems to keep the phone a little too vertical for my liking. Other than that, this is the perfect iPhone case!
on July 23, 2015
so disappointing--thin cheap slippery plastic without any layer of rubberized cushioning. The "kickstand" is a very flimsy piece of plastic that pulls out and snaps into place. I dont think it will last long...way overpriced, wish I had not ordered this.
on July 3, 2015
This is my 2nd Speck SmartFlex Case. I had the other one for nearly 2 year and it was still in great condition. I accidentally got hair dye on the first one. The retractable kickstand is my favorite part. I drop my phone fairly frequently and these speck products really do a great job of protecting the fragile iPhone. Love this brand!